You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Haunted By A Stranger

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted By A Stranger

 

My haunting started when I was around 17 in my mum's house in Scotland. At first, I thought it was my imagination. Photos would be moved around in my bedroom and I'd find doors and windows open when I was sure I'd closed them. Things gradually got more pronounced - the TV and lights started to switch themselves on. I saw a shadowy figure standing at the top of the staircase, but dismissed it as my imagination. The family dog refused to come into my bedroom and no amount of coaxing with food would get her to go in there. My sister (who had the bedroom next door) told me that she could hear banging and whispering coming from my room at night when I was asleep. Our mum dismissed us both as being crazy. The activity seemed to slowly spread to other areas of the house. An entire set of pans went missing from the kitchen (my mum and sister turned the place upside down looking for them), then reappeared, and plates flew off of the kitchen table and smashed against the wall. My brother and sister started to hear "evil" sounding whispering in their bedrooms, but couldn't understand what was being said. Things came to a head when my sister's bedroom door started banging and shaking while closed as if it was being kicked. My mum and sister were both in the room at the time and both witnessed it. My mum called a priest, who came and blessed the house. Everything went back to normal.

We put it behind us until about 18 months later. I was 20 by now and lived in a new apartment with my boyfriend. My sister and I were out shopping and were checking out the make-up aisle of a local pharmacy, when I heard a man whisper my name. When I turned around, the only person there was my sister. She said that my name had been said twice. The first time was too quiet and I didn't hear it, the second time was louder and I turned around. The only other person in the shop was a female cashier. My sister said that the voice came from directly behind her and that she felt breath on her neck. I am not sure what triggered this, but it started a whole lot of activity in my new apartment. I constantly had a creepy feeling that I was being watched and was afraid to be in the apartment on my own. My dogs (I had 2) would growl at nothing and move their heads as if they were watching something cross the room. I would close and lock windows only to wake up in the middle of the night with them wide open. Lights and the TV would come on after I'd switched them off. The house was always freezing cold no matter how high we turned the heating. Sometimes, I could feel something sitting on my bed or touching me. It will sound stupid, but I was always afraid of putting my hands or feet outside of the bedcovers at night because I was scared that something would happen if I did. I was scared to look in the mirror because of the over-riding feeling that I'd see something behind me if I did.

I don't know anyone who has passed away and have no idea who the spirit is. It felt evil and was really frightening. I used a home-made ouija board (made from paper) at my mum's house once with some friends when I was about 14, but it didn't work. To my knowledge, none of the friends have experienced any problems. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I am not religious, so please no religious messages.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, syriakid, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

bayouboy (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
You asked for no religious replies, yet you ask if it is a demon. You believe in demons with no God?
Anyway, you said you saw your sister and she smiled in a really creepy way. Would your REAL sister normally do that. If not I would have to go with the demon theory.
syriakid (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
I should point out that my real sister is alive and well and living thousands of miles away!
syriakid (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
Yeah it happened in a fully lit drug store. Most recently, in my new house (hundreds of miles away from the last one) my partner and I ahve started to ehar strange scratching noises. I have seen 3 "spirits" (if that's what they are). One was of a man hanging from my ceiling with a noose round his neck. He was wearing white linen trousers, but was topless with bare feet. His eyes were closed and he looked dead. The second was an elderly man in some kind of military dress walking through my house. Neither of them seemed to notice me or tried to interact with me. The third (and scariest) was my sister. I woke with the feeling of something sitting on the end of my bed. I thought it was my dog (who had actually left the room) and sat up to put him on the floor. My "sister" was sitting at the end of my bed. I saw her as clear as day. She looked at me and smiled in a really creepy way, then walked out of the room. I was NOT asleep when it happened. What do you think I should do about it?
KoltenAspen (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
As you said It will sound stupid, but I was always afraid of putting my hands or feet outside of the bedcovers at night because I was scared that something would happen if I did. I do the same thing
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-14)
So this happened in a fully lit drug store? I do know sound travels and florescent lights can make strange noise. Honestly I think most of this is you not some spirit. You could be the cataylist. It's not something you realize you are doing so take no offense. Stress can activate this kind of thing so bear that in mind. I could be wrong to all of it and you are actually being haunted but my gut says it's you and fear that has gotten out of control. Stop giving this thought and you may be surprised how easily it goes away.
syriakid (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-13)
Thanks for your replies. DO you really think this could be some kind of demon?!
paranormalpest (4 stories) (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
Syriakid, as a former deputy, (cop) let me ask you a number of questions.
1. What tactics do humans use on each other to intimidate?
2. What or how does a terrorist get to the general public?
3. Think of the worst case scenerio that an human can do to another?

If you have been thinking, it's fear. These spirits have your number, they know how to push your buttons. Trust me I've been there. I too couldn't hang my legs over the bed, I was in fear of something touching me. Like the woman or adult who must over come sexuall abuse or rape, you must take control of your life, you must take it back. These beings will never let you live in peace and the more they haunt you, the more fear you will feel and they will live off that fear and grow stronger.

I bet you're terrified to be alone in your home, or you sleep with the lights on. Again I bet they turn off those lights, slam doors as you said, and try to get you to fall to pieces. If you lose touch with reality, you just opened a door in which they are welcomed. The mind is so delicate, so fragile, and I speak from someone who I dearly love who suffered from post-partum depression.

You've asked not for religious questions, so you need to treat them as hostile beings. You need to look at this as a home invasion and take control of your life. They will not stop coming, especially now that they know your weakness.
It won't matter if you move, leave the country, they will follow.

Is there something in your life you need to change, are you doing something that attracts these beings. I don't know, but don't give up. Read my story about the Capitol theatre, that might give you an idea.

P.S
Do you really think the Ouija board didn't work. If you're not an electrician, stay away from power lines.
If you're not a doctor, don't operate on a loved one.
If you're having paranormal experiences, stay away from these items that are centuries old, and are good for nothing but trouble.

Hope this helped you kid, let me know if I can be of help.

Paranormalpest
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-11)
Hi syriakid, First let me say that I'm sorry this is happening to you. Something is invading your life and making you very uncomfortable and scared to do little things as stick your foot out from the covers or look in a mirror. I don't think the ouija board had anything to do with it. It seems to me that something, most likely demon in nature has attached itself to you. I would suggest contacting a demonologist and have them come to your home. They will most likely know what it is and give you advice on how to get rid of it. I hope you find help soon, and keep us posted on any further activity. Thanks for posting. Take Care 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: