You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: The Smudge And My Struggle

Real Ghost Stories

The Smudge And My Struggle

 

I woke up just like I normally do... Turning over and going back to sleep. This time I was lying on my back looking at the ceiling when all of the sudden... I couldn't breathe. I saw something hovering above me. It was as if I was wearing a pair of glasses that had a smudge on them. That's the best way to describe it.

My wife was sleeping within touching distance and I have two dogs (both of which, were also on the bed) neither were awake. I tried to talk but couldn't speak. I attempted to wake my wife using my right hand but couldn't move it. I am a fairly strong person but still I could not move my hand even few inches.

I focused back on the "smudge" and continued my struggle. It then seemed as if my eyes were shutting on their own. I felt like it was a battle I was losing... I felt like I was dying. Before my eyes

Completely closed I screamed,"F*** You! (in my head). I fought to move extremely hard to move and finally I touched my wife's shoulder. Then, all of the sudden, everything was ok (12:30am).

I told her to turn on the light (which took her forever) and then I explained what I thought just happened. She didn't believe me, thought I was dreaming. So I got out of bed and started writing this-not sleepy.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wolvesrein, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jesusfreak777 (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-03)
VendettaVal3
Yah I know. Sorry but I had a lot of fun I will drop in and say hello and see how you all are doing soon take care!:)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
Hmmm.
Do you mean to say that while you were trying to see clearly, it LOOKED as if you were looking THROUGH an inch of water?
OR... Like on the telly when you are SUPPOSED to be "seeing" the invisible person? (Honestly, I am NOT trying to be funny) Did it appear this way out of BOTH eyes, or just one of them?
I would suggest that you have your blood sugar, AND pressure checked. BOTH can cause distorted vision as well as a bit of a paralysis... AT TIMES. It can ALSO make you feel as if you are fighting against a great weight to MOVE.
Wa'-do
kuehnau (5 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-01)
Sleep paralysis sounds like the most definite answer here.

The idea is when you are sleeping, your brain goes through cycles and in the most deepest one, it disconnects from your body while you sleep so you don't hurt yourself.

Sometimes we will wake up before our brain has had a chance to reconnect to the body and we will be unable to move or talk. During this time, the brain may still be in the process of dreaming and can project our dreams onto our own reality.

Think of a pair of cheesy 3D specs, with the red and blue lenses. The red is reality and the blue is a dream. Sometimes during sleep paralysis, the blue will get overlapped on the red. This can sometimes lead to horrifying waking nightmares.

In all honesty 'old hag' was just a old way people used to try and explain sleep paralysis. If the problem keeps happening, go see and doctor and talk to them, as it could be leading to a more severe medical problem.
ThatRandomGuy (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-28)
Definatly a sleep paralysis/ old hag phenomena. Going with the popular trend do some studying on how to protect yourself should it come back (most accounts of old hags/sleep paralysis I've heard it's continual).
Good luck and stay safe!
-TRG
VendettaVal3 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-27)
You seemed very scared, tense and just plain horrified. The emotions disturbed me... Did your wife look at you differently after wards? Do you feel traumatized? And Jesusfreak777, you never came back to the chat room...

-Val
jesusfreak777 (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-27)
Yes I have to agree it does sound like sleep paralysis! But you should be able to do some research and come to the conclusion yourself! Now if this continues to happen I would have to say maybe not sleep paralysis what exactly did you feel during this time of being paralyzed? Did you feel something evil,cold? What were your feelings. I have dealt with this sort of thing but in my case it was not sleep paralysis.

Thanks Brandon
ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-27)
Sleep paralyis is the best conclusion I was thinking that all the way through the story.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-27)
wolvesrein--As hazzard says, it sounds like a sleep paralysis event. Like so many others, I've had them and they are varied in imagery but always scary, with an emphasis on the paralysis part. You'll remember this for a long long time.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-27)
sounds to me just like sleep paralysis. It can cause hallucination and on average a person has it twice in their lifetime. Have a little research on it and see if it matches what happened to you
Take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: