You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Nui Tou Arrest Spirits That Escape From Hell

Real Ghost Stories

Nui Tou Arrest Spirits That Escape From Hell

 

I posted an earlier story about Ghost Of Pulau Ubin. Today, I am going to tell you about a story that happened during the hungry ghost festival.

I and my two friends, Yeo Ying Jie and Marcus, were preparing to take a stroll along a path that leads to a temple. After we walk a few minutes, we found our self outside the temple. We decided to pray to the deities before we go back.

When we walk right into the temple, a breeze of wind blew across my face, and I knew that something was amiss. We took some joss stick and burn the tip of it. When we were praying, I notice that there is something dark moving near the hell deities alter. It was dark and has a human body, but with cow head. I also saw that it was holding a chain, with a naked person neck chained to it. I was freaked out, I told my friend to get out immediately, when they saw the expression on my face, they know that there is a spirit around. All of us quickly run back to the house.

The next day, we went back to the temple, we told the owner about that bull head human body and the person chain. The owner said that it was a hell guard (nui tou). He is the spirit who guard the hell gate (gui men guan) with his brother (ma mian). The owner also said that it comes to the mortal to arrest spirits that escape from hell. I was amazed. I think that I am the first lucky person to see such sight, but I do not want to see it again!

I hope that you will like my story! Please leave some comments, thank you!

Other hauntings by anikenlee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Singapore

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, anikenlee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Donald_Trumpet (18 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
I know this is an old story and don't expect the author to answer but WTF was in those joss sticks?!

You either got stoned or were hallucinating man.

Bfn
sereneamour (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-11)
Don't worry. Their jobs is to catch bad spirits or guard the gate only. They won't harm humans. Thanks for sharing
ChewYIn (8 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-17)
wohh...i can imagine already what it looks like... Soo creepy~ 😨
Phoenix77 (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
I wish the other realms were as respected here in America as they are in other countries. You appriecated what you were seeing, without getting hysterical. Very admirable of you. Well told story as well, thank you.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-04)
I have to say that this was a very scary story. What you saw must have been very scary! Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
+2
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
Excuse me please, anikenlee.

For those of us who read through this and were still wondering...

Joss sticks are a type of incense used in many East Asian countries, traditionally burned before a Chinese religious image, idol or shrine. Joss stick burning is an everyday practice in traditional Chinese religion. There are many different types of joss sticks used for different purposes or on different festive days. Thick joss sticks are used for special ceremonies, such as funerals. Spiral joss sticks are also used on a regular basis, which are found hanging above temple ceilings, with burn times that are exceedingly long.

Wikipedia has a more in depth explanation of what the uses are, and the types available. This is just a "snap shot" overview taken from it's page to explain what more than one person was questioning.

Thank you.
anikenlee (5 stories) (14 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
Yo sagamizu, those demon can enter holy place because they are not really demon, they are also deities. They can only roam around the hell deity alter because they are afraid of brightness.

thanks for posting your comments!
anikenlee (5 stories) (14 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
Hi KimSouth0, are you a Buddhist? If yes you should know what is joss stick. And hell deities are afraid of brightness,so,they set them in dark and eerie corner. It is really frightening 😨
sagemizu (30 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Well originally Buddhism didn't talk about Deities or anything of that nature I think. But during time they mixed other beliefs into Buddhism however in the end even with deities and gods they always see the Buddha as the supreme being.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
I was under the impression Buddhist have no deity beliefs. Now Hinduism does. They have many many many gods. I don't know what you saw so I will do some research on it. I'm sure it was frightening and I don't mean to belittle your experience but it does reek of folklore. Thanks for sharing.
sagemizu (30 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
I'm assuming this is related to Buddhism well to explain the alter for the Deities in hell. Just look it up on wikipedia like Buddhist hell and then there will be many different variations. As for demon gateway I don't think so. Demons aren't supposed to be able to enter holy grounds such as temples but I'm just going from watching thai movies.
Demonbinder (66 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
Unless you want to find yourself at the gates of hell too, I would advise you refrain from praying to these entities.

Treygcs [at] hotmail.com
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
What is a joss stick? One other question, why is there an alter for the dieties of hell? Isn't that like an open invitation for all sorts of demons?

Thanks for sharing,
God Bless!
gary11872 (1 stories) (60 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-02)
It makes sense regardless of religion. I would have liked to be there.

You should have tried to talk to him. Perhaps he had a message for you.

Gary:)

P.s. People rarely have a paranormal experience only once, set up a plan for if this ever happens again.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Hello Anikenlee. I was going to say that the bull head/human shape that you saw was a god that was worshipped in the temple and the man attached to it with the chain was one of its guards! Thanks for sharing this story it was interesting to find out that it was a "hell guard".
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Aniken Lee--A frightening encounter for one as young as you, but a powerful lesson for you to live a good and honest life! Thank you for this window of insight into a culture of beliefs I know little about, yet which shows me how much the same our human experiences can be. May the good spirits protect and guide you always.
KAIGirl661423 (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Very interesting. Your culture certainly fascinates me. I'll admit, if that creature was standing before me, I would have got out of there too. Thanks for sharing 😁
Nicky7x (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
Thats really interesting I would have been terrified to! Thank you for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: