You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Tower Of London

Real Ghost Stories

Tower Of London

 

In the spring of 2008 I travelled to London with a relative, we stayed with my cousin. While we were there we decided to go to the tower of London.

The first of the odd experiences began with our entrance. When entering the main courtyard I looked up at one of the towers, in the window of the tower I saw a figure staring out with longing, as if it was trapped there. I was slightly freaked out but decided that it must have been a person on tour there as well. When I got to that building I found the place where the window was, but it was about ten feet above the ground with no obvious way to get up there.

Later on I was in another tower towards the back of the compound; this tower was used to harbor prisoners. While I was there I kept seeing flashes of light across my vision, like orbs of light. The most frightening experiences happened in that tower. I was looking into a small glass alcove, when all of a sudden I realized I wasn't looking at my just my reflection... There was another face, an older male with a lined face, staring directly at me with a horrific expression on his face...

The tower next to this one had a dark feel about it, like of death. I made it most of the way through this tower when we were in the quarters of a king or lord who stayed there, it was getting dark at this time and the sun was gone so our shadows weren't visible. As I looked at the wall a shadow flowed across the wall, it was human in shape and had a darker coloration then any shadow I've ever seen.

These are the most experiences I have ever encountered in my life, I haven't been able to explain what happened, all I know is that the Tower of London is a place to avoid if afraid of the paranormal, but those who like the supernatural; it is definitely worth a visit if you're ever in the area.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lucas1245, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Silene02 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-19)
I was there in 2011. I didn't see any ghost but I can't deny that some spots makes you feel a little uneasy. There is a place that made me uneasy, it was a room where the walls have a lot of antique graffiti, it gave me the chills when I thought of the people imprisoned there. The other spot that made me feel low, and contemplative, it was the traitors door I felt how the shame and sadness of so many people is printed in that place. You can't see anything unusual, but you can clearly feel the mood.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-13)
Back in the 90s I took a load of 35mm photos in Winchester cathedral and about half had very obvious ghosts in it. I lost the pics and negatives or I'd post em. Point is, earthstuck spirits linger about thee places a long long time.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-31)
That part of the world has such an old history. I've always wanted to travel over that way but life happens... Amazing experiences! It sounds like fun. Great story! ❤
trina (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-28)
I've never been to the tower I don't know if I'd like to go I think I'd feel to many bad vibes mainly if the story of the two princes in the wall is really true I would hate to feel the fear those two wee boys went through.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-27)
While I would love to see it from the outside I don't think I would go into it. I don't know if I could handle being in a place that held so much misery and cruelty. I do think, that if one who is not sensitive has the chance to see something supernatural, it would be there. The horrible part was these were suppose to be people who knew about God but they sure didn't reflect it. That kind of cruelty comes from sick souls and I'm sure the residue of it is still there. No doubt that's what you saw, residual haunting. I can't imagine a spirit wanting to stay in such a place to haunt it intelligently, unless it was some cruel guard or torturer who really loved his job.
peacemakerJohn (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-26)
hmmmm...that scary.
I usually experience suff like this as well but this one seems out of the ordinary.
Great story by the way!
Miss_laura (9 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-26)
Om the history channel they have lots of reports on the tower of london, people who died there, kings who ruled there etc. I am going to england next year and plan to visit the outside.) I wish to take photos of the out side, it strucutre if you will). I'm so excited to do so. But I do kind of expect to see something supernatural there as It not jsut the inside that held executions. A husband and wife where brutally tortured than hanged from the mots wall so wh enthe tide came in they would slowly drown. Nasty.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-26)
Considering the age of the Tower, as pointed out by Surya, the wonder is NOT that there may be lots of residual energy, but it would be strange if there WEREN'T.

Think of all the unknown people who suffered there; not just the famous ones such as Anne Boleyn and Thomas More, but ordinary folks who somehow ran afoul of the law, or some influential person.

Yes, I can easily agree that the site of so much misery would surely be drenched in it!
galvon (142 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-26)
when I'm older... I'm gana visit my brother in england. And surely go to the towers. And ty for sharing your story
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-26)
Very interesting story. I have always wanted to go to London cause I know there is sooo much history there. My dad went to Paris and he said it was really nice there. Thank you for sharing, and if you have pictures I would love to see them. 😉
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-26)
Lucas1245,
Thank you for taing time to share your experiences with us. I had not done much rsearch on the Tower of London until readng your story, now I am intrigued and I will research this more. It certainly sounds as if it is steeped in history and energy, energy that you were apparently made aware of.

God Bless!
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-26)
A Bit Of History

Many of the towers once held prison cells, and the White Tower once held torture chambers within its crypt. Tower Green outside the White Tower was reserved for Royal executions, while Tower Hill served as the public execution place for all the other traitors. Over the centuries the tower has performed diverse royal functions, it has been a prison, palace, observatory, menagerie, place of capital punishment and a museum.

Ghosts and Hauntings
With all the blood, death and intrigue the Tower of London has been involved with in its 900-year history, there is little wonder that it has the reputation as one of the most haunted places in Britain. There have been literally hundreds of executions on Tower Hill, from claimants to the throne, political activists and petty criminals. Many of the towers have also served as prisons, and places of misery for people on the wrong side of powerful people. If anywhere could lay claim to a host of tortured souls it would be the Tower.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: