You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Grandpa

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandpa

 

My Grandpa was an amazing man and we were always very close. He always did everything humanly possible to make life good, first for my mother and uncles, than for me and my brother. When I was little he would always take me on long walks that would always seem to end with a trip to a park or ice cream store.

We even had our own "secret park". We called it that because it was at the end of a dead-end street, was surrounded by trees and bushes and no one ever seemed to go there but us.

In the last few years Grandpa was unable to go on long walks because of sore knees and back, so we would hang out in his garage or basement and spend hours talking. As I'm sure you can tell I love him very much, so it was a horrible shock last December when my Mom called to say Grandpa had a stroke and was in the hospital. At the time I was in school, 800 kilometers from home and 1000 from my Grandpa. I had a plane ticket home for when I finished my exams so I kept myself going thinking I would see him soon.

It was my exam week, 3 weeks after Grandpa's stroke. My Grandpa had already lived longer than anyone had expected although he has half paralyzed, and in a deep coma. It was Tuesday night; I had one exam on Wednesday and was flying home on Thursday. I had gone to early that night but was unable to sleep and was thinking about Grandpa. I began to feel like we were together, so I began to talk to him, telling him I loved him and missed him. I was telling him goodbye.

The next day I did my exam, finished packing, and went out with friends. When I got home my parents called me. Grandpa had died. The night before my entire family had gathered in his room with his priest. At one point the priest and my Mom were talking and Rev. Paula said she couldn't understand what he was holding on for. "It's like he's waiting for something" she said. When Mom heard that she said, "Oh Paula I told him Kate would be home on Thursday, maybe he's waiting for her..." After that they went to him and said that I was with him in spirit. It was at that same moment that I felt he was there in my room with me and I said goodbye.

In January, after the funeral, Christmas, and my return to school, I had a strange dream. It was the most realistic dream I've ever had. I was at my Grandparents house and it was summer and I could even smell the flowers and feel the heat of the sun and the ground under my bare feet. I was cleaning out my Grandpa's truck, and there were other people around me, working in the yard. I looked up and saw my Grandpa walking down the street, away from me.

I first thought "But he's dead" then decided I didn't care and tried to follow him but the other people in the yard came up around me. One put his hand on my shoulder and said "It's not time, you can't follow him yet..." I cried but stayed where I was and watched walk down the street towards our secret park and disappear behind the trees. When I woke the next morning that was the first day I truly accepted he was gone.

In March I was really struggling. I was still trying to accept Grandpa's death, then my Aunt died and another Aunt became very ill. Then a boy who lived down the hall from me killed himself. Going back to my place after school after all these things happened I was climbing the stairs when I could smell something that was just like my Grandpa's garage. Strange as it may sound, it made me feel a lot better, but I didn't think much of it.

Later in my room I was sitting at my desk when suddenly I could smell my Grandpa. It was a mix of his aftershave, soap, and just his personal smell. It was sudden and strange enough that I began to sniff around trying to find where it was coming from (and probably looking completely nuts in the process). The smell came from behind and slightly to the right of my chair. It didn't scare me, it was comforting.

Several times over the next few days I would smell him and sometimes it would feel like a hand was on my shoulder. At night I would hear slow deep breathing on the other side of my room, sounding like someone was asleep over there. Along with the smells, sounds and touches, was the strong feeling of love and protection. I know my grandpa had come to help me through this horrible time when I was so far away from my family.

After about a week of this I began to feel stronger and think that Grandpa shouldn't feel he should stay on earth with me but should be in heaven. So I said "Grandpa I love you and miss you, but I'll be alright. You don't have to stay anymore and I'll see you again one day..." After saying that I felt like I was surrounded with love, it felt like a hug. Then he was gone.

I haven't felt Grandpa physically close to me. I miss him but I know I'll see him again one day.

W.

Other hauntings by wanderer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wanderer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-17)
My dad appeared to my mom after he died. He looked young and healthy and said that he wanted her to know he was ok and he had places to go and left.
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-28)
This is so beautiful!
I'm glad he's there to comfort you.
Have you tried to make contact with him?
Take care ❤
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-01)
This is one of the first ghost stories I have read here and almost cried.
I'm sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing your story:)
againsarahan (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
Thank you for telling this beautiful story. The dream about your Grandpa walking down the road while you were held back and told you could not follow because it wasn't your time; isn't that an odd thing to be coming from your subconcious mind? It does rather sound like being put in a play that you had to perform and witness at the same time. Very odd. Messages, codes, metaphors from beyond. I wonder how people going into the witness protection program cope.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-30)
I just LOVED your story and was deeply touched by the love you and your grandpa shared. I can relate to that since I also went through a rough time accepting my grandpa's death.

How wonderful to have all these memories, to have had such a "rich" life close to someone who loved you so dearly!

May his soul rest in peace!
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
Im glad you guys enjoyed the story. When Grandpa died it was the first time in my life Id lost someone I was really close to, so it was comforting to have even a little sign he's not actually left
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-29)
This is a beautiful story and a lovely tribute to yolur Grand Father.

Isn't it amazing that those we love so very deeply have ways of letting us know they love us and are with us even after they are gone?
'
I have no doubt you will join your Grand Father again with our Lord.

God Bless!
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
Very touching story! I know what you feel like! Best of Luck for your life and I hope your grandfather's soul rests in peace!
Biemaster
fizzypulp (2 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-28)
This is a really lovely story.
I believe your granpa knew you were going through a very tough time and was there offering you his support and love to help you get through it.
even in death our loved ones are still with us, helping and guiding us.
Im glad your Granpa has found peace - he sounds like a lovely man.
K

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: