You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Do Fishes Have a Spirit?

Real Ghost Stories

Do Fishes Have a Spirit?

 

I'm struggling with this myself, to decide if it was real or if I imagined it. All I can do is write it down here, as it happened to me, and let you all be the judge.

I left England, UK, to come and live in Argentina after a difficult time in my life. I moved to San Telmo, to get involved in the antiques trade that I love, in Buenos Aires. Now this is a town rife with spiritual activity, although I didn't know that when I moved here! I was aiming for Palermo because a friend lived there, but ended up in San Telmo - long story. Anyway.

When I first got my apartment, I was lonely: I admit it. I would've liked a dog or a cat but the landlord was difficult, and I didn't want to push my luck in my new country. So I got myself two fish, thinking "the landlord can hardly object to the noise they make!" and for a few months, we were all happy.

Then, sadly, I found one morning that both fish had died in the night. I don't know if they'd fought, or there was something in the water, but dead they were, both wedged in the bubble-generating treasure chest that they'd loved while they were still with us. I buried them in the little park outside the Recoleta cemetery, and got used to the idea that they were gone. But I missed them, and after a few weeks had passed, I decided to get new fishes. I couldn't see a reason to replace the tank, or the plants, or the treasure chest since it was clearly popular.

But here's the strange part: it doesn't matter what I do, the new fish won't go ANYWHERE NEAR the treasure chest. I even tried putting their food inside, but they wouldn't touch it! In the end I got a new tank, and they're happy in there. But what was it about the old treasure chest that made them fear it? Perhaps I'll never know.

Thanks for letting me share that. It's hard, far from home and estranged from your mother, to deal with these things and sometimes you just think you're imagining it. It's good to know other people share these experiences, and you're not alone with them.

Love

Jose

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

GhostBeliver1234 (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-31)
My fish reacted the same way. I had them with my first cat. I even got to see some of them but when I blinked once or twice, they were gone. I truly believe that animals from horses to bugs have spirits. And every other living thing. 😊 😊 😊
Ch3L534 (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
i disagree, I have have had many fish whom have died and got new ones. Same tank and everything, they go all over the tank. So my opinion is the past fish still roam around there 😐
ParanormalSpectrum (3 stories) (26 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
It might be that the chest smells like the other fish. I know when I got a new cat I had to get rid of the litter box and dishes and toys (there goes a hundred bucks down the drain) and buy a whole new set (and another hundred goes to join it's friend!) before my cat would even touch the food or litter. That's all I can think of.
sameeca (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
there could be animals spirits-or bug spirits. It explains how those dratted flies keep popping up everywhere-even though you know there was only two in the room originally-and you distinctly remember swatting them-yet they don't seem to have gone-and you just can't seem to catch these blighters!
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
yes I heard that people can see animal spirits and that so yes I would say. 😊
ellycat (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-15)
i have never heard of fish havings spirts but I have heard that you can't bury things like donkeys and stuff like that in a padock where you keep our animals cause all they will do is stand where you buryed the animal and won't eat or nothing
midnightlauri (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-21)
Jose,
All things have a spirt. People, trees, cats , and yes even fish. If it is not unreasonable to admit that a cat or a dog will shy away from a highly spiritual area that I do not see that it would be different for fish as (any fish owner can tell you) they are intelligent creatures with opinions and concerns of thier own. I am sorry your fish passed. Enjoy your world.
Mrs Dallinger (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-17)
Yes reader, you may well be correct in your suggestion that an electrical fault was the cause.

Might I suggest the owner dips his tongue in the water for a second. Should be able to detect an electrical fault that way.

Yours ever-so-sincerely

Mrs D Dallinger
Remus (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-20)
An electrical fault seems more logical than fish ghosts. I mean if there are fish ghosts, that means there must be bug ghosts. Wait, I'm getting itchy just thinking about it!
A.T. (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-17)
Perhaps the original fish had secreted a substance within the treasure chest when they died, which in nature, would build up around predator's liars and help later fish schools to avoid danger.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-03-16)
I also doubt that animals are actually scared of ghosts or hauntings, unless the spirit is particularly malevolent, if animals see them, which I am sure with their keen senses, they surely consider it a natural part of their environment... Just my opinion.
S.H. (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-16)
A waaayyy more logical explanation would be that the object was giving off some sort of toxin as it was exposed to water. That's what killed the first pair and perhaps if the concentration was diminishing through time, the other fish could detect it and avoided it. It's really ridiculous to think that fish are haunted. Let's be serious.
jessy (6 stories) (35 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-15)
All animals have spirits, and the new fish probably sensed the deceased fish in that area.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: