You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Out To Sea On The Lady Lex

Real Ghost Stories

Out To Sea On The Lady Lex

 

Before I tell this story I want to say I am just an ordinary man, stationed on the USS Lexington in the early eighties, I happened on find this site fooling around on the Lex's website. This is the one and only story I have about paranormal activity, and frankly it is one to many for me.

Stationed on the Lex as a Hull Tech working in the ship fitter shop, my duties included sound and security watches. This consists of checking levels of fluid in voids deep in the ships belly. Watches of course were 24-7.

One night on the dog watch I was checking voids down deep, four ladders down next to old artillery compartments, now empty due to our job as an aviation trainer, we needed no artillery. Well, middle of the night, half asleep, I worked my down the ladders, it wasn't uncommon to feel different temperatures, the old tub was quite drafty, but I got hit with a crazy chill. I have heard "funny noises" before but paid attention to my job, and got out of there without much thought. I honestly cannot remember the date, but heard scuttlebutt of an anniversary of a big battle. It was a long time ago and don't remember dates, and can count on one hand how many times I told anyone this story.

Well as I descended down the ladder I felt, I don't how to relay the feeling, I guess an ominous feeling, I was overwhelmed with thinking of my mom, I really wasn't even real close to my mom, but all I could see was her face, she was talking real urgent like, I shook it off and went about my duty. It only takes a few seconds to drop the sounding tape down a tube, read the fluid level, write it down and leave. By the time I was done I could here men screaming through the bulkhead, my nose literally locked up from a horrible smell. I know the smell of burnt flesh, and that was it. My head was swimming and I was doing my best to think straight, confusion was like forcing its way into my head, as I headed up the ladder something was stopping my left leg from taking the next rung, I looked down and out of the hatch an arm, black with soot, rolled up sleeve was grabbing my leg. I yanked my leg so hard and ran up that ladder faster than humanly possible. My hair tingled and I had to look to make sure I didn't pee. On that ladder, I saw my pant leg move as if someone was holding it. I had a buddy do the rest of my watch that night; I think I paid him twenty bucks. I told him I was sick. To prevent hassle, I never told anyone the truth. The rest of my time on that ship I heard noises but nothing like that.

Thanks for reading my story and I promise it's true to the word.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, charlesmaxson, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Paul1 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-06-10)
Yeah I believe you, my mom worked as an engraver for the Navy Yard in Brooklyn, NY and she saw lots of ships come home all messed up and the poor sailors all wounded bad.
She had lots of tales of haunted ships and places around the yards.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-28)
charlesmaxson - if you want to find that Ghost hunters footage, I would say try and pull up youtube, and type in for it to search ghost hunters, and the ship name. That may find the footage.

Sorry I found this story about 2 months after you made that comment.

Peace
JustCurious
charlesmaxson (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-19)
How can I find the ghost hunters bit on the Lex. I would absolutly love to see that. Being an ornamental iron blacksmith I'm not great with computer.
charlesmaxson (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-19)
I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but I would like to reply to vulcan.I'm not close to my mom because I've just never been close to anyone, youngest of five will do that, we talk alot. I called her when I got to port. I did not tell her the story for a few reasons. I didn't want to worry her, and didn't want to think I was crazy. I did notice she asked more questions than normal and said be careful like ten times. I honestly believe she was aware of something. I had to stand that watch many more times, so I really was trying to pretend it didn't happen. Looking back on it, I must have looked pretty comical slamming hatches, making as much noise as possible before going down ladders, letting them know I was coming.
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-19)
Incredible. And chilling. There would have been some very desperate scenes onboard that ship during WW2. Those brave men. And you! Very interesting.
huendchen (49 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-19)
This scared the crap out of me! 😨 A burned hand grabbing your leg - horrifying! What a nightmare you experienced! This USS Lexington sounds fascinating though. Off to google it now.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your encounter. I firmly believe the entire account. I am suprised there are not more of the occrances in and on places like the Lex (or maybe there are and we just do not hear about them) with all the residual energy that remains after altercations and or battles and such.

God Bless!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-18)
Wow! This is the second story this week that has me trying to catch my breath at the end. The visual imagery was right on the money, I saw it happen in my mind, so I'm pleased with that. I have to agree about the time-slip theory, with the smells and feeling someone grab your leg only to look down and find you were right, it just seems to fit.
Thank you for sharing too.
Grimm-Reaper24 (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
i can't tell you how many stories I've heard about paranormal experiences on the lexington, most of them were from my uncle since he was a chief petty officer that was actually stationed aboard the lexington. He told me stories where he saw the guns being fired when no order was given out, stories of seeing torpedoes being launched towards the ship and the ship shaking aggressively as if it were actually hit. The smell of burning and rotting corpses, black shadowy masses and figures appearing in doorways and glowing eyes staring at him from underneath slightly opened hatches.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
I agree with lazria, and believe you were experiencing one of the men's last thoughts when that attack happened. I watched the episode of Ghost Hunters when they investigated the USS Lexington and they did mention that attack and how many of the crew were badly burned and died from the explosion. You had quite an experience, one that would have definitely freaked me out 😨 Thank you for sharing this with us.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
im not surprised you say this was one experience to many that would have been a horrid thing to go through.
Thanks for posting.
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
Wow that goes well with some of the things the tour guide told us when I went to the Lex. When I was 16,

That sounds like what my friend calls time slipping where a anniversary of a traumatic event coupled with a strong physic sense can cause a hole to open in time. His theory not mine.
lazria (9 stories) (82 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
If it indeed was some entity, then perhaps you picked up the last thoughts of some sailor during some past accident onboard the ship. You aren't the first nor the last sailor who has experienced "strange events" onboard various military ships.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
did you ask your mom about it later? If she was thinking of you or had a dream about you at the same time? I couldn't conceive of not being close to my mom. Hope you patched things up.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: