You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Tom, My Brave Cat

Real Ghost Stories

Tom, My Brave Cat

 

I had seen him roaming the neighbourhood, a big grey cat with green eyes. One day he showed up at my doorstep following my own cat, Poem; he was scruffy, skinny and hungry. The kids fed him and after that he wouldn't go away. My husband checked the new cat's behind and said it was a big tom, hence we began calling him Tom.

Later, I learned he was a Russian Blue cat, that for some reason my neighbours didn't take along when they moved away; and true to his breed he was shy around strangers and took a long time and many scratches and bites to all the members of my family for him to finally get comfortable around us.

One day I was laying on the couch and Tom jumped to my abdomen and laid on me resting his head on my chest. He began purring and let me caress his back without biting or scratching my hand. And from that moment he decided I was HIS human. After some TLC and a constant supply of food he became a very handsome guy who liked to follow me around the house and sleep by my feet during the nights.

Sometime later another stray cat came to the house and we adopted him. It was another male and we called him White Socks. From the beginning Tom made it clear who was boss.

There are so many things that made my Tom special. The way we used to play pick-a-boo, and he would "hunt" the kitchen rag when I cleaned the table. And I will never forget the happy look on his face when running down the driveway to meet me after going for a walk. He would rub against the vacuum cleaner when I was using it to make me stop my work and vacuum his shiny grey-silvery fur. He developed a chubby and flabby belly that would swing at every step.

We always put away the cat food and let the cats eat three to four times a day, and every morning at around 5:00, Tom would climb on my bed and sit close to my face. If I didn't wake up, he would touch my cheek gently with his paw to let me know it was time to get up and feed them. And if my husband was still in bed, Tom would jump between our bodies and run out of the room after walking me up.

But Tom had a problem. He thought he was tough and strong, and was not afraid to go after the neighbour's dogs, a German Shepherd and a Rottweiler, making them run.

We live at the bottom of a hill covered by a forest, and sometimes wild animals come down to the neighbourhood: deer, raccoons, moose, coyotes and bears.

One warm summer night in August 2011, the three cats managed to get out of the house. It is not normal to let them stay outside but during the summer is very hard to keep them indoors and we had never had a problem. Until this particular morning of August 20th.

I got up in the morning to open the door for the cats, Poem and White Socks were waiting on the deck, but Tom wasn't there. I called him but he didn't come, not even after my son shook a bag of kitty treats. It didn't look right, so I went looking for him around the house. And I found him on the back yard, dead and missing not only his flabby belly but all of his entrails too. I cried and caressed his head and what was left of his body, and still cry every time I remember the sad last time I saw him. We buried him under a flower bed on the garden.

No need to say I had a terrible time, but something happened two days after he died. It was around five in the morning and I was still in bed, half asleep, and heard the sound of a cat running on the hallway and coming into my room to jump on my bed, three times along my left side and then over my body to sit at my right close to my head. I rolled over expecting to see one of the other cats, surprised that one of them was acting like Tom, but there was nothing there... Nada... And the door was still closed!

I discarded it like just a wishful thought and went back to sleep. A few days later I got up to the bathroom on the middle of the night, and when I was ready to lay my head on the pillow I smelled Tom's aroma. I couldn't believe my nose and began sniffing the pillow, the blanket, the mattress and my husband's face looking for the possible source of the aroma, but aware that this time I was wide awake.

Another day while napping, I felt a cat curling up by my feet and I opened my eyes just to find nothing there. And two more times I smelled Tom's aroma in the living room close to the couch and the entertainment centre. Those were some of his favourite spots to sleep.

I thought something was wrong with my head, but I knew it was not my imagination playing tricks with my heart, and began checking on Google for possible information about this experiences, and that's how I found this site. Reading the stories of other people whose pets came to say good-bye made me feel better.

So one day I told my children about Tom's visits and my son looked surprised and said "Mama, on three different days I was sitting on the couch and heard a cat purring, but none of the cats were around."

And then, one day I found one of Tom's long charcoal whiskers tangled on the living room carpet, perhaps it was only a proof of how bad a housekeeper I am, but that day was the third month of his passing and to me it looked like a sign that he is always with me.

I didn't think my story would be this long!

I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Other hauntings by lady-glow

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lady-glow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Serenflipppity (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-02)
My second tom disappeared three years ago. He was extremely skittish around humans who were not his humans (mom and me) and he was also fiercely territorial and showed no signs of cowardice when it came to facing off against another tom. He made this perculiar sound I'd never heard any cat make before - they all sound unique. It sounded something like Yolly yolly yolly. Mom and I would nearly piddle our pants on hearing it. I do believe he came back every once in a while because I'd hear that yolly yolly yolly as though it came from the front porch but when I checked, no sign of any cat anywhere. I always thought he'd found his way home again somehow. To this day his disappearance is a mystery to mom and me because he never wandered off the property.
CoolGhost2016 (2 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-01)
Sorry for your loss, but it's cool that he's still around. 😊 Thx for sharing.
This is going in my favs ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-07-09)
Tweed & Ashar: thanks for reading and commenting on my story.

As sad as this experience was, and still is, for me, I'm glad it helped me to find this site which I enjoy so much.

Loosing a pet sucks! 😢
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-07-07)
Hi Lady Glow,

I read this about a year ago after my cat passed and, well, I was too emotional to comment then. Yours and Tom's bond really took my breath away and still does. ❤ I read your Rainbow Bridge experiences too and it's truly remarkable what our pets can do. These kinds of experiences always leave me pretty lost for words, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing these wonderful encounters.

(Also thanks Ashar for reminding me!)
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-07)
I love the stories of this type. Really pets are lovely. Even these creatures possess feelings as we do.

Thanks for sharing! 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-24)
roylynx: thanks for reading and commenting on my story...I'm sorry for your loss of Aurora. I'm sure she is still around not only looking after her baby, but after the members of her "two legged" family and is aware of your love for Henrique.

Over the years, Tom's visits have become less frequent and are mostly dreams, occasionally I have felt the movement of the blankets by my feet; I do not know if is only the blanket folding falling under its own weight or if it's Tom crawling on the bed. I always say "Is that you Tom? I love you!" -just in case it's him.
I guess he knows the more difficult times are over...

If you like, you could read my story "My visitor from rainbow bridge", it is the second part of this experience.
roylynx (guest)
+3
8 years ago (2016-04-24)
I had to comment on this old story that you wrote madam, this reminded me of a female Turkish Angora (Turkish odd-eyed Cat), Aurora. Not a ghostly experience but she was brave and fearless too, but she died lying "flat" under a dump truck for days before my family found her. Now I have her kitty, a black fluffy cat, and he has a pair of beautiful eyes too just like Aurora's, his name is Henrique, which means king of the house lol. Sorry for the unnecessary information.
Does Tom come over and see you nowadays? This story really made me want cry and I am hugging Henrique right now apologizing on what had happened to his mother.

Greatest respects and blessings from São Paulo

E.Lynx
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-06-24)
good-ghosts: it is hard not to take your comment personal when my user name is in it.

I do not intend to start a pointless argument, but I think it is important to clarify that I never intended to make fun of you while trying to replicate the... The ritual where you:
"... Make a circle on the floor with wheat or any flour, keep an oil lamp in the center, cover it with something and just leave it there for the night."

That's exactly what I did, and I explained what I saw, one of my cats walking over the towel covering the flour.
My point is, even if "... All people respect the dead, so I don't think anybody will get up to make those images at night and pretend innocent in the morning..."
How could you be sure that the images on the flour were not made by the subtle touch of the wings of moths attracted to the light during the night? Or perhaps by ants or a mouse looking for a scrap of food under whatever you used to cover the circle of flour?

As for my comments that, according to you are:
"... Stupid and insensitive comments from posters like lady-glow, who not only insult others but also disrespect their religion and rituals..."

Well, just look at my karma points, it surprises me that even with my broken English and my not so profound knowledge of the paranormal my input has taken me that far, and I wouldn't have lasted this long in the site by being rude, disrespectful and intolerant towards the other members of YGS.

You have been in the site long enough to see one or two posters banished after acting rude and disrespectful, haven't you?

So, let's move one.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
Valkricry:
Thanks...yes, he has come to visit a few times, I will post a story about it ASAP.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-29)
lady_glow,
Rambling around I stumbled on your story, and I'm glad I did. What an awful way to have lost your cat! I could just cry. I know... I know nature's way in all probability but still... 😢 The way he touches your face to wake you up reminds me of my cat, Kirby. Do you still get visits from him.

Darkassassin: You shouldn't be calling anyone names, it just makes you look immature. I guess your remark and what-ever proceeded it was deleted because I don't see it. But take the high road and always be polite - the ruder the other is, the politer you are. It will drive them crazy. 😉
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-29)
Sorry for posting this off topic just wanted to say I did not call you that name I was talking to the other person
Aishling (1 stories) (35 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
Awh this story made me cry! So sorry you had to find your cat like that 😢 I had a cat when I was younger called Lou and one day she went round me, my mum and my mums husband (who she would never usually go anywhere near) and sat in all our laps for a little while. A short time after that she went off and never came back. A cat I had after that called Mini, got hit by a car right outside our house. I was so devastated he was my little baby. I was sitting on the bottom of my bed one day after this happened, don't think it was too long after it happened not more than a couple of months and I felt a pressure next to me on the bed like something had jumped up. It was the spot Mini always used to sleep in. I hope it was him and not just my imagination. Your story made me more hopeful that it was him 😊
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-17)
I felt very close to my partner's grandfather. He was a wonderful intelligent soft-spoken man who hardly got two words in edge-wise, because his wife is a bit of a chatter box. Rather than act upset by her near constant interruptions, he seemed to genuinely adore her, and would gallantly surrender. He also had an orange long-haired 10 year old kitty that he loved and pampered as he did his wife. I also liked this cat, because I respected that he was a one person pet.
Grandpa had a hard time, and was gradually losing the use of his lungs. One day orange cat died at home on Grandpa's bed where he had slept at his feet. Grandma didn't have the heart to tell Grandpa, because it was getting painfully obvious he wasn't going to pull through this time. The very next day he died.
I wonder when he finally let go of this existance if his cat was there curled at the foot of that dreary hospital bed, waiting for him, letting him know it was all right.
I miss him. The Holidays are the worst. His chair sits there empty. I wish I could have known him better. A good man. A gentle man.
JosephC (1 stories) (9 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-17)
This is a wonderful story. It's always sad when we lose an animal, they really are family members. But it's nice when they come back to let us know that they appreciated that we gave them a home and a helping hand.

Having recently lost my best friend, a very affectionate and sweet black cat named Merlin, I know what it's like. But at least we have confirmation that they are not really gone, just existing on another plane in their true spirit forms.

Thanks for sharing.
ghosts_of_me2012 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-16)
i had to put my tom cat down a few months ago because of a blood-clot problem. I loved him dearly and he was my baby I even called him 'Son'. Anyway, several times since he passed I have felt him curled up on my pillow with his tail tickling my face (something he always did) and even woke up because I heard him purring. It's always bitter sweet because it's almost like he's alive again- then I remember he's not and all the saddness hits again! But I enjoy feeling like he's still with me in spirit! <3
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Thank you all for your comments, all of them are very comforting and welcome.

I still miss my cat, but know the seven years he was in my life will stay with me forever, like all of you pet owners must know.

Miracles
Thank you for editing my story, I see you didn't have to do too many changes. I was worried that, been English my second language, there could be a lot of mistakes in it.
GACfan101 (11 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Thats a wonderful, but sad story. I remember I had my very first cat who was an outside cat but always came to me when I needed him, he died on our porch. A few years later I had another cat who was an inside/outside cat and he would come everytime I called him but one night he didn't come and I knew that something was wrong, I was young and it was late out so I couldn't go and look for him, so I just mumbled to myself, "please come home Nemo" the next morning my mom found him under the porch (directly under where my last cat, Buddy, was found at) her and my dad buried him in the backyard that night. Later when I was home alone I went to his grave to mourn and I could have sworn I heard him meow which kind of shocked and comforted me at the same time. Now I have a cat a little over a year old named Tommy so you can see why the title caught my interest. Sorry this was long but just trying to make a connection, it was a wonderful story and I'm glad you have the heart to take in homeless cats no matter how mean they may be, you have a heart like no other 😊 take care, and may our loving cats rest in peace!
stephyw2001 (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Leave it to a cat story to draw me back. (Hi y'all!). I'm so sorry for your loss. I would be absolutely horrified if I found my cat that way. (Which is why she's only allowed outside under supervision). A Russian Blue? That's an interesting breed to find wandering around. Sad someone would leave him behind. 😢 I'm happy for the time you had with your cat, and I'm glad you have signs of him still around. Hopefully it will give you the comfort you need for you both to move on. Thank you for sharing.
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Oh I so loved this story! Tom obviously loved you and what you did for him so he comes to just let you know hes with you still.

Funny but this reminds me of a story of one of our dogs which I'll have to post very shortly 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
lady-glow: A very touching story, I'm sorry for your loss of Tom he seemed like a very great and loving companion, it was very kind of you to take him in to your home, I'm sure he did and still appreciates what you have done for him. I have no doubt whatsoever that he continued to visit you since his passing, a truly wonderfull thing indeed. All the best to you. 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Alphawestfall1300 (5 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
I love cats, I have 5 of them. Tears threatened to spill when I read your story. It's so painful to lose pets and once you have a pet, be ready for the emotions that it will bring you: smiles and tears. I don't have a similar story however I miss my cat when she died 2 years ago, her name is Pacquiao (like the boxer haha), and her kitties died inside her bec she has a disease. The vet said after the operation, that it was too late for her so she died. She didn't make her presence though and now that we have another female cat named Husky. In the last few days, she was not feeling well, it seems like her tummy is aching (pregnant) and we had the same fear that she'll end up like Pacquiao. But 2 days ago, she gave birth suddenly, the kitties were dead. Even though the babies died, I'm still relieved she was already well and had that mischievous look in her eyes again. I believe God helped her and somehow thought of Pacquiao too. I don't know, just crazy thinking, she might have helped her too.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Cats seem to possess a spirit. I personally know of three instances of cat ghosts hanging around or following owners. In one recent case, the ghost of a cat haunted my house and was seen often by many - to include myself.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
lady-glow, your Tom was a regular cat with the heart of a lion. He was definitely the king of the castle. I am so sorry for the horrible way you found him. It breaks my heart to think about it, so I can't even imagine what you went through. I am a firm believer that pets can come back to say good-bye and visit from time to time. He is still looking out for his human. 😊 I wish I could have pets. I love animals, but am very allergic to anything that sheds.
Thank you for sharing this with us. ❤
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
lady-glow -
Thanks so much for sharing your story. How wonderful for you that Tom stays with you, his human. Cherish every minute with Tom! ❤
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Aw I love this story its so sad but so sweet! I had a cat like Tom, her name was Jelly hah. But she was sweet just like Tom and she actually would give hugs. I swear. But it always hurts when they leave us. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I certainly believe he came back to let you know he's in a better place and he will always be with you. Thanks for sharing:)
cooper28 (2 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
aww what a lovely story! I wish my cat would come to visit me! He sounds exactly the same, grey, the green eyes and the belly side to side! And the way he woke you. Mine would always be in bed with me and wake me up for food!
I had him 14 years and I miss him soo bad, your story made me smile Thankyou xxx
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Aw Shucks Lady! I'm a sucker for 'kitty' stories!
I love cats! I have looked after many in my time. NB: I never claimed to own one, as one does not 'own' a cat; they own you!
I refuse to have a cat anymore. The heartbreak at losing my Smokie, at the age of 18 1/2 was just too much. It was like losing a child!
I can definitely empathise with you on that one. How lovely, to still sense Tom around. I hope he brings you comfort for a long time to come.
Thank you so much for sharing. ❤
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
This is such a lovely story! I know how sad it is to lose a pet, and I love the way he keeps visiting you after he passed, you are very lucky to have such a strong love from your passed on tom ❤
minimom (50 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
What a sweet story!

We have a herd of cats and dogs, I know I would be devastated if anything happened to any of them. Your story just goes to show how strong the bond is between us and the animals we love.
SnoWQueeN (5 stories) (100 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Awww...How lovely that was the way he wakes you. Sorry for your loss. Didn't you 'see' him yet except feeling and hearing? Your story makes me to get a cat now. This is going to my favorites!

~Nikky

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: