You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: No Reason For A Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

No Reason For A Ghost

 

I'm not sure I believe in ghosts, but living in my house has become very stressful. A lot of weird stuff happens but, unluckily, it all seems to happen to me. Given that I'm only fourteen, people don't believe me when I talk about strange events and things that happened in my home. I really need somebody out there to believe me on this. So here goes nothing.

I live in a suburban area around an hour away from Seattle, Washington. There's probably two traditional ghost stories in the entire town, and that's it. I live on an elevated area a reasonable height above the plateau. The problem with that is that this area was pretty much entirely uninhabited (that includes Native American tribes two hundred years back) before the area began to be developed and built on two or three decades ago. A small logging company used to work here (it's still pretty heavily forested for a primarily residential place), but not near where my house is. That was also sixty-plus years ago. My family is the first family to own the house we live in, and there have been no deaths or anything in the neighborhood. No house in the neighborhood is over four years old.

My point is that there shouldn't be any ghosts.

The history may have been a little boring, but please bear with me. I'm just trying to be thorough. But now on to what has actually occurred.

My friend and pretty much sister Jane was staying over one night. She's the only other person who seems to experience anything. But anyway, around five in the afternoon we were being teenage girls and I said, "Do you want to go on a ghost hunt in my house?"

I was kidding, because this was about a year and a half ago and all that had I had experienced were a couple faint noises and a few fuzzy shadows that I dismissed. I didn't expect anything to happen, and I don't think Jane did either, but she agreed.

I had been playing a game on my phone, and I wanted to finish it before we did anything. But while I was playing, we heard what sounded like really hard knocking on the door. It was weird, because to get onto the porch, you have to open a little gate that we had installed so my dog could go on the front porch. The latch on that gate is a bit noisy, so it was weird that we hadn't heard it. I asked Jane to check the peephole on the door. She hopped off the couch and checked.

When she didn't say anything, I asked who it was. She said, "Abby, nobody's out there. I swear to God, nobody is out there."

I didn't really believe her, so I dropped my phone and checked the peephole myself. Nobody was out there. We went out on the porch to see if someone was playing a prank, or if somebody had left a package. Nothing. But while we were out on the porch we heard the knocking again. I really thought Jane was going to pass out, which was the only reason we went back in. She sat down on the couch again and I tried to find out what could cause the noise. Adjacent to door, there's a closet where we keep random stuff like coats, a broom, spare Kleenex boxes, etc. Well, I grabbed the handle and rattled the door. It was the exact same noise.

There's a vent on the ceiling, but it was four and a half feet away and could not possibly rattle the door. Sometimes we have trouble opening the closet door. This has never happened again, so we don't know what happened then.

The next thing that happened (I'm sorry about how long this is getting to be) occurred two days after the door. I was talking to Jane about it on the phone and I set my cellphone on the counter for a moment. Twenty seconds later I hear my phone ringing. Jane was calling me back. The first thing she did was ask me why I hung up on her. According to her, she hadn't touched her phone. I was right next to a signal booster and she hadn't moved, so it doesn't seem likely that we just lost connection.

That event wasn't scary or anything, but it made me nervous. The thing that happens the most frequently, however, is the most disconcerting thing.

As anybody who owns a hanging pot-rack probably knows, it can get a little noisy if they start rattling against each other. We got rid of our pot-rack about a year ago, and I still hear the pots banging against each other almost everyday. It's really scary because it is completely impossible.

Add to all this the fact that my cat and dog both stare at random places on the wall as if something's there, when there most certainly isn't.

I just don't know what's going on.

Other hauntings by AbbyKate

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AbbyKate, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-11)
After my last cat died, I hear his meows in the house for the following year. I STILL hear his meow sometimes when I visit my parents' house. And I know it's not a spirit or anything. It's just that I got so very used to hearing his freaking yowling for food at certain times of day, I basically expect it and kind of hear the echoes. If the pots were equally as annoying as that damn cat, I bet you are hearing the echoes from your memories. Hard to shake it. When I told my parents I still heard Max, they both said, "OMG I know." They didn't think I was weird. It's just a strange memory kind of deal, I think.

As for the knocking, believe it or not, newer houses settle even more than older ones. So it's not uncommon to hear somewhat rhythmic knocking coming from any kind of wood at all. Old houses tend to have more creaking of floorboards, whistling of pipes, and also knocking of pipes (due to difference of metals and temperature sensitivities).

Basically, wood in a new home is noisier by itself. Metal in an old home is noisier by itself.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
Most of what you describe is readily capable of non-paranormal explanation and in any event does not sound threatening even if it is paranormal in origin. I believe the sound of the pots banging together is phantom noise, which is nothing to be afraid of. I don't think any place is immune to residual energy or haunting as most every square inch of this planet has seen lots of life and energy of some kind or another over the millennia. Are you north, south or east of Seattle by the way? We're practically neighbours. I'm in Vancouver, B.C.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
I am Seattle born and raised, so I know a bit about that area. Fact is that a lot of men died logging those areas, and many more died due to elements when they stayed through the winter months. Weyerhauser has done logging out there since 1900, and no doubt has had many fatalities. I would suggest researching the land, and seeing if it was perhaps a logging camp at one time, or maybe a harvest site. Good Luck!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
To begin with, just to get the dogs and cats of the world off the hook, what you call staring at nothing may just be them listening to outside noises they stay aware of in order to keep the home safe. They may seem to be staring when they are actually focussing on sound.
Second point is this, the vent in the closet doesn't need to be anywhere near the door to make the door rattle, it just needs to be open and inside the closet with the closet door shut. The air pressure from it switching from on and off is all it would take to cause the rattle.
Thirdly, we'll just pass up the incident with the phone. You know just as well as everyone else how easily that can happen.
Fourth, you started off by saying there was no reason for it to be haunted. So stay with that, you were doing pretty good right there.

Jav

~~Unless, of course you consider that logging is one of the most dangerous jobs on earth, and the reason it got that way is the death toll incurred... (walks away with an evil laugh) 😉
supernaturalservices (86 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
Seems like the beginning stages of paranormal activity. It could be a ghost, but there are other types of spirits out there. One thing you can do is put out bowls of sea salt and white vinegar in areas where it manifests. Let it evaporate in the air, it will make manifestation more difficult, also prayers that invoke divine powers are very helpful, some examples are the Saint Micheal prayer

It goes;

Saint Michael the Archangel,
Defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
And do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
By the Divine Power of God -
Cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
Who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Also saying psalm 91 and 71 from the bible helps.

You could also smudge the place with sage every couple of days.

BTW, I live in seattle and am willing to help personally, if your parents ask for it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and be sure to pm me if it gets worse.
JayGamer (31 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
I think you probably attracted a poltergeist or some kind of other entity
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
AbbyKate,

Reza makes an interesting point...

I would like to say this...

1st: The cell phone thing... Just a cell phone thing... Maybe a button got pushed on accident... Maybe a cloud... Maybe a stray solar flare... Point being the signal loss could have been due to nearly anything.

2nd: One Word (one I seem to use a lot around young teens) Poltergeist... (German for noisy ghost)

When it comes to a Poltergeist there are two primary situations... The first being that the 'activity' is coming from your own body. As your body is maturing and changing (Puberty) lots of 'energy' is being generated and used... Is some cases this 'energy' is released by your body and 'something' happens around you. Things like, you see a shape out of the corner of your eye. Pots and Pans rattle. Doors Shake... In some cases items are 'tossed' across the room. The second... There is a chance that an actual spirit has been attracted by the 'energy' I mentioned... This spirit will cause things to happen around your home just to let you know it's there.

In either case as you get older and Puberty comes to an end these events will stop.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Rook
Michore (30 posts)
-4
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Hi AbbyKate,

We'll there are actually a number of possibilities, first off, some demons and ghosts live in forests and wilderness. Then there is also wandering ghosts that you can invite into your home by allowing there to be ghosts. Then there is also family demons, almost every family has one but they just learn everything about you and not very active unless you allow them to be (but I don't think this is your case). Also demons and ghost can be attached to certain objects you own, if you are sensitive enough the object will give off very funky vibes. You can also open a door by playing that spirit board game thing, and doing activities like communicating with spirits. Although there are a number of posts here about kids playing scary games, like hide and seek in the dark and such that just randomly experience ghosts for no apparent reason. There are many more possibilities that goes into more detail
Reza84 (1 stories) (9 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
They say that sometimes you can find what you are looking for, even if it really isn't there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: