You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Agna

Real Ghost Stories

Agna

 

2010, what a strange year. I'm backpacking through Europe, cold, damp and damned lonely. I finally arrived in London and found employment as a barman in a small, Victorian pub, attended by regulars from some of the offices that was surrounding the old pub (if I remember correctly, it was called the Lion's Head or something along that line).

I ended up finding accommodation with two fellow Aussies, but I hardly saw them as they were roadies for a rock band that traveled the UK and Holland (don't ask me the name of the band, I thought they were rubbish when I saw them and have forgotten the name of them) so I stayed in this beautiful old Victorian manor for practically nothing. The building was split up into different apartments. The top floor though was empty so we had the whole building for ourselves (well, I did). No one stayed in the room above for some weird reason. A reason I soon came to find out myself.

My date with destiny came one wet Sunday afternoon. I was by myself (as usual) with a great book (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), rain tapping at the window like fingers and I had a beer sitting on the floor at my feet. I was really into the book when I thought I heard someone walking up the stairs. I knew the lads were touring through Wales at that moment so I got up, thinking that someone broke in so I went out into the hallway when I caught a glimpse of someone walking up the stairs to the floor above. Remember, I was by myself!

I frowned and followed the person up. One thing that dawned on me and I found rather disturbing was that person, just out of range, was wearing a...wedding dress. A wedding dress, for God's sake? The hell? I quicken my pace but, to my surprise, the person was gone. The whole corridor was dead empty. Just me standing there. I know I was by myself and no way on this earth could someone disappear just like that. I had a strange feeling that she wasn't, well, of this plain.

I didn't tell my flatties when they got back, in case they thought I was on something (other than beer) but each night when I came back from work, I would sense her presence just above my head as if she was watching me from the darkness. I explored the top floor during daylight and found the rooms like any other room, empty but there was one room, a large room that made me feel uneasy. I saw her again, walking up the stairs as if she was heavy with burden or something. I felt sad and not once was I scared.

I finally found out who she was and why she was haunting the building. It was one of the regulars that told me one evening. He knew where I was staying and asked have I seen Agna. I asked who's Agna and he told me this:

"1890 and Agna was soon to be married to a wealthy young man named Martin Proctor. Martin was an up and coming lawyer but he felt that getting married wasn't really his cup of tea. In fact, he was a mandrake (gay) and was in love with his best friend so he and his lover decided to do away with Agna, or Aggie as she was known, so he lured her to a room (the same room where I felt uneasy?) and his boyfriend slammed a heavy hammer into her skull, killing her instantly then stuffed her body into a trunk. The two men vanished and left the trunk somewhere in the attic. Her parents were heart-broken and sold the house, which was going to be her wedding present (the old boy was filthy rich, I believe), then went and lived abroad. Many years later, the house was sold in 1930. The new owner kept seeing this woman in a wedding dress going up the stairs, then vanishing. To this day, the trunk still hasn't being located and I guess Aggie was trying to show where her body is still."

I left after six months and came home. I still wonder about Aggie and wondered if anyone found her trunk and found her so she can lay to rest.

Other hauntings by AussieRedDog

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AussieRedDog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
AussieRedDog: I believe you saw a spirit... And yes, most times the old legends gather more and more details each time the tale is told, like a game of "telephone" 😆...I'm glad you never felt afraid, but what a sad site!...

Thank you for posting, and welcome back!...Please don't stay away so long! 😆
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Hey Dan, great to be back. I've been busy with life 😁 but I thought I should get this story off my hairy chest. I have another one that happened last October but I won't put that up yet as I've things to do through Uni... Becoming a high school teacher and that's scarey 😨
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-28)
AussieRedDog: Mate good to see you back on the site again it has been a while that's for sure. Your accounts always amaze me, I feel sorry for Agnes what a horrible thing to have happened, seems as though she wasn't trying to scare you, more trying to show you she is still around and was curious as to who you were. Hope she moves on one day!

Thanks for sharing mate!

Dan
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
Okay, sorry about the confusion but I'll do my best to explain. Though I saw the ghost herself but like most ghost stories, people just presume that she's still buried in the house. Her body would've been stored in a trunk off some sort but maybe they didn't leave the body in the house and buried it elsewhere. I didn't get to investigate this as I left the area to go elsewhere so I just took the story with a truck load of salt. Her parents would've left heart broken because their daughter was missing. I sww this woman in a wedding dress, I presumed it was a wedding dress as I saw the tail end of it... Read the story again... I agree, it might be just a local legend about how she died. Again, I'll repeat, I saw this woman going up the stairs and, as I explained, the rooms above were empty. Sorry if the story was confusing but at the time I was confused and I did question the old fella about the story, which I should've added, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that he was brought up on that... I wish that I got around to investigate it and find out more... Maybe he just jesting me but how can you explain me seeing the spirit
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2012-02-24)
Hehehe... Moongrim ~ "Mr. Lawyer"

You are quite correct. There would not have been a trail, or any story to tell. I'm still not sure why she would be wearing a wedding dress?

Urban Legend is my take too. But it's an interesting one:)
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-02-23)
I have to agree, them's a lot of details that supposedly only the mandrake and his lover would know about. Hit in the head with a hammer, body in a trunk, etc, etc. Yet the only way anyone would know about such, would be if Mr. Lawyer left behind info concluding all such.

Sounds more like an Urban Legend to explain the experiences, than an actual description of what happened.
SnoWQueeN (5 stories) (100 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-02-23)
I agre completely with Bluerose19. And btw, did she die on her wedding day that you saw her in wedding dress? Didn't that person tell you about how he knew? Trunk was in attic and nobody found her. Strange.

~Nikky
anna2012 (4 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-02-23)
I just created an account here but have been reading these stories for the past 8-9 months.
I too agree with Bluerose19. If the body was not found, how they knew that she was hit in the head by a hammer. How they knew that these two guys went and lived abroad
mysterPOO (63 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-02-23)
Ya,i do agree with Bluerose19, if the two man left the body in the attic, why did the poeple did not find for her body then. I think the person who told has simply put off just to make you all scare. But of course at the same time it could be true but there's something fishy in your story... Because the poeple knew her body was kept in the attic but did not looked for it and they assumed that she is dead.Anyways,im very sorry if I have hurt you but I just want to clear the doubts in my mind...
Hope you will reply very soon...
Til then,

MysterPOO... 😊 😁
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-02-23)
I am confused with these 3 lines--

(1) "To this day, the trunk still hasn't being located and I guess Aggie was trying to show where her body is still."

(2) Her parents were heart-broken and sold the house,...

If the trunk (with Aggie's body) has not been located until now, then how did her parents came to know about her death?...Even if they were sure that their daughter's dead, did not they try to search for her body in that house after her death...?

(3) "The two men vanished and left the trunk somewhere in the attic."

How did you /or your neighbor know that the dead-body had been kept in the attic?...And if the story was told to your neighbor in that way also by the people previously staying in and around, how did they know about it?...Then 'knowing' about it might have dated back to the time of Aggie's death itself! And if people had known about it (that the body is there in the attic), then why didn't they (people in 1890) search for the body there (to perform the last rites or for whatever reason)?...Or is it just that the matters were simply put off without anyone trying to investigate?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: