You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Scruffy Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Scruffy Man

 

Hey, my names Leah and I'm 16 from the UK. I have never written about my ghost experiences and only ever talk to my close friends about what I see, so I am pretty new to this kind of thing. I am going to share my most recent stories as I have lots of past stories that I am not fully able to tell in full detail as I feel I am not ready.

Anyway, in 2009 I moved house as my dad had a new girlfriend with a daughter and we needed a bigger house for enough room for us all to live. The house I moved to and still live in is only 4 years old now. One day I was over at my friends house over the road who is quite a few years older than me and she told me about what used to be under the house before it was built. She said that the houses are built on an old mining place and lots of people died down the mines in the olden days.

When I first moved in I heard some things but never really thought anything of it as they were only small things that happened rarely like banging, or footsteps, and it was only until about a year ago that I started to see a young man. He was dressed in old fashioned clothes, with a dark flat cap and looked scruffy and dirty. As if he had been in a mine shaft all day.

The first time I saw him I was washing my hair over the sink when I looked up in the mirror and saw him looking at me from behind. Obviously I got a bit creeped and turned around to see if it was my imagination. But he was still stood looking at me as if I couldn't see him. So I ran out of the bathroom scared and tried to forget about it.

I then saw him a few weeks later, but I was downstairs this time. I just made myself some tea as I had been at my boyfriends house, after cooking it I went to the dinning room put the plate on the table and pulled out the chair, as I pulled it, it wouldn't budge. I thought what the hell is happening and looked at the front to see the man slouching in the chair as if he was tired. I moved back and he got up and just ran away like I'd done something to him.

I haven't seen him since. Why do you think he liked watching me? And why did he run away and not come back?

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, leah666, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

leah666 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-07)
Maybe he does think I'm the ghost but how am I to know that if he runs away? And I saw him get up and run but as soon as he was out the door I could only hear his footsteps he ran up the stairs by the sound of things
shalyn03 (5 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-07)
hi leah666! When he run away where did he go? Did you heard his footsteps?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-07)
leah666: So he was looking at you like you couldn't see him? Do you get the impression that he actually could see you? What if infact you both are still sharing the house and he thinks you are the ghost? He may not know that he is dead, just a couple of other things to think about. All the best to you.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
robertar (223 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
If they don't pay rent, what right do they have to stay. Tell him to leave.
leah666 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
The man was already there when I pulled out the chair, and it was pulled out just a little, just so that he could sit in it. And I live in bedworth, near coventry. 😁
Shell1982 (70 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-03)
Intriguing! When the man was in the chair, did he suddenly appear there, or fade in to view gradually, or what? Also, was the chair pulled far enough out that he could sit in it without touching the table, or was the chair pushed in and he was overlapping with the table? Slightly random questions, but I'm just intrigued as to what that would look like! Also, I'm from the UK too - where is it you live? There are lots of mining villages near me, I'm curious to know if we are neighbours:)
DannyBaby (3 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
Well it's a good thing that you're not worried or anything... It shows you have courage...
leah666 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
Thanks for all your comments,
I also don't think that he is trying to harm me, I'm not really worried or anything, just wanted to share my story. 😆
DannyBaby (3 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
I agree with all these comments... I too can see them also... I'm only 17... And not only can I see them but converse with the spirits also... But do please be careful... He may seem nice at first... I mean the chair thing I mean I think you actually frightened him... Cause mining started in the early 1900s and back then everything was not as technical as it is today... But if he does come back and visits you... Just keep us posted on what's happening... You can contact me personally if you want to...
SilverBear (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
I've come across a few like The Miner. He dosen't sound harmful, and unless he really starts trying to "get your attintion," (aka, throwing things, loud sounds, touching) you really don't have anything to worrie about. As Night_Day put it, he may just want you to know he's there. Though be prepaired. If your the only one that can see him, he may be inclined to "visit" you more often.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
A dirty old mine is no place to haunt. I bet he's glad a house was built on top- that he is able to take refuge in. Mining is hard work, and it sounds like you cut his break short when pulling that chair out.
night_day (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
I don't think he intends to harm you in any way. Maybe he is just trying to make his presence known but be careful it may also be that he may have some other darker intentions and is trying to achieve your trust before showing his true intentions.
H05VV-F (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
judging by your description of this man I think he might be a miner who died there. As for why he liked watching you I unfortunately have no answer. But maybe he ran away because he was afraid of you. As long as he isn't hurting or bothering you I don't think you should worry too much about him.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: