You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghostly Encounter On The Sea

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Encounter On The Sea

 

I must have been around 15 when my grandfather took me out in his small boat to go fishing at night. It was in 1959 in Mauritius.

Life was hard but we were happy and the sea was full of resources. Fishes, lobsters, crayfish, etc... And I enjoyed fishing (I still enjoy it). However, even though I shared the same passion as my grandpa, we were not the best friends. He was very harsh sometimes abusive, mainly when he would drink but I could make it with him. It was another story with my dad.

Anyway, we took the sea in his small boat of 24 feet with a heavy and noisy fuel engine at around 5pm and had hope of bringing as much fish as possible by the end of the night. We left from a place called Albion, which is on the west coast of Mauritius. My grandpa used to work as a postman but left his job to become a fisherman by passion. My dad took over his former job.

The sea was calm and the air was slightly warm. Usually it means that it would rain but the sky was fair almost clear. We could see the stars and the moon came up after the sunset.

We reached the place my grandpa knew was fishy and we started. We did not talk much only when we needed something. We were not too far from the coast, maybe 3 or 4 kms away. We were in the open sea above what we call in french a "haut fond". It's a part of the sea floor bed which raises close to the sea surface and where fishes come to feed. It's very fishy.

We had been fishing for a good 4 hours and had caught a fair amount of fish. We did not realize but the current had made us drift away and we discovered that we had been pulled quite far from the coast. Grandpa tried to start the engine but it did not trigger. He tried again and again and again but nothing happened. Fortunately, the sea had remain calm. But the swells were much bigger and quite scary. In those days, we were not equipped for security as we are today. No radio, cells or life jackets. You had to fight for your life. The boat drifted another hour. We had stop fishing and were trying to figure out what to do and what would happen. All kind of dark thoughts got hold of me and I imagined myself dying of thirst on the boat in the middle of the sea or stumble out of the boat, rocked by a big wave and drowning in these dark waters full of scary creatures.

Suddenly, we started to hear music. It sounded like music from the 40's. We looked around and there was no boat or whatsoever. The coast was now quite far, maybe 7 to 8 kms and it was impossible that music from the coast would be heard by us. The atmosphere was eerie. Then the sound of music became louder with sound of people talking, exactly like it would during a cocktail. We tried to look for a ship but there was none around. There was no mist and the sky was fair. We were even under the first or last quarter moon light which was now high in the sky. We started to panic.

Now, try to imagine what it is like to feel lost on the sea at night plus starting to face spooky things. The "cocktail sound" became closer and there was still nothing around. Grandpa was fighting now against the engine to start it. The party sound stopped and we could now hear whispers all around us. We hardly talked to each other, just looked at each other to understand that we were experiencing the same things.

I could not understand what was being said but there were male and female voices in the whispers. My stomach was so tight with fear that it was sore and my neck was hard like a stick. I felt like becoming feverish from fear. I got hold of the cable of the engine and pulled as hard as I could to start it. The whispers were becoming very scary and we had to leave that place. Suddenly the engine started and grandpa pushed me back and grabbed the throttle. We shot straight to the coast surfing on the waves. I wonder if grandpa checked for reefs when coming back so much we wanted to flee this place.

We eventually made it after almost an hour. The whispers had stayed behind. We were so scared when we reached the beach that we forgot all our fish in the boat. We came back in the morning and the fish had started to rotten. We lost about 75kgs of fish that day and never got to know what we encountered.

The strangest thing is that there are not known shipped which wrecked

In that area and no other fishermen experienced what we lived. Some have encountered weird animals and others think they saw ghosts floating above the water, but not in the same area and nothing of the same nature.

Other hauntings by Cafelelion

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cafelelion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-09-13)
That's terrifying. I know this story is seven years old and there isn't much of a chance that the OP will see my comment.
It makes my blood run cold to imagine being adrift in a small boat even without the music and the whispering. 😨
ErickYanez (4 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-09-08)
Hi there, Cafelelion!

I'm Erick, and I'm a producer for a podcast called Spooked which focuses on paranormal experiences and the people who lived them. You can hear it in our website: https://spookedpodcast.org

We're looking for stories for our current season, and I think this one is truly compelling and frightening! I would love to talk with you over skype or phone.

Please don't hesitate to write back to me if you have any question on how we can work this out.

Best,
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
Probably something bad happened aboard some sort of pleasure cruise in that area during the forties, not necessarily a shipwreck. Thank you for your stories.
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Hi unexplained,

Mauritius being situated in the south of the indian ocean, there have never been any war ships sunk there, at least nothing known. The only wrecks around Mauritius are from the 17th to 19th century, nothing very recent.
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Hi happyspirit,

This did not happen near Riambel but on the west coast. Indeed, Riambel is quite an eerie place and there are regularly some weird occurrences there, like mysterious lights, noises, apparitions, etc... The south coast is still quite wild and there are still things happening. But this event was quite unique. Never heard about a similar event.
Cafelelion (12 stories) (30 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Hi javelina,

As I remember this, the whispers were all around us, like in the boat and out of the boat. We were like in the middle of a crowd whispering around us and the crowd was like much bigger than our boat. The weirdest thing is that we could not understand a clue of what was being said. Very creepy. It gives me chills writing this down even after more than 50 years. I would not like to live such an event again.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Another great story.

You said 1940s music? Could it have been music from the war? Had a boat been torpedoed in that area?

Would be interesting to research and see if a boat was suddenly sunk there.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
This was a really great story, I'm putting it in my favorites. The ocean can be so spooky because its so vast, dark and unforgiving. I'm glad you made it back ok, sorry about the fish! What a waste! I can understand music sound waves being carried over the ocean, but the whispers are quite creepy. Thanks for sharing!
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Excellent story! You had me hooked on that one! 😉
Sounds like the Ghost Yacht people were out to do a little fishing of their own and maybe pull in a few hapless fishermen. Seriously though, are you located anywhere near Riambel? After reading your story I Googled "energy vortex" and Maritius and came up with some hits that mentioned this area. Reason I include this question - your experience reminded me of the classical "Bermuda Triangle" or "Devil's Triangle" seagoing experiences where sailors get pulled into areas where equipment doesn't work and paranormal events occur. These areas on the globe don't always produce such phenomenon and are supposed to be found in some kind of grid formation over the Earth, perhaps caused by the Earth's magnetism. I am not an expert on this but I find the whole subject fascinating.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-17)
Another excellent, eerie tale! I enjoy your writings and hope to read more. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
Cafelelion,
When I saw the title I simply had to come read the story attached. I am so glad I did too. What a mystery this must have been for you. And a wonder as well. When you said you heard the whispers were all around you, do you mean they felt like they were next to you on the boat? That had to be quite a chilling experience! The thought of being out there in the dark of night scares me enough as it is.
This one goes to my favorites!

Jav

Thank you for sharing Cafelelion! 😁
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-16)
Wow, you are an expert story teller. Thanks, you managed to transport me out of my boredom for a while.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: