You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Ghost Man Or Skinwalker?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Man Or Skinwalker?

 

I live in Gallup, NM a city surrounded by Native American culture and history. We have many surrounding towns and reservations that have been here for a very long time and many people claim they are haunted.

My experience actually takes place right in Gallup on the east side of the city near a very small reservation. My best friend visited her sister every weekend who lived in the low rental apartments on the east side. Right across from these apartments is an elementary school, the one I actually attended when I was a little girl.

During these weekends I would spend the night with my friend at her sister's apartment. At night when there was absolutely nothing to do and the kids and parents were asleep, we'd go outside to the park that was right there in the middle of the apartments and chill. One night we became so bored we actually took off walking, I'd say it was about 2 AM. We were used to being up so late so we were wide awake, of course like any teenage girl wanting to stay up late. Well we walked behind apartments where there is no light and tons of bushes and prairie dog holes in the ground.

As we were walking, I sensed that someone was staring at us or following us (I am very sensitive to these kinds of things, so usually when I sense someone is looking at me or following me, I'm right) so I turned around to look and nothing was there. As I turned to look forward, my friend suddenly grabbed my arm and said in a scared whisper, "Oh my god what was that?" I looked into the darkness and saw nothing. The wind was slightly blowing that night and there were a few trees ahead of us so I passed it off as the wind moving the leaves. I told her "It's just the wind, dude, chill out" and kept walking. But as I looked again, I saw what looked like a black figure moving through the trees I stopped and said "I think it might be a drunk crashing out back there for the night."

Just so I wouldn't scare the crap out of my friend I kept a calm voice, which was awful hard for me to do because I was sensing that this "thing" in the trees wasn't a nice personality, I said "Do you want to go back home?" And she said "No we're almost to the store, let's just keep going." So as we kept walking we heard movement in the trees a swift fast movement. We started walking faster, like power walking. I heard something behind us and I looked, and it looked like a wounded or hurt dog. I wasn't really scared because where I live there's a lot of that. But what I heard next stopped me dead in my tracks and paralyzed me from my legs up. I heard this "dog" moan and growl at the same time as if it wanted me for a midnight snack. I literally couldn't move and my friend was trying to distract me saying "Come on! Come on! We gotta run!" but her screams sounded distant as if I had gone deaf or as if she was far away. I had made eye contact with this thing and I knew that that was a bad decision.

I closed my eyes and said a short prayer without even thinking I turned around and ran for my life with my friend close by my side. I tried not to look behind us but something was telling me to look, so I glanced behind us and a man running for us! But he wasn't just running he was on his hands and knees! I screamed and my friend joined in only because I scared her when I yelled. We ran faster. We finally got to the road where there was light and cars passing, we had ran for about 7 minutes straight and were completely out of breath. I remember our sides aching and cramping. We stopped to catch our breath and I turned to look behind us again and saw "the man" way in the distant darkness running back to where we had come from.

We walked not even 2 minutes and finally got to the store. The lady behind the counter gave us a weird look and asked us "Are you girls okay?" we replied out of breath "Yes, just a late night run." I could tell she didn't believe us so she asked "Did you girls run from the apartments?" I answered "Yeah...why?" and she said "Oooh! Are you girls sure your okay?" We looked at each other and my friend told her "Well not really, we just had a horrible encounter with something, we don't know what it is or who it was." The lady said "You girls just ran from a skinwalker. Whoever it was always chases someone he catches walking the road at night. You girls are lucky you made it this far!" As if we weren't shaken up already, what she had just told us had added to it.

We didn't have any money but she offered us a bottle of water and a ride back home. She closed down the store and gave us a ride back home. As we passed the bushes and trees we had just come from, we all had definitely saw something running but the lady told us to ignore it and close our eyes.

We finally entered the apartment complex and she asked us "which is yours?" "Apartment D." As we were getting out of the car she told us "You girls stay home at night now. There's no need for you two young girls to be running around at 2 in the morning. Keep yourselves safe, you hear?" We nodded and said goodbye and thank you.

After that night we never left the apartment complex past 12 AM. To this day I am still shook up about what I had experienced that night and I also still don't know what it was that followed us that night.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Roamer12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Roamer12 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-12)
To answer everyone's questions (a year later I know). It was a family owned store and being so close to a reservation at that time of night there were no customers so she closed up shop for a few minutes to give us a ride back to my friends apartment.

Yes my friend and I are both native American. She is Navajo and I'm Hopi and Sioux.

We knew it was a skinwalker because of the frozen feeling I got. I can tell the difference between a dog growling and what we had heard. Believe me that "growl" still gives me an eerie feeling.
5cherry0padilla5 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-21)
I truly believe this story happen I'm new mexico. I live in a city but have spent the night on the reservation and have experience skin walker's evil presence around my sister's home. Be more careful you never know if the lady herself was the skinwalker just caught a ride with a stranger.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
Maybe it was a chupacabre... It is New Mexico after all. We hear about them all the time in Arizona... I haven't seen one but I know people that swear they have.

So, why wouldn't it occur to you that it may have simply been a dog? It was dark, very late, desolated area full of prairie dog holes, and it made some sort of growl/moaning noise that you took to mean danger. If you run, a dog will chase after you. It's the way it works with them.

Jav
ceciline (5 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
Well obviously the lady has heard of previous incidents like this. Or it has happened to her before. So she's just asking to be sure.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
MizMiMi and shellzy,
I knew this one didn't smell right. From them going to the store when they had no money to buy anything, to the clerk giving them a ride home. They got into a car with a stranger at that hour of the morning? No one called home to let them know they alright?

Jav
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
Shellzy-My thoughts exactly. So she just said "Ahhh the owners won't mind, I'll just shut up shop and take you home?" Or did she just presume you girls weren't a ploy to get her to step outside so she could be robbed and beaten to a pulp? It happens you know. 😉
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
Ummm ok... If I ran store and two teenage girls came bolting in a 2.30am out of breath and scared saying they were being chased I would call the cops. No question about it. Why would she just assume you came from the apartments? You could have come from anywhere. And to quickly offer you the information that you were definately being chased by a skinwalker, decide to shut up shop at this bizarre time and then just give you a lift home while the car is being chased by a skinwalker?

Im sorry this story has more holes than a golf course... 🤔 🤔
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
I just made an absolutely mouth watering fruit salad. So pretty it's a shame to have to dig in, but I won't let that stop me. 😆

Jav
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
I am a bit puzzled by this one. It seems as though you went to Wikipedia (makeitupasyougopedia), read the entries, then wrote a story based on what you read. I have heard numerous stories about skinwalkers, and never once have I heard of them persuing someone in a chase, but instead interacting with them with the intent of making them harm or kill themselves. I think we can chalk this one up guys... Anyone bringing a snack?
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
Ok.So the store lady said it was the 'skinwalker',so what information did you gather from her about it?...I am sure after hearing the name from her, I assume one of you must have asked her what is that or who is that (when she had so much 'confidently'told you that it WAS the skinwalker)?...I am sure it wasn't like she offered you girls a ride, and during the ride back home itself, you never asked ANYTHING/-NOT-A-THING to the lady about that 'skinwalker'...?
Gargoyle (51 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
This is really well written!
I would imagine that you went to the store for safety as it was probably the nearest populated place? At least that's what I got from your story...
However, it could have been a prank... Someone trying to scare you? I know nothing about this particular type of entity but it does sound a bit TV ish...
I hope I haven't just insulted your heritage...

😕
🤔
Gargoyle
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-03)
Hmmm... This sounds like it could be a prank, to me. Granted I don't know much about skinwalkers... I only heard that they could turn into wolves if they killed a family member in a ritual manner. Seems odd you'd find one in a place like that. I could easily see some dumb guy going "This would be hilarious!" and decide to chase people on all fours at night, on a dare or some stupid thing.

Just my two cents!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-02)
I don't get it. What were you going to the store for anyway that you had to keep on going until you got there? You had no money, so what was the big deal?
I was going to keep my opinion about this story to myself, but I have to say I simply don't believe this happened the way you say it did. Not at all.

Jav 🤔
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-02)
So this may sound stupid but I do not want to just assume things, are you or your friend Native American? The reason I ask is that NORMALLY Skinwalkers do not bother people that are not Native American.
Christine_Pandora (1 stories) (80 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-02)
😨 WOW!
Well done for not jumping to conclusions straight away and still having the courage to appear brave even though you were terrified inside!
Glad you got away though and i'm glad i've never had to deal with anything apart from spirits.
You're very brave! 😊
Tigersplatch (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
Wow that sounds really scary. It was really nice of that woman to give you a ride back.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: