You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Indian Burial Ground Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

Indian Burial Ground Haunted House

 

The story starts out like this, I was a small child at the time, only about 5, and the other person in this event is my brother, he was about 16 at the time. My family had bought our first house in Bartlett Illinois, and we were vey excited to move in. The previous owner had all of the windows covered with blankets and he never seemed to come out of the house we thought nothing of it and we moved in. For the first few months nothing really happened, and we were all really happy to be in the house.

Of course things got worse, after a while, in my room (which I shared with my brother on bunk beds). My brother and I could hear noises at night coming from the basement, and for a while we thought nothing of it, and just blocked it out of our minds. Then the noises turned into voices after a few weeks, and there were two, one of a small child or baby crying and a man in about his 40's laughing manically and yelling at the baby to be quiet. Now of course our parents didn't believe us and just told us we were watching too much TV. And my older sister who was 18 at the time told us the same thing, until she started to hear it too.

First she came into our room, and told us to stop making noises, and we told her we weren't and she said "yea right just stop okay?" then about a week later, she heard the voices again, and she heard sounds on someone walking up our basement stairs, now she freaked and got mad at us and opened the door but no one was there, she went into our room and saw that me and my brother were both there, she got really scared and stayed in our room that night.

About a month later, my dad was at work, my mom was out running errands, and my sister who could drive now were out with her friends, so my brother had to watch me in our house. Now up until this time, we only heard the voices at night around 2-3 am. It was about noon and we were in the TV room, and we heard the man and the baby from upstairs in the basement, finally my brother got fed up with it and tried to go yell at the spirit and tell it to stop bothering us and to tell it to leave. This apparently made it angry because he heard me start crying from downstairs like something was trying to hurt me, and he ran upstairs and found me crying on the couch. At this point he was scared and angry at the same time, and when he started saying again for the thing to leave he hard the laughing downstairs again. So he took me by the hand this time and went downstairs again, we were at the bottom of the stairs when we heard from downstairs, our kitchen cabinets creak open, and plates start dropping from them, we freaked out and ran to our neighbour's house until my mom got home. We told her the story and she just got mad at us and said we broke the plates just for the story. My dad basically said the same thing when he got home.

Three months later my parents got a divorce and we moved out of the house with my mother. We later learned that the house was built on an ancient Indian burial ground and we also learned the after we left, the garage burned down for some mysterious reason, but once in a while I will drive by there and I still get the ominous feeling like there is something in there and I drive away a little faster.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CorradoGuy21, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Andrewmy3rs (1 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-11-09)
Not sure if anyone still reads the comments on here. I live just across Army Trail from Bartlett. I'm telling you all - anyone who reads this - don't pursue the paranormal. You may think you know what you are doing, but you are being played like a fiddle. The spirits are real, and they want one thing: to destroy you. They will manipulate you ANY way they can to keep the truth from you. Do not seek hope for the living from the dead. There is none.
tjmounger6 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-23)
Hello,
I was fourfiestykids a year + ago. Thank You for the info. I am still on Chippendale & have had a handfull of spirits come in & out. I have some on EVP clear. They sound Caucasian. Both Children (boys & girls) and Adult Males have come thru. No Adult females... Yet that I or my family are aware of. There seems to be a portal of some sort here. I took the dog out late last night & he was afraid. Such that he put his head down & started backing away-walking backwards. He is Dobe/Rott mix -he isn't fearful of much. If anyone hears of anything on Chippendale Dr, please fwd.
Thank You So Much!
CorradoGuy21 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-10)
guys and gals about two years ago I stayed over at a friends house and another friend came with me. We used a Ouija board... And luckily we didn't contact anyone, but his house was already haunted, and I think we angered whatever was in his house. Details soon to be posted in another story
CorradoGuy21 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-09)
i just talked to my sister, and she will email me the photo tonight around 8pm central time. 😜
Ill upload the photo anyway and I can I can link it if you guys want.
CorradoGuy21 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-09)
thanks for responding WhiteBuffalo, luckily since then I haven't really had any memorable paranormal experiences, however, since the time I wrote this story, I have also learned some interesting things told by my family. My mother whom now resides in Arizona, along with my brother from the story, told me that as a child, I had been locked in the basement by my father because I wouldn't eat my food (yes I was and still am a notoriously picky eater;) ) my mother told me she heard me screaming for my life like something was trying to kill me. (I guess I blocked out the memory due to fear, because I had no idea it happened) Also, remember my sister from the story? Well me and here were looking at some old photos on the computer we scanned there of my whole family (at the time, my grandma was visiting from Czech Rep.) and we had all gathered out front for the photo, my father took the picture, while my mom, brother, sister, grandma and I were on the front step. In my sisters room, you can see a white "Figure" and when you zoom all the way in it looks to have a face, asked her if she had anything in that room by the window (even though I remember she didn't) and she confirmed that she didn't. I can upload the image to Photobucket if I still have it and post a link if you guys want, just let me know:)
(if I don't have it on my computer, I will take me a day or two to get my sister to email it to me, but I know she has it)

Thanks for all your help everyone
-Jake
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-09)
Thank you, CorradoGuy21.
Give me a few more days to gather up all the, what I feel may be relating information, and I will get back with this.
Wa-do.
CorradoGuy21 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-09)
guys I just found the street we lived on using google earth, I dated back to 1994 when we lived there and found our exact house, I remember that it is the house because me and my brother ran to the church behind our house when the incident happened. To the person living on Chippendale dr, I'm afraid its not on Chippendale, rather on woodhollow ln, the cross street of chippendale. Its not surprising that you have had occurrences of things like this, it seems that whole block has some weird stuff going on. Type woodhollow ln in on google maps, use satellite imagery, zoom in until the streets are very clear, and move to the left a little, you will see the two culdesacs, and you will see three houses on the southern side of the street, slightly to the right of the intersection with Chippendale dr. With pools, my house was the one in the middle with the smaller pool, that appears dark blue with a light blue ring in it...
fourfiestykids (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-13)
Hey everyone. I am hoping I can get some ad'l info on the above. I started really doing some research this am based on waking up with 3 cat-like scratches right below my wrist on my right arm & 1 sctrach on my left thumb. I will say this-I live on Chippendale in Bartlett. I have had a cpl 'weird' instances happen here. My oldest daughter has had the lights in the basement, which are on a dimmer, go from low to high fast (mind you all of the rest of the family was upstairs in what we call the family room). I went to go check in on my lil boys as I do everynight & come to find out that one of my lil guys was snuggled up in his fav blanket like he was a coccoon. There is no way he could do that himself. We have also had the light in our bedroom turn on between 1-3am. Our light in our room is on a ceiling fan & is remote controlled or pull chain. The remote is left most of the time on my husbands dresser. None of our 3 children whom sleep upstairs can reach it. I would just like to get some answers. I have not sensed it was negative up until these scratches I got. I poured peroxiode on it & it bubbled up & burned so bad-whatever scratched me definately want clean. Please help. Thanks.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
One last thing:

I believe this house is near the ever so popular legend of "Sunrise Park" which I referred to in my first post. Basically Sunrise Park is owned by the Bartlett park district. There is a legend that you can hear screams from children in the woods. Something about a man killing his kids a long time ago. It is also said you find "little bones" in the area. Some people around here believe it, some dismiss it as a local urban legend.

Perhaps the OPs home was near this park?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
whitebuffalo:

I did a little research. There is a good chance there could be burial grounds in Hanover Park which is near Bartlett. There is also a Bartlett cemetery... But I don't think that is much help. I believe Bartlett is part of Cook County, IL and Hanover Park might be Cook or Dupage County
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-05)
I may be making you go a little nuts thinking back in your mind, or asking you to confirm with someone who was old enough at the time to recall an address, but is it possible, CorradoGuy21 that this house was on Buckingham Drive? Or could it have been Chippendale?
There are so many cul de sacs in that area, and off to the front left of Centennial Elementary it is hard to tell just how accurate your memory to be.
😉 I DID get a few "leads", but the interesting story is going to have to wait until I get the right house. Seems as if that neighbor hood had quite a... History my friend and it really had very little to do with Natives.
Looking forward to your helps!
Thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
Thank you BOTH, CorradoGuy21 and hobbyholly. I appreciate all the extra helps! I would say with that spelling and the description of the place, I should have no problems finding it.
I will get back with you just as soon as I find something (or nothing for that matter). 😆
Thank you.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
Corrado: thanks for the feedback. Do you remember the street name or cul-de-sac name by any chance? I know you were young... Just curious.

Whitebuffalo: I don't think there is a Bartlet, IL. There is however a BartleTT, IL. So, if you do go "googling" the town's name make sure you put those two Ts in there.
CorradoGuy21 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
hey guys thanks for reading, ill try and answer your questions, although it might be hard fir some of them since I was only 5,k first, white buffalo, if it still is there, its in bartlet illinois, not too far from either centennial or bi-centennial school, if you look for the school on gogle its near there, this might help too, it had a cul de sac out front of it and to the left of it, as far as why the guy would board up the windows, I don't really know, maybe he HAS something to do with the voices, but I can tell you for one thing, I'm very happy we got out of that house. Not only that but there were rats there lol. K question number 2,cosmogal926,since I was only abotu 5 I don't really have too clear a memory of what happened, my brother was brave indeed, and he mostly just wanted to get me out of harms way, question number 3,hobby holly, we don't live in the area anymore, since my parents divorce I have moved quite a few times, I now reside in lyons illinois, and leme tell you, I'm happy I'm not back in that house. Thanks for reading guys if you have any more questions ill try to answer em:)
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
Eek! 😨 That is so scary the man Laughing is really cruel. At least you don't have to go to that house anymore. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-02)
How very, very interesting.
As you no longer are residing in that house, would it be too forward of me to ask you what city this house is in? I would be interested in learning if there were others who have either rented, or purchased the home to have similar experiences.
Also, I always am drawn to these burial ground hauntings as I am a firm believer in it not mattering what type of burial ground it is. Being an Indian burial land does not bring a special power TO the land. I would like to do a bit of research on it, if you do not mind.
I am curious also on why the previous owner would put blankets on the windows, and basically board himself up INSIDE the house, if all of the noise was coming from within.
I feel a road trip coming on.
Any information you can recall would be helpful.
Thank you.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-02)
Great story, and thank you for sharing it with us. I'm glad you and your family moved before the activity got worse. If you were still living there it might not have been just the garage that burnt down. You could have lost the house, personal belongings, or worse. Do you have any memory of what happened that made you cry when your brother went in the basement to tell the spirit to leave? The kitchen cabinets opening and dishes being broken could be proof of poltergeist activity. I have to say your brother was very brave to do what he did. 😊
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-02)
Interesting. I may have read somewhere briefly about burial grounds near a silo? Or I could have two different accounts mushed together.

I've heard stories about "Sunrise Park" and Munger Rd (which I'm inclined to be just an urban legend) in Bartlett.

I'm slightly familiar with the town (I have/had family in Elgin/St.Charles). Do you still live in the area?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: