You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost in my Old House

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost in my Old House

 

My experiences started approximately 4 years ago. I had just bought my house which was built in 1954, so it is a little bit older, no big deal right? I was just happy to be an owner of a house at such a young age. Before moving in we started upgrading a bit, small things like paint, electrical sockets etc. And while working later at night you would hear some strange noises. I did not think much of it because the house is older. Me and my friend moved in a few weeks later and noticed odd things starting to happen.

Everything was pretty normal at the beginning nothing exciting. I should note that to get to the basement there was a door which lead to the landing where the backdoor was, and then you would turn the corner to get to the undeveloped basement. My friend decided to put his bed downstairs where it would be dark and quiet.

After a while he started saying how he would wake up to some really strange noises, things he could not quite put his finger on what it could be. He would tell me about it and I would just chalk it up to an old house.

Well a few weeks later he decided to move upstairs and was more than a little freaked about the basement. Now I am a believer of the supernatural but I know the mind can play tricks on you if you let it, well the stuff that started happening I for one cannot explain at all.

My friend and my dog were home by themselves and were in the kitchen, when in the bathroom 15 feet away the faucet turns on and my dog high tails it out of there through her dog door, and my friend left.

Once I was sitting home alone with my dog upstairs, and clear as a bell, no old house creaks or bangs but like someone directly below me had a broom and hit the floor right beneath my feet. Again my dog is outta there.

Another odd experience happened in the kitchen, which when my bedroom door is open overlooks. I woke up one morning, not groggy or anything and I saw someone sitting in a chair, I turn my head for one second and ask what are you doing thinking its my roommate and when I turn back it is gone.

Also at night we kept the dog locked in the landing by the stairs to the basement and for 3 nights in a row she would wake me up at 6 am exactly to the minute whining and crying and freaking out, so now she sleeps in my room.

My roommate found out from the neighbor that not the people before us but the people that lived there before them, the old man died in my basement. Now I am not sure if I can chalk this all up to coincidence but I would sure like to know what, if anything is in my old house.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, curt82, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Beyondead12 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
Wow, that is kind of creepy. Dont know what to tell you... BUT find out some history on the house. And just because a guy died there does not mean that he will haunt the house. I know it is always in those movies, but check out your local library ask around. If stuff gets to serious then maybe think about getting some type of priest! 😉
muahh (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
hahaha even freakier! Just like the "Others" movie... They didn't know they're dead... So yeah maybe you didn't know but you're scaring him too... 😳
suec (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
just another thought how did the old man die. Has he got unfinished business and does he even no that he has passed over as some spirits do not no they are dead 😁
muahh (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
hi curt!:) interesting story you have here...

As long as nobody is being hurt, I suggest you follow some of the comments here... Try to research and maybe you'll end up helping a soul, right? 😁

Gosh... I've been experiencing a lot of freaky stuff and I can't wait to post it here and get some help/advice from you guys 😕
suec (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
very spooky seems to me there is something going on see if you can find out what time the old man died could it have been 6am 😉
ghostluver1523 (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-25)
I believe that you have heard something in your house and I think it's the person that died there. Lucky for you you know what's in your house I hear all kinds of stuff in my house all the time and have no idea what it is.



~~ Amy ~~
rumpoint (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-25)
What's up Curt82, your ghost story reminds me of mine. Old folks usually say that animals such as our pets like dogs are very sensitive to such paranormal or natural occurances and even before thay even occur. Here in the Philippines, when you see house rats, cockroaches and even house pets are uneasy and are fleeing away from a certain place, it is believed that things will surely happen. Just like what happened in 1991 before the Baguio earthquake. People reported that before the earthquake the dogs where uneasy and they even saw house rats fleeing from the the building structure.

My point is, your dog is very sensitive to feel that there is something happening not normal in your new old house.

Regards to all and more power to this site.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-19)
Uh, GhostGal? I am just wondering something here. I have actually been following a few of your comments here and all it seems to be doing to me is confusing the ever lovin' *blank* out of me.
You just made a comment that I am going to "call you" on, hopefully you will see your name on the left of the screen and come back to this story.
You wrote: "If the people BEFORE you moved in, they coulda' done witchcraft and opened a door..."
I am confused... What is it that you are really trying to say? I can not believe that you would leave wide open a comment like that and just let it hang here on this page.
Not all people who practice witchcraft "open a door". Not all practicing witches are...
I will wait until I see if you have answered before I offer more.
Thank you.
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-19)
You can get a ghost diffrent way's. For example... If the people BEFORE you moved in, they coulda' done witchcraft and opened a door. Or it coulda' been the old man. The ghost coulda' possibly followed you. Ghost's can also be tied to the land. So it doesn't have to be the old man. It can also be someone (or something) else that coulda' possibly past awayed on that land.

~Gejro
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
Hello, and welcome curt82.
A person does not have to die in your home for the home to be haunted. Neither does everyone who dies in a home return to haunt it. Occasionally you "get lucky" and you inherit a ghost, but most often, they simply Cross Over.
With two occupants of your home feeling uncomfortable about SOMEthing there, I would NOT suggest the use of an Ouija, as you asked about in your comment. If they are not at ease, it would not be a good idea to try and summon up something that MAY be too difficult for them to handle. You would not want your dog to run away from home.
I WOULD suggest setting up a tape recorder during the night, or even a video recorder. Target areas like the basement. The reason I am giving THIS advice, and not telling you to fire up the incense or ceremoniously rid the home through the Native American Smudging, or a good old fashioned house blessing, is that it would appear to ME that this Being is trying to communicate, or to contact you. Or someone in your home.
I think you may have a couple of things going on for you there. One being a residual haunting. That is the one in which your dog would alert you every morning for three days at six in the morning. Due to the fact that the time was the same, that would SUGGEST a residual haunting.
As to the rest... Only time and a bit more research will tell. I would look BEYOND the gentleman who happened to perish while in the home though. If for no other reason, just to make sure that you did a thorough research. You do not want to leave any stones unturned. And you certainly would not want to miss anything in your quest for he truth.
Thank you.
hi5534 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
I one time said to myself,"It would be funny if this glass just moved on it's own".
Because, my dead grandpa I believe has made contact with me, some how moved a glass of water across a flat counter top.
It was very weird.
key2theafterlife (24 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
way creepy definatly do MORE and even MORE reserach that is whst I would do if I were you 😆
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Wow, what is up with Canadians posting all over the place this week.

"O Canada" --best national anthem ever. Russia's is good, too, but "O Canada" is the best. ANYway...
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Hi curt82. It's hard to determine whether a house is haunted by just bumps and thumps. If you did see the apparition of a man, then it is possible that someone's spirit still remains or possibly residual. It could be the previous owner who died in the basement or it might be someone or something else all together. Try some EVP's and see what you get. Do some more research on the home's history, even the land. If the spirit is causing you, your dog or your roommate undue stress and fright, tell it politely not to do that. If they mean no harm, and I don't think it does, than they/it will listen to you. Ask it to please leave if at anytime you feel uncomfortable with it's presence. This is what me and my daughter do and it seems to work. It is never a wise idea to use a Ouija Board! It is NOT A GAME! Thanks for sharing your story.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
In response to your question regarding using a ouijia board, PLEASE never, never a ouijia board!

Please read my story (and many others) regarding the disasterous out comes from using those things.

In my opinion, I have never heard of anything positive or goof coming from use of one, so please do not try it!

God Bless!
Marg (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Hello,curt82
I believe, you both did hear and see things in your home. You are both picking that up through psyhic abitity. It may have something to to with the fact that a man died in your basement.Thanks,for a good story.😊
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
Very well written story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I don't have the feel that it's the entity of the man that died in that home, more so on something to do with the land, that it was built on.
curt82 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
I actually have a question would it be a bad idea to use a ouija board, not just in my house but in general?
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
Hey Curt! Thanks for sharing your story with us. It was really interesting to read your story. Your house is deffinatley (Pardon the spelling) Haunted no doubt on that. I would suggest you get a priest or religious person to come and bless your house. And also put a cross or Om, according to your religion, on each and every door of your house. May luck be with you all the time!
Biemaster
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
curt82,
Although I cerainly do not share Warblazes enthusiasim, I must say I do believe there is something in your home, considering the site if the apparition.

When these types of occurances happen, I always wonder what is holding these sould to this plane? Is there unfinished business of some kind>? Is there a personal attachemnt of some sort?

If you are comfortable with it, place a tape recorder in the room and ask a series of questions. Give time between the questions for a response. This may give you some clue as to who is there and why they remain.

I would also speak aloud to your visitor. Tell them to cross over to the light. Tell them to go and be with the Lord where they can be at peace and be fullfilled.

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
Wow this indeed sounds like a haunting. I realy liked your story. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soo and take care
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Hi curt82. That sounds like an interesting place. By the sounds of it, you are still living there. Are things still happening? It would be interesting to try some EVP's (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) and see what comes of it. Is your room-mate just scared or does he feel something angry or menacing down in the basement? Does it feel threatening to you? Although your dog is having quite a reaction, I don't think it means there's definite reason to worry. She could react like that because it's an unknown energy. She might even see a 'stranger' standing there and if she's of a timid nature, get freaked out. You could speak to the spirit and tell it to leave, at least tell it to stop scaring your poor dog!I'd be interested to know what happens if you do any EVP's or if anything new developes. Thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed it.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Not necessarily the old man who had died in the house. Not everyone who dies, comes back. But your suspicions that something paranormal might be happening could be true since the dog perceives it too and shows fear or submission. Keep in mind though that animals do react to noises very much like we do. In addition they are influenced by our own reactions, meaning that if we show uncertainty or fear, they might feel the same way. To them, we are, most of the times, the leaders of the pack:the dominant males or females, so if the boss feels fear, they feel it too.

Also, houses tend to make noises and sometimes these noises resemble those that humans make. If you can exclude the possibity that is the case...

The only thing which I cannot explain away easily is the apparition sitting on your chair. Now that is a different story. Try to learn a little more about the history of the house you purchased and especially about the old man's way of dying.

Thank you
Warblaze (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Interesting indeed sir. I have had experiences involing things turning on the faucets and objects moving/ seeing spirits in my home as well. One time my cousin and I were watching a movie on the couch in the living room, I looked up over the couch and into the dining room to see what time it was and right before my eyes was a little girl sitting at my dining room table. She didn't see me looking at her, she was just sitting there, staring contently at the table. I told my cousin to look, she did, I asked her if she wanted to try and talk to it, and she told me no in a very upset whisper, she told me to turn around and pretend like we saw nothing. Eventually sleep took over and that was that. I love it when there is activity in the house, as long as it isn't harmful, it can be very interesting and entertaining at times especially if you have company over. Maybe I'm weird but I like these sorts of things.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: