You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Am I Being Followed By A Spirit Or Two?

Real Ghost Stories

Am I Being Followed By A Spirit Or Two?

 

There's always been a lot. I mean, looking back on it I guess I've always been a little out there. Things have always happened to me and I never really knew why.

When I was 4, I moved from Virginia to Florida and I barely remember things from Virginia but I remember seeing this man. It was Christmas morning, not too early and I checked everyone's room to make sure that they were asleep and then I ran down the stairs. The way our house was set up when you came down the stairs the front door was immediately to your left and straight across the hall was another room. From my place on the stairs, I could see the figure of a man. Dressed like Santa, the red and white so clear and I freaked, knowing everyone else was asleep. I ran partially up the stairs and I sat there pondering what to do. A minute or so later I come down and the man is gone. Without a trace. I was young so I didn't put much thought into it.

When we moved to Florida I hated it. I never fit in because we live more in the South so I looked different because of my eyes, skin, and hair. When I was around 2nd grade I'd always hear people calling my name, but when I'd ask people would look at me like I'm crazy or they'd say that they had never even spoke at all. It happened for a long time and occasionally does now. I've also always had a lot of deja vu throughout the years.

When I was about 6, we lived with my grandmother in her house and one day I had this weird idea. I used to climb up the stairs like most kids and I'd never thought of it but one time I got the idea that I should try climbing DOWN the stairs. The way I fell is my back hit the rug at the bottom and my head smacked the tile. Through the times we moved in and out of her house, I've become less and less at ease because of seeing figures and the feeling of being watched.

One night most of the family was out and I had clearly seen a figure with a top hat walk right past my door. Footsteps and all but when I investigated there was no way he could have gone anywhere walking in the direction he went. The thing that scares me the most is I normally see him in the general vicinity of the stairs that I fell from and he always gives me a bad feeling of being uncomfortable. I don't normally get uncomfortable when I see other figures and such.

The only other main thing that happened to me was when my mum wanted to buy this house somewhere in Pembroke. She had the perfect job and was ready to buy the house. I didn't like the house, AT ALL. It was situated in a cul de sac and was right next to a lake. The whole time we went to visit the house, I could not stay alone. I'd feel like if someone was watching me or following me, even if there was no windows or doors open and I was alone. The weird thing was that it was only inside of the house, as soon as I'd step outside I would feel calm again. My mum had lost her job later that year and we could not afford the house any longer. Upon talking to my grandmother later she confessed to me that she, as well, had the same feeling I did in the house.

Now we live in an apartment that I quite like. Sometimes I feel like I'm being watched from my doorway and I can't actually be in my room at times. I do occasionally see figures walking down the hallway from my bedroom to the front door (it's one LONG hallway the stretches from our roommates room to the front door) when there is no one home. I have a friend that hates being in my room (mainly my room) alone because she feels like she's being watched.

What I wonder is if I'm being followed by a spirit or two? The one is my grandmothers house is different from the one I see at our apartment at this moment. I feel they are both men but the one at my grandmother's house wears a top hat and I feel more frightened around him than I do around the one at our apartment.

My mum told me it's because I talk out loud a lot. It's a nightly ritual for me to speak out loud to release stress. She says I may have attracted spirits with it. Is that what has happened? Is it something else? Can you help me figure this out?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, OrangeTangerine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
OrangeTangerine - No offense taken 😊. We're all here for the same reason, trying to figure it out. When my daughter was seeing her shadow man, I didn't have anyone to talk to about this. Sites like this one didn't exist, or at least weren't as public as they are now. If I can help someone, even if it's just by listening, then it makes me feel good.

I do agree with you about the negative feelings bringing him out. Fear, anger, hatred... Any negativity can bring a bad spirit. I'm not going to bs you and tell you life is great and you shouldn't have crappy feelings. It's life and sometimes it just freakin' sucks. But...it's how we handle it that matters. So, try the good thoughts and see if it works. I hope so, I really do. I'll be thinking about you.😊
OrangeTangerine (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
Miracles51031- It could be, I guess, that I expect him to be there. I don't mean to sound defensive, honestly, but when I see him I don't tend to expect it. The feeling of being watched and being very scared I can see what you mean but not typically with seeing the actual figure itself. I also wonder that (and it's just a thought) if every time I see him I've always been in a nasty mood has anything to do with it. I've heard that spirits are attracted by feelings. For example when I saw him walk past my door I had been in a terrible fight with a friend of mine that had torn our friendship apart. Other times I was called downstairs by people I was very unhappy with our I was just in a pissy mood.

I will be sure to try to imagine good memories next time I go to my grandparents house. Just in that general area of her house and I'll try to stay calm and happy. I admit I am very klutzy so I don't doubt that most of my 'almost falls' were missteps. It just seemed like something I could possibly mention.

Thank you for all the help.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
OrangeTangerine - I'm glad things are better with you now. Just a thought here, and I could be completely wrong (I've been known to be before 😆), but I wonder if because you know the shadow man has always been there, if subconsciously you are always expecting him to be there? Even if he isn't. Maybe you're creeping yourself out because you keep expecting to see him and that is causing the feelings you have. Like I said, just a thought 😉.

And sometimes klutziness is simply...klutziness. It can also be your fear and apprehension causing you to miss your step.

Have you tried visualizing the stairs in a different way when you are going up or down them? Just a thought that occurred to me when I was typing. Maybe someplace you go that has stairs that have a happy memory. Try visualizing that memory each time you travel these stairs. I know it might sound like it won't work, but then again... It just might. Positive thoughts 😉
OrangeTangerine (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
Emotionally now I'm better. Things at home and school have straightened out and I don't actually see him anymore but when we visit my grandmother's house I can't walk bear the stairs without being on edge. I've almost fallen down the stairs many times throughout the visits. I don't know if that means anything other than I'm just a klutz. I always sense him around the stair area so...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
OrangeTangerine - I think all of the stuff you listed could definitely be counted as "emotional trauma" and might be what drew him to you. Like I said, I'm still trying to figure it all out.

How are you now, emotionally? Are you still cutting yourself? Or have things straightened out some? I know these are personal questions and I apologize, but sometimes that's the only way to figure out what is going on.
OrangeTangerine (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
Thank you guys so much! I was out for a while so I didn't get to answer as fast. For Miracles51031 I didn't have a death around that time. We moved in and out of my grandmothers house many times but when I really got the feeling and stuff I was about 11 or 12 and dealing with so much crazy stuff. I started cutting, problems at school, problems at home and it was a nasty time. Could that be it?

Kelseyoakes I actually wanted to try that but haven't had time to be home alone yet. I will be sure to do that soon though.

I'm still pretty new to the site so I hope you guys see this and can maybe help more if it's no trouble.
YellowRose (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
Orange: I too have had an experience early christmas morning. I didn't see a person, but I went across the top landing to the toilet and saw glowing green footprints on the stairs, as if someone had walked down the stairs. This scared me too & I didn't mention it for years until my mum mentioned she saw the same thing the year after. To this day we don't know who or what this was.
I too believe that its not due to you speaking out loud, but I hope you figure out who they are. If you feel comfortable and protect yourself (I tend to imagine a white light building up my body, from my feet to the top of my head, then surrounding me) try asking for some answers.

Kind Wishes - YellowRose 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-15)
Hi Orange, I don't think that talking aloud to ourselves would attract spirits. But I sure believe that you have special gift to be sensitive to spirits, paranormal. I don't think that there is only one spirit involved. Earlier when you said that you were afraid in your previous home, the feeling of being watched by someone, who you feel is harmful, is totally different from the present one. I think it is not a harmful spirit. Thanks for sharing your story. Keep your antenna for more sensitive paranormal experience and share it with us.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Hi OrangeTangerine, If speaking out loud to yourself brought spirits, then a whole lot of us would be haunted BIG time! Me included! I often talk to myself. One time, my husband asked me why I talk to myself - my answer was:- At least I get inteligent answers!
You sound gifted, being able to see spirits, but it certainly doesn't sound like you 'invited' them.
HaunteR007 (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
You seem to have the amazing ability to see spirits.
It hasnt tried to harm you so far, has it?
So I guess its just a harmless being.
dayala_819 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Okay, your story is creepy.😨 But, as creepy as it sounds my story is not so different from yours. Except I don't see spirits. But I do feel watched 24/7 and things turn on and off inexplicably. I've been touched before though. And I only saw a shadow figure one time. And just like you I have no idea what's going on with me, that's why I joined this site to read other stories and see if I can't get some sort of answer.

But I do think that you may have some sort of gift. And I agree with Miracles51031, I don't think that talking out loud is the problem.
kelseyoakes (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Maybe you could try speaking to them? Get your cell phone or voice recorder and sit in your room when no one else is in the house and see what you get. Update us with anything:) if you have any paranormal pictures, can you email them to koakes [at] preston.ac.uk? I'd love to see them!
maneater12 (15 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
i find it interesting have you ever thought that there is something holding them both back or maybe they sre the same man in your first story I read about the santa know that is just weird are you sure it wasn't a robber dressed as santa just kidding but really that is really weird and if it is a robber you may want to look that up to be sure it wasn't a other possibility is a man was delivering presents to his son on christmas fell down the chimney and died or it was really santa just kidding again so yeah get those looked at is my advice
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
OrangeTangerine - first, I don't think that talking out loud is what has caused your experiences. I believe you, like many others, simply are gifted with the ability to see spirits.

The shadow man you see in the top hat is something that has become a topic of conversation many times on this site. One we've yet to figure out, to be honest. Sometimes, like in my daughter's case, the shadow man did not cause fear. In other case's, such as yours, he does. We haven't figured out what makes the difference.

One thing we have noticed, or that seems to be a common factor, is teenage girls seem to see him. Another thing is emotional trauma, such as a death, seems to bring him around. Did you experience anything like that when you first noticed him?

Hopefully by gathering as much information as we can, one day we might figure out what part these shadow men play.
Eazy-E (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Wow sounds like you have clingy spirits. Have you tried to tell them you're ready for a commitment?:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: