You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Growling and the Rosary Prayer

Real Ghost Stories

Growling and the Rosary Prayer

 

The story I am about to unfold occurred in November 2005. It was just a normal Friday night. As I had planned to meet friends the following evening, I spent the night at home watching T.V. and in general just relaxing. About midnight, I decided to go to bed. On this particular evening just my father and I were at home. Since he had gone to bed earlier it was my responsibility to turn off all the lights and lock up the house. On my way to bed, I passed the holy water font and blessed myself. This was a nightly habit and nothing out of the ordinary.

At this stage in the story I must point out that I am a practicing catholic. My religious beliefs play an important role in my day to day life. That said, I do not publicly show this. Put simply, it is between my savior Jesus Christ and me.

Soon I was tucked up in bed. As an avid reader, I was reaching out for a book to enjoy, when a little booklet of the Holy Rosary caught my eye. It is important to note that the week prior to this, I had kept hearing about the wonderful graces given by Our Blessed Lady for reciting the Rosary in her honor. Although claiming to be religious and well versed in such matters, the Rosary was one prayer that confused me as a child, well that and the fact that is was so long. For these reasons, it was never on my prayer agenda but for some unknown reason, I felt required to say it. As already stated, I did not know how to go about it correctly though.

So during Saturday evening mass I mentally said to Jesus "If you want me to say it just give me a sign!" All was forgotten until just after mass, when I was waiting on my Grandmother who was receiving confessions. Whilst waiting, I looked at some fresh flowers placed in front of an image of Our Lady when to my astonishment, a step by step guide on how to say the Rosary was resting beside it (having gone to this church for all of my 24 years I had never seen such a leaflet!). I took the guide home with me and that night said it in its entirety for all the holy souls in purgatory.

My good intentions soon diminished until that Friday night. Seeing the booklet and taking my rosary beads in hand, I started it again. At 4.45am I awoke to my doorbell continuously ringing. I had obviously fallen asleep whilst saying it. At my door, I found my older sister a little worse for wear. She had been out at her work Christmas party and in the merriment had mislaid her key. I let her in and helped her to bed, while she told me of all the office scandal. Not wanting to wake my father as she was a little loud, I informed her that she would have to fill me in on all the gossip the following morning. Now I found myself wide awake as I went back to my own room. I switched on my stereo to a low volume, switched off the light and climbed happily into what was earlier a warm bed.

I closed my eyes, plumped my pillow and pulled up my duvet to my neck in anticipation of a snug sleep. In the background, I could hear a song being played that was the cheesy hit of the previous summer. I was contemplating how come such a song would be so popular when all of a sudden I heard the most terrifying sound of my life. In the darkness of my room, about ten inches from my face, I heard the most terrible growling in my entire life. It was so loud that I was sure that at any moment my father and sister would run into my room. My eyes were clamped shut in fear and my heart beating out of my chest.

Although I did not see what was there, the image in my head was that of a snarling evil dog. I felt pure evil that night; this evil had descended upon my room and like the darkness was enveloping me. My immediate cry for help was to recite the Our Father aloud while blessing myself over and over again. I don't know when the growling stopped for sure. It was probably when I blessed myself. What I do know is that I got up and switched the light on as soon as possible and for the rest of that night, said prayers until I drifted to sleep with the light on.

I would like to say that there is no way I was dreaming when I heard this sound. I was completely awake and aware of my surroundings. Looking back, I feel it was the Devil that visited me that night. I believe that somehow this experience was related to me saying the Rosary. I believe that the rosary is a powerful prayer, one that the devil does not want us to use against him. This is only one supernatural experience of many that has occurred to me but it is one that I hope will give hope to others of the power and protection of God.

This is now my prayer before bed each night:

Saint Michael the Archangel,

defend us in battle.

Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.

May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;

and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -

by the Divine Power of God -

cast into hell, Satan and all the evil spirits,

who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Thank you for reading. Opinions on this would be much appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sarah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

tempestmoong (3 stories) (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-27)
Sarah I just have to say good for you. You did just as you should have.
And to Abby I am not a catholic But I am a christian and I just want you to know that there is no fear in my religion I have faith and my faith tells me that Jesus watches over me and I have no reason to fear man or beast or demon for he is with me. I guess I just think that before you pass judgement you should sit down and read HIS word.
captainchris (3 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
ST JOHN 8:12 I am the light of the world he that follows me shall no walk in darkness but shall have the light of life.
ST JOHN 14:13 what ever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the fathermay be glorified in the son
14 if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

God will look after you... Pray and bless yourself with holy water chris
texicana76 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
I definitely believe that any prayer, any communication and especially a relationship with God, can upset Satan. How terrifying!
Carlos (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
my email is clubatlrivplt [at] hotmail.com, ill send you an email, I consider it right, that you know mine.
Carlos (3 stories) (14 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-29)
Hello, tanks for eading my story, look, I am interested on talking you about my case, specifically the one on the beast on the road
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-21)
Hi Sarah,
I was always taught that the Rosary when said, is a weapon. I have a friend who was studying to be a Brother and he swears the first time he recited the Rosary he heard a scary voice in the room yelling "no, no!"
Scary stuff!

I see that you posted last summer but I hope that those things have stopped.

Jennifer ❤
tracy (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-02)
i need some ideas which would help me to get the first chapter done does any one know any?
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-14)
Hello Sarah,

I am always skeptical of those who choose not to participate in a discussion as they are usually the ones who are one post wonders and when asked questions about their experiences come up with some off the wall comments or comments that I am able to determine wouldn't fit the experience or are just too unbelievable. Hope I didn't offend you in any manner as that was not my intent. Glad I was able to bring a smile to your face though. Also I would like to welcome you to the site.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-14)
Hi, I would like to thank everyone for all their insightful comments. In response to people questioning the validity of my story due to the fact that I originally chose to read comments posted but not actually participate in the discussion, I would like to state the following. Sharing personal stories, can, at the best of times, be daunting but sharing stories of a ghostly experience leaves you open to a far higher level of scrutiny. This story is the first I have decided to share with others outside my close circle of family and friends. For this reason alone I did not participate.

I would also just like to clarify some points brought up. I felt it important to mention my religious beliefs within the context of the story as I believe it played some major part. What part? Well of that I’m still unsure. Could I also just say to Abbey that my belief system is not and has never been based on fear. Supernatural encounters happen to people from all walks of life and yes, having a Holy water font in ones home was a norm in Ireland pre 1990’s.Nowadays its generally older people who keep up with this tradition. To “idfcv” it’s a great comfort to know that other people have shared in a similar experience. I would love to hear your encounter when possible. Finally, I would like to thank the people who thought my story was, well, just that, a story! You brought a smile to my face. I wish I was that imaginative to create such a tale!:)
Please feel free to ask more questions .Thanks for your time.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-13)
Dear Sarah,

Is that a common practice in Ireland and the Catholic faith to have a holy water font in one's home? Just curious. I am from the United States, and have never seen one in anyone's home that are either or both Irish and/or Catholic. Come to think of it I didn't see them in some of the homes I visited in Europe either.

You have a right to your own belief system, and I respect this, as well as your story. It is a bit suspect that you have chosen not to participate, but then that is your choice.

I think that any belief system that is based on fear to control its followers will create followers who will draw to them what is also fear based or what humans call evil, the devil, demons and so forth.

I find it interesting that the more one believes in such fear based things the more they show up. I note that skeptics don't seem to have such problems, and without true knowledge, I venture to doubt that athesists are constantly being harrassed by demons. Perhaps there should be a study to see what group is more susceptible to such harrassment. Just a thought.

Well, I am not closed to try anything to get rid of an unwanted guest, whether alive, dead or a demon.

Blessings, Abby
idfcv (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-13)
First of all, I'd like to say that something similar to this happened to me several years ago and I am a Catholic as well, which I will put up at a later date. Secondly, I'd like to just make the comment that a priest I knew said: "If you think the Devil will be [at the worst street] then you're wrong. The Devil's not there because that's his backyard. He already has control of people there. No, he will be in the churches so that he can recruit the 'good' people..." I have to say, from my own experience, the Devil and his Demons really do exist. So does the Virgin Mary and God.
Jmartin121 (2 stories) (25 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-12)
Me, and many other people of catholic faith, like Sorcha said, believe murderers, etc. Are already lost. It is up to them to put their life back together, but the devil is trying to destroy all that is good and make life hell. Thankfully, it has not worked and I feel everything in this story is true and very believable.
tracy (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-11)
i think that writing a scary story is one thing that people might experince and most people are right about what they are saying. I think that you are rightAstral 184 keep people right on things that you say.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-10)
True, that some lower level entities may choose to attack someone of faith, but when the persons faith is as strong as this young ladies and her families it doesn't make any sense. Myself on the other hand, since I am on a spiritual journey of sorts would and have been a target for these entities.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
ANGELT7 (5 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-10)
Really feelin this prayer. Use psalm 23 to help you out as well. I hope you continue to grow stronger in the holy ghost.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-10)
I've read a few times on this site that "evil entities" wouldn't attack people of a high degree of spiritual development, that they target bad people, etc. I'm not so sure about that. I think there's a lot of spiritual/religious literature where low level entities (demons, etc) go after holy people for some time, as if to test their spiritual growth or try to negate it, because in the grand scheme of things, they are threatened by it.
BaD (4 stories) (54 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-09)
I agree with Shane on the matter of it's just a story, a well written one none the less.
But even so, I would think something like that, something PURE evil would never find itself in such a holy home, my opinion of course.
But if it was a valid, I wounder what you would have seen. But, I still don't think you did, like Shane said I think by not participating, a lot of the time, you just want to avoid questions.
Sorcha (59 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-09)
Hiya Shane Thanks for the Welcome! =) It is really nice to be here!
I just wanted to add a point. A lot of Catholics believe that crack addicts and murderers are already lost. That is why the "Devil" targets people of faith.
xx
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-09)
First let me welcome Astral184 and Sorcha to the site. Always great to have new opinions being added. Sarah, well told story, but in my opinion it is just that, a story. People often say they believe what they experienced to be the devil, I think that if the devil truely existed he would be going after an easier target, such as someone who doesn't have a faith in the Divine such as yourself. Say a crack addict, or a murderer, not a devout member of a church who has a holy water font in their home. I also find it harder to believe stories where the authors choose not to participate in the discussion as it usually means it is either a one post wonder or the author doesn't want to try and answer questions that usually follow. Should you choose to participate that would be great. Just my honest opinion.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Astral184 (1 stories) (53 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-09)
HI Sara; I am Catholic and I can tell you, the
'evil' one did not like yousaying the Rosary, it
is the 'scourge of the devil' I say the St.Micheal
prayer everyday, powerful it is, bless your room
w/ holy water too,regards.
Peteys_granny (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-09)
Simplicity and straightforward honesty make this a powerful story. Sarah, your words reflect a loving and reverent spirit. Thank you for sharing.
Sorcha (59 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-06-08)
Hi Sarah, (I am from Ireland too ;)) Although I have not had as terrifying experience such as that I do find repeating comforting words such as a prayer or a saying or thoughts of love to help when feeling fear. Oftentimes I wake up in the wee hours and I am terrified for no reason, perhaps its just my imagination but I do repeat words of love and I feel better. Thank you for your story!
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-08)
You write very well, sarah. There's an educated and mature quality to your story. As for helping with your experience, I can only offer you my screams of terror ;) I was raised (moderately) catholic, although I consider myself spiritually independent now, but stories like this do strike a nerve.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: