You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: Calico Ghost Town Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Calico Ghost Town Experience

 

On Sunday, December 6 2009, my daughters and I accompanied my mother and my two brothers to San Bernardino's Calico Ghost Town. It was a warm day despite the season and everything was already decorated for the upcoming Christmas.

It was a little boring, but we did have a good time. We visited gifts shops, museums, old but restored buildings, and we rode their touring railroad from which we learn the story behind the town (plus interesting facts like marked spots on the rocky mountains where silver can still be found!).

Before the day was over, we drove to the cabin my brother rented. Once there we rode my brother's two quads, had a barbeque, and finally settled down to sleep. The cabin had several bunk beds but since I forgot to bring blankets and pillows, I took two mattresses and made a temporary bed on the floor which I share with my mother. My girls shared a bunk bed that was placed next to a beautiful stained-glass window (the only one there).

Later in the night, I'm not quite sure at what time maybe around 3 or 4, my eldest, Sharon, got up frightened that she heard whisperings next to her ear and slipped into bed next to me, followed by her sister claiming to have herd the voices as well (though not by her ear). I remember smelling cooking meat when Sharon settled next to me and I thought that was weird. No one was cooking that late at night, our cabin was quite separated from the others around so it couldn't have been neighbors. My brother was sleepwalking, tripping over people (he has never sleepwalked in his life!). My sister in law had horrible night terrors where she thought she was awake -maybe she was- and screamed from fright at a monster climbing the ceiling. She said she was yelling for by brother who never responded to her call.

All in all, it was quite an experience. Interestingly, part of the town had burned down and I wonder now if the smell was that of burning flesh of some poor unfortunate fire victim! Read my next paranormal accounts that followed this night titled, The Uninvited Follower.

Other hauntings by augiegvc

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, augiegvc, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Angela1987 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Hi! I read your story and its sounded quite frightening! I live in barstow which is about 30-45 minute away from Calico and I don't remember anyone who parished in the fire but I could be wrong! But with Calico being an old mining town it woudnt surprise me how many spirits are roming around there!
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-08)
Hi, Augie:

At first I thought as some others, that the meat could have been someone rising early to cook before an early morning at a fire or even carried afar as bacon and ham can be quite aromatic and spread far. Growing up, we sometimes smelled BBQ being cooked from across the lake.
But the totality of the experiences makes me feel differently and as you do. I agree with your consensus of a haunting from the burning town, residual energy, and tortured souls leftover.
I once worked where human parts were cremated and none of us ever felt nauseated, but that was probably done at higher temperatures.
Maybe there was preserved meat stored that caught fire when the town burned. Regardless of whether or not there is a plausible explanation for the cooking meat smell, the rest sounds like no place I'd like to stay other than saying prayers for those still suffering in spirit.
Blessings,
Lynev
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-08)
augiegvc - because you attributed the smell of cooking meat to burnt flesh, I asked two people yesterday who have, unfortunately, experienced the smell of burnt flesh. Both of them stated when they smelled it, it did not remind them in anyway of cooking meat. One said it was the worse smell he has ever smelled in his life. The other stated it is a smell that makes you want to vomit.

I'm only sharing this because I would hate to think one of our members would assume the smell of a steak on a grill could actually be the ghost of a fire victim.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-07)
augiegvc - I'm not trying to discount your story, just provide alternate possibilities for what you and your family experienced.

The smell of cooking meat could have been exactly that. Someone cooking over a fire or grilling. Granted, I have no idea what a fire victim smells like and hope I never experience that 😢

As for the voices, maybe people were out late for a nighttime stroll and the sounds of their voices carried.

There is the atmosphere to take into consideration as well. Just the name begs for a paranormal experience, or at least paranoia, fear, hope, etc that maybe you'll experience something.
Kshaya_SL (4 stories) (13 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-07)
Thanks for sharing your story... Waiting for "The Uninvited Follower'' 😁
eltimur (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
hi augiegvc,. Base on your story and the link you shared, the The fire began just before 2:30 a.m then your experience start around 3 - 4 not so sure about the time so may be it happen again repeatedly, unfortunately you guys are there just like actors who play the role of the victims, lend a prayer for those who suffer on that tragic... Nice story
augiegvc (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
Oops, my last comment was meant for sushantkar, sorry. My bad 😢.
augiegvc (3 stories) (10 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
You'll see we weren't pranked once you read 'The Uninvited Follower,' ashar123.
augiegvc (3 stories) (10 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
To ashar123:

Thanks for liking my story. It only gets creepier from there, once you read 'The Uninvited Follower.' 😨
augiegvc (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
To Miracles51031:

We were told about the fire during our railroad ride there. But I did also read about it here: http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jul/25/local/me-26379. But like you said, there's nothing there about anyone dying. Then again, it'll be bad publicity for the town to let tourist know they had fatalities. Who knows, maybe it was a fire victim from way before the place was used for mining; all I know is what I scented and I've read somewhere or heard from someone that human flesh smell like cooking meat. Gross!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
augiegvc - I like researching and reading about other's experiences, so when you mentioned a previous fire at the Calico Ghost Town, I Googled. I couldn't find anything about anyone being hurt in the fire of 2001. I was just wondering if you could provide us with a link to the fire you are talking about if have one. I freely admit to not being the best at seeking out information 😆
ashar123 (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
A very odd and weird experience you have gone through. I liked this short story. I am excited to read "The Uninvited Follower''
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
Hello augiegvc! It was quite weird. You have toured a ghost town that day and may be you were pranked.

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: