You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Man In My House

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In My House

 

Today is October 22nd 2008 and yesterday was a bit weird but today takes the cake. I returned home today from dropping my daughter off at high school. I am 34 and have a no mental issues and have no issues of any kind. I am very skeptical of anything out of the norm but today proves me wrong.

I went up stairs and was opening up the double doors of our master suite to allow some air to come in the room. I noticed a man out of the corner of my eye and there is no reason a man should be in my home. I yelled out a few profanities and started for my pistol but thought I should not let him out of my sight, I would just go to hand to hand against this intruder. He moved so swiftly and got to the top of my stairs in less than a second. At the top of my stairs there is a mirror on the wall, he walked towards the mirror but did not stop at the mirror.

He did look into the mirror out of the corner of his eye, fixed his hair as if he was just checking that his hair was still in place and then looked back at me. It was as if he was looking through me with a huge smile as if I was not even there and then walked to the door on his right and entered the room. The way he entered the room was very different though, the door was wide open but he sort of acted like he was walking through a tight squeeze and stooped his head down as if he was going to hit his head. There was plenty of room both ways; he did not have to do this.

Here is the weirdest part of all of this. The reason I did not chase him is that I almost passed out when I saw his face in the mirror. It was my father in-law. He passed away in March of this year. It was him but it was him with hair and him when he was about 30 I would say. I am still in tears for some reason and I am a big man with no feelings for such things but I am put back by this and not sure what to do at this point.

I will say that things have been a bit different around here lately. Yesterday my wife and I spoke of him still being around, since a few things had happened that could not be explained. Early yesterday the TV turned on by itself and we smelled cigarette smoke. He loved to smoke. We have smelled cigarette smoke a few times over the past few months and I have had a feeling of things moving around in the corner of my eye. So yesterday after all of these things happening my wife said "Dad if you here give me a sign that you are here?" While the words where still coming out of her mouth the shower turned on for maybe 15 seconds.

I am not sure how or why this is happening, why he came back and just walked through the house and looked passed me with no interaction. I would sure like to know if anyone has any ideas of what he might be doing or why he would show up but look by me as if I was not here. There was no reaction when I first cursed at him and there was no reaction from him at all. Has anyone had an experience similar to this?

I did see a small boy when I was young that was looking at the pictures on my wall in my mothers house where I grew up. I believe it was my father, since there was a picture of him in a sailor suit, just like the little boy was wearing. That was 30 years ago though.

Any input is appreciated I would like to try and understand what's going on and why he wouldn't want to move on? Can you move on to the afterlife and still present your self? Was this an attempt at letting us know he is here? Thank you for reading and helping me with this.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sean, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Seanisagolfclubtheif (1 posts)
-2
15 years ago (2009-04-14)
I believe it too was your father in law. I however believe that he was in the room waiting for you to stop being a convicted meth dealer who lies and steals. Why, Sean, did you not honor your contract on Golfwrx.com and steal that guys money and not send him his clubs? Better yet, why did you then turn around and sell it on EBAY? You my friend are a D-bag. Just so you know, we have contacted the ploice in California, and you might be heading back to jail. Karma is a BlTCH my friend. Everyone stay away from this guy. He is a liar, a thief and a covicted felon.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Excuse me please, Sean.

Hello again, Schism.
Well, I GUESS that when the ghost of Sean's father was seen as a young boy while looking at his own photograph, it could be because that he projected what he thought of himself in the photos.
BUT, It is MY belief that he was one of the beings who had Crossed Over and was presenting himself in his perfect form. It is MY belief that young children are innocent, and in that they still retain their perfect form.
The age of accountability is around the age of twelve (thirteen in some circles). The age of accountability was set at 12 years old. Most believing that this aligned with the fact that Jesus went into the temple and taught at the age of 12 years old. Others believe that because of the Jewish custom when a male child is 13 years old that there is a ceremony held at which time he begins to assume a certain responsibility. I have heard others teach that it could be any age it just depends on the child and how rapid they come to maturity, which would mean that it could be at any age in their childhood that they were able to determine right from wrong.
Biblically speaking (and this may cause a riot, I am sorry for posting it if it does) because anyone nineteen years and below were consider by God to be children and were under the protective head of the household, if he was only nineteen he was not old enough to pay a "ransom for his own soul", (Exodus 30:11-14) he was still covered under his father's ransom.
Or: his Father's ransom.
It is MY belief, that the actual AGE of accountability is dependent upon the child. I believe that there is no magic number. Children all mature at different stages of life, even within the same family unit.

Long way to explain that I think a child is considered innocent, and therefore perfect, but I thought a bit of the reasonings were important.
Thank you.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Sean,
Thank you for sharing this story with us. There are a lot of people here that can help you in answering a lot of the questions you have here. I wanted to ask you if the house you live in now is a new home or is this an old home? And did your father-in-law live with you before passing?
I have the feeling that he did this to catch your attention and for you to see that he is the one that has been doing all these strange things around the house. As everyone else said he might not see the layout of the house the way you do but the way it was in the past. That is if there was a house there. Maybe that is why you saw him enter the room in a different way.
What I personally would do is have yourself a small recorder and have your wife ask him questions I have had many comunications with whatever is in my house this way.
The answer might be there.

Good luck and keep us posted
God Bless
Schism (44 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Whitebuffalo, you are so awesome!

Sean, one question...

At the very end of your post, you said that the apparition of a little boy was looking at pics hanging on the wall and you said the little boy was your dad.

Was you dad deceased at the time?

And this question is for Whitebuffalo:

Please explain to me why a deceased adult would return in the form of himself as a child.

Could it be because he was looking at pics of himself as a child and he projected what he thought of himself in the photos?

It fascinates me!
Rodney (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
-Sean-
Excellent story. How old is your home? Reason for asking, there used to be doors that were split in the middle, allowing the top door to be open while the bottom is shut (and vise-a-versa). Maybe this is what he is seeing, something resembling his old home, or the way your home was many years ago, or the home that was there before yours. You did say that he resembled a younger version of himself.
Also, this could just simply be a way for him to make sure you were paying attention. As you said, it didn't make any since but very noticeable.
Good luck with everything. Keep us posted. I want updates.
Thanks,
:-D
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Hello Sean.
First off, Welcome.
For questions such as these, you MAY be in the majority of society. We do not know as much about ghosts as most of us would like, and most of the answers that I will write are theories. There is MUCH about ghosts that is still not understood.
It is MY belief that when we pass on, some of us do not necessarily Cross Over immediately. Some are just lost. They have no idea that they have died. If they are not dead, WHY would they travel to this blinding white light? Some are just scared. They have no clue as to what the Other Side holds. In actuality, NONE of us really do, but for them it is a bit more "in their face" as they have reached that crossroad. Some have moved on to the Other Side, but return to visit with those they loved who are still here.
I might note, that for those who come back to visit, they are NOT in the same time zone we are. A minute for them COULD be a hundred years for us. There are times in which entities come back to visit with relatives, only to find that their entire family is no longer there. That kind of explains why homes that have had no activity for the entire lifetime of an individual could suddenly appear to be haunted.
When we DO Cross Over and are coming back to visit, depending on our frame of mind, we come back two different ways. One is that we simply come back as we left. The only real difference is that any ailment we once had, is usually gone. Any disfigurement is usually gone. The other way that we may return is in our perfect form (very reminiscent of Angels, only we are "just" Spirits). In our perfect forms, we may NOT be recognizable. After all, who among us is perfect?
The part of your story that grabbed me, so to speak, is that you did not recognize your father-in-law until he walked by the mirror and you saw his reflection.
I believe this to have been on purpose.
YOU have been firm in your skeptic views. You are not shy about telling people that is was "just the wind", and finding purely logical and natural solutions to the question of "What was THAT?"
Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it is BEST to look for a natural cause before jumping to the conclusion of a paranormal experience.
BUT, Your Father-in-law KNEW you. He KNEW that you would totally disbelieve your own eyes if he were to appear to you. So, the solution to that would be, to be an interloper, who "let" you see his true self.
He looked back at you and smiled to see if you recognized him. He looked at you and SMILED, because he KNEW that you had SEEN his reflection. It was unmistakable. And remarkable.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Well Sean I believe in your story and I believe that this was your father in law. I believe that Rhodes has explained many things here perfectly. I too would suggest talking to your wife. You might find some anwers there. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
Sean did you recognise it was your father-in-law when you started yelling at him? I'm asking you this as I'm trying to understand not only your own reaction but the apparition's reaction as well. You said, he faced you and smiled. How did he smile:was it a kind smile or a nasty one?

You seem to wonder why he went through that door the way he did since there was plenty of space to just walk through. Maybe so if he was really going through that particular door-the one you were seeing. But what if his view of the door-the "pathway" is a bit different? What if the "door" he sees is a bit different?

As to how a deceased individual can still appear as living, good,you've come to the appropriate site! 😊.

Most of us believe that to die in the physical world is just crossing to another realm-that is, we believe that the spirit continues to exist in another form. Sometimes this "spirit" collects all the energy it requires to fully manifest before our eyes. Why? To pay us a visit that is meant to send a message, a warning, to reveal a need for something that the deceased individual has along with a few other things.

Talk with your wife a little more and try to learn a few more things about your father in law:what his life was like, what kind of person he was and what were his "wishes" or "concerns" before he died. Somewhere in there you might discover the reason or urgency behind his visits and when you do, try to assist him if assistance is needed or assure him that his presence is perceived if his visit was meant to comfort you and his beloved family.
Gigi809 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
i am wondering what kind of relationship did you and your in-law had?
Probably ghost have an attraction to you, they can hold some kind of closure to you...
I think he just wants to let you know that you have nothing to worry about that he's there to take care of of you guys.
If you want him to go away let your wife tell him but not in a bad way...
Jitow (362 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
That is awesome. He was stepping back into his dimension. It must be like slipping in through a tent door or something.
Ghostgirl24 (9 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
Sean,
I have been interacting with the dead since I was 3, I have come to realize that once we past on we all become 30. Everyone is 30 on the otherside I know this is hard to believe but its very much true. Your father in law has moved on he just wanted to let you know that he is still around and that even though he has past on he is still there for you and your family.
keekee404 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-25)
I think he was letting his presence known and that he is still watching over you and your family. Did he used to live in your house a long time ago? Or maybe a different building was put on that land. If so, it could have been a vision from the past when he was checking himself out to prepare for an occasion before going through a narrow doorway, which of course is no longer there. It just seems that these are friendly visits and visions from the past that were captured by strong emotions. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: