You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Bright Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Bright Man

 

First of all, this happened somewhat five years ago in the autumn of 2007. I've been searching the internet since to try to find anyone who has had even a slightly similar experience. So far nothing quite matches what happened to me, but lately I've been reading the articles here, and looking at some of the comments, and hopefully someone will have had something like this happened to them.

This happened only a week after my older brother was run over and killed by a mover truck. I was staying with our grandparents in their rural two story house on the outskirts of Dargaville, waiting for the next day when the funeral was to take place.

I was in the second story lounge with my friend Ria and we were watching the grandparents' collection of James Bond movies for the past few hours and it was almost half-past one in the morning. We were chatting away when the movie was coming to a close, and all of a sudden we heard this crazy booming from outside. We went silent instantly and I already knew what the noise was. On the utility house outside was a thin metal door that made the greatest bash noise with the slightest touch. Crime isn't famous around those parts and I am a bit over-cautious, being in the army for little over two years. I clicked off the television along with the lights, and we got down on our knees in front of the couch, where the view from the window was obscured. The grandparents were away giving condolences to my parents and I was there to watch over my deceased brother.

Anyway, I moved to the corner where the switch was to the lights that shone down on the utility house. I switched it on and asked Ria if she saw anything down there. She said there was nothing and it was probably a possum. I took her word for it and got ready for bed, lying out sleeping bags across the floor. We got ready and started chatting about the noise. Then it happened again, the same massive booming noise. This time I lent out the window and shone a field torch down there. Again, it looked as though nothing had caused the noise. Even though I am an atheist I wasn't going to rule out anything being that was where my brother's body was being kept.

We finished preparing and hopped in our sleeping bags. Almost ten minutes later the same noise happened again and this time it seemed like Ria was beginning to get a little freaked out. And I'd had enough, thinking it was some kind of prankster. I went and got my granddad's hunting shotgun and went out onto the deck. We had no rounds but I hoped the mere sight of it would scare off whoever was down there. I searched the perimeter of the shed but found nothing. I searched the perimeter of the house as well and still found nothing, so I went back inside to find Ria curled up in her sleeping bag. This time we were going to watch out the window for the noise to happen again. Another ten minutes later it happened again, and this time it was much worse.

About ten meters from the utility house something kind of materialized. It was in the shape of a man roughly, and it was solid white, not skin white, just white and it gave of a light that stuck to its body. It was sprinting directly toward the utility house. It sort of shoulder barged the door, and though it didn't break, it did dent quite a bit. The thing started beating its arms furiously and savagely against the door. The worst thing was the noise it made; it was screaming its head off. It sounds nothing human, not even like an animal, like something out of a horror movie. Ria stifled a scream beside me, while I was too freaked out to even make a noise. This thing was about nine feet tall almost reaching the height of the utility house itself. It looked like it had a tremendous build, all of its screaming was beginning to eclipse the tremendous booming of the metal door being struck. And suddenly, as if it sensed us watching it, the "Bright Man" stopped screaming and turned towards us, and this is what made me finally wise up and get away from the window. It had no face, no features whatsoever, except one thing: its eyes, like two little black marbles. I grabbed Ria by the arm and we sprinted for the back of the house.

We stayed in the bathroom that night, the only room without windows, and we kept the door firmly locked. The very next morning Ria left and I called in the police.

Soon an investigation was underway. The Door to the utility house was covered in massive dents and the lock was literally ripped off. Nothing was taken from inside but there was something strange. As my dead brother lay in his coffin, something had changed. His expression had gone from something peaceful to an intense frown. My parents thought of it as something of an omen after I told my story and refused to change his expression or his clothes. He was buried the next day. Rest in Peace Drake.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TheBrightMan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-04)
Sounds freaky bro. Have you seen it since then? What else you remember from the sighting of this white being
TheBrightMan (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-10)
Thank you for the comments. I took the advice and asked around the family about the house, nothing came up, but I was referred to a local with an interest in the paranormal, one of the first things he asked me was if we had ever used an ouija boar on the site, I told him we'd goofed around with one a few months back and the only thing that happened was the TV flickering, anyway, we said something about leaving behind a kind of spiritual doorway for demons. Sounded like absolute hogwash, is there any truth to it?

-The Bright Man
Tara902 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-16)
The first thing that came to my mind was banshee. Much like CharyWithThePoltergeists. I am completely out of ideas beyond that. Though, who knows? Maybe banshees can be men? We always discover new things abut the paranormal. Who I am to shut down an idea?
Thanks for the story,
Tara
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-11)
Thanks for the great story! This must have scared poor Ria for life, she probably will hide every time she hears a noise like this. Personally I would have called the police the first time I hearłthe banging sounds on that door. Brave move going out with grandads gun even though wasn't loaded.
I can't help you out on the Bright Man beating on the door and screaming but it was a good thing it didn't get to you. I'm glad you and
Ria are okay.
Please give us more info. As it sounds the creature is a pasty white grim reaper who emits it's own light. I am not trying to be disrespectful but this is a head scratcher.

Regards
Red
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-10)
Great story. I'm with Chary, I'm sure the history of the place is worth knowing.
CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-10)
Bizzjoe, yes spirits can touch us. It may be scary to some people but if they can manipulate electronics then they can certainly do that.

The first thing that came to mind was a banshee but if it was a man then it can't be. Are you sure its a man? Look into the history of the house, your family's and the other owners and stay safe! Thanks for sharing!
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-10)
verygood story indeed... I didn't know these entities would be able to dent metal, & conjure up such physical force... But why did you call the cops?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: