You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunting?

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunting?

 

My husband and I rented a small house in my hometown. I knew the couple who lived in the house many years before and the wife had died in the house and wasn't discovered for three days. They were kind, good people and knew me as a small child. The husband used to dress up as Santa for me. He worked with my father in a refinery. Now to the story.

Not long after we moved into the house I began to notice odd things. Items would be moved, the shower curtain would be pulled open or closed when I was fairly sure I had left it the opposite direction, soft noises like footsteps or floor boards creaking. I had a picture of Jesus in the hallway and it would never stay on the wall. I checked the nail, used a stud finder (it was a lightweight picture), and could never explain why it fell. I saw what I called dancing lights-small points of light that "danced" all over the house. Our dog would stand in the doorway of the bedroom and tremble and growl and he would not go into the room. I could not sleep in that room so we moved into the spare bedroom.

I was afraid to go into the garage to do laundry unless my husband was with me. I'm not sure why I was afraid but my palms would sweat and my mouth would get dry. A couple of times while cooking dinner I thought I heard a voice say, "Smells good." No one was home but me.

I became so frightened that when my husband went to work I would stay with my parents and come home when my husband got home. I never found any plausible explanations for the events. I looked to see if cars were driving down the street with their lights on when I would see the dancing lights. When the picture would fall I would run to the front porch to see if a large truck had gone down the street. I could not connect the paranormal activities with physical activities.

We stayed until our six month lease was up and moved out. I have never been a believer in the paranormal and am still skeptical but I cannot explain the strange events while living in that house. I've had no other experiences.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, majikflute, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-02)
You know, Majikflute, (cool name btw) I suspect that death itself is attractive to some spirits. Just because someone died in the house doesn't guarantee that same person is haunting the home. There must be a circumstance, maybe the actual passage of the deceased, that facilitates other spirits moving in.
aoife (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-02)
well that's strange I wonder how could this all tie up? Well I guess at least oyur now out of the house
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-01)
Horrible the lady was not found for 3 days, that's sad. The fear you experienced from these benevolent experiences you can blame Hollywood for, they sensationalise everything to do with the paranormal. 😠
I think the wife may still be present in the home just looking out and over things and probably want a little attention. I hope she has moved on since you moved out, quite a sad way to go in the end! Thanks for sharing with us here!

Dan
majikflute (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-27)
Newhunter, the husband had died a few years previous to the wife's death. She was in her late 60's or early 70's. They had no children and no known family left. She stayed to herself except to visit with her neighbor and friends on the phone. Her neighbor realized after three days that she hadn't seen her and went over to check. The car was in the garage and the neighbor got no response so she called the police and they found her dead, estimating it had been 3 days.
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-26)
Some of the things you stated could be explained as the house settling such as the creaking boards but other things like the talking well those things I would sayare probably more along the lines of paranormal. The lights dancing does have the poosibility of being light reflecting off of an item in your house. I am curious though why did the wife take three days to discover, if you know the answer.
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
Hello majikflute,

I first thought these hauntings came most likely from the wife of the couple you knew who lived there before you and had died in the house. But then I read your reply to the comments where you shared how the owner of the building said he always has difficulties holding renters... In our neighbourhood we also have such a place which has been -welcoming- new tenants as long I can remember.

My grandmother (my fathers mother) passed on in January here in our house. And on a moment when I was taking a nap during a lazy Sunday afternoon later this year I heard her voice in my room calling my name. She sounded upset seeing me from where she was wasting the rich hours of the day I guess!

Much enjoyed reading your story. Hope what ever spooked around in that house has stayed there and your both doing fine!

Peter,
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
If it was oklahoma I wished I knew where it was at. I'd like to find a good haunted house to investigate near me.
majikflute (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
My mother would tell me that if the house was haunted (and she was a bigger skeptic than I) then I should know that the couple we knew would never harm me; that they cared a great deal for me when I was young. But my thought was that perhaps it wasn't the couple I knew but perhaps someone else who had lived in the house. That house is a rental unit still and the landlord told me he has difficulty keeping tenants but wouldn't say why.
Wgsmms (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
Very interesting story and thank you for sharing. I remember as a pre teen moving to a flat that just scared my entire family, many of the same experience like you mentioned. I am glad you are out of the house and that you have found a calmer place to reside.
makisupa76 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
I enjoyed this story. Thank you for sharing. I liked the story because you were clear and to the point and did not try and infer a lot of explanations, which I think makes the account even scarier. As well as the fact that you have never had any other experiences.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
Dear majikflute,
A wonderfully crisp & curt narration, congratulations. Those 6 months must have been horrible for you. Thank Goodness that you are out of there!
I have a similar tale of my Grandfather who was a skeptic all his life and yet could neither accept nor denounce something which happened to him one night... And he was not alone!
Read it if you find time ❤

Thanks
Regards
Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I definitely think that that house is haunted. I've experienced the same sort of things in the house I live in now. I was nervous at first, but over time the activity has almost gone away. Every once in a while, I'll sense or see something, but I'm usually not afraid, just startled.
However, there is a spot in our backyard, near the side of our old barn, that I do not like to go near. It creeps me out everytime, and I'm not sure why.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
Thank you for this lucid, well-written account of what must have been a terrifying experience for you. What interests me so much is the physical manifestations of your fear - they were much stronger than the incidents you described, like the voice, the lights and the falling picture.

Majiclfute, overall I think you have added to the conversation here and I look forward to reading what others have to say.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: