You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Experience That Convinced Me Ghosts Were Real

Real Ghost Stories

The Experience That Convinced Me Ghosts Were Real

 

I have never believed in ghosts until I stayed at my friend's house over the summer. What I experienced there has convinced me that ghosts are real.

My friend lives in Leeds and her father believes that the house is built on an old battleground. In the garden there is also a small patio that was made from slabs that came from a church. Before I stayed over my friend had vaguely told me that their house was haunted by spirits but I never thought anything would happen.

The first night I was there apart from a feeling that something was watching me whilst I was in bed nothing happened. However the next night myself and my friend was in bed, as were the other members of the family, when we heard sounds from the attic. It sounded like somebody was rolling marbles across the floor and there was several loud bangs. After around half an hour everything was silent and my friend fell asleep. I felt very uneasy and had the feeling of being watched. I finally managed to fall asleep but woke at around three in the morning to the feeling of a heavy weight on me. My friend was in bed beside me and I tried to reach out to her but I felt like I had been paralysed, I opened my mouth to scream but nothing came out. I don't know how long I was like that, it felt a very long time, but eventually I felt the weight lift off me and I could then reach over and wake my friend. She told me that her sister and experienced the same thing (we were sleeping in her sister's room) and that it only seemed to happen on the side of the bed near the door. We swapped sides of the bed and I slept through the rest of the night without incident.

The next day I told my friend's father about what had happened and he said that throughout 18 years of living there many strange things had happened. People had experienced the sensation of being sat on, a woman in white had been seen walking up and down the stairs, my friend had heard the voice of a man in her ear telling her to get out whilst she was dressing, and there was often noises heard from the attic. A spiritualist had been to the house before and had told him that there was the ghost of two children in the attic, a lady who meant no harm and also another spirit that had ill feelings towards the family. She had given them candles to burn and this stopped the incidences for a while before they started again.

That day me and my friend were alone in the house when I felt something stroking the skin of my neck which was followed by a very strong smell of aftershave. I went home that evening as I did not want to spend another night in the house, but I believe in what I experienced and that has what has convinced me of the existence of ghosts.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tassle1991, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-05)
It does sound as though you were affected by sleep paralysis at the time, it can be brought on by a change of sleep patterns and environment aswell so in your case it would make sense.
The other experiences though cannot be ignored it seems as though there is a lot going on within the home. I feel as though they arent harmful and as you say they have been living there for over 18 years now, if it were a major problem I'm sure they would have done something already. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
I've never experienced sleep paralysis so I really can't comment on that except Rooks explanation is the best.
Hearing noises in an old house is perfectly normal especially in the dead of night.
The stroking of your neck does not sound threatening. I've been touched many times. One time I was touched then immediately smelled roses. Roses were not in bloom at the time. I asked the man who's house I was in who liked roses. He had a shocked look on his face and he told me his deceased mother loved roses. He asked me why I asked him that question so I told him I am psychic. He was frightened but started asking me questions I had no way of knowing the answer. I answered his questions as best as I could and I could see the hair on his arms raise because I answered many of his questions correctly. He asked me to leave and he avoided me in the bars his band played in so I just stopped going to the bars he played.
PeachyPumpkins000 (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
Very interesting story. If I had been sat on like that I would have definitely freaked and left the house immediately. But that's just me. And I believe that the spirit who was bothering people was a man because clearly woman don't shave and neither do children... And like you explained, the children and the woman didn't mean any harm. However, I have no idea why he would be stroking your neck.

Oh one more thing. Like everyone else has been saying I think you experienced sleep paralysis while you were sleeping in the room.
Thanks for sharing! 😊
Andrea22 (5 stories) (65 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
What you said does kind of sounds like sleep paralysis...but...given all the other strange happenings, I could believe a ghost was invading your space. Maybe it was his/her room and she doesn't want people in there? It sounds that way from what your friend says about being told to get out!
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
I was thinking about sleep paralysis also, but the other things like the noises? The attic noises could possible be a rat or rats? There's a rat in my roof at the moment that sounds like it is bowling in the middle of the night!

Are you still in contact with this friend? Maybe taking a voice recorder into the house and trying to communicate may ease any ill will in the house?

Interesting read
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
Blackmoonmage20,

Short answer...

When we sleep the brain produces a chemical that keeps us from acting out our dreams (keeps us from moving).

There are times when our mind wakes up before our body does and due to the effects of this chemical we feel as if we can not move.

There are occasions where this feeling also involves the feeling of being sat on and can sometimes include 'lingering images' (for lack of a better term) from our dream state which our brains interpret as 'real' just before the mind and body are absolutely fully awake.

So that's it in a 'nut shell'. Hope it helps...

Respectfully,

Rook
Blackmoonmage20 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
When did you experienced it? You know, sometimes I also experience sleep paralysis. But when I'm paralyzed, I couldn't open my eyes nor move my body. It makes me panicked and scared (im just 11-12 years old that time. Now i'm 13), I don't know what to do. I really fought the urged to wake up and fortunately, I woke up later. Just sharing my experience. Hope you don't mind...hehe.
Last question: anyone knows why we experience sleep paralysis?

Thanks for sharing! And share further experiences. God bless! 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-01)
Hello tassle1991, welcome to the world of believers. Well, why don't you advise your friend to do cleansing as explained by Rook in this site. May be that could help. But, if what the expert, who came to the house said that there is a negative entity having ill-will about the family, then perhaps they should seek professional help to get rid of the entity. You say he is your best friend, advise him to get professional help.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
th3s0nofl0v3 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-30)
From your experience, I believed every single word you have said. But my goodness your friend them have lived in the house 18 years and they've already notice before that many strange things had happened there. They should moved to a different area sooner or before they could get hurt. Living in a house that had evil spirits in it is not a safe place, and its dangerous.
sssi (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-30)
sleep paralysis is natural and normal phenomenon, but sleep paralysis doesn't explain other weird things that happened to
Tassle, and as we all can read in lot of other stories here where sleep paralysis is followed with some other not so normal situations. Uh... I don't know.
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-30)
I'm not too clued up on sleep paralysis, either, but I think when you're asleep your brain temporarily shuts your body down to prevent one from acting out their dreams

Sometimes, when we wake up, our body doesn't and this can be truly terrifying. It's happened to myself on a number of occassions!

I have read up that you can still see and hear things that are linked to one's dream, even though objects in the room are visible. It all gets muddled up and you think everything paranormal/strange in the room is physically there.

Hope this makes sense.

Lakota73 😊
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-09-30)
Sleep paralysis is a perfectly non-paranormal phenomenon that can be explained better by someone else... I don't really know a whole lot about it and have never experienced it myself. As for the strange noises heard, if the house is old (is it?), then it could well be just "old house" noises. And it is possible that your friend might have been trying to scare you, of course. My friends do things like that all the time.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: