You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: The Nataraja Idol

Real Ghost Stories

The Nataraja Idol

 

This incident occurred sometime in mid 2005.

Manish, a close friend of mine received a call one day from an elderly couple requesting his help with regards to some strange happenings in their house. Manish who is an engineer by profession incidentally dabbles a bit in the field of occult, helping needy people with problems pertaining to the paranormal. Mind you, he doesn't charge a penny for services rendered to clients. He does it selflessly and believes that he has a gift from God which he feels should be shared selflessly with everyone. I have been with him a couple of times when he has gone to clients and am amazed with his proficiency and sincerity.

Coming back to my story, the callers were the Nair family who were experiencing strange things and genuinely felt that Manish could help out. Manish asked me to accompany him since I had expressed interest in actually seeing his approach in such cases. We reached Mr. Nair's house at around 12. 00 noon. Just as we were entered Mr. Nair's house I saw a strange look in Manish's eyes. It surely meant that there was something amiss in the house. We looked at each other and nevertheless carried on without any words being exchanged between us. Mr. Nair was a respectable person who had worked as a scientist with the Govt. Of India for close to 35 years. He had retired from service around 6 months back and had been given a warm farewell by his colleagues. All the incidents started happening after his retirement only. Post that he had led a fairly comfortable life with his wife and kids. Manish asked Mr. Nair to show him around. The house was aesthetically designed. Mr. Nair wholeheartedly gave the credit to his wife who was an interior designer. One thing which stood out among the rest was the prayer room which had a beautiful Nataraja Idol.

Nataraja incidentally is a depiction of the Hindu god Shiva as the cosmic dancer who performs his divine dance to destroy a weary universe and make preparations and to start the process of creation of the same afresh. The two most common forms of Shiva's dance are the Lasya (the gentle form of dance), associated with the creation of the world, and the Tandava (the violent and dangerous dance), and associated with the destruction of the world. In essence, the Lasya and the Tandava are two aspects of Shiva's nature, for he destroys in order to create, tearing down to build again.

Manish who was concentrating on every minute detail in the house suddenly stopped in his tracks and stood spellbound staring at the Nataraja idol in the prayer room. He quickly regained his composure and went around seeing the rest of the house. We came back to the living room and Mr. Nair told us about the strange things which had happened in the past couple of months. He seemed very depressed and told us that ever since he had retired nothing seemed to go right for the family. His mother who was hale and hearty suddenly died due to a freak accident caused by a fall in the bathroom. His father was found dead one night in his favorite reading chair. His eyes were wide open in fear as if he had seen something which immediately led to his death due to massive heart attack. Mr. Nair was about to go on with his woeful tale when Manish suddenly interrupted him and pointed to the ceiling fan in the living room. He looked visibly disturbed and asked Mr. Nair whether there was an incident which had any relation to the ceiling fan in the room. That is when Mr. Nair broke down and told us that this was the same fan where his son Kannan, a bright engineering graduate had committed suicide by hanging himself. There was no particular reason why a bright and cheerful person with things going his way, both professionally as well as in his personal life should take a drastic step.

His family, which until recently had 6 members was now reduced to only 3 members. Each victim dying suddenly and unexpectedly in the last 5 months. Mr. Nair who now lived with his wife and teenaged daughter Sudha felt deeply for their safety and had hence contacted Manish. Manish paused for a while and then spoke. The confidence with which he spoke gave the impression that he had understood the problem and would be able to resolve the same.

Manish's Explanation:

As soon as we had entered Mr. Nair's the house, Manish had suddenly got the feeling that he had entered a Hindu crematorium where corpses were burnt after the last rites were carried out. He had actually felt the acrid smell of burning bodies. This is what had made him uneasy in the first place.

While going around the house he constantly got the feeling that death was lurking somewhere nearby waiting for its moment to get its next victim. This was confirmed when he actually saw a shadow hanging from the ceiling fan in the dining room. The reasons for all these unfortunate happenings according to Manish were the presence of the Nataraja Idol in the prayer room. This was recently given to Mr. Nair by his office colleagues as a farwell gift on his last day in office. Mrs Nair immediately took a liking to the beautiful idol and placed it in the prayer room where the family regularly offered prayers. All this had happened around five months ago and triggered start of the ill fated deaths of three family members the same time span. Manish explained that the dance of death (Tandava) is synonymous with Nataraja who destroys first in order to recreate again. Once the idol was placed in the prayer room, the prayers offered by the family had invoked its powers and it set off doing what it did best i.e. Destroy. This was the cause of the untimely deaths which occurred in the family.

He advised Mr. Nair to immediately remove the idol from the prayer room and all would be well again. Manish also told him that the remaining three members of his family were very lucky to have narrowly escaped a similar fate as the earlier 3 victims. Mr. Nair was reluctant to believe Manish at first but somehow agreed to the same because he had no other choice. Manish himself helped Mr. Nair to have the idol moved out of the prayer room. He then told Mr. Nair that everything would now be alright and that he had nothing to fear.

Two months later we visited the Nair and found them visibly happy. Mr. Nair profusely thanked Manish for his help. The idol was taken and kept in the safe custody of their village priest who somehow understood their anxiety and empathized with them. We do not know what happened to the priest after that. Perhaps he knew of a better way to appease the God without incurring its wrath.

Things were back on track for the Nair's with no untoward incident being reported after that.

Thank heavens for that and I hope it stays the same.

Other hauntings by sanjubhat

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sanjubhat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

rorzy (4 stories) (7 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-18)
i really liked your stories...
But I don't Agree to this one because we do hav nataraja idol in our pooja room fr ages and we do pooja every day... And he doesn't create any prob like you hav mentioned... And I strongly believe he is not the reason for the death in your stories too
swapnilnarendra (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-26)
Another great narration Sanju. However I have a slight disagreement with the theory of your friend. While Shiva's Tandav resembles destruction, but its not about killing human beings or destroying families. I think there was some discrepancies in your friend's diagnosis. Did he check the idol thoroughly? I have heard a few cases where the idol was cursed. Yes, the idol of a god was cursed. It is very easy for an evil entity to curse or possess an idol by after it is 'khandit' (chipped/broken). Even a slight chip in the idol makes it possible to turn it into an object of demonic curse. So maybe the idol he received was cursed. Better keep it away from anywhere and not just a pooja room.
Sonali007 (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-09)
Being a dancer myself it is difficult to believe that the idol caused the unfortunate incidents in the family. Dancers do pray to Nataraja before practice or performance but I know some dancers who pray regularly before Nataraja's idol. Also Lord Shiva signifies Tandav (dance of destruction) and Goddess Parvati signifies Lasya (dance of creation), but Nataraja symbolizes both Tandav and Lasya, as Lord Shiva is said to be incomplete without his better half i.e. Goddess Parvati.
prati809 (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-13)
I am an ardent believer of lord shiva... The natraj idol signifies the dance of destruction by lord shiva to destroy ignorance, arrogance... But I don't agree with fact that shiv has done that... It could be something else... Your friend manish has surely not interpreted the facts correctly... Shiv destroys only to recreat... But not in this manner...
Hitman (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Sanju bhai you are very creative. Consider to start professional career as a writer
ind_83 (55 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
zzsgranny - well said, I completely agree with you. I think there is something else going on behind the curtain... ๐Ÿ˜•
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
jayesh_shri: What will you do when you run out of stories from this poster? ๐Ÿ˜†...I don't know what this person has done to you, but please take your vendetta some where else...
jayesh_shri (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Nataraj idol is a very common thing at Hindu households and temples.

The dots do not connect. One person faking so many stories - not possible.
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
What I don't understand is, why would a hindu god want to destroy its followers just because they kept an idol of his in the house? What is the logic behind this?
dodon94 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-01)
Hello Sanjay, I have read all your stories and your stories are just awesome. Even I have encountered with paranormal activities this year but I am unable to publish it due to some error from my cell phone. Waiting for your next story.
shiversdownmyspine (9 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-27)
this is the last story I have read of yours that I have read and I hope to read more soon I realy enjoy reading what you've written take care!๐Ÿ˜Š
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-19)
hi anupama, I am doing fine. Hope you are doing great too. Have sent you an email please read it if you have the time.
Take care and god bless.
P.S.: Will be back soon with a new story shortly.
anupama (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-11)
Hi Sanju,
Hope you are fine & in the best of health & spirits.
I read the story "NATRAJ IDOL" after a long time & really enjoyed. I like the way you narrated.
How is your ghost hunting? Hope to see a very nice experience from you,soon.

Regards
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
hi anupama, I am doing great. Just took a break from writing for a while. I have written another experience of mine which should be published shortly. Hope you like it. I have heard of Bhangargh. I have been to Rajasthan too but haven't visited the place. Now that you've given me a lead, maybe I shall visit it shortly. Hope you are doing fine too. Take care and enjoy yourself. ๐Ÿ˜Š
anupama (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-20)
Hi sanju,
How are you? I have not seen your stories since a long time. Hope you are fine & best of health & spirits.
I have heard from some local news papers about Bhangarh (Rajesthan). It is the world famous hunted city. You also must have got to know about this. (if still you keep interest on hunting ghost)
So when are you planning to visit for Bhangarh? ๐Ÿ˜
Sachin (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-21)
There are many nataraja temples around india, many go and worship (including me), but nothing happens. Please ask your friend manish about this. I'm curious!
wickedsunny2009 (4 stories) (42 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-06)
good story man... You know I have also heard that one should not keep the picture of battle of Mahabharata because if you keep it there will always be fights & quarrel among the family members
anupama (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
Sanjay,
This story seems so interesting. The best experience that ever heard.
anupama (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
Hi Sanjay,
I heard so much about BHANGARH, Rajasthan, which is the biggest hunted place of India.
This place is cursed & no body have dare to stay after sunset. Do you know something about this wired place?
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-13)
hi preeti, I fully understand your point of view. But at the same time we can never be sure about the exact reason for such occurrences. To be honest with you, I too have accepted a couple of Ganesh idols from a couple of well wishers and have been living peacefully without any problems. This might have been a one off case, but a strange one definitely.
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-13)
I think bad spells you'll be knowing about black magic or something ould have been done to it... We should never take these things these murtis from anyone... If anyone gives it we should give it in mandir's Lord Shiva was still there to protect them.

Om namah shivaye!

God bless you โค
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-13)
hi Shweta, thanks for your comments. It is quite common for people to give /receive idols as gifts here in India.
Your observations might be right that it wasn't given with good intentions. Same can be said about Manish's theory too.
We will never probably be able to find out the truth but I sure am very happy to have saved a family from ruin. Take care and god bless
๐Ÿ˜Š
cutechoy (42 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-12)
god is god and there is no god biside him...

God might have cursed the idol because they pray to the idol not god...

Just comment...

By:choy-choy (my nickname) ๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ˜Š
shweta_xx (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-12)
hey there... This is just my opinion so please don't feel ofended... But I thought that you werent meant to give idols prayer books etc. Unless they were from some one in the family? That's a question...
But in my opinion I think that the person who presented it or gave it to him would have been the one to curse it because he may have given it with bad intentions or half heartedly... That's the way we believe where I'm from... Others wise no preyer goes unheard if from the heart whether it be correct or not Sorry if this offended just wanted to tell you
Cherry (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-16)
Dear Sanjay,

Even I have a natraja in my temple and I worship it along with my other gods and nothing untoward has happened so far. I feel maybe the idol was possessed. It is sad to know that gods you worship can cause destruction. I would not wish it to happen to the worst of my enemies.
Ashwin (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-02)
It was a good one and interesing too! I too have a natraja idol but it is kept as a showpiece in my home. I never understood why and I didn't ask my parents too... But now I know!
ken010 (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-23)
Nice One,

Great story and Great experience,
Did that idol really killed those people, ifeel sorry for them,

Thanks anyway,,,
๐Ÿ˜†
sanjubhat (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-23)
Guys,thanks you for your comments.

Surya: I have related the incident as is.
I am a Hindu myself and can understand your point of view. This might have been a one off case also.
I checked later with quite a few people and was told that the Nataraja Idol is generally kept as a show piece in most homes and not in the prayer room.
Indian Dancers pray before the idol before start of a performance or a practise.

Yes... I had added a description of the Nataraja for the benefit of readers who might not be aware of the same.
ginko (1 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-21)
I think surya got a point... But its a nice story... ๐Ÿ˜Š reminds me of Kuroshiatsuji
shaishav34 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-20)
Thats a really well narrated story.
Thanks for sharing it with us
& special thanks to people like Manish who are still around, helping people.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: