You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Travelling Spirit?

Real Ghost Stories

Travelling Spirit?

 

This is my first submission! I've had many experiences, but this is one of my most disturbing. I feel like it should have been something in a movie, but it wasn't.

Let's start off by being frank. I have a hard time with the paranormal. It's not that I don't believe in it (I've always been somewhat sensitive), but it does scare me. I know it shouldn't, but I can't help it. I'm fascinated with the paranormal, but when it comes down to facing it head on, I retreat. I don't feel that I should seek it out--I would rather leave them at peace. If they want to communicate with me, that's one thing, but I'm not going to hunt them down. Maybe I can get some pointers on how to control my fear and nerves and to resist the urge to run away?

Anyways, I know for a fact that my home is occupied by a spirit. Ever since I can remember, I get an anxious feeling in my basement. I feel like someone is watching me and like someone follows me up the stairs (Even 10+ years of this, I still look behind me as I go up the stairs). Almost every night, I can hear someone walking around in the upstairs kitchen. But that has always been the extent of it.

About 6 years ago, I was sitting at the kitchen table when I heard our very loud, squeaky screen door open and shut, so I looked over, but no one was there. I just wrote it off as my imagination and kept doing what I was doing. A few moments later I heard this intense heavy breathing in my right ear (the best I can describe it is almost asthmatic. I can still hear it in my head--I don't like it!). I looked around, didn't see anything, got scared, and ran into the other room.

A few days went by, uneventful. I was in the kitchen again when I heard the same breathing in the corner of the room. I looked around and didn't see anything, and I had the same reaction that I did before. I got scared and ran into the other room. I began hearing this breathing more often, and eventually began hearing it exclusively in my bedroom, coming from the far corner opposite my bed. I tried to write it off as my imagination, but I would stop breathing to try to prove to myself that it was all in my head. The breathing continued as I stopped breathing to listen. I would just put the covers over my head and try to go to sleep.

One night in particular, I had the covers over my head as this breathing was going on and I felt my bed droop down like someone was sitting near my feet. I was paralyzed. I didn't know what to say or do. Eventually the bed rose as if the being stood up and left the room.

After that, things got worse. Electronics would go crazy (TV's would change channels, or turn on and off on their own accord, alarm clocks would go off when they weren't set, radios would turn on to full blast on their own, etc.) and I started seeing things.

I was down in my basement doing laundry when I out of the corner of my eye I saw someone walk down the hallway. I turned my head to see who it was and all I saw was a person's leg (like they were walking away) disappear behind the doorway. I looked around, but didn't see or hear anyone go up the stairs.

My sister said she saw the top of someone's head go into my bedroom out of the corner of her eye. She thought it was me because it had brown hair like mine, but I was in another room down the hall.

I heard that breathing in my room every night for weeks. It got to the point where I didn't want to sleep in there anymore. I slept on the couch more often than not.

One night (around 1am), I was up watching television with all the lights on (I had this absurd belief that nothing could get you in the light--psh. Yea right). My dad worked graveyards, so it was just me and my sister at home, but she was asleep. I was sitting there when someone walked into the doorway. I looked over, thinking it was my sister. What I saw will honestly be burned in my brain for the rest of my life. It was a very tall person with shoulder-length wavy brown hair. There were no gender-features--all I saw was a solid white body with arms and legs. I remember the hands and fingers being very prominent. All I saw in the face was two huge black holes where the eyes should have been. No nose or mouth.

I was like a deer in headlights--frozen. It just looked at me for what seemed like minutes, and slowly turned and walked towards my bedroom. I have never been so terrified in my life. I couldn't move. I didn't sleep at all that night. The whole time I was paranoid that it would come back, but it didn't.

The next couple of days went by with nothing happening. I honestly thought that it was over. But, alas, the breathing started again, but back in the kitchen where it originally began. I kind of got fed up at this point and told it that I was tired of it scaring me and I wanted it to leave. A few minutes later, I heard the squeaky screen door open and close again, and I haven't experienced anything like that since. Just the typical basement anxiety and someone walking around in the kitchen at night.

All of this occurred over a period of about 6 months. To this day, if I see a movie with disembodied breathing, or am watching a paranormal show that catches breathing on EVP's, I get flash backs and freak out. I don't believe that it was malevolent in anyway, but it still scared the be-Jesus out of me, and continues to scare me. I'm afraid the breathing will come back.

I find it odd that all this began and ended with the door opening and closing (not physically that I know of--I just heard it). Is there such as thing as a traveling spirit? I like to think of it as my traveling ghost, although I don't wish it to come back!

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on my experience.

Thanks for reading!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sjg0531, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrZach (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-13)
Thats really interesting about the screen door. It makes so much sense it almost seems peculiar. I think that while it may be scary, it doesn't mean any harm. You asked it to leave and it left, if it comes back you can just do the same again and hopefully it will work. Good luck!
Spazztasticgirl (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-10)
Oh my! That's very creepy... I don't think that ghost meant you any harm though, but you never know, so be careful. Is there any history of death in your houses?

Peace, Spazz
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-10)
sjg0531,

Hey, thanks for sharing. I like the way you have recorded this whole experience. I am glad that you were able to handle this well. Maybe you should do the same with the spirit who walks around in your upstairs kitchen. No harm in trying...:)

JamesRobiscoe,

I really loved what you said about being a link in the chain. That was so beautiful...:)

Regards,
Logan
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-10)
That woulda scared the pure crap outta me. While I've HEARD many spirits over the years, I've always been very thankful that I never actually SAW anything. I think I would probably keel over with a heart attack. 😨
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-09)
sig0531--Interesting attempts by this crossed-over person or persons to reach you. You may be the only human around who might help them in her or his time of need. Do you think the breathing is of the same origin as the long-haired apparition? Since it seems to be the first and most persistent manifestation, it could be the most important clue to identity--and the need for help. The incomplete face may have been the best s/he could do to assemble a recognizable appearance, not to scare you.

If you were a link in a golden chain, would you allow yourself to not function, and let the chain set useless in a drawer? There are many things in life we don't choose but that choose us. We are seldom more than a link.
boobyhobbs (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-08)
WHOA! Creepy! The whole screen door thing is pretty scary to. It's like the spirit entered your house to torment you and once you told it to leave, it left the sam way it entered. Wow! That may have some sort of meaning to it. I would look into that further. Get your home blessed. It works. TRUST ME! ❤
paranormgirl005 (2 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-08)
That was a good thing for you to do, tell it to leave you alone...
Most of the time that helps but sometimes it results to the ghost getting angry...
You need to be careful with them because they are unpredictable...
I was thinking, while reading your story, I'll drop off a comment telling you to drive the ghost out, but you did it in the end...
Job well done...
One thing, I know this will be hard for you, but if something like that happens again, try not to be afraid because your fear is what makes the ghosts do more...
Did you realize that the more you got scared, the more you heard the breathing...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: