You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady In The Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady In The Room

 

As I sit here by candlelight, at my sturdy, hard mahogany wooden writing desk, I write this strange encounter, which I can only describe as a mysterious Lady.

My Wife's sister was admitted to local hospital for pneumonia just after the New Year's celebrations.

My wife and I visited her every evening while she was in the hospital along side her parents. Her health was bad, but the doctors believed she would pull through within the week.

After the hospital, me and my wife would stop by her parent's house as it was on the way to ours and draw the curtains as it was dark at five pm. My wife parents would leave much later, preferring to stay with their daughter all they could as they feared for her.

One evening, like every other evening after our hospital visit, we stopped at my wife's parents house. Normally I would draw the curtains upstairs and my wife would draw the curtains downstairs.

I walked up stairs and across with landing, starting with my in-law's bedroom. The door was ajar and as I opened it, the atmosphere changed instantly. I can not explain it. It was an uneasy atmosphere but not an unpleasant one.

As I opened the door, in the dusk of the evening, with the room darkened yet not completely dark, a figure walked from the shadows by the window on my left towards the wardrobe on my right, walking diagonally across the room.

The figure was that of a woman who was on the larger side with hunched shoulders. She was wearing a woolen cardigan with a floral green dress. I could not see her face, but she looked familiar.

I must have seen her for four to five seconds before she disappeared in front of my eyes.

My brain did not register what I had just seen, and I walked into the room to draw the curtains. My in-law's bedroom has two windows overlooking the front garden.

I drew the curtains of the first window where the woman had began walking from and while I was drawing the curtains of the second window, I realized what I had just witnessed.

I was startled and quickly looked behind me expecting to see the woman there. But she was not. I turned on the lights and searched the whole house for her, not informing my wife what I was doing.

I did not tell my wife what I had witnessed, and I ponder many a year on who the woman was as she seemed so familiar to me. It took me about two years to find out who she was. It was so simple on observation that I overlooked it for two whole years.

We were at my in-laws for Sunday lunch and I made my way through the hall where there is a table full of photos in frames of various family members.

One happened to catch my eye and it was of the wife's Grandma who had taken her life about 10 years earlier, a time before I met my wife.

The picture resembled the woman I had seen in the room. That was why she was familiar to me. She was on the larger side, hunched over and was wearing a floral dress but with no cardigan.

I had never met my wife's Grandma while she and I was alive. But I had met while she was dead, and I was alive.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dhewitt1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

8-bitDemigod (8 stories) (38 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-04-12)
I hope that wasn't a portend about your sister-in-law.

You should ask your wife and in-laws about whether or not this is a regular occurrence.

I hope your sister-in-lanw gets better soon.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-03-15)
Hi Dhewitt1

Thanks for sharing. I love the beginning of this tale.

I'm instantly transported back to the 17th or 18th century; "As I sit here by candlelight, at my sturdy, hard mahogany wooden writing desk, I write this strange encounter, which I can only describe as a mysterious Lady..."

I see that you have opted to NOT participate in the discussion, which is a shame, however, you may decide that you will. If so, are you able to please clarify a couple of points? One, to echo MrsRamsay's question; when did this encounter occur?

Another facet of this that puzzles me is why didn't you mention to your wife that you had seen a figure disappear in front of your eyes? I'm sure that would be the first thing most of us would blurt out to our better half as soon as possible?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Loved the beginning!

Regards

Mack
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
3 years ago (2021-03-15)
So one quick question: Are you allowed to go into a hospital with patients in the UK right now? In the southern U.S., family cannot even accompany our loved ones into the emergency room due to covid.

Just wondered. Thanks!
JoJorocks (4 stories) (27 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-15)
Your wife's grandma is still probably guarding their house even though she passed away.
Rajine (14 stories) (740 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-03-13)
Hi dhewitt1

That indeed must have been a startling experience for you have you spoken to your wife about her grandmother?
It's quite tragic when someone ends their life unexpectedly, did she live in your in laws house while she was alive? I think maybe she still has some unfinished business here.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: