You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Famous Anchorage Ghost 2

Real Ghost Stories

The Famous Anchorage Ghost 2

 

I decided to write part 2 because I'd left some important facts out in the first story as I was trying to hurry (bad idea).

I hadn't submitted the story at first because I was trying to get more history on George (the ghost in part 1) and on the restaurant. It had happened so long ago that my memory on those two things was a bit hazy. It seems George worked for the 'Sportsmans Tavern', as it was originally known, back in the 1940's and 50's. Back then there was a lot of illegal gambling going on and George was the bookkeeper for these events. It was rumored that he was "skimming" or embezzling money from these activities and that his death was either a suicide by gun upstairs in the office OR a murder that went unsolved or was covered up. I tried to find any information about those two theories through the town's Historical Society and local police station but neither one had any more info on it than what I've already stated. All they could tell me was "the rumor".

The Sportsmans Tavern was built in 1946 and was owned by Andy Devine. Andy Devine was famous for his role as 'Jingles' on the "Wlld Bill Hickock" television series. That's all I could get on the history of the building.

One thing I do know, he's (George) not as active as he used to be, that's for sure. It seemed like there was always something going on with that guy when my mom managed the place. One night, when I wasn't working, my sister Sheila was getting ready to refill the salt and pepper shakers and she couldn't find the bag of salt she had just set on the bar. She told me she looked down, and on the floor was a trail of salt leading to the stairs. She got my mom from the back room, where she was doing the breakage count for the bar, and showed her this trail. Mom and Sheila followed the trail to the top of the stairs where the bag was now sitting. This time my mom just laughed about it and they went back to doing whatever they were before that happened.

Another night, I was working the upstairs dining room with one other waitress and I'd just unloaded the clean glasses and silverware from the dumbwaiter. I set both on the long counter top to the left of the open dumbwaiter and walked back out to the dining room to finish cleaning off a table. The waitress was talking to the customers at another table the entire time and besides the customers at the table that she was talking to, there was no one else upstairs. There was only the one set of stairs leading up to the dining room at this time and no one had come up. I returned to get some clean silver and glasses for the clean table and the entire tray of glasses was gone! The silver was right where I'd left it so it made no sense. I called to the other waitress and she said she hadn't been back there in ten minutes. Then she says to check my mom's office because sometimes George puts them there. I walked into the office and there they were sitting on her desk, still on the tray. I picked them up and went back to what I was doing. That's how commonplace the activity was then.

These days they get spooked because the old Sportmans hanging sign above the bar starts swinging on it's own now and then, or a beer bottle falls off the bar for no reason. They've had psychics in, and I guess a local paranormal group has spent a night or two there recently and came away with some interesting EVPs, but nothing like the stuff that used to go on back then. Of course, it has been 30 years.

One last note, I tried to reach the paranormal group that investigated the place. Three emails and two messages on their answering machine later, they still never saw fit to call or write back. Oh well, I say. I tried.

Other hauntings by Javelina

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Javelina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Apfelkorn (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
It's a shame there isn't a third story on this ghostly place. Very interesting.
AppleSauce27 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
Excellent follow up. Thanks for the backstory, and for doing your research. Way to many people post bogus stories, only to be outed in the end for lack of research.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
-1
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
πŸ˜† I got nuthin' to get hot about! LOL!

Fifty characters 505050
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
And just to drive what I was actually implying there home, he was the one who corrected Lou over his spelling. So sit back and chill, would you?

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
I don't know what you are implying that I am implying. I have corrected people over the spelling before granny. Ask Cefelelion.

Jav

Sorry, not enough time for web surfing, I have nearly gone past my limit for computer time as it is tonight. Maybe next time.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
JavE: I don't know exactly what it is you're implying with that last statement... Oh wait, yes I do... So before you jump the gun, you may want to peruse this website:

Http://www.warrenrome-authorofthemacabre.com
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-09-16)
Exo Exo Exo,

I know you have been waiting for my reply to your question regarding humor. You will have to excuse my tardiness in this matter as I had eye surgery last week and have not yet been cleared by my physician to spend the amount of time at the computer I would need to do the topic justice.
However, I happened to see your last post before it was deleted. From that post I have deduced you are no stranger to having a good laugh at the expense of others. You may have protested the humor of others, but your protests rang hollow once you joined in the fun, as proof to all that you really don't mind the tit for tat. So with that in mind, I will tailor my humor accordingly.
(let me remind you that at one point I did attempt to stop this train, but you saw no reason to do so)

The question was posed by you as to how we could find humor in the title of your book "GLORY HOLE". How indeed...

To be continued...

Jav

(you may want to check the spelling I use for the short version of my alias, your last post, the one that was deleted, used granny's version. Several times)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-09-15)
Rook,
I have to say "kudos" to you for your 'tongue in cheek' response to the Exoskeleton. You made me smile with that one. Too bad the responses were removed, huh? Well... Not for good though, not really. Miracles gave me a wonderful piece of advice a long time ago, she said 'the best way to keep track of things is to be fast at copy/pasting, you never know when something is going to disappear on you' (I am paraphrasing here, but you get the idea).
His last response was deleted, but it was too good not to copy/paste. As soon as I saw it come up I knew I simply must have it in my files. I know, it may be a weird hobby, but it has paid off in the past.

Anyway, since I promised my doctor I would be good and not stay too long on the computer for the first week, I have to 'post and run' for a while. The guy gave me back my sight, and there's no way I am going to mess that up. As soon as I am cleared by him, I'll be back and reading the experiences like always.

Talk to soon,
Jav

I CAN SEE! BOTH EYES!
DEPTH PERCEPTION AND EVERYTHING!
(and now I leave so I may do my happy dance) 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Sorry Indigo,
Don't mean to post and run, but... Well, I am doing just that. I'll be back later.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
I do know for a fact that they perform weddings there because my daughter is thinking about getting married there as well.

Jav πŸ˜‰
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
Indigo!
Over here, at the haunted bar. πŸ˜†
I actually know of one near me. (as does the rest of the world)
I am glad I dragged my butt out of bed now. I've been sleeping since right after I saw you this morning.
Loooong week!

Jav 😁
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-14)
As requested I've brought this over to this experience so that we may continue our discussion...

I have enjoyed this discourse with such an esteemed published Author as you Exocistfan. It as been most enlightening and, at times, intriguing and I have found that refreshing.

In a recent comment you mentioned many different individuals; your exact words were...

"However, as Rook correctly states, she or he, has read many books and has the paranormal / occult expertise / beliefs that loyd Auerbach, William Roll, Christopher Chacon, Alistair Crowley, David Wells, la Vey or even Elizabeth Demdyke! Could only wish to have."

Impressive list, two published parapsychologist (Auerdach-who is also a psychic entertainer and professional chocolatier (yum). And Roll (many books on Poltergeist/RSPK). Aleister Crowley (occultist, mystic and founder of the Philosophy of Thelema) who was a 'pansexual, recreational drug using social critic who promoted 'Do What Thou Wilt' which brings us to Anton LaVey (not la Vey) Founder of the Church of Satan (influenced by the teachings of Mr. Crowley) and last but not least Elizabeth Demdike (real last name Southerns) who was in her late 70's early 80's when she and other members of her family were tried for witchcraft and executed in the year 1612. I must admit I couldn't place Mr. (Dr.?) David Wells, sorry it seems I'm not as well read as such an esteemed published Author as yourself, I missed one.

I've only ever offered my advice and/or suggestions as to what individuals may be experiencing based on my experience, which includes any research I may have done in the course of my life (45 years now). I'm shocked that such an esteemed published Author as yourself seems to think I have the experience and expertise of the afore mentioned individuals. I do feel I must set the record straight on something you asked, I am not a 'Dwarf' nor am I female. As far as Haunting these 'pages', what can I say except third shift is not any fun, and I have more time on my hands than assigned tasked to complete during my shift at work.

I thank you for the link provided, I only wish it contained references to the Authors reference materials... I read what I could and statements like...

"As a follower of Christ," (interesting I am one as well) "I have heard about many Christians around the world who are awakened at around 2:30 or 3A.M. To pray or for spiritual warfare. 3A.M. Is also a time for intense activities among Wiccans, Satanists, Criminals, broken people, thieves and for Demonic Activities..."

A bit later on the Author goes on to say this...

"This book is not meant to answer all the questions surrounding 3A.M. Events but to give a Biblical and personal view of how 3A.M. Is relevant to prayer and battle."

Statements like that made me wonder why you included it as our entire 'exchange' has been based on if the 3A.M. Phenomenon is a 'world wide' and historic belief. Once again, despite a link being provided, no 'proof' of this 'time' having any true significant 'meaning' as anything other than being a 'scary' time of the night has occured. Something an esteemed published Author such as you must understand is this, without anything to research I have to fall back on what I know, and what I know is this 20 to 25 years ago when I was studying and actively practicing witchcraft I never came across anything or anyone that placed any special significance on the time 3A.M. I thought I had made that fact clear, but sense an esteemed published Author as yourself missed that fact I hope that this explains what I meant by saying I had never 'heard' of this phenomenon. Though I did notice it was becoming popular in Horror Fiction and Sensationalized in Hollywood Horror Movies which we all know are 'BASED ON TRUE EVENTS AND/OR STORIES'. So I must conclude, again because I have no books or links that provide any research proving this time is anything but 'late at night/early in the morning' my opinion remains unswayed. Surely such an esteemed published Author as yourself will understand this fact.

Now I feel I must address something else you have recently stated. You have mentioned a couple of times that you come here and read the experiences, and that it seems many of them just seem to be stories, and I can agree with that, you also must know that between the MODS and the 10-15 regulars that always seem to post were pretty good at calling out the fictions, something an esteemed published Author as yourself surely understand. However you made this statement not so long ago...

"That's why it makes me laugh when people refer their 'problems; to the likes of Jav Akorah and because I question this..."

I have never seen anyone post an experience that clearly stated "Jav I need help!" or "Jav, please give me your opinion." Each experience is published on its own merits, with the Author selecting their expectations concerning it. Some seek advice and/or help, some just need the reassurance that they are not going crazy and of course there are those people who feel the need to 'tell a whopper' and choose YGS for this purpose. In this manner many different possibilities and points of view can be gathered in the comments and the O/P can pick and choose which ones they feel are best for them. However I would have thought such an avid reader of these experiences, being the esteemed published Author that you are, would have realized this as well and would never have had to make such a statement.

I hope peace can happen between us, I hope any misunderstandings have been cleared away and we can move on. Again, thanks for the stimulating conversation you have provided; it's always a privilege to chat with such an esteemed published Author as yourself.

Respectfully,

Rook

LNTP
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-03)
[at] Night_Vampire,
Thank you for reading my stories. I'm glad to see others still take an interest.

Jav
Night_Vampire (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
Hi, Jav.
I like reading your all stories so very much... I must say you write stories with much intrest, so I love reading your all stories but this one is BEST dear jav ❀ 😁

(night_vampire)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Hey Tex!
You came back. Cool. I am trying to put some stuff together for a story about the Knickerbocker Mansion. I babysat there as a teen.

Jav
Texasroper (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Ok I remember the big bear hauntings at knickerbockers during the sixty and sure kept us kids spooked I know it was real
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
And of course I can't forget about Martin...

~~Outlaw Troll meets Mr. M~~

"I believe I smell a smudging"
Thought Mr M as he was rolling into town.
He'd heard about a price list,
And he's come to shoot it down.

But the outlaw isn't budging,
He thinks his list will stay.
Just waiting for the smoke to clear,
So he can earn his pay.

"It's hard to see with all this smoke"
Cried the outlaw so begrudged.
"Too late! I shot it down you troll!
It's Official. You've been smudged."

"You should have read the rules, troll.
You see, I get annoyed"
"Now get your butt on outta here!
Before I send you to the Void."

Somewhere a lonely whistle blows,
Somewhere the moon rides high.
Somewhere the outlaw hangs his head
His price list at his side.

Jav πŸ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
The Ballad of zzgranny

It was just a normal day at YGS
Every one of us getting along
When out of nowhere a spark goes up
And granny says "Now what's wrong?"

A newbie is throwing a hissy-fit
And flailing their arms in the air
Screaming how we all are full of it
Our comments, she says, are "not fair"

Then granny steps in and says with a grin,
"Now Taylor, you know the drill.
You can no longer fool us, so knock off the fuss.
Your fiction is unwelcome still"

Then Taylor decided to push it
She didn't care who she annoyed
Then quick as a snap, came a loud thunderclap!
As granny sent her to the 'Void'

So don't mess with granny, you nasty old trolls.
Don't push her and don't make her mad.
We like when she's funny, and her smile is sunny.
But cross her, and brother you're had!

Jav πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Just ignore the next few posts from me please. I am merely transferring some of my past "tunes" onto this thread so I don't lose them.
Thank you,
Jav

To be sung in the tune of "Oh Suzannah"
Oooooh...
I'm Zozo, Zozo,
Zozo the demon clown.
And if you want to see me,
Just bring the Ouija board 'round.
I'll jump out and possess you,
And make you throw a fit.
Gnashing teeth and bloodied fangs,
I'll treat your friends like sh**!
And if you have a yearnin',
To write more of this crap,
I'll set your hair to burnin'
And douse it with a slap!
So don't you mess with Zozo
For he will smack you down
And squash you like the bug you are...
He's Zozo the demon clown!

Jav
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
I don't know, Whitebuffalo just posted advice that's all, I know she was very passionate about it all and I think some people just got the wrong impression off her, nobody had to take it to heart, there is a lot of strong personalities on this site, a lot of the WB'S advice was pretty basic and traditional also.

I know that their were altercations between herself and some of my friends here, and until this day I am still truthfully unaware of what this is. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here I have never really argued with anybody on this site over the last I don't know what 4 years now, and neither have I lost face to anyone either!😊 Lol I find these little chats quite healthy! πŸ˜†
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Javelina asked me first about my involvement with white buffalo; I took the opportunity to find out what happened to her.

I did not know that white buffalo had "dirty laundry" to air until zzsgranny referred to it as such.

If it is that painful or distasteful for you all to discuss, I understand. If anyone does want to say what happened, I for one would be interested in hearing about it.

Regarding the ToS: The responsibility regarding advisement goes both ways; whether or not white buffalo's advice "worked" is beside the point.

A person may go to their doctor complaining of feeling listless, having no interest in life, feeling suicidal, etc. The doctor may diagnose and successfully treat this patient for depression, and the patient, because they trust the doctor, accept the treatment without question.

But there are, in fact, many physical illnesses that can result in depression. It is those somatic causes that should be treated, then the depression will clear on it's own.

White buffalo was like a doctor that gives people xanax for depression, without ever realizing that the depression may stem from thyroid disease, or early onset Alzheimer's, or any number of physical ailments. The immediate problem may be solved, but the causative one lingers.

The worst part is that white buffalo gave this advice less to help others than to aggrandize herself. Her motivation lie in her wish to appear knowledgeable and be admired, not to help people.

White buffalo, precisely because she was well-regarded and trusted, had the responsibility to give sound, well-thought-out advice, just as posters here had the responsibility to take it or leave it as suited them.

So I stand by my assessment of her.
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Hi Javelina,

Instead of following you guy's in what ever you are talking about I rather choose to respond to the posted sharing here which I thought again was wonderful to read. Great stuff!

Does your mother still visit the place? I guess if she not longer does Georges must have lost his interest in the whole deal and therefore has switched to making plenty less action.

Greetings,
Peter. πŸ˜•
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Jave: I have nothing to fear... Let go of your paranoia for a minute will you?...I'm not trying to bury anything, and you can bring it up and rewrite it as many times as you want, if you want... Nobody's stopping you...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Wow! Keep it going guys, I'm sure it will all be buried beneath your comments soon enough. The tactic does work now and then, I have seen it before. Many times. Especially when trying to cover up truths you are uncomfortable with. Too bad. Because it serves merely as a reflection onto your own fears.
Good luck with that, and good night.

Jav
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
is all good Granny, been a long time sence you've had to write it:) alright, back to story hunting... 😐
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
kardAgEn: I knew that LOL πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Fifty characters fifty characters
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
galleygal,
Thank you for responding. There are far too many situations similar to the one you describe that occur even now. Too often these are simply accepted as a paranormal experiences when there has been no attempt made to investigate any outside causes for what the poster claims to have occurred. Even now I have seen sleep paralysis accepted as a paranormal event, and have that diagnosis go challenged in deference to the reputation of the poster making it. I count myself guilty as one who was too late to the party on that one. But it still bothers me that it was done at all.
And thank you for asking the question. I needed that.

Jav

I'll be off now, have a good evening. 😁
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Granny, A before G followed by E, kardAgEn 😜 least you remember not to capitalize it. Ironic that I would go along with the terms of use with out having read them... πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
kardegan: You took the words right out of my mouth...Many, many times the "spinkle salt" advice was/is tempered with other advice... It is up to the individual to take whatever advice they choose...It's in the "Terms of Use" that no one seems to bother to read:
"Disclaimer regarding Professional Advice
Your use of the Site is at your own risk. The relationship between you and YourGhostStories.com is not a physician-patient relationship or a psychotherapist-patient relationship or a priest-penitent relationship. The YourGhostStories.com Content contains information, data, advice, text and other materials compiled from a variety of third party sources. YourGhostStories.com in no way endorses any of these materials, which are provided for your convenience, and are solely intended to broaden user understanding and knowledge of various topics.

Nothing contained in the Site is intended to be, and must not be taken to be, the practice of medicine, including, without limitation, psychology, psychiatry, or psychotherapy, or providing health care advice or instruction for diagnosis or treatment. YourGhostStories.com does not recommend the self-management of health or mental health problems, and the YourGhostStories.com Content is not exhaustive and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical or mental conditions or their treatments. You should never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the Site."

That point aside, if discrediting her brings you solice, then by all means have at it... Just don't try to lure "those involved" into your dirty laundry airing party...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
galleygal - "whitebuffalo" herself has been gone from this site long enough that there have only been 3 or 4 people that I can remember, you being 1 of them, that have even asked about her. I do, though, believe a couple of them were aliasesπŸ˜‰

She did help people, myself included. She duped a lot of us, again myself included, but I don't see the point in discrediting someone (whitebuffalo) who no longer is a member of this site.

Before anyone misunderstands, or chooses to misunderstand, no...I'm not a friend of whitebuffalo's. That friendship ended a long time ago.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: