You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Modern Home Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Modern Home Haunting

 

When you think of a cellar or an unfinished basement littered with ancient clutter, sprinkled with dirt from the cracks in the walls and spiders that always come out to play. Or the type of unfinished basement where there is absolutely nothing in it at all but a 60-watt bulb hanging from the ceiling with a string dangling from it we think that it must be haunted. Yes, I agree, I wouldn't spend the night in one of those basements by myself, but that isn't the only setting for a haunting. Old houses don't always have the pleasure of being granted access to the paranormal realm as my story proves.

My story begins when my parents had gotten divorced when I was in fifth grade and my mom moved out to a brand new separate condo in a beautifully slick subdivision in my small town. All the houses were models and brand-new; this would make upkeep for my mother easier, making the houses even more wonderful than they were originally.

I can honestly say that we fell in love with the large home quickly, even though it was so cold, and even though there were negative feelings hanging in the air. My mom and my brother decided to look around the outside of the house and I ventured into the basement. To my relief the basement was finished, it was big, and it was beautiful.

I turned on all the lights and sat down, and in my mind I started to imagine what I could turn it into. All of a sudden I heard my name being shouted from upstairs. I thought it was my mom and I thumped up the stairs, leaving the lights on. To my surprise my mom was in the backyard talking to my brother and the realtor.

Being a child my attention span was small and I was preparing to run to the upstairs when I realized that I had left the lights on and left the doors open to the bathroom and the room under the stairs. I went back down to find all the lights off and all the doors closed. I got frightened and ran to go back upstairs when I heard the door slam shut. I ran upstairs crying and outside to my mom begging her not to buy the house. She told me that we really had no choice and she put in an offer.

We got the house, and ever since that day in the basement, I have experienced negative paranormal activity. My friends have even seen apparitions and have heard voices. They would never go down in the basement even though there were couches, a big screen television, and even a foosball table. I find it interesting that only children had noticed these things happening, even my brother who doesn't believe in ghosts or spirits has seen things that he cannot explain. No one would believe me except other kids, my friends, my brother's friends and even a neighborhood kid.

During the time living in that house I have experienced unimaginable nightmares, footsteps thumping up the stairs after me, lights turning on and off, doors opening and shutting on their own, random laughter, apparitions roaming the living room, and even conversations and whispers outside my door.

One of the scariest experiences I have had in the house I share with one of my best friends and she happens to also be a member of this sight, her name is MusicIsLife. One night she had spent the night and we spent the entire time in my room because she was also scared of my house.

We were lying in bed talking when it became freezing. The door opened by itself and we would hear giggling. At this point I had been living in the house for 3 years and had gotten accustomed to these things and I challenged the spirit by shutting the door. It opened again and this time, harder. Each time the door opened up the spirit got more forceful until the door slammed me in the face. I screamed in pain and the door slammed shut. All night the lights would flicker on and off and we would see an apparition of a man standing in different places in my room.

I hope that one day I'll figure out exactly how many spirits are in my house and whether some are protecting me or not. I hope there is at least one good spirit in my home.

All comments are welcome.

Other hauntings by OceanxGoddess135

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, OceanxGoddess135, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

reneespring (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-08)
I know I said you may need medication, but I may be wrong, if all this stuff with the door & lights happened in front of your friend. However, you are under a great deal of emotional stess, so even if part or all of what you experience is real, it may be good to look into meds. They help me a great deal. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-19)
You know, when you issue a challenge, no matter how small you think it to be, it is usually met with the acceptance of the challenge. In the second to last paragraph you state that you challenged the ghost with shutting the door.
Well, How could it pass up a challenge?
No, ghosts do not perform on demand. But occasionally you DO meet up with one who enjoys a challenge, and enjoys seeing the reaction of those who are not life impaired. It sounds as if this was one of those ghosts.
Thank you.
Carlalee (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Hi, what a great great story... I read it with my story in my mind... Thank you for opening up my eyes alittle
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
This is amazing. Normally there is only 1 energy or such but you seem to have so much going on yet it's a new house. This is quite unusual and I don't know why you have so much energy in your house. But I don't think these paranormal enterties are there to hurt you even if they slammed a door in your face. They sound like they're pranking you and the people who stay in your house. I agree with the statement that children can see more than us. I don't know why that is but it seems to happen.
Thanks for sharing the story it was very intresting.
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
oh my gosh! That is quite a bunch of goings-on. So, you say its just kids who've heard/seen things?
PrincessWolf81 (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
The only word that comes to mind after reading your story is... WOW. I remember when I lived in a house, and I was maybe in 4th grade, I had a creepy feeling but we moved in anyway. We only lived there for two months and moved. Thankfully we were just renting. My Dad wanted to buy it, but after the experiences we faced in that home, my Mother said no way to buying it. Thanks goodness! 😲
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
Wow!This story is very interesting. I don't know how I could have missed it but I'm glad that I read it. Thanks for sharring. I believe that Children have the ability to see more then we do. Those were some creepy things going on in there. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Yeah, it always kind of creeps me out when I read these kind of stories. There are people who live in haunted houses for years, and when I try to imagine that... How terrifying it must be to have to stay somewhere you don't feel safe... To call that your home, I get freaked out. It would be one thing if small things were happening, but a ghost actually caused you harm. That enough shows that something must be done. My friend from work had a team of paranormal experts visit her childhood home and she has a DVD that documents everything. Maybe you could look into something like that. I don't know how much they charge.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
ok wow. Yea that is serious. I would definnitely do some research on the land. I have tried to do research on my parent's home, but didn't get much info. Maybe you will have better luck than me since you will be doing research on the land. Ihope you come back to us with some updates. Thank a lot for sharing. ❤ Jasmin
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Whew, that is something else. I would say far more than one entity is plaguing your surroundings.

I would love to hear more details broken down regarding the encounters.

It reallt doesn't matter the age of the house, the relationship for the current energy may have to do with the land and not the actual dwelling.

God Bless!
givemeaname (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
that is pretty scary. I would be spending more nights at my friends houses if a door slammed in my face for no reason. The last thing I need is for it to be compeltely dark in my room and a spirit to manifest itself to me and then have me screaming through the night. Maybe a digital camera might show you something. IF you realize that you have bad spirits or demons get your house blessed immeditately.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Wow! That was an overwelming account of events! You are describing so much activity in your house that I think it'll take a lot more that just one story to put them all in order!

Like you said, it sounds like there's much more than just one single energy in there!

I'll be looking forward to reading your accounts Ocean. Thank you for sharing this one with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: