You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ghost In The 6th Year Corridor

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost In The 6th Year Corridor

 

Here is a story told to me by my school's 6th year form master.

First I'll give the background - my school is very old (going back to the 1800s), and in it's time, it has quite a bit of history. For obvious reasons, I can't mention my schools name, but for the purposes of the story, I'll assume what I've been told by many people to be true.

In the early 1900s, a man was murdered somewhere in the 6th year corridor under suspicious circumstances. There's official documentation to prove that someone was murdered at the school at that time in the 1900s, but one of my friends has told me that in the 1950s, a mad friar burned down the archives that kept the information. Our school is run by a religious order, but they're quite secretive about the murder - one of my friends asked one of the friars, who reluctantly confirmed. A different friar told me that the murder never happened. There are many other rumours about my school, but I would be going off on a tangent to explore them.

To describe the geography of my school, it has a lot of fields, with the school buildings in the centre. In the centre of the main building is a square open air courtyard, and one side are the 1st and 2nd year classrooms. The other 3 sides are passages with various rooms on the side. Up one storey are the 3rd and 4th year classroom, the labs, the 5th year classrooms and some more rooms. Finally, the 2nd storey is one above that, and this contains the 6th year corridor, where this murder took place. The 6th year corridor is very quirkily shaped (imagine a question mark with corners where the curves would be). One of the rooms is now sealed off (this was for practicality reasons - it used to be a common room when my school used to be a boarding school, but it now has no use. All that remains is a door that leads to nowhere). Behind that door, the man was murdered over a century ago.

The 6th year form master in my school told me that he was up there one night at 9pm, and he unlocked one of the doors to the 6th year corridor (the doors to the corridor are all locked at night time). He locked the door after himself, meaning that no one could have followed him. He switched on the light and began to walk along the corridor, and while passing the classroom with the sealed door at the back of it, he looked in at the door, and then back at the corridor, he saw a man standing still. He said that this man was wearing a waistcoat, had trousers down to his knees, a bow tie and shoulder length straight hair that was combed back. The 6th year form master could see approximately the side profile of the man, so he could see some of his face, and he said that he looked quite depressed. Being a bit creeped out by the man standing still and solemn, he hurried along to his office and when he had collected the stuff in his office, the man had disappeared.

When I hear a ghost story, I tend to keep an open mind, but at the same time, I'll try and find a rational explanation. I definitely don't believe my teacher would lie to me; I trust him fully, and would say that he was being honest with me. I highly doubt that someone hid in the corridor and dressed up in old fashioned clothes just to trick the form-master, and anyway, no-one in my school looks quite like the man my teacher saw. The only realistic explanation is that my teacher imagined the figure, but he's a normal, level-headed teacher, so I can't see a reason why he would imagine the man.

My school is really a fascinating place, and there are lots of rumours surrounding it, especially the attic (quite a scary place I'm told), however, this story is the only one I've heard that I find believable.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ArmchairPsychologist, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-16)
for obvious reasons you can't mention the schools name? Id love to know what the obvious reason is...
moonshadow (3 stories) (146 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
Like your screen name really nice.
Your story is really interasting but like you I like to invistagate any ghostley happenings before I put it down to anything paranormal, However I do believe in an afterlife and I don't totally dout that there
Are strange things out there that can't be explained I suppose we are all trying to search for answers indeed things of a ghostley manner have happened to me that I found no unearthley answer for and I will submit these stories later. Take care slan go foil...
DollyDagger (4 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-14)
Very interesting story. There are a few rumors at my school too. But I (thechnically) go to school in California at a highschool that was built five years ago (my brother was in the first graduating class). In the past month someone I know at school told me that they saw a little girl at the end of a hallway on the second story. I haven't been able to look into it since I'm not currently there, but I don't see why there would be a little girl haunting a highschool. And there was nothing there before the highschool was built (It's built in the middle of nowhere), just a canyon.
My sister's ex told me one time that he saw a little boy following him around school all day, one day last year, but whenever I ask him for more information he doesn't give me a straight answer which either makes me believe he's lying or just doesn't want to talk about it.
Someone has died every year the school has been opened, but they haven't died at school. The closest someone has died to school was on their way to school. But that doesn't mean they can haunt it. Except for this year, the closest any one has come (so far) has been attempting suicide by jumping off the second story. No one has given me any details about it because it's been kept really quiet, I still don't know who it was.
But anyways, that is very interesting about your school. My best friend is staying in Ireland for six months so it was pretty cool reading a story from there.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-11)
I will look up your other story on that site! I'm interested in reading it. Actually, I read just about anything. I'm such a nerd about reading! LOL! 😆 I look forward to hearing from you but as you said right now sleepiness is claiming me and my bed is calling! So hopefully I will have time soon. Have a great night! ❤
ArmchairPsychologist (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-10)
Raingirl, I'm glad you liked the urban myths - I love all the stories that do be floating around about my school. I'll get back to you over the next few days about my school in general (unfortunately, I don't have much time at this hour of the night - sleepiness is enticing me away from the computer and upstairs for bed).

As for my name - on this website, I would like to contribute ghost stories that make a strong impact on the reader. However, the only ghost stories I know are those told to me by my friends and those I've read on the internet (which still amounts to quite a few). I like to make up ghost stories aswell (I wrote one about a haunted bus that goes up to the Dublin Mountains - it's one Deviantart.com somewhere under the title, "The Last Night Bus to the Dublin Mountains." I'm also directing a ghost film in my school in the summer, and the 6th year corridor and the attic, two reputedly haunted places, are going to be used if I can get permission). However, among the romanticism of ghost stories and paranormal theory, I don't want sight to be lost of the scientific, logical and practical side of ghost stories. When you see me commenting on ghost stories, it'll nearly always be some kind of scientific or psychological explanation or suggestion as to how the story might not be so scary after all. However, when I post ghost stories, I'll go into a lot of detail to create the setting and give a feel for suspense and relief. However, I'll balance it out by commenting on the possible explanations and psychological possibilities.

Overall, I like the scary part of ghost stories, but I like the psychological part aswell. The reason I'm an "Armchair" psychologist is because I'm not a professional psychologist, just someone who takes an informal interest in psychology from the comfort of my seat.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-09)
Hey! I love the urban legends that you included. They were interesting. If you'd like to e mail I would be intersted in hearing more about your school. My e mail is on my profile page.

I will give you a litte history on my screen name. I chose the name raingrl01 back when I was a senior in high school My parents were going through a divorce and my sister and I were going through some hard stuff that I won't put on this site and I was in a depressed mood a lot. My mother even had me evaluated because it was so bad. Anyways, with the way I felt then, rain was perfect company for me. It suited me. Now I use it out of habit and some people know to find me online anywhere with that screen name. And '01 is the year I graduated. I love your name. It makes you stop and think for a minute. How did you come up with that? ❤
ArmchairPsychologist (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-08)
Hopkirk, those are some interesting stories - your religion teacher sounds like an interesting man.

As an aside, here are a couple of urban myths about my school. I'm certain they're not true, but I like telling them nonetheless.

First, there's the attic. Several people have told me that the attic is haunted, but none of them have seen ghosts or paranormal activity up there. I haven't been up to the attic yet, but to describe what I've heard, it has several rooms, and each archives old reports, documents, debris, equipment and various this, that and the other. There is a switchboard for lights, but there are no lights to turn on. The light comes in through skylights, which is grand during the day, but at night, the attic is pitch black, and very scary.

In the middle of the attic, a turret used to protrude from the roof. There was a 180 degree view window on the turret, and on top was a glass pane that covered the semi-circular piece of glass. The rumour went that if you stood underneath the glass pane at 4.15pm any evening, that you would see two faces staring back at you as a reflection, and that they aren't the faces of cleaners who used to work in the attic. The idea was that at 4.15pm, everyone is either going home, about to go home or doing some extra-curricular activity. However, the turret was taken down very discreetly several years ago. My friend said that he looked up at the turret when we were in 3rd year and saw that it had been taken down very suddenly and without mention.

The next urban myth is that in the 1990s a 1st year was accidentally trampled to death. A friend in my year told me that when his brother went to school in the 90s (his brother is quite a bit older than him), there used to be a tradition that on the first day of the school year, that the 6th years would chase the 1st years as a joke to scare them, but obviously only to give them a scare and not actually do any harm. However, one year a 1st year was trampled to death while fleeing the 6th years. I'm quite certain this isn't true, because a death at school would make national news and would be remembered for a long time. Then again, it was my friend that told me, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Then again, it might have been kept quiet, because I've heard of suicides in various schools that have been kept quiet. Funnily enough, the friend that told me this story has a photo on his phone that contains a ghostly face in between two peoples' legs.

Another rumour is about the tunnel that connects my school's grounds to a local park. It's an underground tunnel that's probably infested with rats, but a guy in the year below me says that his uncle had a haunted experience there years and years ago. I don't know whether he's telling the truth or not, but I might find out when I ask him more.

There used to be a rumour that our school has a dungeon that's haunted, but that's just a misunderstanding - "The Dungeon" is merely a nickname given to the changing rooms beneath the stage of the concert hall. It was the place that the bad boys had to sleep in back in the 1950s.

Our school has a new wing that was opened several years ago. It's the modern area of the school, where many extra-curricular activities go on. One of my friends in my year told me that there's a "New Wing Ghost" - he said that one evening, music was being played in the music room, but when someone went in, the music stopped and nobody was there. Another person told me that it was just one of the friars playing music.
Hopkirk90 (2 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-08)
Sorry about the delay. My R.E. Teacher had a few stories, I can't possibly remember them all.
One was of a ghost that appeared so solid that people actually thought it was a real person. It was in one of his friend's houses and visitors would believe that the ghost was real. One person talked to it for a while, not realising, then went to the bathroom. They came back downstairs and asked the house occupant where the man had gone. The occupant said, "Oh so you've met the house ghost then".
Another story he told was when he was a phone technician. He went to fit telephone cables in an empty house and, while he was upstairs, somebody ran up the stairs. He went to find out who it was but nobody was there. He went to ask the neighbours about it and they said that it was nothing unusual since it happens many times a day.
Another story I can remember (the last paranormal one) is when he got out of a van (and left his wife in the van). He came back, got into the van and they both saw a translucent face looking into the back window of the van. His wife was a bit uneasy about it, but he said it was nothing to be scared of.
He had also seen a lot of orbs and had taken pictures of orbs in graveyards and churches.
A not-so paranormal one, but still strange, was that when he was a phone technician, he fell 30ft from a telephone-line pole. He escaped with a few bruises.
I tend to believe these stories because they weren't too unbelievable to me. A lot of the children there thought they were exaggerated, though. 😉
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-07)
Thank you, ArmchairPsychologist.
Well met. I appreciate that.
Sounds as if you have a very good head on your shoulders, and a mind to match. I wish you well in life, and who knows? Maybe you will come back with another one after being in the 6th year,
Thanks again.
ArmchairPsychologist (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-07)
Sorry about the delay in replying, some busy things have taken up my time. First, in response to Raingirl (I like the name - rain is something I enjoy more than the average Irishman), my school used to be a boarding school, until the late 60s or early 70s, I think. The reason that the friars are so secretive is that any admissions of a murder will cast aspersions on the school, because people in the school will inevitably mention it to people outside the school who will immediately begin to make assumptions. The secrecy is understandable. There is also next to no documentation of this after the archives were allegedly burned. My only bet would be for me to sift through the Irish Times archives, but that would cost me money.

Tonith was asking about sending in an investigation team. I understand your viewpoint, but it would be very difficult to arrange. Not only would the friars not allow it, but I also don't know if an investigation is really enough of a big deal. Aswell as that, it would cost money. Ah well, I might see the ghost next year when I'm in 6th year.

Next, in response to White Buffalo, I believe that anything physical can leave an imprint, because, let's face it, atoms have the habit of getting dislodged from the larger block of matter. However, I can't really comment of the imprint of a soul because to date, there is no scientific way of explaining a soul, how it comes about or even how all the energy in the universe came to exist. It's a delightfully headwrecking question to ponder, but at the end of the day, we know that souls exist (it's clear to see in the world around us), but we just can't scientifically explain them, never mind come up with scientific facts about their imprints.

If I'll be pedantic, the teacher is not my form master yet (I'm still in 5th year). I might as well give you a little more background, just for the craic. He was the 4th year form master when I was in 1st year and 2nd year. When the vice-principal retired, he became the 6th year form master, and it was some time in the past few years that he saw the ghost. He's been at my school since he was a child, and now, decades on, I'm friends with his son, who's in 6th year. He told me that when he was my age, that he used to go into the attic, one of the oldest parts of the school, and definitely the spookiest if what I hear is correct. He used to run a radio club up there and would sometimes hide from mass on Sunday up there (Ireland had a strict Roman Catholic tradition in the 1960s). He said he never encountered any ghosts up there.

In this present day, he's one of the longest serving teachers in our school (funnily enough, our longest serving is a 60 year old who literally looks half his age). I definitely trust him, because he's a sensible and level headed man. Some people think he's crazy, but that's only because he cracks jokes in class. I've told this to a couple of other teachers and they told me he could well have imagined it. Whether he did or not, I don't know, and I don't know if we ever will.

There are a few urban myths about my school that I personally don't believe. I might as well post them on this line of posts when I get a bit more time. The site rules say that submitting a story requires the story to be true as opposed to being an urban myth, so I'd be best posting them as an aside to this story.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
Great discussion guys. I tend to be more of a believer without proof than a skeptic. But after reading all of the comments I have been trying to debunk the things that are going on around me. I haven't been able to debunk anything yet. Thanks for opening my eyes.

I loved the way you described your school. If I read your story correctly then your school used to be a bording school but isn't any longer? Your teacher seems sincere about his retelling. I wonder why all the secrecy surrounding this murder? Interesting. Are there any archives, newspaper articles, etc. That you could research online? If you ever find out please be sure to let us know. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
Thank you for your candor, ArmchairPsychologist. I appreciate your honest reply.
What about the hypothesis that EVERYTHING leaves SOMETHING behind? Soap residue, plant spores, human DNA, (I am NOT trying to get into an argument, believe me, I am just trying to get a full picture into your beliefs) pieces of rubber off of tires. Do you believe that SOULS do not leave an imprint?
I ask as it would SEEM (I am not a scientist, only a seeker of knowledge) as if purely physical things tend to leave behind a shadow of what was once there. "You" (used generically) can use special equipment and detect things that have not been in a location for quite some time, in fact reporters use them often for evidence of a variety of things.
I am in total agreement with you on the "leaves too much up to the imagination to interpret", as I have said it often in the past, but in different terms (such as "It is all in your personal perspective") And there ARE those that would rely heavily on the residual to answer MANY situations.
What is your personal take on what your instructor witnessed?
Thank you.
ghost125 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
yea think this has happened to me 😊

It has HAPPENG has anny boddy heared a foot step noise
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-05)
It's perfectly reasonable to be skeptical. My first approach to all these stories is to be opened minded but logical as well. Your teacher would have no reason to lie to you. I'm sure he also knew he could be opened to ridicule so I doubt he was telling many people. Nothing like seeing a full blown apparition to rip the door of skepticism off it's hinges. I think this teacher was telling you the truth. In a building that old there is bound to be something afloat. Of course, I live in a 123 year old house and to my knowledge its ghost free. Don't know whether to be be relieved or disappointed lol. Would be a wonderful place to have investigated if your teacher could get permission to get a team in to do so.
ArmchairPsychologist (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
White Buffalo, to answer your question, no, that's not the impression I'm under. By nature, I tend to be skeptical of ghost stories, but while still keeping an open mind that it might be true. I don't really hold theories on why there may be such a thing as ghosts, but that's mainly because I haven't thought up an explanation that I buy into. The whole idea of residual energy just doesn't make sense to me because it can't be explained in terms of any scientific process, or even in terms of scientific energy. Is it light energy? That creates a hologram? Sound energy? That creates the sounds? And so on.

The problem I have with the theory is that it leaves too much up to the imagination to interpret, because whoever originally composed the theory hasn't told us of any kind of scientific theories or possible statements that he or she finds relevant. In turn, theories like this can be proclaimed by people who pretend to be psychics. I've seen so many spoofers that I tend only to believe ghost stories that are told to me by people who have no reason to have a ghost experience. Not all psychics are spoofers, but when I hear a theory that sounds too romantic or too vague, I tend not to believe it.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
So, are you under the impression that everything that is found to be Paranormal is an Intelligent Haunt? You say that the residual energies do not quite ring with you. How would you explain the ones that can not communicate as they are simply a replaying of events and nothing more?
I always enjoy hearing other peoples views on these things. I am eager to learn, and for that, I enjoy reading the opinions of others.
Thank you for explaining the year for me. I feel utterly foolish at times when reading through a story and not understanding the ages of those IN that year.
Thank you.
ArmchairPsychologist (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
White Buffalo, 6th year is the last year in the Irish education system - you'd be 18 by the end of 6th year. As for the theory, we just don't know; this whole idea of "energy" getting stuck in a building doesn't quite ring with me. I may well be wrong, but I tend to think of ghosts in terms of a life that happens to be there through some mad quirk of science.

Hopkirk, that is an interesting story. Can you tell me about any of your religion teacher's other stories? I'd like to hear them, even if they don't make scientific sense.

Jasmin, you're probably wondering why I go into so much detail with the setting. For any ghost story, real or fictitious, I think that describing the setting and atmosphere in depth is an important part of the story. Details aren't always directly relevant to the story, but it give that extra bit of colour to the story; that extra element that makes it that bit scarier and more human.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
That was a great story. Thank you for your descriptions of the school, although I found them irrelevent. I also find the story believable and I bet your teacher was not lying. Whitebuffalo is right, since there was no communication between the teacher and the being, there is no way to tell if it is residual or intelligient. ❤ Jasmin
Hopkirk90 (2 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
My high school R.E. Teacher used to tell us stories about paranormal events and some people used to question him; but he was a good, truthful man and I believed him. There were rumours that our school drama room was haunted (it was in the basement) and students didn't want to go down there at night. The hall was above it. The R.E. Teacher said that one day he was in the drama room and they were using the chalkboard. He walked away so that they could have a discussion (there were only a few students there). When they looked back a few minutes later there was a picture of a sheep laying down holding a cross. He said it was as if someone had licked their finger and drawn it with the saliva.
One night after an award ceremony, me and my mum were taking pictures. Two were in the hall and the stage was dark. There was an outline of a few dark figures in the picture and many orbs found nowhere else in the building. The hall then got a reputation as being haunted too. I once looked down the corridor when it was dark and saw a figure walking up. I got so scared of it I went home quickly. The ghost in the basement apparently moved chairs around too. He was a late 1950's school teacher (apparently). I think historical buildings tend to have a lot of emotions associated with them, so spirits tend to return. The emotions can also appear as residual energy.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-02)
LOVE the screen name!
Please excuse this first question, I am just not well versed in your education system. WHEN is the 6th year? I have no idea if this is the equivalent of our "elementary" schools or something else. Sorry.
An amazing theory is that schools, hospitals, retirement communities and other places with a high content of people are very active with those from the past. The pure humanity of it all gets "stuck", kind of like the residue of a band-aide until it is scrubbed clean.
This sounds a BIT like that (only in that there was no vision of a DEATH, only the man STANDING there looking depressed). As the teacher did not try to communicate (I have to say that I probably would have walked quickly down the hall and away from this figure, too) there really is no way to tell if it was a residual haunt or intelligent.
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: