You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Jeepney Ride

Real Ghost Stories

Jeepney Ride

 

It's funny when certain events in our lives occur and we blame it all to bad luck. What's funnier is the things that we do to counter the flow of bad energy that causes these so called bad luck or bad events. At least at that time I thought it was funny, until my friend shared her unlikely experience.

jeepney This story is about my friend and her scary jeepney ride going home. For those of you who don't know what jeepneys are, they are a popular means of public transportation in the Philippines. They were originally made from US military jeeps left over from World War II and are well known for their flamboyant decoration and crowded seating.

My friend went home late after finishing their school project, now since she lives within the vicinity of the U.P. Diliman campus (University of the Philippines) it was perfectly safe for her to take the jeepney instead of taking a taxi in going home during late hours. It was about midnight when she took the ride home, and she could not help but notice the driver kept glancing at her through his rear view mirror and then he would turn to her. (Now all jeepneys have their own route and do not take any turns and they have to stick to their route or else there is a big chance that they would run into some cop trouble). What's odd about this jeepney ride besides the eerie glances that the driver gave from time to time, he was also taking turns in corners that he was not suppose to. Afraid of what the drivers plans are, she was even more afraid of her surroundings because it seemed as if she was in the middle of nowhere already. So instead of going down, she just stayed on the jeep. On the last turn that the driver made, she noticed that they were back on the route that they were suppose to be in the first place.

Before reaching the end of the terminal, the driver turned to my friend and said, "Im sorry if I scared you or startled you! It was not my intention".. "Could you do me a favor and BURN all your clothes when you get home".. Wondering why my friend asked why he was acting very strange. The driver explained, "The reason why I kept glancing was because your head was not attached to your body when I looked through my rear view mirror." "That is why I changed my route awhile ago, hoping we could get away from the bad energy present in that area, and thats why I want you to BURN your clothes when you get home because I think its still with you."

Upon arriving home, still shaking from fear, my friend took all her clothes off and burned them as quickly as she could. A few days later she found out on the news that the jeepney driver died a day after the incident. It turned out the warning was not for her but for the driver.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

loveace (2 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-12)
This gives me goosebumps...
I am sad for the driver. He gives warning to girl hoping he could save her, but turns out he needed the warning for himself
😢 😢 😢
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-05-06)
Your friend must be everybody's friend because they told this story countless of times.
majarlika012 (12 stories) (122 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-26)
I've heard this story so many times already. You're a good writer but hopefully you could write a more realistic one. Not a product of your imagination:)
Sweettooth (2 stories) (22 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-05)
i heard this story too, but the thing is the girl did not ride a jeepney, she took a cab that time.
BlackMurderknot (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-26)
Very scary 😨 I'm almost shaking right now (literally). One of the best stories I've read so far... Poor jeepney driver 😢 you should thank him for his concern to your friend
Guido (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
This is an old Philippine legend.

And there's a 99.9% Chance that this "friend" of his who was involved in the story isn't the actual woman in the myth.

Lots of people here don't seem to get the story much so let me try to break it down for yall.

In the Philippines, there's a superstition where when you see yourself headless in a mirror or picture, your death is near. And the only way to avoid

In the original story, the Jeepney driver doesn't die. So I guess in this version, the 'headless' warning wasn't intended for the woman, but for the driver. Really sad.
hauntedhighways (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
there's a similar story here in america, willowbrook and justice Illinois which is south suburban Chicago to be precise. Its the story of resurrection Mary. As the story goes Mary used to frequent the willowbrook ballroom for dancing back in the early-mid 1930's. On her way home one night she was struck and killed by a car. Since then several cab drivers have reported picking up a woman either outside the willowbrook ballroom or near there. She gives her address to the driver the vanishes when the cab gets near resurrection cemetery which is where she's said to be buried. One time in the 40's or 50's a cabbie went to the address Mary had given. Her mother still lived there and when he told her what happened she told him Mary died in the 30's and was buried at resurrection cemetary. Mary was also said to hitchhike or to accept rides from gentleman at the willowbrook to take her home after dancing but the same thing, she'd disappear while passing the cemetery. I lived about five minutes from there in '02-'03 but I never saw her. I always wished I had.
daunsntein (4 stories) (17 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Oh, I heard this one several times and in other versions too. Now I'm wondering if this is the original story or it's just one of those versions? Actually this now is one of the most popular urban legends.
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-16)
I'm a bit late commenting on here, but WOW! What a great and creepy story.

Lakota73 😊
rebultomaker (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-14)
I was once part of the UP student council in Diliman and we had meetings at Vinzons Hall until ungodly hours of the night. It is not uncmmon for jeepney drivers to scare students with stories especially if the wanted to entertain themselves at night on their last trip of that day. But it is also common to hear them talk of some ghost passengers in late evenings especially a particular woman who always hails a jeepney in front of Benitez Hall (College of Education), boards it and disappears after a few meters or so.

What the stories don't say is whether she pays the fare everytime.
kamui (1 stories) (56 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-28)
Well going home late around UP Diliman campus vicinity all alone in a jeepney ride sure is scary, just asking, if the driver could have burn also his clothes, both of them won't die or surely one will die? Just curious...
tintin (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-08)
that was a scary experience! 😕
You better avoid going home late at night so you won't experience it again...
pencilandpaper (1 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-16)
wow that's scary... Maybe if I was the driver I would be scared with the passenger instead because the driver saw her with no head
lovebugs (3 stories) (31 posts)
+4
14 years ago (2010-09-17)
i already knew this story... I've already read this from one of the books of true philippine ghost stories... I love to read ghost stories that's why I'm already familiar with your stories:)) I'm looking for some unique expiriences:)) still I love to read your story...
KenMikaze (13 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-04)
Well, ycreme, I have this story I could share, however, this website is temporarily closed.

The passenger

More often than not, you can hear stories of unwanted passengers, of ghost suddenly appearing before you on the highways only to disappear when you barely escaped them; but let me share a story of a bus driver whom, I had a chance to be one of his passengers on his bus.

Along the coastal highway where it is situated on a ravine, a lone lady passenger waits and hail a bus plying to northern parts of our province at exactly midnight. There is nothing really remarkable with this lady, except that she's pretty (actually, beautiful is the most appropriate adjective to describe her) and quite a chatty person. To those who are awake during the journey, she seemed to bring life by her loquacious mien.

The driver and the conductor didn't mind her being a bit noisy, besides, they too enjoyed her company, but somewhat, they seemed to have some lingering thoughts about the lady. As I've said, there's nothing much remarkable with the lady, just that aside from being beautiful, however, her fashion sense is somewhat out of time. Her dress is like the dress worn from the sixties, but it didn't matter, people from our province doesn't really care much of the current fashion.

For the next hour or two, they travelled on the dark, unlit highway until the lady asked the driver to stop near the gates of a big mansion, this time, the driver was perplexed. There was no gate, nor was there a mansion, what he can see, however are two big trees on the side of the road, leading to a hill, nevertheless, he stopped the bus, had the conductor collect her fare, and waited until the lady crossed the street.

It was then that they noticed that that lady is the fabled ghost of an hacienda scion who died on the same ravine where they stopped before. It was on the seventies when this lady died after her car fell on the unlit highway, her, being the only passenger on that car and was supposed to be on her way back home after a night of partying. It was her way of penance to protect the bus drivers not to share the same fate by being conversant and by not letting them drowse during those lonely dark times.

What made this story true is that this happened to other drivers before and many told their share of the story, and on that particular night, I was seated on the front side of the bus, beside the driver when this beautiful lady disappeared right before our eyes. Good news for the driver and the conductor, at least the lady did pay her fare, only that she paid them with bills that were out of date.
ycekreme (3 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-09-04)
I've already read this exact story in True Philippine Ghost Story. Thanks for posting anyway.
TomTom (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
I did hear that if 'you' see a headless person, that means you're going to die, unless you are pinched, shoved, or anyway that can get your attention. My friend is very superstitious and is somewhat knowledgeable of these things.
killmeifyoucan_2430 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-06)
this story really creeps me and while reading this am in the office. I'm a call center agent and here in the office got a lot of creepy story too... If I have time will surely submit one story sometime...
kiezechxie (7 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-02-07)
sometimes things migth happen with no such reason and you find out the reason when you exactly appreaciate the fact that its already happen! As what you telling to us! Matthew! Your friend is really in disgusting experince its freak me huh? That's so nice scary story I ever read...
😁
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-14)
I am so sorry to hear about the man😭. BTW I think it may be the best thing to burn clothes😐. I have a friend from there so I'll ask her about it ❤
SapphireChild (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-14)
scary but it's true. In my perspective, burning your clothes = passing on the bad luck to some one else. Well it was supposed to be your friend but the closest next turned out to be the driver and now he's dead. What the malays (I am not a malay but m brought up as one) would do is when we reach home, announce our coming even if there's no response and if we carry an umbrella, knock 3 times outside the house before bringing it in. Then go straight to the bathroom and cleanse your face and ankles down. Do not loiter around the house before you do this. Most importantly, if there's a child or baby in the house, do not go near them until you have cleanse yourself. Cz maybe you came from a 'dirty' place and hence you need to 'clean' yourself. That's the theory and also for hygiene purpose.:)
RonYP (5 stories) (28 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-23)
i believe this is one of the scary urban legends we have here in the Philippines no offense meant though but your a good story teller. Two thumbs up for you.
lunarpanda (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
OMG! This is the creepiest entry I read so far coming from our country. I know I've heard of this somewhere a few years ago but, yeah, it's nice to know that you're next to the person who experienced it. 😨 ❤
Maiah13 (6 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-15)
Dont know if this Urban Legend is true, but I have another one to share... Also within the vicinity of UP Diliman. I am an alumna and one of my school friends told me this. You must have heard that some years back... In 1995, the Ozone disco close to the school burned down and claimed many lives due to the faulty emergency exit doors which trapped almost everyone inside. Anyway, my school friend has an uncle who drives a taxi cab plying that area, and he said he would avoid the area at nightfall. Apparently, a lot of ghost sightings have occured, and some of them have even flagged him posing as passengers and would disappear into thin air in the middle of the journey. Chills.
guiaeleinvelasco (3 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
i've read about this on TRUE PHILIPPINE GHOST STORIES book...haha...but you told the story quite good... 😆
rami3l (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
*i love the story*
Im kind of new in the site and I was amazed and inlove with the stories here.
I haven't experience anything paranormal in life and would be happy to remain it that way.

I respect the living and the dead especially the floating ones that still lingers here in our world.

***MAYbe the driver too didn't do anything when he got home.
Maybe he didn't burn his clothes too... That is why the negative energy lingers and got him instead.
muahh (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-02)
oh geez! Ultimate goosebumps lalat!
that's like a minute shiver moment for me! 😨
Lalat (2 stories) (38 posts)
+3
16 years ago (2008-05-01)
speaking of scary jeepney rides, I know of one, a friend told me. He said he had this uncle that drives one. Late one night when he was already heading home he didn't notice or felt anything. Until morning came when a couple of friends, who also drives jeepneys and passed him that night, asked him what he was doing riding with a girl so close to him and they were puzzeled as to why she was sitting on the left side of the driver, as to some who don't know, that's where the drivers door is. Really Creepy huh?
muahh (53 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-30)
I think I've heard that story like a thousand times already and it's been tagged as an urban legend... All told from a friend of a friend, cousin of my her sister's best friend's boyfriend etc...

It's refreshing to hear it from someone who actually knows the person who experienced it! And boy! Was that freaky! 😭

It's almost the same with yet another jeepney story I keep hearing... This guy stopped a jeepney on way home when he saw that it was already crowded, he decided to just cling on the door handle since it is getting late and just wait until somebody goes down so he can sit inside.

after a couple of minutes, the driver asked him why he was standing at the end of the jeepney instead of inside. The guy was about to say that the jeep was too crowded for him to fit when he realized there's nobody inside... 😨 😨

*shudder*
Vannarra (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Wow. *adds to favorites list*
That was incredible. It really is too bad about the driver. How did he die exactly? If it was decapitation that's WAY freaky.
❤ -Vannarra

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: