You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: The Haunted Homestead

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Homestead

 

This is one more story connected to the museum I work at, although it doesn't take place at that site. First though, I'll give a little history of the area to help put this story in context.

My hometown was settled by Irish immigrants in the 1840's. Back then there was a lot of hatred between Irish Catholics and Protestants, and many of the immigrants brought this hatred with them when the settled in Canada.

In my town this suspicion and hatred was the base for a feud that would culminate in the murder of five members of a family. This family was well known in life, and famous in death. For a long time, nobody would speak about what had happened, but recently it's become a tourist magnet. So the museum began to do tours of the town that included a stop at the site of the murders, which is now a private residence. The owner of the house gives a little talk about what happened, and takes you around the property. As many people have probably assumed, this place is reportedly well and truly haunted.

On my second day of working at the museum I had to take a group of grade tens on this tour. I was excited because I had never had the chance to go to the house before, but I was also nervous because, well, it was my SECOND day on the job. I had also heard enough ghost stories about the place to scare me. In fact, I told my Mom the night before the tour "If I see any ghosts I'm going to quit!" She just laughed. If you've read my other stories about the museum you'll see how pointless that threat turned out to be.

The day of the tour went well. We drove around; I did my spiel, than we arrived at the homestead for the main part of the story. The owner had the group stand about where the house of the murdered family used to be, and told his story. I was in the back of the group, about ten feet from where a young man, only a few years older than me, had been stabbed and beaten to death.

As the owner began to describe the actual murder, I became cold. Not just a chill, it felt as though it had gone from a nice spring day to below freezing. I began to shiver and goose bumps broke out on my arms and legs. A moment later the temperature was back to normal, and no one else seemed to have felt anything. Nothing else happened that day that was out of the ordinary, so I decided to ignore it.

A few weeks later I was doing another tour with another group of grade tens (57 of the little darlings). This time, since I already knew the story being told I didn't pay much attention. I was again, standing in the back of the crowd. Being short, I couldn't see over the kids and anybody on the other side of the group wouldn't have been able to see me.

As the story was being told, I looked around, admiring the flower gardens. I then looked over at the house. Part of this house was built about a year after the murders, by the surviving sons. It had been added on to over the years, but it was the old part I looked at. In the ground floor window, a man was looking back at me. He was there for a few seconds and then disappeared. I stood in the back of the group saying "Ah...gh...ba...ga..." Nobody heard me hyperventilating.

I went over to the other tour guide and told her what I saw. She said it was probably the lady who lived there. Now he was only in the window for a few seconds, but it was long enough for me to see that it wasn't a woman. I tried to figure out what it could have been. Trick of the light? Overactive imagination? I also tried to ignore the fact that the man, young and with fair hair, looked an awful lot like the man who had been murdered there over a hundred and twenty years before.

While I was thinking this over, the group was heading to the old barn. Part of this barn predates the murders and is apparently a good spot for catching strange things on film. The kids took pictures, and then we all left the barn. As I was walking out I felt a hand on my back. Now, I just guessed it was one of the home owners, or the other tour guide, so I looked back to say something. Yeah, you guessed, there was no one there. I was the last one to leave the barn.

There are many other ghost stories connected to this place, but since they did not happen to me, it's not my place to tell them. If anyone wants to know more, or is going to be in Southern Ontario and wants to actually do the tour, you can e-mail me and I'll pass on the relative information.

W.

Other hauntings by wanderer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wanderer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
lilbalckpom. Glad you liked the story ๐Ÿ˜ Our part of the world has some pretty cool history doesn't it? Makes me glad to live here.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi Wanderer. Bellissima commented on your story about the Donnellys and told me to check it out. I live in Ontario too and know of the Donnellys in Lucan, Ontario. I can't believe you are working at the museum. That is so great and exciting too. I believe you saw a ghost in the window of that young man that was murdered. That's what it sounds like. I had a friend here in grade school and her name was Cathy Donnelly. She doesn't live in my city any longer and I don't know where she relocated to. She always said that she was a descendant of this family and I believed her. Her family always took trips in the Summer up that way.

I am part Irish too, so any Irish history is always fond to hear. Thanks for your great story and hope to hear more from you. ๐Ÿ˜Š
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
I do not think you are a 'chicke'. Most of us are terrified to our core when experincing the paranormal. It is human nature to be able to explain logically what is occuring around us. When we can't, the most basic and natural reaction is FEAR! At least, I know it is for me.

I enjoy your stories very much!

God Bless!
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
carrycat, yeah I still work at the museum, but since schools over I haven't taken any tour groups back to the house. You should totally come visit ๐Ÿ˜Š
ChrisB, I found it pretty scary to ๐Ÿ˜‰
I think I'm a real chicken compared to most on this site, most seem to take strange expeiences calmly, while I'm more likely to freak. Oh well its kept me out of trouble for the most part so far ๐Ÿ˜œ
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
Wow I have to say Wanderer that this is a very scary story. It was well written and I found it very Interesting. Thanks for giving us the history about this place. I think I might check it up in the interenet and read more about it. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
carrycat (3 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-07)
good story-makes me want to visit Canada, are you still working there? Have you ever seen the man again?
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
One thing I guesse I should have written in one of the stories is about the other people at the museums reactions to the ghost stories. Most of the others (ie my bosses) don't believe in ghosts at all. Thats why I don't really talk much about what I saw/felt. Also, since at the homestead the talk is a lot about ghosts, at the museum we try to only talk about the historical aspects. In fact I have had people ask me if the museum is haunted and I tell them no. Its easier that way, and strangers don't think I'm crazy ๐Ÿ˜‰
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
Hi guys, glad you liked the story.
Rhodes68, I didn't say it was a man I saw because I was to shocked to really say much. I found out after the room I saw him in was the "haunted bathroom" Lots of people take pictures of the house and sometimes when the pictures are developed there is a face in that window that wasn't seen when the pic was taken. Apparently no one has seen him with there eyes before. Lucky me, I guesse ๐Ÿ˜•
Bellisima, Where did you go to school?!? I went to a school Rob taught at, but he left before I got there. That be really strange coincedence if it was the same school ๐Ÿ˜Š
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
Hello wanderer. I seem to recall watching a television program about the family you are talking about. Very interesting story thank you for sharing it with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN
themexican (3 stories) (14 posts)
-1
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
nice story I have felt hands on my back in my spoky house but yea hope you live for the next one or two days ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿค”
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
Hi wanderer!We're neighbours in lovely Southern Ontario.I'll bet you're speaking of the Donnelly family. If I'm wrong, then the rest of this comment will be nonsense to you- but, here goes. Does the Salts family still own the home? Many years ago (27!), Rob was my fabulous grade 8 teacher, best teacher I ever had! I saw him on a TV special regarding some of his experiences in his home.Wow!I'm thrilled to read your story. I have heard of so many incidents that have taken place there, it's very well documented. Even without the current ghost activity, the history is amazing! I have to say, I envy you! Even if I'm wrong about it and you're not talking about the Donnelly home, I really enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
Hi,cool story. Never been to Canada. But I do have a favorate band that is Canadan. But if I ever go I'll try to remmeber to go there. I really like it. ๐Ÿ˜
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-06)
I guess you never bothered telling her it wasn't the woman you saw, did you?
I don't know if you were "lucky" enough to catch a glimpse of him or whether he chose to appear to you.

I tend to think that spirits choose their "audience" and you were granted that on that tour.

I wish I could visit but living in Greece makes it a little difficult.

Maybe on my next trip ๐Ÿ˜Š

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: