You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Kroonstad Hauntings

Real Ghost Stories

Kroonstad Hauntings

 

Good Day... The story I am about to tell you happened in one of South Africa's most haunted towns Kroonstad. The town is very popular for its antique buildings which dated back to 1855. During that time the Anglo Boer War was still going on. Now in this town you can experience a lot of hauntings, but the one which I would like to share with you happened on my uncle's farm in 2004.

We went to my uncle for a weekend to help him on the farm, I enjoyed it. Farming was very nice (at that time). On my uncle's farm he had Brumane Bulls, Jersey Cows and Marino Sheep. And then he had a huge corn field.

We arrived on the farm on Friday afternoon, so the following morning being Saturday I woke up early to get ready to go to the field. And as I was making myself down to the kitchen I saw from the corner of my eye a moving shadow. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. (All this happened at 4am. That's how early you have to be up on the farm) As I was sitting to drink my coffee again I saw that same shadow but this time it moved from the doorway towards the hallway. Being totally freaked out about this I called my mother. She came in and I told her and guess what... She told me I was dreaming... And I wasn't. When my uncle arrived in the kitchen and told me that we have to go I was really scared, being the first time to have seen these things.

As we went to the barn to milk the cows I saw someone walking into the barn with a bucket. I thought to myself to keep quiet about this maybe to my uncle will tell me I'm dreaming. As we entered the barn I started looking around for this person. But couldn't find him. Then I heard the clattering of a bucket as if it was kicked over, then a faint scream followed. Being totally freaked out about this I went to my uncle and told him the story; the shadow in the house and the person in the barn.

He then told me that I'm not dreaming and that this place is haunted ever since he can remember (he was born on the farm). He told me that in 1915 a young couple had this farm during the time of the war. While the lady's husband was fighting in the Anglo Boer War she was left at the farm with the maidens and workers. Then one morning she went to milk her cow in the barn and never returned to the house. She was shot dead by a British Soldier. Her husband came back from the war only to find out from the workers that the lady of the house never returned from the barn.

So until this day the shadow in the house is the man waiting for his wife to return from the barn with the milk. When my uncle told me the story I was feeling so sad that I almost cried.

Ever since that I never went to that farm again. Even today my uncle has that farm he calls it Farm de good hope.

Thank you for reading this story I hope that you find this story interesting.

Other hauntings by SuperHBK

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SuperHBK, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SuperHBK (6 stories) (63 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
Nordic... I have told the story as I saw the lady, and the husband, the information then following the story came from my uncle and not me, he told me what happened.

Take care

Hbk
Nordic (44 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
Hi SuperHBK, this is a very interesting story. Whilst I don't doubt the truth of the story, I do think that it is important that you get the historical facts correct. The Anglo-Boer War was fought between 1899-1902, making it impossible for the woman to be shot by a British soldier in 1915, which was when World War I was being fought. This also means that the Anglo-Boer War could not be "going on" in 1855.

Supposing then that her husband came back from the War in 1915, one must assume that it is World War I, which would also be a fallacy, as South Africa only entered the War in 1916. Being a part of the British Empire, South Africa joined the War on Britain's side.

With that said, I really enjoy your stories and I do believe that they are all true.

Take care
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-15)
God Blees those souls as well as all of those that sufer at the hands of war and brutality.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

God Bless!
SuperHBK (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-15)
Trix...yes the uniondale ghost still exist today and yes please do send me that photo I'm curios to see it... Send it via emal I'll be waiting for it
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-15)
Hi SuperHBK, no you're not cruel I respect the way you feel. There are many things we won't understand and we as humans will always try to figure it out. I can just put myself in that poor guys shoes thinking how it must feel searching for your wife for all these years and never find her or the truth. Maybe he don't even realise his dead. They might find peace someday when someone tells them that it's ok they can move on.
Though I don't really think that ghosts are bounded to time the way humans are. It's just sad the way they can repeat their own history in such a heartbreaking way over and over. I wonder sometimes if they suffer from doing that, or do they just keep on looking for answers.
I wonder if the Uniondale ghost still exists. I don't know what to suggest. You will know in your heart if you must do something or not. My grandfather told me that I must just pray for them and God will take over from there. I've got a photo I want to send you about a plot my family lived on sometime. There seems to be a ghost lady on the back ground. I would like your opinion sometime. Have a great day. Trix
😉 ❤
SuperHBK (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-15)
Trix... I know its going to sound cruel I suppose I can do that but its part of our history and besides if I do that they will never be at peace... Its like the ghost of uniondale... Perhaps you know about that story?

I will speak to my uncle and hear what does he have to say about this... Maybe there is something that we can do... Maybe to get a medium to communicate with the ghost to tell him that he's wife was killed in the barn and that he must look for her there and then find peace... Or what do you suggest?

HBK ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-15)
Hi SuperHBK, thanks for sharing this amazing but also very sad story. It's a very interesting story. It's sad that they are still there after all these years repeating the same thing over and over. It's sad, don't you think you can help them cross over. My grandfather had this ghost of a girlfriend he had appearing at his bedside every night since she died. He didn't even speak to her he just prayed for her and asked God to help her find peace, and to stop her suffering, for being so restless. He never saw her again. Thanks for sharing this story. And the Anglo Boer war left many haunting in SA, the history is very sad indeed. Trix ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: