You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Westland Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

The Westland Haunting

 

When I was in 5th or 6th grade my mother let me stay home alone. I came home from school at about 4:00 and my mother had to work until 6:00. I had just started staying home alone so I was still sort of creeped out about being in the house by myself.

One day, I came home from school and ran to the phone to call my friend to see if she could come over. The phone was in the kitchen and from the kitchen you could look down the hallway and see into my mother's room a little. Well we lived in a pretty small apartment at the time. Right when I grabbed the phone I looked into my mother's room and saw a figure of this man. He was wearing a suspender outfit with a top hat and he was looking in the mirror.

I dropped the phone and ran out my door. I ran down the hall and hid behind one of the walls. I stayed there for a while because I was too afraid to go back into my apartment. I got my courage back and went back inside. I called my friend and told her to come over.

Just recently I told my mother about this. She had told me that the man I saw was my great grandfather. She told me that my grandmother had once seen him at the foot of her bed watching her sleep. She said she was surprised I had seen him. So I have a question for you...

What does it mean when ghosts are on earth instead of heaven or hell?

Other hauntings by Nikki1990

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nikki1990, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

RedheadedBanshee (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
Hey Nikki,

I think what it means when you see a deceased loved one, is that they loved their family so much, their idea of heaven is having the privilege to watch future generations of their bloodline grow. Getting to spend an eternity with ones family is truly a blessing in my mind, and I couldn't ask for a better way to spend eternity:)

As a side note, I grew up in Westland, and love the city dearly.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
I agree with Lou 100%, the ultimate sacrifice he speaks about is Jesus on the cross, dying with our sins. God was actually behind me the whole time I rebelled. I haven't always lived my life for Jesus. I got in trouble with the law, smoked weed, drank more beer than homer simpson, and popped pills. God knows our hearts though, He changed me... I didn't change anything... By His grace I have been saved. I believe He can change you as well Spider. God knows our heart better than we do ourselves. You will be in my prayers.

P.S. I didn't mean to start preaching, I just had to express my heart and spirit through the Holy Spirit in this matter
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Lou,
From your lips to God's ears my friend. That was beautifully put. And I thank you for sharing.

Jav ❤
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Spider,
Ultimately, yes. But I also am of the opinion that God knows what is in our hearts. He has granted us free will, but he knows what motivates us. Just like he knows the phonies that show up every Sunday and proclaim their allegiance; he will just as easily know those of us who show up on their day of reckoning with less than spotless records and faith in our hearts. Do we have to live a perfect life to go to heaven? No. But can I fool God by using his love and forgiveness by claiming my pseudo-intended faith at the pearly gates? No.
The levels of darkness that steer us from his way are to be fought, not embraced. When it is time to be judged, he will know which we chose. He gave the ultimate sacrifice for us, and his word is not meant to be compromised. Turning towards him is not supposed to be for self preservation but for cleansing toward a way of life. It is not a spiritual rip cord used only for a last resort.

Lou
SpiderZA (2 stories) (81 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Thanks Lou
As children, my cousin and myself would often challenge our parents regarding religious beliefs, just to aggravate/test them... Often ended in grounding btw...
Anyway, one thing I've never quite gotten an answer to is that we are brought up to believe in an all forgiving god, so if I live my life like I want to (Murder and black magic excluded) then shouldn't I be able to be forgiven on "Judgement Day"?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Spider,
I was raised Catholic, attended religious education classes right up to my confirmation, and once I became an official Catholic in the church's eyes and was given the choice of whether or not to attend, I ran from everything that represented organized religion for the next twenty plus years. So I do know where you are coming from. Although I do believe there is only one way to get to heaven, living in an honorable fashion is certainly a recipe for eventual success. Much like your sister-in-law, I did not take it very seriously until my current wife encouraged me to attend church again, with her. You will know when you are ready, and you will know when the time is right... The awesome thing about it is... He will never stop waiting for you.

Bless you and yours,

Lou
SpiderZA (2 stories) (81 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Thanks guys, I have no inclination to become a practicing "anything" at the moment, my sis in law actually asked me (they go to church regularly etc) why I don't believe and I told her "because I see those that believe in God are struggling in life just as much as I do" so its not like if I believe then I'll suddenly have no problems, and she said she also used to feel that way until she met her husband. I don't know exactly how she changed her mind, but whatever it was, I'm not there yet, I guess I just got a bit spooked by all the religious talk I was hearing. And I live my life like a good, able to use common sense, knowing right from wrong person, so I'm not too hassled about where I'll end up 😉
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Spider,
In the religion you were raised and baptized in, your baptism saved you from purgatory alone. Not Hell.
But when you break it all down, and get to the nitty gritty of things, the way you believe, and what you believe, are not as important as the way you live your life and treat others.

Jav ❤
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
Hi, Spider.

I'm not much of a preacher, but you may get a few opinions from those who are with regards to your inquiry. So I am not going to get into the extent of what my beliefs are in their entirety. My opinion and experiences lead me to believe that it is never too late to turn to God. I am not an advocate for those who direct posters towards their own writings. But I have documented in my stories on this site, an experience with a human spirit who was quite misguided in life (not his beliefs, but his actions) and even more indignant in death. He was able to cross into the light many decades after his passing. I am not convinced as of yet that he has "seen the light" with regards to his misgivings, but he did turn to God when he was sent.

Lou
SpiderZA (2 stories) (81 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-15)
I came across this post via the random stories link and it brought up a question that I have... So I thought I would post it here and hope someone reads it.
I have been baptized roman catholic, however, having the religion forced on me by Sunday school etc, I rebelled against it.
At this point in time I tend to drift off when people start religious talks but I will not call myself an Atheist.
What I believe is more related to a Wiccan point of understanding. That God as such isn't a person but a force and that there is Karma and natural forces etc
Which brings me to my question... And maybe this makes me a hippocrate, I don't know... But this seems to be what those in my baptized religion believe,
What is going to happen when I pass away? Is not believing in the God theory going to damn my soul to hell?
Please feel free to mail me should you not want to take up the posters space.
clovisgrunty (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Where in Westland plz. No address, just cross streets will do. I have grandparents (1 left) that live on Ann Arbor Trail near Merrimen.

Thanks
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-06)
Someone made a suggestion recently: perhaps those without firm beliefs, one way or another, might be those deemed to remain after passing, until they experience their own personal revelation that allows moving on to a, hopefully higher, location. Most of the visitors I have experienced did not have solid belief systems. The subject has become quite crucial while we wait with my mother-in-law, without firm beliefs, to pass. I would love ideas from others, and hope the question here is appropriate.
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Hi Nikki, at the risk of incurring wrath AGAIN -- I'm going to take cover behind Martin and, citing his permission to "feel free to quote scholars and scriptures" in answer to this particular story, offer the following:

WARNING: IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ CHRISTIAN THEOLOGY, PLEASE STOP HERE.

According to Christian tradition, Jesus appeared in human-like form (as Tonith noted) UNTIL His Ascension, which is recorded in Acts 1:9-11. After He ascended, He sent the Holy Spirit to us; and Jesus will not return again in human-like form until the Day of Judgment, according to New Testament scripture.

Yes, He has appeared in visions (such as St. Paul had on the road to Damascus; and many of the saints have recorded their visions, as well) since then. But He has never (in palpable human-form) eaten with anyone or offered His sword-wounded side to anyone since then. There are theological theories behind this, but I won't get into them here.

So in answer to your question, Christian theology would say that no, once you've ascended you can't come back and visit. (Maybe that's why some ghosts hang around and don't ascend?)

Blessings!

Lisa
Nikki1990 (3 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Yeah, I feel the same way... But I heard that once your in heaven you can't come back to earth...
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-05)
Honestly I just don't think it would be heaven if I couldn't come back and see what is going on with my loved ones once in a while! 😁 😉
gary11872 (1 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Sorry for the religous stuff I posted earlier. It's not my place to speak for christians in general...
Nikki1990 (3 stories) (21 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Angelfeathers, No I couldn't see the miror, I could just see him looking towards the mirror. I didn't see a picture of my great grandfather but when I described him to my mother she automatically knew it was him.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Hi Nikki, thanks for the story. I was curious about if you could see the ghost's reflection in the mirror? Also, has your mom shown you photos of your great-grandfather so you could compare them to the ghost-man that you saw?
A.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I am very sorry of your loss. It is always sad to hear about a close member who must leave us. I believe the debate here was not to hurt anyones feelings. I to am a christian and a believer. I once posted my views on this subject and it wasn't a good idea 😆.All I can say is that I don't think Automn wanted to hurt anyones feelings here. I believe all that she wanted to do is to do the best for us. To give her best opinion. To give us the best help. I don't want to be a teacher but I believe that is a good thing. And it doesn't matter what religion we are but matters what we DO to be good people. And for sure she is on the right path. I can only say that I'm glad that there are people who want to help. And I feel sorry for those whos help is not wanted and treat it as a threat. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Thank you, Martin. I was a bit hand tied trying to answer the question as it stated quite clearly "heaven or hell", but...
Thank you for the clarification.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
whitebuffalo, since the author started the debate herself by asking a theologian question (with a christian perspective), I have no problem seeing this particular page turn into a religious debate, as long as we all stay respectful and it doesn't become a preaching contest.

I only have problems with it when people push religion on an author without their asking, as everyone has their own religion and the purpose of this site is to talk about experiences with an open mind.

In this case, feel free to quote scholars and scriptures 😉
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Hello Nikki. I read your story with interest. I want to say first and this doesn't have anything to do with you Nikki, what is with everyone commenting about religious beliefs? Whatever anyone believes in they can keep it to themselves. This is not a site for preaching your beliefs and I think you people know who you are. Nikki wants answers for her story here. When a comment is made about Christianity, theology, etc. This really upsets me. We don't need anyone here preaching their habits and beliefs! This is not a religious debate! When this subject is brought up, it always tends to cause an uproar. I noticed this the other day here. This is why I didn't leave my comment for Nikki.

Nikki wanted answers from one question, "What does it mean when ghosts are on earth instead of heaven or hell?" From this question somebody has to post comments about theology and their beliefs? Come on. You can post your scripture somewhere else and I think you know who you are. Sorry about this but if this is how this site is going to be then I don't want any part of it.

This story is about a girls great-grandfather's ghost. Not about christianity or teaching lessons in theology! Leave your beliefs and comments to yourself.

Sorry Nikki. First off, your great-grandfather's ghost came back to visit since it seems your mom has seen him also. He isn't harmful in any way by the sound of your story. Usually when a family members ghost comes back it is for a visit to see their loved ones one more time to make sure they are okay. Considering you probably didn't know your great-grandfather, he probably is coming back to see your mom who is his granddaughter and you just happened to see him that night. This is only my thoughts though mind you. This is so nice considering he didn't know you and you didn't know him.

A ghost is usually pondered as a wandering spirit from a being no longer living, having survived the death of the body yet maintaining their mind and consciousness.
Some ghosts walk on this earth and can haunt houses but this is because something happened to them in or near this home. I believe they need help to cross over and go into the light. Upon these findings, us individuals, can help find out if their death had foul play involved or even a suicide. These ghosts are not at rest and need peace. A place in which ghosts are supposed to appear is described as haunted.

A spirit is an apparition of the physical body. Our souls are a reproduction of our bodies in every feature.

Some ghosts walk on this earth because they have unfinished business as they say. Some can walk for years. So, making somebody find out how they actually died by haunting their home or property (mind you near where near where their death happened) is most likely to happen. They can walk, and walk, because their death is unsettled (unfinished) because they need it to be resolved to go into the light.

I hope my thoughts can maybe help you on this story of yours. I have had experiences like yours with family members who have passed. They are visits and do not frighten me.

Sorry this is so long Nikki.

And Martin, sorry for this post but I really think religion is not a subject for your site here. If I have caused a problem here let me know. But if comments like the one above are preaching what they believe in and left to read, I don't want anything to do with your site. I am sorry for this but this is how I feel.

Thank you for sharing this story with us Nikki and take care.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Hello Nikki. I believe it all boils down to the belief of whoever is answering the question. I personally believe that HEAVEN and HELL are man made places created to "explain" spiritual teaching that they themselves don't truly understand. No one truly knows what awaits us on the Other Side, so each of us has to find that "belief" that we are comfortable with and gives us acceptable answers to our questions. I am going on 55 years old and I'm still trying to get comfortable and find acceptable answers. Take care and may the Higher Power/s help you find YOUR answers.

FRAWIN 😊 😐
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Excuse me again, Nikki. I am truly sorry.

I am sorry, Lisa. No "self-defense" is really necessary. I tried to see if I could find your e-mail to try to smooth over what it seems I have ruffled. In NO WAY was my comment made in belittlement of ANYONE. What I was doing was giving examples FROM MY LIFE.
NONE of what I wrote was in direct reference to you, or your comment. My apologies if it seemed so. It was a generic question that I threw out there as one that I had recently asked. I am sorry if it appeared that I was attacking you, I was AGREEING with the Teachings that you pointed out.
IF you would like to discuss it further, my e-mail is on my profile page, PLEASE feel free to initiate a discussion. I am more than willing to do so, OUTSIDE of this site.
**Sorry Martin, I realize this took on a bit of a religious debate. I will no longer ask such questions here.**
Thank you.
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Apologies, Nikki, for continuing to use your space to respond. I feel, however, that since your question brought forth so many responses that it would be okay to add a bit more -- if only in self-defense.

To Gary and White Buffalo -- y'all have made me feel like I've been i-slapped. Wow. I'll add the following and then limp off to "lick my wounds..."

1. Most Christians (particularly evangelicals) would hardly appreciate the characterization of Christianity as "scientific, logical and rational..." Christianity is based on FAITH, which is none of the above. Faith is believing in that which cannot be proven, a "trusting acceptance" that what God has promised is true. Nuff said.

2. "I am no theologian, nor do I pretend to be," either. I am an ardent student and collector of ideas. In fact, the more I "learn," the more I realize how very little I truly KNOW. I do, however, take the opportunity to "ponder things in my heart," to weigh things against Scripture (not teaching), and to pray on it. For me, this is the most responsible path toward learning and growing. It's NOT really the same thing as memorizing and regurgitating someone else's thoughts.

3. I've never been called "Chaplan," but I have been asked by many people if I am a priest or prophet. I am neither. I am a Christian, a student, a teacher -- and someone who tries to do a little better/love a little more everyday.

4. I think it's okay to disagree. NO HUMAN is "right" about EVERYTHING. I think that God created everyone with a little piece of life's puzzle. But if we think that our piece is the ONLY piece, then we may be missing out on something wonderful. I can admit that an atheist may have a point about something -- without throwing out the entirety of Christian theology.

5. I NEVER denied that "ghosts" exist. My response was to the question of "why" they exist. (And I must say that Whitebuffalo's imagery of a "stubborn" soul refusing to be herded out of here is very vivid and intriguing!) Bruce's interpretation of Pauline thought is consistent with my own -- yet I do NOT to deny Whitebuffalo's piece. (In fact, the ideas may be somewhat companionable.)

I, too, could say a lot more. But I won't. (Insert cheers here.) My e-mail address is listed in my profile, if you want to respond.

Blessings,
Lisa
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Please excuse the use of your page, Nikki.

Gary, thank you for that answer. I have issues with understanding how one can believe in a holy GHOST, in the ESSENCE of a...
I really can not discuss it here as it would turn into something a bit more than what is necessary on this site. I would LOVE the opportunity to discuss it further, however. Please believe those are not just idle words.
I grew up in a Baptist home. Both my Mother and Father are strong religious leaders in their church. My brother's Spiritual growth brought him to the Priesthood. My sisters growth brought her to the Protestant Missionary field. I joined the military to "save the world".
I grew up KNOWING all that Lisa pointed out, and more. In fact, while in the military I was nicknamed Chaplin.
It is not a question that I asked out of ignorance to The Teachings. It was a question asked out of a true lack of understanding. I lived it. I was taught it, I memorized it. And I taught it.
It is just part of the human psyche that stumps me.
Peace and Thank you.
gary11872 (1 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-30)
Whitebuffalow:

"why is it so hard for 'christians' to believe in ghosts"...


I know a few religions who have no problem with "ghosts", others do. (I won't mention names).
Christians as a people like to think they are scientific, logical, and rational. If in greater society they denounce ghosts to TRY to look more intellegent, so be it.

Fools come and go, don't bother yourself with them.

(sorry for using your space nikki)

Gary:) a christian,
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Well, Nikki, since you posed the question, I think you will get a variety of answers. I encourage you to read through them all, agree or disagree, but keep an open mind. All of us come from different walks of life, and a myriad of religious backgrounds. Often, when we pose a question, we are looking for a cut and dry answer, but MOST of the time, there is no such thing.
My thoughts on "What does it mean when ghosts are on earth instead of heaven or hell?" are very complex. To be honest with you, here recently I asked a dear friend a very similar question, though mine was more "why is it so hard for 'Christians' to believe in ghosts?" and to tell you the truth, I am still having difficulties with the answer.
The fact of the matter is, there is no substantial scientific evidence to prove that ghosts are nothing more than just a figment of overactive imaginations. I guess the sightings could be classified under mass hallucinations, but the fact that so many DIFFERENT types have been noted kind of takes the sting out of that phrase.
I am no theologian, nor do I pretend to be. But in my belief, we are all an essence. An energy, if you will, that at one point is in the Higher Lands, another point in the Middle Lands and unfortunately, some of us also are in the Low Lands.
The Great Spirit created us with Free Will. It is OUR choice to do good, or bad, it is our free will. Some of us just have a stubborn streak that transcends to wherever we are, and in death, we are STILL stubborn and do not listen when we are to be herded to the Higher Lands. Others just get confused and are unable to make the move. Some just LIKE it here. Others have been here, went on to The Land of Many Summers and have returned to visit (THOSE are NOT ghosts, however, they are Spirits)
It would take far more than this page would allow for me to clearly give you my thoughts as to the "whys", but I would gladly clear up anything that sounds a bit off.
Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
How frightening that must have been in the home all alone to witness this 'person' standing in your mothers bed room! Whew!

Have you had any other occurances in that apartment?

Thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
gary11872 (1 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Tonith hit the nail on the head.

I think your great grandfather just popped in to say "Hi!".

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: