You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: That Was Odd

Real Ghost Stories

That Was Odd

 

Last July, early in the afternoon, I was sitting outside with my dogs. It was a bright, sunny day, not terribly hot yet, just a pleasant day. I was sitting in my chair, relaxing in the shade, Riley was sitting watching the woods for deer, Sassy was just laying in the sun. It was a quiet day, much to Riley's annoyance. He does love to bark at deer.

So, as we're just enjoying the day, this hammering starts across the road. Loud. I thought maybe the lady across from us was having some repairs done or something. I look over, and there is no one in her yard. The hammering was still going. Riley ignored it altogether, as he was fixated on the woods. He's got a one track mind. Sassy on the other hand had moved to the front of the fence, watching the neighbor's yard intently. Ok then. It's not just me hearing it.

I got up and went to stand by her, still the hammering noises are coming from across the road, still no soul in sight. I'm thinking, ok, someone is working in the backyard. That's when things got odd.

The hammering started moving. Across the road, across our front yard. Hammering on the front door. Then it was inside, hammering the walls. It hammered the west facing wall of each room, from the front door to the laundry room at the very back of the house. I stood with Sassy, both of us tracking the noise, moving our heads following it. Sassy lost interest around the time it hit the kitchen and went to lay in the sun again, leaving me watching the progression of the hammering. I paced along with the noise until the last room, the laundry room. The hammering continued on the west wall for several seconds, then just stopped as abruptly as it started. I'm just standing in the yard, saying wtf over and over. Got the dogs, went inside, checked each room while my loyal guard dogs stretched out on the couch. They're hard core like that. I didn't find anything out of place, nothing unusual, everything was perfectly normal.

I figure whatever it was, it couldn't be anything bad. Sassy would've had more of a reaction if it had been something nasty. Riley might even have noticed. Although I believe it was nothing dangerous, I have no idea what it was. It hasn't happened since.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BadJuuJuu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LemonDrop_Pop (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-10)
BJJ,Maybe it was the ones you lost trying to help you. Just a thought. God Bless
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
Hahaha Granny, I was hoping you were going to come and sing that, but I didn't want to ask... πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Griff: πŸ˜† Gawd, we need a song! Kumbaya, my lord! Kumbaya!
OOO and marshmallows! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Wow, congratulations, are we having a party, I will bring jelly and ice cream... 😁 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Aw, thanks BJJ 😳 but there are times when I'm sure you'd be disagreed with πŸ˜‰ I solemnly swear we will try not to lead you astrayπŸ˜†
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Woot! I love confetti!
Thanks yall, I hope to be a good mod. I've got two great mods to learn from. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Congrats, BadJuuJuu! I second the comments by both granny and val πŸ˜†
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Yay, BJJ! Congratulations! *tosses confetti* I think you'll be a good mod. 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
I'm very pleased to welcome aboard the Mod Mobile our very own BADJUJU!

Y'all play nice, now! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† ❀
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
Lol ikr? My big malfunction is making references to books and shows... And nobody gets it. Makes me sad.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
πŸ˜† Mine just looks at me like I've just crawled out of a hole. Why do the knock-knocks sound so much better in our heads than out of our mouths? πŸ˜†
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
I know the feeling. If I break out too many puns the hubbywumpkins threatens to leave me for a saner model. 😭
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
Thanks BJJ! I've got some even worse ones but I have to dole them out sparingly for my own safety. πŸ˜†
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
Hi babygoatpuller, I liked your knock knock joke and will not be slapping you for it lol. I appreciate your comment. ❀
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-11)
BJJ- I love these not-so-subtle wake up moments. Kind of like knock knock...who's there? Getit... Getit who? Getit-together and snap out of it! (I know... I should be slapped for that one!) I think you're probably right on track with your crack-pot theory. Go with it and when you start feeling too blue, remember it.

I'm so sorry you had to go through so many losses in such a short time. I can't imagine how overwhelming it must be but your strength will get you through.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-01)
B4Freya, it doesn't seem fair to lose so many in such a short time. Sorry you lost loved ones.
Your wake up call sounds sweet, I like that it made you laugh. ❀
B4Freya (4 stories) (26 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-28)
What a strange experience! I also find this discussion facinating! I also feel a connection... I lost 4 people between August 2012 and August 2013. The 2nd was my mother; and the last was my "almost" sister, a woman who was almost as much a sister to me as my real sisters (I was the "baby" sister to all of them; I now have 3 older sisters instead of 4--2 real and 1 "almost.") She passed from breast cancer. Last December I was feeling morose, awaiting a dreaded diagnosis. I was so down I left work early. I'd been wearing a hair clip all day and it was well secured. But in the thick of my depression, the clip snapped open to thwap me in the back of the head. I instantly thought it was my "sister" telling me to snap out of it. My mood changed instantly. And the diagnosis was not the bad one I'd been dreading.

On another note--I actually do have a Thor's hammer pendant!:) I also have a cousin Thor...who's been known to swing a hammer now and then!;)

Seriously though, a facinating story. The connection to west seems spot on. And the knocking, too. I'm so glad you got your wake up call! Mine wasn't nearly as exciting, but it did get me to laugh.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-28)
Hi notjustme. I love stories of residuals like that. I think this particular noise had intelligence behind it, haven't had much happen here that seemed residual in nature. Only a couple residual-y things. Had a tree limb fall, and the crash from that has replayed. That was pretty durn scary lol.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-27)
B.J.J - I think it could have been a glitch of a past event. My husband says when he was a teen, his family and him lived in a house where the previous owner chopped his own wood. Occasionally he and his siblings would hear chopping of wood in the evening but wouldn't see anything. This is the only thing I can think of. Interesting story!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-27)
Thanks Swims ❀
Granny, atm I don't have a Mjolnir, been looking for one for while tho lol. I love Thor's legends, his stories have a way of putting things in perspective. And sometimes a new perspective is all a person needs to put one foot in front of the other and carry on.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
BJJ: Do you happen to have a Thor's Hammer in your jewelry collection? I'm really not sure of the meaning, but I think it symbolizes strength and determination. Maybe someone was telling you that you're stronger than you think. 😊 ❀
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
I like the cracked pot theory. So sory about your losses, I understand. You know, I get this picture of a spirit of some kind, (who's to say it can't be an angel,) going, "BJJ, follow me now. Work out the puzzl. Moving- spirit moving- three words. Spirit moving on. YESS! You got it! Spirit moving on!" I'm glad you got comfort.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
Spiritwaiting, this is probably the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me, and I'm pretty used to weird. Going inside when the sounds started inside would have probably been the sensible course of action, but I was too busy being perplexed to be sensible. 😊
Elfstone, thank you. ❀ Invisible woodpecker on steroids? I like that idea lol.
Val, depressed was sort of the tip of the iceberg really. Depression, fear, stress, anxiety, you name it. Whoever got my attention that day, I do feel it was something I needed.
Thanks all ❀
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
BJJ - your 'crackpot theory' actually makes sense to me, and 'hammering' really isn't that far off from knocking is it? Knocking or 'rapping' are accepted as spiritual 'communication'. A spirit trying to get your attention, right? I don't want to pry or dig up any pain, but it is obvious to me, that you were depressed at the time. (Who wouldn't be? Especially with a triple dose of loosing people you care about?) Why wouldn't they try and snap you out of it?
Like you said, you were on the west side of the house, couple that with the info Miracle's supplied about what the direction of West is connected with, and it does make sense.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
Bjj, I'm so very sorry for your losses!

Perhaps it was an invisible woodpecker on steroids? ❀
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
BadJuuJuu, what a weird experience. I would have said the same thing to myself. I definitley would have gone inside the minute it started inside. How creepy. I am literally at a standstill with this. I don't have a clue. Awesome though! 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
Funny you should mention Thor, shortly after that incident I became absolutely fascinated with Norse mythology. Started reading everything I could get my hands on concerning the Norse deities. Natural I suppose, what with my long standing love of runes.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
LOL I was just sitting here imagining a ghost with a Thor-complex going, "Ignore me, will ya?" πŸ˜†
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
I know, and thank you. ❀
I think it probably was like that. Other, little things had been happening, stuff that just didn't register at the time as unusual. Should have, but I was just too distracted to give it any thought. Tough to ignore a phantom hammer though.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-26)
BJJ - think maybe it was one of those, "Okay, we've been trying to get your attention in other ways and you haven't been able to hear/see us so we're going to try it this way." That was supposed to be a question LOL

You know how sorry I am ❀

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: