You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Night It Screamed

Real Ghost Stories

The Night It Screamed

 

My story began one night when I agreed to babysit for a family in Adams Center, New York. This was a very old stone house, which had been built reportedly in the late 1800's.

The family had not lived in this house very long and they had called to see if I would come to their home and babysit for their baby daughter. I was 17 years old at the time and I have always loved taking care of children and eagerly accepted, also knowing that would lead to additional babysitting jobs, which meant a some spending money for myself.

My Dad drove me to their house and dropped me off about 4:00PM. It was already dark outside because it was winter time. I was told they wanted me to stay over night and then go home the next morning as they would not arrive back to the house until around 4:00AM or 5:00AM the next morning and would be too tired to drive me home.

When I walked into the entryway, I felt like someone had suddenly touched my head and ran their hand down my shoulder length hair. I turned around expecting the father to be there and was ready to yell at him, when I realized that there was no one behind me. It was so real but I chalked it up to my imagination.

Once inside, they gave me the information I needed for taking care of their daughter and stated If I had any problems I would not be able to get in contact with them as there was no telephone where they were going. However, they stated that if I got scared or needed help, to call 911 if there was a problem.

I fed, changed and played with the baby and then after giving her a bath, I rocked her to sleep. I gently brought her upstairs and placed her in her crib and left her baby lamp on so I could check on her if she woke up.

After making sure she was sound asleep, I began walking downstairs when I felt a very cold breeze on my arms. It was so cold that the goosebumps on my arms were very visible and where I had been warm and comfy just a few minutes ago, I was now freezing. I went downstairs to the livingroom and checked the thermostat. Hmmm, I thought it says it is 72 degrees, but it didn't feel like it at all.

I sat down on the couch and turned television on. At 1:20AM, I was wide awake and suddenly, out of the blue with no warning, there was a loud knock, knock, knock on the wall next to where the couch was. It really scared me because other than for the baby, I was there all alone and was getting really scared at this time.

I went into the next room and searched, but found absolutely nothing that would have caused those sounds. After about 20 minutes, I again heard three more bangs on the wall. It sounded like someone was trying to hit my head, but instead got the wall directly behind me.

When it happened a third time, I jumped up off the couch and ran upstairs to make sure that the baby was ok. She was sound asleep. Me though, I was not ok. I was shaking and absolutely terrified. I didn't really want to go back downstairs but once again began feeling really stupid that I had probably imagined it.

I switched the television to a different channel and began watching a movie when suddenly, the air in the livingroom felt electrified and then there was a very loud and drawn out scream. That scream's origin was right there in the same room as I was and yet, I saw no one. It was so loud that I screamed and ran out of the room into the kitchen. I can tell you that this scream was from someone who was or had been terrified. I slowly walked back out into the livingroom but again saw nothing. I was suddenly overwhelmed with sheer dread. It was so bad that I felt if I hadn't left that room that I was going to be attacked or killed. I was shaking really bad by this time and the only thing I wanted to do was to get out of there once and for all. I then realized that I was crying hysterically. I ran upstairs and stayed with the baby until the next morning when her parents had arrived home.

Once they were there and in the house, I came downstairs and explained everything that had happened. This couple looked right at me and stated, "We are so sorry. We had hoped that this would have been a quiet night without any problems." I assured them that I wasn't crazy and that everything I had told them was absolutely true. It was then that the wife told me that a woman had been violently killed in the livingroom by an intruder back in the early 1900's but didn't know or care about getting specific facts.

I stated in no uncertain terms, "I will never come back to babysit here again. What I told you had really happened and I was terrified for my own safety as well as for your daughter's safety." The baby's father told me, "It doesn't happen every night." His wife hit him in the arm and said, "He is only kidding." He looked at her and said, "Cheryl, I am telling you the truth. We have heard this scream and had these same occurances, but neither of us have ever seen anyone or been able to explain what it was."

I left there as fast as I could and to my own word, I never, ever went there again. All I have to do is think about how that long and drawn out, terrifying scream sounded and I still get the chills down my neck and arms.

Everytime I drive by that home, I still can hear that scream and remember how terrified I was that night.

Thank you

Cheryl Stevens

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, myorion, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-07)
Oh wow, they left a baby and a young girl in their haunted house without a warning!

Whatever it is that they went it must have been darn important for them to have practically left you with instruction to call 911 in case something happened. I am sorry you had to deal with all of this by yourself... Very irresponsible of the house owners!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
myorion: Thank you for getting back to us and clearing up the questions...
myorion (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Hello everyone, Thank you for your comments. I have to sincerely apologize though, as I was in error when I wrote about the 911. You are correct, it would have been to dial zero and not 911 at that time. Again, sorry everyone. I was a young teenager when this occurred and am now in my mid-fifties. I swear that this story is true and I pray to God that I NEVER hear or experience that ever again. Plus, looking at it now, I do believe that it was a residual haunting as there was nothing that made me feel like something was trying to interact with me.

I will tell you all something though, no one could pay me any amount of money to be in that house again, day or at night. That one occurance was one too many for me.

For anyone who may believe that this is a made up story, this is the third time since I was that teen that I have ever told anyone what had happened, and it is factual! Since that time I have had several other paranormal experiences but I will send them in another time. Have a good week everyone and thank you.
TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
maybe the attack scared the woman that much she screams everytime she sees someone thinking they might attack her
Just a theory but I reckon my theory could be why she screams
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
I hope for that kid's sake that this story is fictional. Poor baby! What terrible parents! I agree, things don't really add up in the family account. But I liked the part where the author heard screaming, it was intense and gripping. You all bring up valid points though; if this story was real, no one behaved as they should have.
Ghost_gal123 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Carl-

I can't help but agree with you. Why on earth would the baby's parents leave the child for that amount of time, if they 'knew' about the paranormal activities. It does sounds very fictional. However, there is a degree of unnerving detail in this which does cause doubts of its 'fiction' to mind-but at the same time it could easily be a ghost story embelished to fit normal living standards. I don't know what to make of this.

Ghost_Gal xxx ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
what? Just like that! Ok we are out 12 hours going somewhere with no phone but call cops if anything happens? SORRY BUT NO!
1) a parent would not stay away from baby for 12 hours
2) would even if away for 3~4 hours be contactable!
3) all that going on and you DONT CALL ANYONE!
Your in the babys room until parents get home? Pick up the phone and call home!?

Sorry but this is total fiction. I have done my fair share of babysitting and there is no way to stop the parents calling you to check up and if that was going on in the house they would be calling all night.
Carl
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Well, Granny.

What I do not know about the history of 911, I know plenty about upstate NY. You could very well be a grandmother in your early 30's...Adams, NY has lots of snow and bored teenagers.
I could maybe get past the faux paux of "meaning to say" something else... If the poster would return and engage.

As for the age thing, I am in my prime! It took a while for the bondo to dry, but I'll be ready for my finish coat anytime now.

Lou
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Lou: LOL 😆...Not insinuating that you're over 40, just the rural New York area...911, to us old farts, is a "new fangled thang", specially in an area that, in the 2000 census, had a population of 1500...I'm itchin' to send up the "blankey alert" 😆
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Granny,
Huh. I do not know what has offended me more; the fact that I missed this tidbit of information, or the fact you think I could in some way be over 40!
The case of Just For Men I ordered has just arrived so I will be ready for my close up soon. Until then I will just cinch up my girdle and wait quietly until the sun goes down... You girls aren't the only ones who get prettier at closing time.
Oh, the question... We in upstate NY, where this story takes place, used to dial "0".

Lou
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Lou: Another point of interest: when you were 17, how did you make an emergency call?...This poster's bio says that she has adult children, I'm guessing her age is beyond 40...
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
DA,
Or how about taking your child TO a babysitter? Yeah, the more I think about this one, the more it pisses me off... God forbid they inconvenience themselves for the sake of their child or childcare provider.

Lou
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
The parents couldn't at least have the decency to put you and the child up in a hotel for the night? It sounds to me like they dumped their problems off on you rather than just simply asking you to babysit. What's that poor kid going to do when she gets older and gets scared by these experiences? Her parents are just going to tell her, "don't worry honey, it's normal"?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
granny,
You look great in black and white stripes... Keep your hand on that flag.

;) Lou
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
myorion: I agree with Lou... The fact that no responsible parent leaves their child in the hands of a teenager without some means to contact them, sends up a flurry of red flags...

I'm almost tempted to throw a flag of my own on this one... Guess we'll "wait and see" what this poster has to say... 😐
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
Just reading your story gave me the creepies and send a shiver down my spine; I could only imagine what you went though. I probably would have peed my pants and ran out of the house with the baby the first time it happened and called my father. Like LouSlips said, I give you credit for checking on the baby even though you were scared.

Got a question: How are these people related to you? I'm asking because of the way they acted before leaving you there and returning afterwards. If I were in their shoes, I would make sure to be sure that the babysitter is comfortable because I would be leaving the care of my child to the babysitter. That includes not scaring the sh*t out of me. Although, I'm into helping a spirit find its way home, you were right in not returning to that home. I wouldn't go back to place where people weren't straight with me.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
myorion,

Pretty powerful experience. Good for you for being responsible enough to check on the baby every time something happened. To be honest with you, it sounds like the parents knew something was going to happen..."we are going to leave you with our infant daughter, but there is no phone to get a hold of us in an emergency" translates to "some creepy stuff might happen, but you agreed to stay with our daughter, so deal with it"...nice.
I think it was the ghost of an unhappy customer of the Fucillo Auto Mall.;)

Lou
multinathan911 (3 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-06)
wow that is just a creepy story. I could just imagine the piercing scream and altough you never mentioned a woman being visable I could just picture the woman standing their. I am no expert on ghosts but as some other people have said on the comments before that this sounds like a woman who has not passed into heaven because mabye the killer/ murderer has not been found or brought to justice and she is reaching out for help. Well that's what I think anyway. Hope you understand a little bit better 😁
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-05)
Hello myorion,

She clearly is caught by the horrible way she died so long ago. It must be her fear and afterwards her anger for the man who killed her which does make her go through this again and again. But never for ever. If I were in your place back then I would have said firmly: "stop it! I do not know what has happened to you but let go of it and move on." Those parents should, like Javanila said, think of moving on too. This situation unresolved can never be good for a baby. Or for them.

Scary well told sharing.
Greetings: Peter
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
myorion,
I have to agree with 510mot. This sounds like your typical residual haunting. A recorded event in time that was so intense that the play back of it has become an almost nightly occurrence.
Myself, I couldn't justify staying in the home. Especially as a young family with small children, it would be too much.

Jav
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
Oh, I'd really like to hear what else you've experienced too. If it's anything like what you just told us then sheesh - I'd be a jibbering mess.
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
What a terrifying, creepy thing to happen. That must have been the worst night of your life! Just crazy. When I was a kid an almighy piercing, unearthly cry or scream, suddenly woke the entire house. My step-father rushed into our bedroom sprinkling holy water and reciting from the Bible. What caused it we will never know. My point is; I'll neever forget that scream either for as long as I live. Terrifying. It's a strange, strange world. Thank you for sharing myorion. Great story 😊
Melime (10 stories) (64 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
Very interesting story. I understand you for not wanting to go back there again! I believe it's a residual haunting, poor woman.
Thanks for sharing!
Take care!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
Sounds like a classic residual haunting. Some paranormal investigators believe that stone plays a strong role in RH's, acting like a psychometric recorder and play back those recordings under the right circumstances. Now, If we could only figure out exactly what those circumstances are?
Lexii234 (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-04)
I totally believe you Cheryl. I Think that When you heard the scream the Woman was trying to ask you for help. I think You do not have to but I think maybe you need to find out more information and talk to "It" Maybe there is something that wasn't told and she needs you to know so she can move on. I believe that she couldn't get through to the parents so she thought that maybe you can help.
Bella199967 (5 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-06-03)
I think that the ghost is just reliving its passed on when it was killed. Once when I was 12 at my house I was getting milk from the fridge, and I saw a very pale girl with long black hair in a white dress and she was running from some thing. I know 'cause she looked behind her and she looked terrified but she made it to the door and I never saw her again. I guess she was just reliving her past or trying to do it differently trying to see how it would be to live again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: