You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Library Girl

Real Ghost Stories

The Library Girl

 

I experienced something very odd when I was in primary school. I attended, as a kid, a small village school called Woodseaves Primary. It's located in the west-midlands of England. This happened 5 years ago.

I was in year 5 at the time, 10 years old and towards the end of the academic year. In our class, if you had finished reading a book in the morning, you'd have to take it back to the library, which was a new construction in the school (4 years old at the time), attached to the hall. I'd just finished a book this particular day, and so, I went to get a new one.

I went through the doors to the library, and saw this little girl, probably about two years younger than me (eight), her back towards me, reading a book. She was the only person in the room. I noticed she was crying, so I asked "What's the matter". A delayed 3 or so seconds later, she turned around. I don't know why, but she just really startled me, and her appearance was quite shocking. She had short, ginger hair, tangled and matted, with glasses on which looked like they were from around the 70's or 80's, John Lennon like, she has bruises all along one side of her face. I couldn't see much of what she was wearing, but it was some kind of petty-coat, navy blue and white, I can't recall whether it was the blouse which was white or whether it was the over-dress. She had little lace-up boots on too. I didn't recognize her as a child from our school, and as it was a tiny village school, I knew the names of every kid.

This is all I can remember of her, it is quite a lot; because I stared at her for about ten whole seconds before realizing something was very wrong. It was the way she was staring at me, and the feeling in the room, which was so un-nerving. She wouldn't say anything, and just kept staring. I dropped the book and ran back out of the library to my classroom, passing a younger boy on the way.

When I got to the classroom, my classmates seemed quite shocked, because I was apparently, very pale and startled looking. I didn't speak to anyone until lunch, when my friend began to grow concerned about me.

I told him "Don't laugh, but I think I've seen a ghost," and he asked whether it was "a girl with ginger hair and glasses wearing clothes which aren't our school uniform, bruises all down her face," and I replied "yes", and he told me about how his brother had seen the same girl about the time when the library was opened. I didn't really discuss this any further.

When I got home, my brother was also concerned, because I'd been crying, so I told him. He asked whether anyone else was in the library, and I told him about the boy I'd passed who was going to the library. The next day, my brother asked this boy whether he'd seen her too (bear in mind he was about 5 seconds away from the door when I left) and said he saw no one in there.

These were the only two people I told (my friend and brother) for about three years; I was too frightened to tell anyone - it had affected me quite badly. I'd never go into the library alone, I'd cry about it, and even being in the hall alone was un-nerving. But now, I've told two other friends, my parents, Aunt and recently, my English class, and have decided to let others know now that my brother has left the school.

I believe the school is haunted. Other children and teachers admit to having seen things; even my younger cousin, who also saw something in the library. Even the very skeptical Head-master has seen something, just won't admit it's a ghost. All of the figures seen by other people (apart from the person seen by the Head) have been children, and on occasion, teachers.

The only thing I don't understand is how she appeared in this new construction and reacted to my voice. I'd always believed that ghosts are natural replays of previous events, but to me, this proves otherwise. I don't know what to think, but perhaps you can make something of it otherwise. I'd never believed in ghosts before this happened, but now I can't help but think that there are things we can't explain out there.

Thanks for taking your time to read,

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, motorquest, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sn69 (6 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-20)
did look like a child abuse, indeed... Anyway nice writing...😁
Regards & respects to you
Sn69
softballplayer15 (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-23)
Do you know how she died? I really want to know, I think she probably died by being abused
CheekyLizzy (3 stories) (7 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
Maybe, the little girl got buried under where the new construction was built. And so it startled her, awoke her, and now is haunting the school. And the bruises on her face could of been the way she died, maybe been battered to death? Most the time if they were killed in a violent matter, their souls are lost and hurt, and often they come back as ghosts, as negative ghosts.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
Or perhaps she is a lost soul trapped in her little corner of perdition for whatever heartless reason existence has condemned her to.

Now if you were in the same condition, what would you do? Probably go quite mad. And after a number of years of being 'shunned' by the living, someone actually manages to perceive you, what would your reaction be?

Probably just like hers.
TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-06)
if teachers and students have seen this why the f*ck won't they shut the school down?
Dont they know it can really harm a childs confidence
Also I'm from the west midlands!
ThePyschicOne (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-25)
Yea, 40s sounds about right.

For me, encountering ghosts that do no harm is cool.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-25)
I have been thinking, a child with short matted hair, glasses like John Lennon (granny classes) lace up boots, sounds like a child from early 40's late 30's. Wasnt Staffordshire a destination for children from the major cities in "operation pied piper" during World War II? For some reason, I keep getting the image of a young child from that era, that time. I read up on it and sadly, many of those children were recalled home too early when parents thought the coast was clear, only to lose their lives in the Blitz and when the v2's came. Many were left alone during the day, dad at war and mom in the factory, making them vulnerable.
I don't know why I'm thinking this, its just a strong feeling, one I have never felt before. Anyway, thought I'd share.
Dan_Paranormal (1 stories) (74 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-21)
Negative incidents involving children at a large magnitude tend to be kept on the hush from as many people as possible as it's a source of very negative publicity. Questions are asked that not a lot of people can answer. This could be why you can't find anything, there'll always be something though it's just hard to find. For this particular space to be touched by that many spirits something big had to have happened in that space. I also gather this from your comment about the staff almost covering up and deterring you from finding out more.

As BadJuuJuu said it sounds like an intelligent haunt. I think that she was trying to perhaps show you something since she only wanted you to look and maybe not so much listen hence with her staying in silence. There's a lot of detail to her as well. The fact that she appeared and continues to appear? Can show perhaps a forward in the direction into uncovering the truth of her and maybe many around hers untimely end. I'm sure one day in such a small village the truth will be uncovered when enough are looking.

Thanks for sharing your story. School hauntings always interest me and I enjoy reading them.
nicole_cochrane (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-21)
Hi
I recentlly expireincedsomething very much like this, but it was a girl covered in blood instead of bruises and it was in my mothers friends house. It sounds exactly like your story, the girl I saw covered in blood was suprised to see me to. I never really felt comfortable telling anybody about my expireance until about 2 months ago I managed to tell my mum, it definatly makes you feel better and I think you should start telling more people.
Thanks for sharing 😁
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-20)
http://www.heritagebritain.com/towns/Staffordshire/Woodseaves.html I'm not sure if I am right but its not about the library girl its a place where you might gone there.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-20)
Sound like a child abuse that Not sure which adults or whatever did to that child when you say you saw bruise on her face. Alos what Badjuujuu say about Resident Haunted. Also Object *SAmple: Book maybe* She may her favorite book at the libary that why she there never know just my opien.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-19)
hi there motorquest interesting story.
I read this the other day and have looked up woodseves primary and also looked into the area and sadly I could not find any info on a little girls death, not that I'm saying there is nothing to find but nothing on the net.
You might have to try the local library or the local paper to see if there is anything you can find out about this girl but then saying that there might not be any information to find (unreported death, lost records) but I do hope you have better luck than I did, thanks for sharing
Carl
TwilightGirl90 (guest)
-1
13 years ago (2011-04-19)
-is eating banana Popsicle- I think maybe -licks- she was beaten to death, but was connected to the school. Maybe she was beaten before she went to school and died there. Who knows? I would try to find out who she was through school records. 😊
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-19)
Hello motorquest,

Having read the posts of the other posters I can only compliment them on what they told you. Something clearly took place around where that school is which is keeping these haunted spririts bound to the spot. Continue searching through the past for it, and if possible keep us updated!

Greetings,
Peter
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-19)
Ghosts tend to not like new construction for some reason. I am going to a haunted hotel in May. The desk clerk said that their resident ghosts really hate the updgrades they are making in one part of the hotel and they are very active in that part. THis could be why the little girl ghost was there. As far as her staring at you. I think she was just as shocked that you could see her. She probably was used to people not knowing she was there and here you come along and talk to her. It must have been quite a shock to her as well.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-18)
Would the area happen to have a local library that may hold some old newspaper articles? If so I would say go there and try and browse over the old articles. See if something happened that may jump out at you. If anything happened in the area that someone died from or something violent happened, I doubt it was kept on the hush from the newspapers so I would say check there and see if anything comes up.

Peace
JustCurious
motorquest (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-18)
[at] moravian: I can't remember what they looked liked, all I remember is that she was staring at me, and knew I was there. She had a very blank yet haunting expression.

[at] Badjuujuu: That's exactly what I thought; that the land had been disturbed there. I thought perhaps many kids could have died there; other ghosts of children had been seen. An accident by which someone crashed a school bus perhaps. I have searched on the internet before, no luck, though whenever I'd ask the dinner staff whether any accidents had happened they'd always seem really defensive and say "no, this is a happy school," or "nothing's ever happened at Woodseaves".

Thank you both for replying, means a lot. Just helps me move on from the experience by talking about it.

X Motorquest
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-18)
The hauntings that are replays of past events are referred to as residual haunts. These are the most common type of haunting. In a residual, no true ghost is present, just an image or sound. There is no intelligence or awareness, just a record of past events.
Intelligent hauntings, however, do have a true ghost present. In this type of haunting, the ghost is aware of it's surroundings and may attempt to interact with the living. The girl you saw sounds like she fits into the intelligent haunting category.
Even though the library is a new building, her attachment could be to whatever was there before the library was built, or even to the land itself. Ghosts can also attach themselves to objects, so she may be connected, not to the land or building, but to something in the library. It's tough to tell what a ghost is attached to sometimes.
You may try looking through old yearbooks or other school records to see if you can figure out who this child is. It sounds as if she is lost, and needs some guidance to the Other side.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-18)
Hello, I have to ask, do you recall anything as to what her eyes looked like?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: