You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Adler Woman

Real Ghost Stories

Adler Woman

 

Since I could remember, I have dealt with the supernatural or paranormal in my life. I have, however, have had a fascination with both. I remember my little sister telling me how she saw a "witch" behind a curtain and she screamed for my mother to come in her room to check. At the time she was four years old, and she described her as her face being impressed in the fine silk curtain when she screamed, she said the "witch" made a fearful expression and vanished. My mother has had paranormal dealings with UFO's, and Ghost Shadow people (which I will mention later as it plays with my story). Ranting, I will move on.

My story begins in a town fallen in darkness. I will not give the location however. The town is in Upstate New York. Location; in the middle of now where with a population of about 500 or so people who live by working with the earth. In the 19th century, the town was booming and prosperous with everyone from the likes of the Vanderbilts and Oscar Wilde flocking there for peace and relaxation. What brought so many people to this town was the mineral springs and spas which were sulfur and magnesium. (Oh boy it smells foul there...). That was the popular attraction. Grand and elegant hotels sprung up around them, bringing more tourism and economy to the spa town; it was all to good to be true. It all had to end someway or another.

Way before this town even came to be. Before settlers came from the east, Native Americans (Iroquois) deemed the area as a sacred place as they buried there loved ones there (3 Native American burial grounds surround the area). In 1780, a great battle between the Colonial soldiers and native Americans ensued a mile outside the town limits. The natives lost terribly, and eventually gave the land to the settlers. This plays to my theory very well.

They town prospered, and by the early 1900's fell hard and not so beautifully. Hotels and businesses closed. They still stand but rot away as time goes by. Spa lay in ruin. People have left. And Tourism is down to none. It is what we call a Ghost town. Figurative... And also literally.

Some haunted places around the area are the Beekman mansion, which is believed to have been known to have haunted bloody footprints on the steps. It was owned by a judge or political figure at the time. An apartment building is believed to be haunted. The Columbia hotel is known to have its haunted elevators move on its own. And of course, the famous and now defunct Alder Hotel. That was the history, now The main point of my story.

The Adler is a grand 7 story hotel. It has a ballroom, a gym, a pool, suites, a dining hall, kitchen and a spa in the basement floor. Ever seen or read the Shining? As creepy and foreboding as that hotel in the movie. Smaller but it has the narrow, twisted hallways, the ballroom, the bar... (shivers.)

Anyway... famous celebrities have been there, even a mayor of NYC (Edward I Koch) used to be a bus boy there. It always interested me since living there for so many years. I finally got the courage to investigate, as I have already investigated numerous buildings in the area. The Adler was the only one not to be.

It was in the summer of 2008, and me and two friends decided to spice things up and explore the Adler. The first couple times we went in, nothing out of the ordinary happened.

But let me tell you; Being in there, is like being in another dimension. You step in there, the air is heavy. Dark, damp, and what bugged me the most was how quiet it was. So quiet you wouldn't even hear the echo of your footsteps in big empty rooms like the ball room. We had flashlights to make sure there wasn't some sort of mass blocking reverberation, but there wasn't anything. That I couldn't put my finger on...

By the fourth or fifth time we went in to investigate, it went the same really. But later on it got weirder.

Adler hotel

My friend began to tell me how someone in this hotel was shot in the attic and a bullet hole was still in the wall up there. We decided to go and find out. We climbed the steps, and it grew heavy up there. We finally reached the attic (what a pain it was to find it) and up there we found a hospital bed, and various junk. We looked at the wall and there was a Giant hole as if someone took it out on purpose. Who knows.

We went down stairs afterwards, and we came to the dining room. The dining room was full of tables that were blocking the doorway (they were already there) We had to go under them to get to the next room. We finally reached the lobby and that's when it all began.

My friend said stop. We listened, and we heard someone walking up the steps that we came. And the three of us were all accounted for. We got the hell out of there...

Weeks went by until I went in again (this time it was a different group of friends of about 6 people). I told another friend about the hotel, and he was interested into the paranormal as I was and told me his Ghost escapades in Long Island and was usually good at telling if a place was haunted or not. The six of us went there and as soon as we got in, he said "oh man, its haunted." We found several cold spots in the hallways (He pointed them out) and things went on normal. Soon it came to be not so.

We began to split up and were fooling around after awhile. I saw my friend Joe hiding behind a corner and ran down the other side and hid again. I went to investigate. He smacked me with his coat as a joke and ran away. I laughed, cussed and told him to come back. As he was walking down the hallway I saw something behind him...

There, a woman with a pale complexion, no eyes, blonde/white hair and the most devilish smile I have ever seen was right behind for a brief moment. I ignored it as it just being my imagination.

We continued and I would walk past the hallways and in the corner of my eye I would see "her" down them. Again I would ignore them.

Then I heard everyone in frantic conditions, mostly from this girl in our group who saw a woman in a mirror. That's when I knew I wasn't just seeing things. We felt more cold spots and that is when we finally left that dreaded place.

That night I felt drained and tired and fell asleep as soon as I got home.

A Day later my friend from Long Island told me how he felt when he got home and had the same thing. He said the ghost must have attached to him and said the same thing to me.

More things occurred at my home. I began to see shadow people in my house, but mostly in my room. One night, as I was drifting off to sleep when I heard a noise or creak and sensed someone standing over my bed watching me. I then saw a shadow on the wall that shouldn't have been there. The only thing illuminating my room was the soft glow of my alarm clock. It was the shadow of a human. I got my pillow and blanket and slept down in the living room.

A week or so went by, and my Mom brought up how she also saw shadow people in the hallways. I was actually quite thrilled because I thought it was just my imagination again. She went one to say it as Grandma was coming back to see us. I think it is something else.

I have some more thoughts to give. I would have endless conversations with my college friend Jim about Ghost's the spirit world and the spa town. He has gone on to say that because the town has natural springs, it is on a Nexus, which attracts spirits and ghosts to the area. To make things worse, the springs are Sulfur which is composed of negative energy and makes mean spirits. And since the town is surrounded by three native burial grounds doesn't help the paranormal activity either. The Spa town is basically a gate way for the other world.

I don't know what your thoughts will be about this story, but I would love some opinions. My ramblings were a bit much, but I felt like giving a background on the history as it plays on my theories about the Ghost activity there. But I hear it doesn't matter on this site, as many of you like to read the stories posted, so I must say enjoy it, and I hope maybe you can give me your thoughts, and comments! Thank you for reading!

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostbeingaculture, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

KweenKleokatra (1 posts)
 
1 year ago (2023-01-03)
Peaceful Greetings:

I know this is very late, but does anyone have any further information on this story? It'd be appreciated!
chiara6821 (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Wow I've stayed in the Adler Hotel once no wonder I saw a woman in white
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-28)
I live in upstate new York: sounds like you are describing the town of sharon springs quite accurately.
ghostbeingaculture (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-21)
Thank you everybody for your blessings! I am much obliged!:)
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-13)
sorry! I forgot to add in my other comment that I will for sure pray for you & yours for the unwanted creepies that have frightened you. Jesus bless you & good luck! ❤ ❤

~LSD~
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-13)
for saying you werent going to give a location you sure did give a lot of land marks & information. & I'm shocked that after hearing the foot steps on the stairs y'all were so quick to run & get out since you said you have some experience investigating. But still this story was awesome! Very well written you made everything so clear, I could envision what you were discribing. Great job & thanks for sharing 😆
esther91 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-03)
ghostbeingaculture,
Thank You for reading my post I was afraid no one would read it:). Anyway I tried to find some more information about the house but I couldn't mainly because I'm not sure how to go about researching it's harder too because the house is now torn down. I believe that the house was orginally built to be a home for the principal. (There was a school in the church) I tried to look up things about it online but they were all dead ends. All I really do know is that there was a man in the early 90's that died suddenly of a heart attack there. I'm not sure if it was the house or if it was my family. We seem to attract paranormal things.
Sorry for going on and on I thnk this is the longest comment that I have posted;).
Again I can't wait until your next story! Have a great day!
❤ Esther
ghostbeingaculture (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-01)
A Friend of mine told me (if I heard him correctly) that Water is an element and has much spirit energy attached to it. Especially something like a spring with abundant plant life, and good amount of wind. This place itself is a nexus with ley line energy because of that. What makes matters worse, however, is the fact that it is Sulfur. Sulfur is an odorous, and has much negative energy attached to it. That is why these spirit are so angry, and "wild".
KiwiSpirit (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-01)
hi again, sorry to use your story space as a message board but in reply to fatthead "Yes I enjoyed your story and I think paranormal activity is attracted to large bodies of water I don't why do you?"

A number of paranormal occurances have involved with or around water. I have a side theory that spirits can manifest and use water as a conduit for their energy so to speak. It is a proven fact that energy of the known kind (such as hydrogen cells storing radical energy) exsists. Even the conventional car battery holds energy in its water (acid) so it is not unreasonable to speculate that other forces outside of our understanding also use this method to manifest or draw/store energy. This could coincide with the power of 'holy water' which is highly charged wtih 'the Lords Spirit' and it's well known effect of being successful. Something for ghost hunters and investigators to think about and for scientists out there to start testing and documenting.

-ghostbeingaculture, this could be something for you to think about if/when you decide to investigate the spring caves you discovered. The atmosphere 'down there' will be quite unusual which is highly likely to yield some interesting findings, should you be open to the prospect of considering these theories and approach both spirtually and scientifically. And please be very careful (there's a good reason miners would take a canary bird down into the caves with them) Let people know where you are and have a rescue team on hand if you don't make contact etc.

Kiwi
fatthead (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-01)
Yes I enjoyed your story and I think paranormal activity is attracted to large bodies of water I don't why do you?
ghostbeingaculture (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
ZZSGranny,

Thank you for reading my story! I will be careful when I investigate further. However, I don't know when that will be. It might be in the spring. Again thanks for reading and I will post more experiences!:)
ghostbeingaculture (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
Kiwispirit,

Your not being demanding, its understandable. The ghost wore what appeared to be a gown (like a night gown) Everything about her was white, and you could make out her features (eyes, hair, mouth, etc...)

The reason why I ask what is down in those holes is this:

Behind the hotel is the Sulfur springs themselves. That basement floor; the sulfur spas. What I think is, those holes must be caverns or passageways down to the underground springs. I am curious to know what is down there as I want to find out myself.

Oh and its interesting to note that the town also had a video filmed there. Ever heard of I DRINK YOUR BLOOD?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
ghostbeing: we love long stories!...This sounds like a really cool place to visit... Just be very careful, and for the purpose of personal safety, don't go alone... Please post more soon!
KiwiSpirit (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
I'm sorry to have come across as so demanding, I guess it's my hunger for knowledge that sometimes leaves me with 'gaps'. What substance did the torso appirition seem to hold? Ie, tv static, mist,smokey. Also You have started to see shadow figures in your dwelling spaces from after these experiences, I understand your descriptions of unaccounted 'real' shadows in human form such as against a wall but have you experienced in a closer view of these 'figures'?
I ask these questions so we can start to distinguish greater detail into commonly experienced apparitions, because people such as yourself have varied yet similar accounts of such phenomenon.

Your description of the basement gives me the shivers just thinking about it. 'what could be down there?' well, anything from a lot of pests/vermon, dangerous conditions and probably various entities... Could be animals, homeless people? Just a consideration in general with a wide number of Ghost Hunts in abandoned buildings. (not implying skeptesism toward your story) :)

Thank you for your story again.

Kiwi
ghostbeingaculture (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
Sure, what do you want me to elaborate on?:)

The first time we went ghost hunting, we scampered because hearing footsteps climbing the stairs really scared me. We didn't see anything that time and even then we didn't run off right away. After that we thought we saw someone outside in a flashlight and thought it was the cops, which to me is worse then seeing a ghost...

The second time, was when I saw the woman. I was scared but at the same time excited to see a full torso apparition. I first thought it was my imagination, but like I said in the story, a friend saw her in the mirror of a bathroom, that right there proved it wasn't a figment of my mind. We stood around for some more even after that just looking around... The basement was the worst because the floors had no support! You would go down a hallway and it would look normal, all carpeted and such and then your foot would fall through! And this was in the basement... What could possibly be down below. This is another adventure of mine which might happen soon. It's still up in the air!

I apologize that their isn't enough information on certain parts. I felt as if I was writing too much of this story. There was so much going on that I could write a good 5 page story. I thought that would have been too much. SO please, feel free to ask me to elaborate more on certain parts as I don't mind the least!:)
KiwiSpirit (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
It sounds like the aparition you witnessed (and your companions) was an intelligent entity rather than a residual image, this would account for the feeling of being drained. It kind of annoys me how in peoples stories they explain how they went 'ghost hunting' and when something finally shows up - they scamper! Sorry... Not trying to pick on you because I know the fear and unusual feeling first hand of what it is like in those sitiuations (a bit like contestants on a gameshow - they say it's nothing like you'd imagine actually being there as opposed to viewing it on TV) It probably didn't help that you had a friend who was trying to scare you, but then again maybe the spirit noticed this intention and took advantage of that?
Interesting story and I hope you will put more up soon or even elaborate on this one.

Kiwi
ghostbeingaculture (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
The origins of this woman is unknown. I believe it to be one of the two who died in there. One was shot by someone in the attic. The other supposedly, someone hung themselves in the hotel rooms. I think he was the latter victim...

As of her coming to my home, no idea. It was a shadow figure so it could have been anything really.
ghostbeingaculture (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
By the way, the picture on the right (middle of story) is The Adler Hotel. The place where I saw the ghost. Feel free to ask me for some more pictures!:)
esther91 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
Thank you for sharing this story. I found it very interesting and now I'm very curious. I hope you share more stories very soon. Good luck with everything:)

❤ Esther
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
Thank you for sharing this experience with us. That area sounds like a fasinating place for investigations. Have you seen the blonde lady from the hotel in your home? Has your friend seen her in his home? In doing your research on the place were you ever able to determine who the lady was? I look forward to reading more of your experiences. God bless. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: