You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hypnagogia

Real Ghost Stories

Hypnagogia

 

I'm a newly minted member to this site; all in all, I've found a lot of the experiences told here to be entertaining, scary, and even a bit funny (in some cases, not all).

This is my experience. (And I have to preface it by saying that I'm NOT a believer in the supernatural, even after what happened to me.) My wife and I had just purchased a new house out in the desert of Arizona. A nice little two-bedroom-one-bath no frills kind of house. We turned our extra room into a "guest" bedroom, and it's where I would go on a regular basis if my insomnia kicked in, so as not to disturb my wife.

I was having a hard time sleeping one night, and decided to usher myself to the guest bedroom. The bed in this room is horizontal to the door, and the door to the guest room enters a hallway to our main bedroom. When lying on the bed in the guest room, one can see right down the small hallway to the bedroom door. So, I tip-toed out of the bedroom, my wife softly snoring away, and crawled into the guest bedroom bed.

I lay there for an hour or so, somewhere between the darkness of dreaming, when I thought I heard my wife get up. I opened one eye and looked at the door. There was someone standing in the doorway. I thought, for a brief moment, that it was my wife coming in to check on me. But, the person standing there was shorter, and as my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I started to pick up details. It was a woman, wearing a long, white, flat unadorned gown, and a thin white veil over her head. The figure was looking down at the ground, and shifting from foot to foot, swaying left to right.

I was stunned. The first thought that crossed my mind was, "... Ah, lovely. A crazy person has broken into my house and is now scaring seven shades of s#!t out of me..." I began to get out of bed, about to ask this person how they were able to get into our house, when suddenly; this woman lifted her head and arms, and ran at me full charge!

This is where my story gets a little choppy. I remember the woman's face; her mouth opened in an expression of screaming, her empty eye sockets, and her skin like grey beef jerky. (That's really the only way I can compare it...) I yelled, and then blacked out. When I awoke, I was running down the street, away from our house, in my bare feet and shorts. Half dressed, in the cold and dark, a walked two blocks back to our house, my heart beating in my chest like a jackhammer. The front door was opened a bit when I made it back. I pushed it open slowly, ready to punch or kick anything that came near me... And when I stuck my head in, everything was quiet. I slowly walked in, making sure to double-lock the door behind me. I flipped all the lights on, and searched the house. Nothing.

I checked on my wife. She was still sound asleep! Even after all my yelling and bolting out the door, she was out like a light! So, needless to say... I didn't go back to sleep that night. As a matter of fact, I took the bed out of that room the very next day. Also, I never told my wife what had occurred that night.

What I think happened, maybe, is that in between the spaces of the darkness of dreaming, my mind decided to play a cruel trick on me.

Or, maybe not. Who knows?

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cazouillette, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

clearemotion (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-19)
Sounds like the "llorona" to me. I think I would of been traumatized no way would I be able to live there. Guys are definetly much stronger and keep together more than woman. In some cases that is.
embrysgirl (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Was it a fairly new neighborhood? Because if it was an old house, it could have history, and if it was a new house, there also lies the possibility that it was built, near or on, an unmarked grave. ❤ God Bless
darkvampire14 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-27)
Wow that's crazy. I don't know how you still believe I mean that's a pretty creppy story. Did you like read the history of the house or something (if there was one?)
Thanks for sharing it was interesting.
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
Hmmm this one is one hell of an experience, and you blacking out and waking up on the streets confuses me. Have you sleep walked before, just a doubt. Hopefully nothing worse happened, and I wonder how you still don't believe... That was a good read thank you.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
Very creepy story and one that will stick in my mind for some time. After something like that I would surely believe in the paranormal. Thanks very much for sharing!
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-13)
Wow, she actually tried to tackle you! 😉

I can't figure out why your wife didn't hear a thing, considering you probably stormed outta there and pulled open your front door with enough force to slam it against something.
Anyway, your experience is quite disturbing... Are you perhaps a sleepwalker?
Succubussed (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-08)
This is just a long shot here, but this house wouldn't happen to be in Sierra Vista, would it?
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Wow that is one creepy tale! I can't say I have ever heard anything like this one before! On one hand I hope for you that it was a dream, but then again maybe not as it could happen again! Good luck! 😆
spikess (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
if it really was a bad dream I hope I never experience anything like that!

Thanks for sharing and welcome:)
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Do you have a history of sleep-walking or night terrors? Just curious.
Wishing you better dreams,
Lisa
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
This is so scary. I would say maybe it was a dream, but like KimSouthO said, you ran out of your house. Is this truly the only occurrence?
mlc13 (7 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Maybe she possesed you. You said she was running towards you and that you blacked out. Maybe this woman wanted to run away from your house for some reason and she needed a human body to do it.
BboyFreeze (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Wow. That's quite a scary experience. I believe there is something that is unexplainable. Especially paranormal. Sometimes its like really impossible to explain something. Like your experience, You actually ran out of the house in lighting speed. And the experience must be real, and not just a dream. God bless.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
hi and welcome to this site. I don't know why bet when I got the description I started to think about the spirit who haunted KimoSouth. I know these were two different spirits but it reminded me of her. Very scary. I think being a non believer can be very good at times. We see things is more of a simple way but once we encounter something different we try to explain it in a logical way. And that's good. But if you encounter something like you went through I would be looking for answers somewhere here. Thanks again for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
I wouldn't exclude the possibility of a very vivid dream even if I was sure I was awake when I saw the apparition. Sometimes 'waking up' to a horrifying reality is part of the same dream.

If, though, you really, really think this was more than a dream then, I'd suggest what the other posters did-to speak to your wife and learn if she has had any other experiences in the house. If you're uncomfortable about the experience, tell her it was just a vivid dream. You will still be able to detect any changes in her mood or even get her to talk about anything she might have seen herself.

As for the apparition itself, let me say, I'm glad about my experiences after reading yours 😊.

I'm not confused about the veil you described as, in my culture (mediterranean), women of the working class are expected to wear veils after putting their hair up to avoid any discomfort while working. On the contrary, only aristocratic women were allowed to wear hats or wear their hair in elaborate styles. What confuses me is the garment you say she wore.-an unadorned gown? Did she look like a nun, you mean?
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
When you are prepared, Cazouillette, I encourage you to discuss this incident with your wife. Like KimSouthO, your experience seems incongruent with typical cases of hypnogogia. Unless you have a history of sleepwalking (or running), it might be helpful to consult with your spouse. She may have experienced uneasiness or dreams with corroborating details. By the way, I am curious how did the woman wear her veil? Usually veils are attached to another article of clothing such as a hood, hat, etc. Thanks for sharing.
givemeaname (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
If it starts to come back and haunt you it could be a demon and I suggest to get your house blessed.
Good luck
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the site.

I would like to start by saying, hypnogogia usually renders the individual un able to move, let alone run two blocks.

Second, I think you may be trying to convince your self that you do not believe in paranormal and did not have an experience. The term 'me thinks thou does protest to much' springs to mind.

Believe me, there are many times we all want to believe there is nothing paranormal and all is logical and can be explained away with reason. If this were try, there would be no need for s site such as YGS.

Thanks again for sharing!

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: