You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghosts At The YMCA

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts At The YMCA

 

When my family moved here from Nebraska it was the beginning of summer vacation. I was a hyperactive first grader then, and mom didn't want me in the way of the unpacking. So she enrolled me in a day camp program for kids first through fifth grade through the YMCA, where counsellors took us around to parks and swimming at the lake on a daily basis. I had two friends there. Nicky, who was older than me and the leader of the group, and Tracy, who was younger than me and would follow Nicky and me everywhere. I was sort of a sidekick to Nicky, the one who always stood behind her saying "yeeeah" whenever she was in a spat with another kid. So anyway, on to the ghost part...

Everyone told us "never use the bathroom alone. It's ok to go to the one's in the locker rooms by yourself, but never, under any circumstances, go to the one by the front door by yourself. Same goes for the ones by the computer room." being little kids we followed this rule pretty closely, most of the time. There was one time, though when we were changing from our clothes into our bathing suits getting ready to go to the lake, and it was just the three of us in there when it started. We were all mostly naked and searching our bags for our suits, so we were pretty much trapped.

There was a loud WHAM! Noise. We looked at each other, shrugged uneasily, and went back to searching for our suits. Then we heard the noise came again, accompanied by a yelping quack, like someone stepping on a duck. We froze, staring at each other with wide eyes. The blinding lights that they always put in public restrooms flickered and then dimmed, taking on a yellow colour.

There was a sound like someone walking across tile, and then the lights went out altogether. We screamed, grabbed clothes or beach towels, and went tearing out of there, running down the hall in our underwear, holding shirts over ourselves. The counsellors were not real pleased with us and were debating whether to call our parents, but we kept insisting that there was really something in the bathroom. They went to have a look, and we trailed apprehensively behind. But the lights were on and there were no strange noises, just clothes scattered across the floor.

People also said that one of the downstairs playrooms was haunted. Little kids weren't allowed there because there was all this indoor playground equipment that you had to be a certain height to use, so I didn't see that room until I got re-enrolled the following year.

There was a door joining it to one of the pools, so it always felt damp and kind of mouldy. At first I thought that was where the stories came from, but then one day after everyone had left I ran back for something and toys were falling out of the toy box every time I turned my back, even though it wasn't all the way full.

The building always has a kind of oppressive air around it. The adults say that it's just from the mould and damp, which they have been trying to get rid of ever since a pipe broke a few years ago, but the kids all believe it's a ghost.

Other hauntings by AuroraRosa

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Dakota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AuroraRosa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

freakygirl (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-13)
ohh sorry creepy my computer is kind of weird unless there's a ghost in it haha just kiding
freakygirl (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-13)
wow that's creapy, ohh no I'm in a ymca and they always say that if your alone you have to watch out for something
KatieChan (3 stories) (63 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-13)
I am not going to that YMCA that's for sure! Well that was a scary experience anyways. God Bless! 😁
VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-21)
Perhaps someone really did step on a duck. They are very loud when startled. I think I heard Rodney Dangerfield say that once.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-19)
Wow. When I go to the Ymca where I am I hate the locker room. It not its haunted or anything but it scares the living day lights out of me. Like at my pond.
To get to my pond you have to go a long way down the path, and down this other path that is in the middle of woods. And the I last time went in there with E (those who have read the nures story of mine knows who I'm talking about) I was so scared the I would see a mask man with a chiansaw coming out of no where. I nearly peed in my pants. And I think my cat Pepe felt the same way because only 2 days ago I went walking in there with my dad. And walking with us were three cats and 2 dogs. One cat couldn't find his way after he lost us so he lefted before we went in there. Pepe was late to. So it was only the girl and the 2 dogs that followed us. The dogs kept running after things and the girl was jumpy. And Pepe wouldn't even come in the woods. He waited at the end for us to come back. When he found out that we were in there.
Does the anmials know something about the path that we don't know.
GIRLIE 😲
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-18)
Oh my, that's really scary! You'd think the counsellors would know about the ghosts (Or maybe they did and just didn't want to freak you out) due to them working at the YMCA and having to clean those areas. I can't wait to hear more of you stories if you have them.

-Hope

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: