You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost In The Mobile Home

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost In The Mobile Home

 

My story is kind of a weird one. I am 53 years old and have lived in the same state my whole life. I was raised on a small farm, driving tractors and riding horses. In the summer we used to sleep out on the hay stacks and tell ghost stories. We had an abandoned farm house a couple of miles from my house.

One summer day my sister and some of our friends went there. I had never seen a ghost but wanted too. The story was that two old sisters used to live there. Their family had built the home somewhere in the 1800's but now they owed back taxes and the county was going to sell their beloved farm. One day they decided to kill themselves. One sister shot herself with the double barreled shotgun and the other one gassed herself in the oven (I was a kid!)

So the hole in the wall was from one sister and the opened oven door was for the other one. So there we were, looking in the broken windows and we could see the open oven door. We saw the hole in the wall as we walked through the front door into the living room. All 5 little girls huddled together in a little girl ball of fear! Suddenly we heard the loudest scream EVER as the winged monster flew down the staircase after us! We ran so fast we forgot to even get on the horses we had ridden to the house! Well, it was a huge owl who flew down the stairs after us but at the time it was the scariest ghost ever in recorded history!

Now that I knew about ghosts I always had some fear of them. Through the years I have seen a few solid "ghosts" and I found out that I really wasn't that afraid of them.

One early morning after working an 11 hour shift, I got to bed about 3 in the morning. As I lay my head on my pillow I closed my eyes and right away I could feel someone looking at me. At the time I was in my mid 30's and a police officer and a single mother of 3 boys. I based my day of facts and evidence. But when I opened my eyes, there was a man laying next to me. He was laying on his side with his head supported on his hand and arm. He looked at me and smiled. I couldn't breath for about 30 seconds but suddenly I took a deep breath and he just smiled and vanished from his toes to his head.

I was pretty freaked out and unable to go back to sleep for quite a while after that but I think the one thing I took away from that was that I was NOT scared of him. I have seen that same man a few more times in my life and he never makes me feel afraid and he never touches me or says anything. He just shows up with a big smile on his face and he is gone.

Now I have been in the trailer I live in now since 1990. My grandmother and I bought this place and we also bought a brand new mobile home and put here. We are the only ones who have ever lived here, ever, that I know of. In 2000 I lost my beloved grandmother. She and I were very close and it broke my heart. Soon after I lost 3 great aunts, both my uncles and one great uncle then my cousin. In the last 4 years I have lost my aunt, my uncle and my mother. My Gram was the only one who lived in the trailer with me but I have heard my mother's voice, seen my uncle and I have many, many, many weird things going on pretty much all the time.

My 18 year old son thinks I am a loony and he does not believe in ghosts at all! HE is hard core Atheist, he believes that when you die that's it, your lights go out and you do too.

One morning he was sitting on the love seat getting ready for school. Directly in front of the love seat is my bedroom door (actually about 15' from the love seat is my door). He was drinking coffee and he looked up to see an old woman standing in the doorway. He looked at her, she looked at him, then she stepped back into my room and was gone! He freaked out! He started yelling "NO! NO! I DID NOT JUST SEE THAT!" He is still upset about it!

This is the only mobile home I have ever heard of that is haunted. It is my loved ones that are here, I know it is. They never scare me and if they start scaring others I just ask them to stop.

One day I lost my pills. I was going crazy looking for them! Finally I just stopped and said out loud, "Grandma, would you please help my find my pills? I can't find them and I don't know where they are!" I was almost in tears at this point. Suddenly it was like someone one just took over, I just got up out of the chair and walked right to the place where I had hidden the pill bottle. When my arm reached out to grab the bottle it felt like she let go of me. I was the coolest thing EVER.

I no longer fear death like I used to. I know that when I leave this body I will join with my kin and we will be off to new journeys and new lives. I don't believe in demons either. I think there are bad spirits just like there are bad people. I have dealt with plenty enough bad people to know that they die too. Some of them, I think, can be just as angry and hateful in death as they are in life.

Lady_Nightmare

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lady_Nightmare, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elt (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-15)
OK the first part was really funny the second part with the man was really creepy I am a guy and I don't know what I would do if I saw a man next to me like that 😁 [
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-15)
Omg! I would've freaked out seeing a man lying next to me:-o! You are really brave I must say! And the pill story is so sweet! Actually FEELING her helping you must be something else. Many of my relatives and I sometimes get what we deseparately ask my late grandad for, in times of need. But we've never physically felt anything. That feeling must be...just...out of this world, no? (Pun intended!)
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Hi, Narella. I don't have any statistics. I was responding to the comment before mine. Northcoastie made an observation and I was trying to think of things that might explain it.
Narella (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Elfstone: I'll let this be my last comment on the subject. Traditional homes are often in bad shape and in need of repair. That isn't confined to mobile homes.

There are so many reasons any type of home could be haunted. It might not be the home itself. It could be the land or an object inside the home that is causing the problem.

I've never known of anyone who moved their home to have the problems you mentioned your friend did. Professional movers don't let things like that happen.

And could you provide the statistics you have about the suicide rate in mobile homes?
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+4
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Ok, so -- did not mean to offend anyone! I was simply trying to understand why the suicide rate might be high in mobile homes. I also was not suggesting in any way that the things I pointed out are true about all mobile homes nor about the people who live in them. I did not coin the term "trailer trash", I was simply pointing out that it exists.

I've lived in trailers myself and while it's certainly true that there are some very nice ones, there are also a lot of very not nice ones. The people who move them are not always professionals who are careful with their cargo. When one of my friends got her trailer out onto her property, one of the toilets had fallen through the floor and been lost in transit.

I guess my point is that, while not every trailer is in poor condition and depressing, and certainly not every person who buys one is poor or depressed, when someone who is poor gets a trailer they're as likely as not to wind up with a depressing one.

Sorry if that offends anyone!
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
I wanted to say that to BJJ but didn't want to step on anyone's toes. (also leaving)
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
(Sorry, don't want to be difficult, but just wanted to say that acknowledging a stereotype exists isn't the same as buying into the stereotype. Going away now.)
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+5
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
I live in a manufactured home, but in my opinion it is a "mobile home" simply because it can be moved a lot easier than a regular house (and the park is considered a 'mobile home park'). There are homes in our park that the purchase price exceeds $150,000. Not my idea of a wise investment πŸ˜†, but yeah.

In elfstone's defense, and in my opinion, there are more of the stereotypical parks in the US than atypical. Also, not every mobile home is in a park. There are a lot of folks who own the property the trailer is on so the tenants are more likely to take pride in their home. They are much more affordable than building a stationary, single family home. 😊
Narella (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Elfstone: I live in a mobile home and I strongly disagree with everything you said about mobile homes and the people who live in them. First of all, just because someone lives in a mobile home doesn't mean they are trashy. A lack of class is found in all economic levels. Most intelligent people don't buy the stereotypes. Second of all, just because someone lives in a mobile home doesn't mean they are in financial distress. People living in traditional homes have problems as well. Not all mobile homes are cheap. Mobile homes moved by companies that specialize in that do not lose any structural soundness. Please get your facts before you believe stereotypes.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
elfstone - you have brought up some valid points, but having lived in several mobile homes, and currently own and live in one, I have to offer a different opinion. Unfortunately I'm at work right now and don't have enough opportunity to do it just yet πŸ˜‰ I'll be back when I'm not at risk of getting caught πŸ˜†
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Northcoastie, that's really interesting. I wonder if anyone's ever done a study about that? I can think of a few things that might help to explain it (and why trailers tend to be haunted).

First, there's a social stigma attached to just living in a trailer -- trailer trash? Second, because they are inexpensive, often they're the homes of people in financial difficulties, which creates stress. Third, the more times a trailer is moved, I'd think, the less likely it is to remain structurally sound, meaning it would be harder to heat and cool and more likely to leak in bad weather.

Put it all together and it's almost a recipe for depression. 😒
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-23)
Sorry for laugh about Your 18 year old son can't help that saying No No tell me I didn't see that... Lol Sorry again... And I do believe some Trailer/Moblie home do haunted and house and apartment others place plus the ground before place build. Anyway Bad people do bad in after life. Good story.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-22)
SirenBelva - In reference to your question about whether or not there is something about the construction of trailers that makes them more susceptible to hauntings - In my experience, mobile homes tend to exchange hands a lot more than site-built houses. They are a really cost effective starter home and people get a lot for their money, but they depreciate fast, so you can buy a 10 year old mobile home for about the cost of a nice new car. With changing hands so often, a lot more people will live in one dwelling, and you'd think with more occupants over the lifespan of the dwelling, you'd have a higher chance of a spirit sticking around.

One thing I can tell you from experience unfortunately... At work (I work for a firm that investigates and handles insurance claims) I've seen more suicides in mobile homes than apartments or site built dwellings. I have no idea why... Seems like every time I get suicide cleanup its always a mobile home.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-10-22)
I find myself having to agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't believe in Demons and people think i'm in denial because apparently "You can't have one without the other". I have had my fair share of bad Spirits, but usually they are good Spirits, or just cheeky 😁.
What a wonderful story as well, thanks for sharing.
Love & Light, Rachel ❀
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-22)
Lady_Nightmare
I absolutely love your story. From the giant ghost flying down the stairs to your atheist son seeing a ghost. πŸ˜†.
The man appearing to you is fascinating. You don't recognize him at
All? With so many relatives appearing to you maybe he was someone who you knew many years ago and you lost touch with and he died and is just coming by to see you?
I agree with you that bad people can be just as angry and hateful in death as in life. Maybe you don't have to be bad, just angry and hateful I know some people like that. Where do you think they go after they die? I once had a dream that I was visiting my grandparents in heaven.
While there I noticed people living outside the pearly gates like an outer heaven. I asked my grandparents about them and they said that they were people who didn't do enough good things while alive to get inside heaven. This dream was so realistic that I could smell and taste my grandmothers cooking and the people were so pleasant it was like well heaven.
Regards
Red
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-21)
Great story! One of my published stories, "Florida Shampoo Ghost" took place in a trailer. Like Miracles, I wonder if there is something about trailers (the materials used?) that attracts the activity. I hear a lot of creepy stories from people who live in trailers. And I agree with elfstone that skeptics bring a lot of it onto themselves by taunting the unexplainable.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-20)
Hahahaha winged monster! πŸ˜† And your poor son. This story is wonderful.

Though I, too, am curious about this man you apparently recognized. Tell us more?
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-19)
I've lived in two mobile homes as an adult and had creepy things happen in each, including the single weirdest experience I've ever had. ((I should write that up and submit it.)

I too loved your son's encounter. It reminds me of a story a friend told me. She lived in a house in California that was haunted by a young man. One night her son had friends over and one of them was loudly ridiculing their belief in ghosts. Later, when they were all standing at a big picture window watching a meteor shower, the ghost appeared, drifted up nose to nose with the doubter, and tapped the glass.

Thanks for sharing your story!
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Lady_Nightmare, This one went into my favs, and not many make it there. 😊
Your son's reaction really cracked me up (sorry about that - but it did.) Maybe now he'll be a little more open to the possibility that we share our universe with a good many others, and there is more to our journey then what we are given to understand.
I hope you have more experiences to share with us.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Fave! I'm just picturing the scariest ghost ever incident. And love it when the Atheists meet a spirit, also. And of all the posts, the smiling man in bead with you absolutely rocks. And now I have to read Miricles trailors. Thankyou for the story.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Lady_Nightmare- I'm with Miracles on this one. A great read! When you mentioned you hadn't heard of mobile homes being haunted, she was the first person to pop into my head. You should read her stories. All great accounts and she's on my top five favs. (just wish she'd get more stories posted 😁)

Sounds like you've got a guardian or two looking after you. I love how you have no fear and use common sense and I'm with you also on the bad people-bad ghost thing.

Welcome to YGS and again, great read and hope to hear more from you soon.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-18)
Lady_Nightmare - first I have to say I truly enjoyed your story. From you sharing the story of the two sisters and the "winged monster" to your feelings about angry and bad people after they die, which I share by the way.

Now, I do have to tell you that you don't have the only "haunted" mobile home πŸ˜‰ Sorry about that πŸ˜† I stand by the claim that the manufacturers of mobile homes "blow ghosts in with the insulation." Seriously πŸ˜† My children and I live in a mobile home (this is the... Hang on a sec, counting on my fingers...okay, 7th trailer I've lived in during my life [also spent a few months living in a camper when our house burnt when I was little]).

Every one that I have lived in since I have been an adult (that would be 4 LOL) have had ghostly activity. I think I've shared a story or two on here from each of those homes LOL. So you're not alone.

I have a question, if you don't mind. The man who laid in bed beside you. You never mentioned whether or not you recognized him. I'm assuming you didn't or you would have said so, but do you have any idea who he is/was?

And your son's reaction to seeing the older woman... Love it! I'm sorry, that probably isn't nice and I don't mean it to be mean, but denial especially when it is so "in your face" is so funny sometimes.

Thank you for joining our site and sharing your story with us. I do look forward to more from you, if you want to share them with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: