You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: La Llorona

Real Ghost Stories

La Llorona

 

Hi, my name is Michelle, I'm a mother of four children but when this happened, I only had two, my oldest was five and my youngest was just a baby. When my second child was about four months old, we lived in a trailer park across the street from an open field in Sodus Point, NY. It was supposedly a battlefield in the war of 1812. One night, around midnight, he woke up crying, I heard someone or something singing or rather chanting to him, it sounded so weird. I couldn't understand her, but she kept singing until he went back to sleep. This proceeded to happen every time he woke up in the middle of the night up until the night before we moved.

Needless to say he slept with me every night, I was really scared that something would happen to him. I never figured out what it was. Some people tell me it was the ghost of a slave and other people say it might have been the ghost of a nurse, and yet other people said it could be a ghost called la llorona. She threw her children into the water and drowned them and was condemned to walk the earth until she finds her children. She supposedly steals babies in the night trying to make up for the children she murdered. It still scares me. So what do you think can anybody help me on this one? Let me know please!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shelly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Yuan29 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-19)
Well,she walks around the earth only at Mexico because that was where she drowned her children in a river. The best way is to get a Jesus cross and pray that your house is being protected by him. 😊 I hoped that helped you
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
As many other of the commenters, the spirit you heard was probly someone who died there, possibly a nurse or kind spirit. I wouldn't be too afraid god bless, Katherine.
ghosthunter1227 (14 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-19)
i aswell grew up listening to this, and the women that sang to your child is not her for she is a malevolent spirit possibly demonic, and you lived near a war zone there's your answer, and I have never her ever appear in new york, but in mexico, texas near a river.
Sassy_Lash3s (2 stories) (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-11)
i grew up listening to that ghost story and to be very honest, I don't believe it. There are a lot of versions of it that just doesn't make it seem real
spica (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
Interesting story, I say... So, just keep praying and go to church on SUNDAYS... GOD Bless you and Have a nice day...❤ 😁 😆
jeya (4 stories) (30 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-14)
hey, I agree with everyone. I don't see this spirit as being harmful to the baby, also when you were talking about the myth "la llorona", it is mostly based in mexico I have heard that version so many times in so many different ways and I am almost certain it wasn't her trying to steal your child. Anyways good luck. Take care
scaredofsleep (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-14)
If the spirit wanted to harm your baby it would have, I think that was a kind spirit. Possibly a dead family member or a ghost that roamed the land you once knew and just wanted to help out.
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-13)
Hi shelly, wow, this must have been a scary experience but like Shane said, don't be afraid, it doesn't sound like this spirit meant any harm to you or your son. I don't know about La Llorona because mainly I've read stories about people encountering her like near a river or in the woods but I don't think I've heard anywhere about her stealing babies. It could be true but I'm just saying that don't be scared, this spirit so far seems like a nice one. Take care
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-13)
whatever it was singing or chanting top your baby, I would have done the same thing. Babies bond to those caring for them. I certainly want to know who and or what my child bonds with!
shelly (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-13)
Thanks to everybody for putting my mind at ease. I really feel much better regarding the situation. The wierd thing was that it stopped happening when we moved. That was why I thought it had something to do with the field acroos the street from us. People have said that the field is haunted. I don't know if that's true or not I just know that everytime I drive by it gives me the creeps.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Shelly, I do not believe you had anything to fear. For one, in my 26 years of investigating and studying the paranormal I have never once heard of a child being stolen by a ghost, a monster yes, a human monster that is, but not a ghost. I would have to agree with lenalaney that it was more than likely a maturnal spirit coming in to comfort your son. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Shelly, I've also had this happen to me when my daughter was a baby. No singing, just sweetly spoken words. I awoke one morning to her crying. As I got up to get her, I heard "Hush baby, hush baby" over the baby monitor. I thought that my husband hadn't left for work yet. My daughter went back to sleep and so did I. The next time she woke up crying, the same thing happened..."Hush baby, hush baby" I checked out the bedroom window and my husbands car was gone. So... It wasn't him. I felt like it was an benevolent spirit watching over my baby. Seems like you may have had one...too.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Hi Shelly, Echo on the La Llorna folk talk. Please, don't worry about her. Some say she was mostly just a myth to scare children from traveling to the rivers alone (so they wouldn't get hurt or drown!) This parabel is told in different forms throughout the world to teach children that certain things, like water, are dangerous and powerful. Please feel free to ignore this, but I want to share my personal theory. I think this is likely a protective spirit, but who can blame you for being afraid!? The spirit we can guess is a spirit either of a family member, or more likely a spirit who feels motherly toward your child. That being said, I think you did the right thing by protecting your child during the weird chants. You are more powerful than a spirit. Bless You and your babies!
shelly (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Hey,its alright no hurt feelings here. I knew there would be some criticism when I posted my story.I've seen quite a few of them on here that were pretty incredible. So don't worry about it. Thanks for the advice too. I appreciate it. I thought that it may have been the ghost of a nurse just because of some of the tragic events that have occured in that area.
Lenalaney (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Sorry Shelly, I didn't mean to sound mean when I wrote this commentary. Since Chloe the slave of Myrtles Plantation had accidentally killed her mistress and her two children in an effort to reinstate her status with the master by nursing them back to health, she is still haunting the place taking care of the tourists that stay there, I can see where there is a comparison to La Llorona in soothing your crying son. I was not familiar with this aspect of the legend, but it is possible. Most ghosts are location bound, however, and my feeling is another woman who resided in or around your house lost her own child and was drawn to your son's crying. As she sang to her own son in an effort to nurse him back to health, she repeated this maternal instinct with your son. I don't have the feeling there is/was anything to be feared. On the contrary, she did you a favor. She could not and would not steal your son, but instead spewed forth motherly love. Don't be afraid; instead bless this woman and pray that she may find peace and take her place on the other side where she belongs. Blessings!
shelly (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Hi,Lenalaney I was just recounting the story as it was told to me by my ex husband. I do realize that there are many versions of that story. I kind of just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of what it was that was singing these songs to my child.
Lenalaney (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Yes, she does drown her children in the river for fear of them languishing in poverty and is often heard crying by the river. She committed suicide after her heinous act of drowning her children became known to the public. It's the weeping that people hear associated with her and thus, the song. I never heard of her stealing children but like most folk legends there are many variations.
Lenalaney (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
La llorona is a famous ghost story from Mexico upon which the song in Spanish is based "La llorona" which means a weeping woman. According to the legend, a beautiful peasant girl was wooed by an aristocratic gent with whom she had a couple of children. She thought he would one day marry her, but instead married someone more befitting his status. I can't remember if she committed suicide or what, but this legend can be looked up. The name is very misleading and bears no relevence to the actual legend. The endings in Spanish ending in (a) are feminine and is therefore inadequate and misrepresentative of your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: