You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spirit with a Motherly Attitude in County Sligo

Real Ghost Stories

Spirit with a Motherly Attitude in County Sligo

 

This account is taken from my mother's diary where she recorded many paranormal experiences through her life. This is an accurate account. On the 11th May 1971 my mother was staying at her aunt's house in County Sligo with her toddler sister. This was my mother's birthday. Before I begin to narrate this story I must give some information about the house in which she was staying. It is in the Lissadell Estate which was owned by the Gore Booth family.

The place is riddled with spirits from the Irish Famine which wiped out the majority of the local tenants. This particular house was lived in by an unknown Irish family of tenant farmers. All the information that was known about them is that their five children died of starvation in the house and their parent's immigrated to America.

The following is a commonly believed tale about the house. An English aristocrat visited the estate and died suddenly (presumed heart failure) in the kitchen of the house. Why an aristocrat would want to visit a tenant farmers house is a mystery. With these two legends in mind, I begin my narrative. After the small celebration which was held for my mother's birthday; she and her sister were sent to bed. The room in which they slept in is now nicknamed "The Cold Room..."

The walls were not decorated with anything other than fading pink wall paper and picture which gave the ominous impression that its eyes followed you as you walked past. The pair shared a double bed for the night. Her young sister, since she was so young; fell asleep quickly. My mother did not sleep but stayed awake; thinking of the history and legends associated with the house. Eventually she fell into a light slumber.

She was awakened by soft footsteps which beat with a loud, steady rhythm. My mother knew immediately that the footsteps were created by someone wearing boots. She thought it was her aunt since she always wore boots so she was not scared. The sounds approached the bed where she and her sister lay. My mother shut her eyes to pretend she was asleep because she knew that her aunt would scold her for not being awake. A strange coldness saturated the air and she heard whispers. The words were illegible but the voice was not her aunt's but it was a woman's voice. She heard the unknown woman kiss her sleeping sister. My mother claimed she felt nauseous with terror. The footsteps seemed to turn and leave in the same style of rhythm as they had came. My mother awoke her sister and asked her had she felt or seen anything? She said no.

The same thing happened three times during the one night, the third time my mother looked at the woman. She was just a blurred shadow like figure but looked very solid. The cold emanated from the human shaped form. She watched her kiss her sister on the forehead and walked out with long strides.

My mother thoroughly questioned her aunt about whether she came into her room that night. Her aunt swore by the bible (swearing by the bible meant a lot to people at that time) that she did not once enter the room that night.

My mother never again had to sleep in that room so she has seen nothing more of the "motherly ghost" which she named it. She was rather perplexed that she did not see any spirits relating to the aforesaid legends which she was expecting to encounter.

Thirty nine years later my mother and I visited the old house. It was completely refurbished with many building extensions added on to the original structure but the room was still the same. Not in appearance but in its sinister atmosphere. It was terribly cold and dark even though the summer sun was shining through the wide window. Her cousin who now owns the house said "No matter what we do the room never heats up..."

I was impressed by this account especially since I had the opportunity to inspect the scene of the event many years after the incident happened. It certainly seems a place where a haunting could be in operation.

Other hauntings by Niall

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Niall, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

oceaneyes (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-22)
There is no doubt in my mind that Ireland is haunted, the history of that place is amazing! Thank you for the story, I enjoyed it very much, and hopefully one day I'll get to go to Ireland and see a ghost there too! 😆
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-21)
cool and VERY interesting?! 😕

good luck! X x x x x x x xx x x x x I will find some advice and you can update this soon! God bless you! Ohh 1 more tip... Go to church for gods protection x x
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
Very good story and well written. Thanks for sharing it with us. Yes the entity is the Mother of the children that she lost. Perhaps her last kiss to them, or to check on them. Either way it's a sad story how the children died. Until all their spirits go to the light, she will probably remain attached to that home. Perhaps that cold room is where, all her children died in.
Niall (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
Thank you all for commenting. Once again I am very impressed with the amount of comments my story has reieved.

I have another story on the way but it may be rejected since I forgot to spell check it so it is full of spelling errors.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
I agree, a residual haunting. Talk about leaving something behind that is hard to forget and that can not be re-done, losing children to starvation in such a manner would be certainly qualify.

How sad it must have been for that family. I will say some prayers for all of them to cross over and find peace in the light with the Lord.

I very much enjoyed your story. It is rich with facts and history.
Thank you for sharing it woith us!

God Bless!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
What I find the most interesting about this story, Niall, is that the Mother only kissed your sister goodnight. That makes me think of a few things.
1. Your aunt was closer to the age of this poor woman's children than your mother was.
2. It was a residual haunting in which your aunt was simply in the right place to receive the kiss from a memory of time.
3. The woman was reliving the last moments of her dying child's life, and bestowed upon that child a final kiss.
How traumatic to loose a child to starvation. It is an extremely slow process, and I can imagine the parents skimping on their own portions of food in order to make sure that their children had sustenance. What an emotion for a parent to have to deal with. As it is such a horrible emotion, that would account for the fact that she remains in the home.
Thank you.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-14)
Hi Niall. Another great story. There is so much history in europe that sometimes small things have the greatest history. That place had a long history but I wouldn't say it was a happy one. Thank you for sharring this story with us and I will be waiting with excitement for the next one. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-13)
Hi Niall and thanks for a very interesting story.

It's sad to hear about the unfortunate death of the children, especially because of the reason they died. It makes one realise how important some things are, things we tend to take for granted.

Obviously the ghost was that of the mother who kept coming back to find her children.

Very sad!
Niall (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-12)
I fully aggree with the theories ElectricTNT put forward about my story.

I will have more posted soon missydee. 😁 😉
missydee (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-12)
Hi Niall! I really enjoyed reading your stories, I hope you submit more. ❤
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-12)
It sounds as if the ghost is the mother during the famine and she was making frequent checks on her child who she is very concerned about. This sounds like it is a residual haunt that is recorded on the fabric of time and is continuously replaying the same scene over and over. I believe that the famine was such a terrible event that such a tragedy is going to record events on time itself.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: