You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Tales From The Homeplace

Real Ghost Stories

Tales From The Homeplace

 

The old homeplace started out as a simple four room farmhouse with an attic type upstairs. It had porches in both front and back, with part of the back porch having been turned into a "smokehouse". The floor plan was simple, coming in through the front door was the living room, to your right was the master bedroom. The attic sat on top of these two rooms, with the L-shaped staircase coming out into the living room. The kitchen and dining room abutted these two rooms, with a door from the living room leading to the kitchen. As you entered the kitchen, to your left was the dining room door and in the far end of the kitchen was a door going to the back porch.

I started living here when I was six following my real parents' divorce, so the year would be 1961. All the kids slept upstairs, except the oldest which slept in a makeshift bedroom in the dining room. The dining room was probably the most haunted room in the house. First I will tell you what I can attest to.

The room had an eeriness about it that would strike terror in us kids. It was like there was something in there that absolutely hated you. Although nothing ever bothered us, we would run past the doorway. This could have all been in our heads but the coldness of the room wasn't. We actually used the room for a refrigator. We had a milk cow, so we had plenty of milk and butter and we kept it in this room to keep from spoiling, even in the hottest part of summer. You could hear crashing noises coming from the room and when you checked nothing would be out of place.

At other times you could hear crashes and when you checked the honey cans would be scattered all over the floor. The door had a habit of locking from the inside. The "lock" we had was an old fashioned turn latch, like you found on outhouse doors. You could wait awhile and go back, the door would be unlocked. These I witnessed with my own eyes.

The following events I can't attest to, I wasn't there but I can attest to the honesty of the ones that were. I believe it to be true. This incident happened in the mid to late fifties. It was Christmas Eve and the family had all gathered in to spend the holidays together. They were all in the kitchen laughing and talking when one of them went to get something from the dining room and the door was locked. Everyone was accounted for, so Pete, one of the son-in-laws, put his shoulder to the door and forced it open, knocking the latch off in the floor. They got what they wanted and Pete nailed the latch back in place so tight that he couldn't turn it. He laughed and said something to the effect that he would like to see it (he called it a name) lock it now.

No sooner than he pulled the door to, it latched again. He forced it open again and this time he nailed the latch with two 16 penny nails, side by side-making it impossible for the latch to turn. When he closed the door - it latched. Just when he was about to force the door for the third time, it sounded like all hell broke loose in the dining room. It sounded like something was tearing the room apart. Pete started to go in the room but Mom and Dad stopped him, telling him to wait until "it" settled down.

When things got quite about ten minutes later, he started to force the door open but decided to check it first. He pushed on the door and it opened as easy as pie. He walked in and nothing was out of place except the latch to the door was laying clear across the room. The two nails that held it in place was twisted together like you would twist electrical wiring. Nothing else happened that night and the room was quite for a long time thereafter.

More to follow...

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FRAWIN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Hello lilblackpom. Thank you for your comment and yes the old dining room could be scary at times but it wasn't the scariest. Some stories should never be told. I have many more stories to tell and some that I'll never tell.
Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Wow Frawin... This sounded scary. Thanks again for another interesting story. I can't wait to read more from you. Jude 😊 ❤
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Hi troyarn.Thankfully,when the dining room existed I didn't have to pass by it when nature called after midnight-it was just a trip out the front door to the edge of the woods, even though this was scary, it was better than passing THAT DOORWAY.
Thank you for your comment. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Very good story, Frawin! Now the midnight trip to the bathroom includes all lights on.
I have to wonder what angry spirit caused so much commotion? Especially one that TWISTS nails together (if I had seen that I would have never set foot in that house again).

Reading your story, I could actually visulize and hear the lock being messed with. Thanks very much for letting us in on this.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
No the old dining room is no longer there. We tore the old dining room, kitchen and back porch down years ago and rebuilt adding a dining room,kitchen,two bedrooms and a bath. The "being" retreated into a closet in one of the bedrooms where it has lain dormant now for years now. The coldness left after we tore the old part off and hasn't returned. I guess you could say we have reached a compromise-it don't bother us and we don't bother it.
As for the lock in was on the inside of the dining room. We/they wasn't trying to lock it in -it was trying to keep us out. I think it just got pissed at my brother-in-law for challenging it.

FRAWIN 😊
racemustang (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
Spirits move freely through the land. Locks are something that were created to keep out those who would do us harm. I would ask your parents to remove the latch and see if the damage still happens. Sometimes we offend those that have lived before us just by putting in place the things that we now need for protection. They do not understand the need, as they do not, or did not use them themselves. If the room is still used for refrigeration, I can see still needing the lock, so why not try a slip lock? A piece of true leather that slips over a wooden nail.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
Hello Shelby,
No we never did feel like it was truly evil, just angry-especially if it felt like you were provoking it. I dreaded going into that room as a child. I never did unless momma sent me in there for something and then you felt like you were being watched. It could have been just our nerves but it sure felt real. It is still there but it's been dormat for years now. By dormat I mean there has been no major "hissy fits" but you can feel it's presence at times. My wife is an empath and she will not go in the room it took up residence in after the old dining room was torn down.
I hope you're feeling better,we've missed you on here. Take Care and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊 ❤
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
FRAWIN~
It is amazing the things we get through and overcome through all of the years. Like you said, "What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger"! I truely believe in that. Your stories are always so interesting to read. I enjoy them very much. I remember at times running past certain rooms being frightened by nothing seen just felt. Especially coming from the hallway and having to turn the light off behind me while nearly giving myself a heart attack trying to get away from the darkness behind me! I think the worst goosebumps you get are the ones that form all over your head where it feels like your hair is standing on end. I remember many times walking into a room and every hair on my body would stand on end instantly and then I would say, "Okay, I'm leaving now and you should to"! To whatever this being was. It surely did not feel nice but not evil either. The paranormal amazes me in so many ways. There are so many questions as to why they are here and what they want. Anyway, thanks again for a great story and hope my story that I submitted around the 5th of February will be published soon.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Something that can bend nails would be very scary indeed. I have always wondered how spirits not being physical could do physical things like that. Reminds me of the movie Ghost where the spirit had to learn to move things. Many old farmhouses are haunted. Maybe it's the ground they are built on or something about the history of the place itself. Sounds like the typical poltergeist and they can be a noisy bunch.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hi Chris.It's only natural to be scared when something supernatural happens. If someone says they wasn't scared they are either lying to you or lying to themselves. The most natural reaction that I've found when something unnatural happens is that you, A:Scream like a schoolgirl /B:You run like a hound dog that has just peed on the electric fence. I am six foot-four inches tall and weigh 275 lbs and I'm not ashamed to tell you I've done BOTH.
As far as going crazy over these episodes we were always taught that what don't kills you just makes you stronger. While I may not be completely normal,I've managed not to go crazy 😊.Take care my friend.

FRAWIN 😁
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hi Bell, little heads zipping along... Uh - it was more like rearends and elbows going by at speeds that would put Nascar speed records to shame 😆.I am glad you enjoyed it and gave you a chuckle or two, laughter is always good for the soul. More will follow-I promise. Take Care and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊 ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Wow!That was scary Frawin. I sometimes wonder how you got through all of this and didn't go crazy! 😁 This must have been very hard for you. I would go crazy. I loved your story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care my friend
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
FRAWIN, thanks for sharing another of your excellent stories from 'the homeplace'. I really enjoyed it. I can just see the little heads zipping along past the doorway! 😆 That was good for a chuckle, the little ones zipping along, not the cranky bugger in the dining room!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Well hope you can find out what you want to know about the place Frawin. Still a good story just the same.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Hi Flutter, actually I loved living there and I still manage to "go home" two or three times a month. Even though some frightful things did happen, I had many more good things experiences there. I guess what I'm trying to say is the good times outweighed the bad.
We know there use to be two, maybe three other houses that use to be there(or in the general area) prior to 1916, we just don't know who lived there. This will be what I'm trying to find out.

FRAWIN ❤
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
[at] Frawin, that must of been a very frightful place to live. Did you ever find out anything else about this house, besides when it came into your family in 1916?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Thank you all for your comments and show of support. I will try to answer you all individually.
rhodes68 :Thanks for the comment and I,myself have a hard time sleeping when I think back to all the past happenings.
KimSouthO:We have a pretty good history of the homeplace, at least back to 1916 when it came into our family but we have no idea who or what was in the old dining room.
Ohiowatha : Thanks for your support, it means a lot to me. To have the respect of a "skeptic" says a lot. I always say that the truth about an paranormal experience is scary enough without embellishing or outright lying about it.
whitebuffalo:Sane...did someone accuse me of being sane? I don't know if I would be declared "clinically sane" or not but I've never thought clearer. I feel there are many that walks the halls, some intelligent and some that I would consider residual. The "thing" in the dining room I wouldn't consider demonic or even evil for that matter. I think it's angry, you can be angry and not be evil. I don't know why but I feel that the thing is tied to the land and not the house itself. I plan on doing a little research and see who owned the land before 1916.

FRAWIN ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Wwwwow! What the ----? How are you SANE, FRAWIN? My Lord, growing up in the places that you describe must have been one goose bump after another.
What I want to know (you knew there was a question coming, didn't you?) is if you know how many entities were in that home and what is the history there?
It certainly does not feel as if there were only one Being roaming those halls.
Thank you.
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Wow! That has to be a strong entity to bend nails! That's so interesting. I am looking forward to more of your stories!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Fraw--YOU ARE THE MAN, and then some. I knew before even reading this was going to be a good one.

I sincerely appreciate delineating between what YOU can attest to and what incidents to which you ascribe truth, but on the merit of your relatives' integrity and not your own experience. Both hold equal credit and this dichotomy made the story for me. I was totally hooked after you pointed out the difference between these two modes of credibility.

And what's more, there's just something genuine about how this spirit or whatnot acted as opposed to demonic forces toying with kids telling them their life story and blah blah blah. THIS is how supernatural forces affect their environment, as far as I can tell. This is truth; I'm not degrading others' tales outright, but I'd bet money on this one.

Thanks (as always) man!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
Wow! That would be terrifying, to have a challenge put right in your face by this, thing.

Do you ahve any idea of the history of the home? Of the room?

I look forward to hearing more!
God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-07)
One thing I can assure you of,Frawin,is... I won't have an easy sleep tonight. The part about the nails being twisted was far too creepy! I'll be looking forward to the rest of the events in the house though. Obviously, I like tormenting myself.
Thanks for a great story 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: