You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Family Makes A Sick Call: Part Ii

Real Ghost Stories

My Family Makes A Sick Call: Part Ii

 

The first part of my story left off in the winter of 1976, when I was a twenty-seven-year-old divorced mother and grad student. Some supposedly minor surgery had resulted in life-threatening complications.

The hematoma near my surgery site burst without warning. I'd been trying to slowly get out of bed with my mother's help when a sudden gush of blood washed over my feet. Just before I lost consciousness I complained about the blood ruining my new slippers! Then I was out.

Later Mom told me how she'd sprinted for help. My blood pressure reading was zero when she rushed back with a nurse, so it took many units of blood to bring me back. I don't remember any of this. What I do remember, though, was having visitors again.

It was as if the room were blanketed in mist. Suddenly I realized there were three young adults sitting in a row next to my bed, watching me quietly. All three were dressed in clothing that reminded me of old-time Quaker attire. The visitor on the left was a pale-complected young man with sandy blonde hair. Next to him sat a girl who resembled him so much, I thought she must be his sister - if not his twin. The person on the right was a young, medium-complected black woman.

As they began gently "talking" to me without speaking, I could tell they were kind, empathetic people; but this was hardly comforting, because they told me they'd been sent to guide me "home". Of course I wasn't ready to go. I told them I needed to stay and take care of my little boy, but they continued trying kindly to comfort and persuade me until I was in a state of panic.

Suddenly all three stopped talking and looked apprehensively across the room. There stood a familiar-looking older woman, glaring at them wrathfully. I'd seen that glare before and knew it had cowed plenty of other people in the past - tardy fourth graders, door-to-door salesmen, and once in a while someone in our family. My grandmother had always had a commanding presence.

Grandma didn't glance my way even once; clearly, she had come to my hospital room for a single purpose. As she advanced toward the three young people, they stood up, exchanged frightened looks, and started to back away. Then they were gone. So was my grandmother...

For decades I've thought about my experience. Over time I've come to believe a compassionate spirit meets us at the moment of death and guides us into the next world. But I've wondered many times who the three young people were. Why were they sent to me instead of someone I knew? After nearly four decades, I think I've uncovered the answers to my question.

A few years ago when the genealogy craze was in full swing I became curious about my mother's side of the family. When I did some research I was flabbergasted to learn that some of my mother's ancestors were Mennonites who came from Europe to escape religious persecution. There are still Mennonites living in the area where my ancestors first settled, and their dress is similar to that of Quakers - no surprise, since the Quakers started as a group of Mennonites who broke off from the older church. I also learned that the anti-slavery Mennonite groups in the US included members who were African American.

Maybe the visitors were my relatives from long ago, chosen to meet me because they were closer in age to me than my more recently departed family members, so they would probably communicate with me better. It's a theory, anyway - and very comforting.

Other hauntings by Seraphina

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Seraphina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-10)
Jerry B., thank you for taking the time to read my story. I appreciate your comments! ~Seraphina
JerryB (8 stories) (189 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-09)
Just finished reading your account, I found it intriguing and believe every word you say. I can't shed any light as to who those three young people were but if you say they possibly could have been distant relatives of yours come to greet you, I easy agree with that for my own reasons. Also what you say about your grandmother coming to your rescue. Very interesting story.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-09)
Hi, Psychicsenses,
I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. I stopped checking for new comments. 😉 To answer your questions, I'm in decent health for an old lady. 😊 (I retired recently.) My son turned out to be the first of four sons. He's middle-aged and has five grandchildren! Thank you for asking. ~Seraphina
Psychicsenses (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-05)
sorry year=your. And yes what's your son doing now? I wish you good health and prosperity
Psychicsenses (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-11-05)
Seraphina,
I guess that was close to death experience where you see departed people. But year granny saved year life though. This happens when we meet with major accidents or prolonged illness. But be careful in future. Also how is year health now?
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-22)
Biblio, that's an interesting point. My only theory is that they thought they were doing the right thing, but I guess I'll never know. I'll keep your warning in mind.
RedWolf, how right you are! My grandmother certainly was a character, a very tough lady who was idolized by her students 😊
Thank you, Biblio and Red, for your comments!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-19)
Hi, Seraphina.

I've been mulling over this half of your narrative, and I'll admit that I am troubled by the misguided persistence of your (possible) relatives. Certainly your grandmother's arrival saved the day (saved your sanity, your life, etc!), but the fact that the others reacted with uncertainty and fear seems peculiar. I know the effect a strong personality can have on misguided or guilty people, but the innocent seldom evince fear; more often than not, the innocent need to have the stronger personality's outrage explained to them, or they may become indignant and defend their actions because they feel they're being wrongly accused.

I would prefer to think that these spirits were more misguided than sinister, but their resolution NOT to listen to your arguments is disconcerting.

Be on your guard; just to be on the safe side, emulate your grandmother in future confrontations. 😊

-Biblio.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-19)
Seraphina,
I am glad your grandmother sent your other ''visitors'' packing. She sounds like she was quite a character but I bet her students loved her. Loved the story. 😁
Regards
Red
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Thank you, Tweed and Val, for reading my story and commenting. That's an honor. 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Seraphina,
Very interesting account! Lucky for you Gran showed up when she did, because it sounds as though they were being very persistent.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-16)
Seraphina,

Thank you for sharing part two. I loved reading the first part just as much. 😊

Nice one tracking who they may have been, albeit unintentionally. Must have been a revelation. I pondered their motives were good. Like receiving early Sunday visits from members of religious door to door groups. You know they mean well, but you still resent being roused from a restful slumber. Your Gran was right to see them off: "Oi! You lot, wrong time, be gone with you, scram!"

Thanks again for sharing, this must have been a very profound time in your life. You sure as heck have a lot of support from the other side. Your Gran sounds great! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: