You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Strange House

Real Ghost Stories

A Strange House

 

This is a personal account of mine and dates back to the late 1970's when I was about 19 years old.

I had moved into a newer home with four other roommates. One of my roommates mother had passed several years prior and she missed her a lot.

Me? I had become very interested in the paranormal and psychic things. I had developed enough skill to sense spirits sometimes hear and see them in the corner of my eye.

We also had a friend who definitely had psychic ability. Her mother was a tarot card reader, followed astral charts and planned their activities around them. Our friend's name was Robin; we called her "Bird" for short. Bird did not live in our house but was friends with all of us.

There were a lot of strange unexplained things that happened in that house. Lights would turn on by themselves; the bathroom sink faucet sometimes turned itself full on for a few seconds then it would turn off.

One night I was home alone. None of my roommates were due to be back for hours so I just hung out in my room reading a book. I heard the first of my roommates come in the front door and began shouting something like:

"What the H*ll- OMG who did this!"

Alarmed, I opened my bedroom door and smoke poured in. Somehow the coffee pot got on the electric stove burner, and the burner switched to high. The handle melted causing the house to fill with smoke. No one else could have entered the house within those few hours without me noticing so he was sure I did it. I was reading in my room the whole time and have no explanation. Most of the time the house felt fine other times you felt like you were being watched. One of my friends told me he came by and rang the bell only to be greeted by an overwhelming feeling of dread. It made him so nervous that he ran back to his car and left.

One night my roommate wanted very much to communicate with her mother. Bird agreed to lead a séance so only me, Bird and my roommate were in the house. Bird lit a number of candles and we began. I was sensitive as possible, offering as much positive energy to the atmosphere.

It progressed to the point where we believed her mother was near when I felt and saw a very dark shadow approach us from the hallway. It didn't have form other than causing black darkness from that area and it didn't like what we were doing. I didn't say or do anything other than notice it. I could tell Bird was aware because she kept looking at the hallway too.

Suddenly there was an extremely loud "BANG" from one of the back rooms. It sounded like a six foot 2x4 was slapped hard against the wall. All candles went out at the same time as the bang. It was loud enough to cause us to jump. The séance stopped and we went to investigate the noise but couldn't locate a source. We checked all the rooms, closets and even outside the house thinking maybe a tree had fallen. Finding nothing at all, we relit the candles and began again. It progressed like before. The black shadow eventually manifested and eventually another loud "BANG". We stopped what we were doing at that point.

All of us roommates threw a big party one weekend. There were probably thirty people there. Remember my friend who ran from the house? He was there. Four of us were in my bedroom along with my friend who had run. He surprised me with bringing a candle in the room. He lit the candle and wanted a séance to find out what was in the house. Me? I didn't want to do that but it seemed like a party game so I went along. He said things like "Any spirits in the house show yourself now". I felt a terrible negative malevolent presence in the top corner of my room. I felt a wave that terrified me which it seemed to feed off of, which made the next wave stronger, making it stronger and so forth.

It wasn't just me either. Looking at the faces of the others, it seemed to be hitting us one after another and I had to stop and tell it to leave. I was angry at that point, shouting at it. The feelings disappeared but I asked my good friend to stay in the room all night, which he did.

Other things happened in that house. Objects moving, objects breaking.

The only explanation to the strange things experienced in the house was the possible effects of EMF. It was located right next to a 9 tower AM radio station. You could hear the station in the phone, on the TV- heck even on the FM radio band.

I could see how it might effect thoughts and perception but not physical things like coffee pots, bangs and simultaneously extinguishing candles. I don't know how it could possibly switch on/off appliances, radios and other things.

I would consider EMF might effect remote control reception effecting appliances but this was the 1970's and none of our things had a remote.

My few years in that house marked the first and most significant paranormal experiences which some last even today.

Other hauntings by Sergeant

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sergeant, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-05)
I might disagree with lioncat. I think there is a lot of activity in that location... More than can be explained away. Just wondering... Have you heard anything about the house as of recent? Does the house still stand? Also, I would like to make another point without getting too deep into the religion aspect of things; I consider myself a Christian. I don't think being of any religion excludes a person from experiencing paranormal. Many paranormal experiences I have had are of a good kind. For example; seeing and feeling loved ones whom have passed.

Zeta.
crazyaboutPARANORMAL (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-05)
Very interesting indeed... In what city was this located in?
lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-05)
The watched feeling probably was an EMF. The coffee pot, a mistake. Other stuff,unknown.Try to find explinations for things and you'll feel better.Don't take any offence of any of this, just tring to take off stress.
Sergeant (3 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Thank you for the comment jamesharrisman15.

These two spirits that have been with me for +30 years are not evil and/or malicious, but are widely perceived as so. I understand things better regarding the chain of events along the path of my life, why they had occured and what forces were involved since they revealed themselves last summer.

They are welcome as long as they don't get mischievous as they sometimes can be.

You can get a hint about them by reading most of my other posts.
jamesharrisman15 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
hi there I read your experience and its was scary but if they are still haunting you can use this plant we used back in my home land called Tonga its called "nonu" its believed to chase ghosts away because this plant is so sacred that it can chase the demon out forever...
Sergeant (3 stories) (98 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Thank you for the comments.

I moved out of my parents house when one of my good friends also moved out of his parents house, we gathered 3 others to share rent in a nice modern home.

It was this home which we experienced it all. I was there for a couple years then moved out. That was about 1979 and not been there since. Me and my old roomates eventually lost track of each other and I moved out of state.

It was a two bath five bedroom single dwelling home.

I became interested in the paranormal and OBE before I moved in. I was on a quest at the time to develop, culture and find-tune any psychic ability I might have even when living in that home. I'm not sure if I brought anything bad to the home but I did experience some very bad things while I was experimenting in paranormal things.
Whether they followed me to that house I don't know.

The dark shadow was definetly negative energy. It didn't want to be messed with. Bird, our psychic friend was well aware and a psychic trained by her family. I trusted her in those matters.

I've forgotten many things about that place because it's been so long ago. I "messed around" tring to develop my skills from about 1978 to 1982. I had no trainer, no guide and not even basic protections. This was years before the internet and it's vast recource of knowledge.
Most of my experiences were very peaceful but some were not so nice.

I stopped all my activity when I gave my life to Christ in 1982.
Sometime from 1978 to 1982 a spirit or spirits have stayed with me even today. I became a very devoted Christian. I ran equipment for the church I attended so I had services 3-4x a week, Bible study 2x a week, visited prisons and orphanages. I walked the walk for Christ to the best of my ability.

I had an idea there might be something still attached to me because something not of Christ remained and was persistant.
I'm sorry but I'm not prepared to share more about that at this time but it played a big part of my life.
The whole church prayed for me, "Laying of hands" at Bible studys with further prayers and even fasting trying to end what was happening.

The issue continued despite all the efforts and I just gave up diligently trying after about a year.

The spirits remained hidden and I was unaware of their presence until last summer when they (Two of them) manifested themselves.

Sorry again I can't elaborate on them yet. It's very private.

I have a other accounts I'm preparing about some of the worst experiences I've had up until 1982. I like to read about scary accounts and I've had a couple.
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
Good point about the EMF:)

Interesting story, I'm sorry I can't offer any input my mind is drawing a blank.

Thanks for sharing ❤
Jitow (362 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
Simple Math: Tarot cards, astral chart, seance = evil entity. What do you expect when you engage in that type of activity?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Could you possibly look into the history of the house? Might not necessarily be something that is atatched to your friend but something or someone that has reside there before you. 😕
mgtor (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Good story... I am sure the dark shadow was an angry spirit. Maybe it was angry because your friend may have a special gift she may not be aware just yet. He obsiously didn't want to leave. The entity might of been afraid she would make it leave with her gift. Did she ever pick up on that entity or followed back with you and your friends to tell you what it was?
bluegirl0506 (3 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Did you get interested in the Paranormal when you started experiencing things in the house, or was it before? Maybe you accidentally brought something bad into the house when you were developing your skills and doing the seances?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
Very interesting. I'm assuming you've all moved out. Do you still keep in touch? Good point about the EMF. I know exactly what you're talking about with hearing the station in the phone.

Was this a free standing home or a duplex flat sort of thing?

I hope to hear more stories/experiences from you.
Dantheman (7 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
dang that's a interesting story, I would maby looking into a blessing for your room, or maybe the whole place

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: