You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Ken

Real Ghost Stories

Ken

 

When I was younger my Mother and two Aunties all worked as barmaids and cooks in the same pub in the town we live in, for many years the pub was run by a couple called Ken and Doreen, I took a particular shine to Ken, I found him to be a very kind, caring and loving character, as was his wife but there was something extra special about Ken.

He was a tall, slim guy with dark hair which he was losing gradually, he had a really defined face and his voice was really deep and gruff, he always rushed around, his walk was almost a run he moved so quickly.

Ken and Doreen stopped running pubs and we saw them round town occasionally, I heard from family members that he had been ill with cancer but when he died a few months later nobody told me, I found out weeks after his funeral. I was gutted and annoyed that no one had told me; I thought about him often, I really felt like I had lost someone really close to me, even though I hadn't seen him in so long.

A few weeks ago my boyfriend came to my town to visit, I was showing him round, it was a nice sunny day and we were walking down a street towards the bookshop and I passed a guy who looked and walked just like Ken, he had the same face and hair, I was gob smacked by the similarities, but when he looked at me and spoke I was adamant it was him, he said "Hello, you alright?" I said yes and asked him the same to which he replied yes also and we carried on in our opposite directions.

I was so bowled over that I stopped and asked my boyfriend if he had seen Ken and he had.

I called my Auntie and told her she must have got it wrong when she said he had died because I had just been talking to him, she informed me that she had attended his funeral.

I haven't stopped thinking about what happened that day, no matter how logically I think about it I can't get away from the fact that it looked so much like him and the voice was exactly the same.

It was him I'm sure of it.

Opinions welcome.

Other hauntings by hauntedbytheliving

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hauntedbytheliving, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-21)
I am agreeing with a few others and saying that it was a case of mistaken identity. I am sure you thought you saw him, but I am equally sure it was someone who just looked like and acted like him. Happens to me somethimes.
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
I think that Ken was just appearing to you because he knew that you had him heavy on your mind. You never know what can happen in situations like that. My personal opinion, I think it was cool that you got to speak to him even though you were questioning, if it really was, Ken. Thank you for sharing. 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Wow this sure is a great story. We sometimes in life never know what to expact. I bet you were confused. Hey who wouldnt. Seems like Ken wants to pop by into the city once in a while. Spirits can get attached to places they realy like. Thanks again for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Well, the bond you too shared was obviously the reason he took that long journey for you haunted. Cherish that encounter cause you've been blessed.

Looking forward to more stories from you!

Thanks for replying.
hauntedbytheliving (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
Thank you for the comments.

Surya - I was friends with Ken, he was a strong influence in my life as I was growing up, I looked up to him, I was extremely upset when I found out he had died and that I had missed his funeral. He was about 40 years older than me, I had a lot of respect for him. My partner didn't know Ken at all. But I told him a lot about him after the event.

Rhodes - I wasn't staring at the man I saw in the street that day, I merely looked up at him and felt I recognised him, when I saw that specific rushed walk and heard that voice that I had heard so many times before it was then I could have sworn it was Ken. He reacted to me the same, like he knew me so well.
He didn't say anything specific, nor did I call him by his name, we were merely passing each other in the street.
Like I say it was his traits that gave him away, the walk, the voice, his face, his smile, his clothes, his build etc.

I haven't stopped trying to make logical sense of it myself since it happened, but I cant, I am starting to believe that it may have been him saying "Goodbye" in a way, because I didn't get to.

I don't know.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
Wow, haunted.
You can really FEEL the respect that you had for Ken. How wonderful.
To tell you the truth, I am shaking my head in wonder at a few of the comments here.
OF COURSE it is normal for someone in a relationship to have strong feelings toward someone else. It DOES NOT have to be ROMANTIC feelings. Just because it is STRONG, does not mean that there is anything out of the ordinary going on. It simply means that you have an emotional tie. Not ALL people act on that, and push the envelope to see how far the relationship can get off track. There was nothing of that nature going on here.
I have walked past people that I swore I knew and I am sure that they picked up on that as I was probably looking at them with those big ol' question marks in my eyes. I HAVE had people say "Hi." (pause) "you OK?" because they HAVE seen that look.
*shrug* I really do not see anything unnatural about THAT either. That goes along rather nicely with what our reliable Miss Tammy stated.
The thing is, you have a witness that you specifically asked if he saw KEN. And HE said YES.
TWO of you.
You BOTH saw him.
What is the question? You have the proof.
Thank you.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
SnailBug

I did state I was not being rude, I am allowed to make an observation and cast my opionions without offended anyone, I did not say anything was a crime either, as for me being inane, I don't think so! I could very easily call you something but I won't stoop that low.
SnailBug (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Surya, your questions are inane. Anyone can like another person, regaldless of whether or not they are in a relationship. Nowhere does it say that the author of this story had a crush on this man.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Hi Dear Haunted,

I think it could have been Ken, otherwise, why would a total stranger say "Hello, are you ok?"...I mean, unless you looked sick or something! 😜...it could have been also someone very much alike, I had this experience few years back when I moved and saw a woman so much (but SO VERY MUCH) like my teacher...I'm sure she wasn't my teacher bcs my teacher was/is a nun and this lady was working for a Department store (ha!), but that made me re-thinking the idea that we all have our double somewhere, thanks for sharing your story and regards, 😁
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
It is not uncommon for people who lose someone they love or are fond to mistake a complete stranger for them.

Did your boyfriend know Ken to look at and to speak to?

Just how strong were your feelings for Ken?

Sorry I don't mean to be rude, but is it normal for a person who is in a realtionship to have strong feeling for another?

This is evident by what you write and of the fact that you say you saw Ken.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Although I believe that what you experienced is possible-it has happened to other people as well-I need to ask you if you could be a little more specific concerning your interaction with "Ken" that day. Is it possible that whoever spoke to you did that because you were staring at him and he might have thought you might be an old acquaintance? Did he say anything in particular that would lead you to believe he was that particular man? Did you call him by name-did he answer to that name? I'm sorry to ask so much-it's not an attempt to belittle your experience! I 'm only trying to discard all other possibilities.

Thank you haunted...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: