You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: La Llorona, The Crying Woman

Real Ghost Stories

La Llorona, The Crying Woman

 

My mom is a first generation American. Her parents moved from Chihuahua, Mexico to El Paso, Texas before she was born. The supernatural was very prevalent in both sides of her family. My grandfather claims that we are descended from the Apache warlord Victorio and that the spirit of Victorio appeared to him and his brothers when he was a young man. My mom had many experiences with ghosts and spirits but she said that none was more terrifying than her experience with La Llorona.

Her family lived in a decent sized house on the banks of a canal on the south side of El Paso. At the time, the family had three dogs. My mom describes all of them as the toughest dogs on the block. One night in the dead of winter, my grandfather was telling my mom one of his many great stories, when there was a loud commotion in the front yard where the dogs were. The dogs were barking to wake the dead. My mom and her dad went outside into the front to see what was going on. They were joined by my grandmother. They had not noticed this before but a fog was slowly creeping around the street. The air was chill, but different from the cold of winter, the cold went down to the very bone. The three dogs were barking towards the fog or more accurately toward the canal that was by the house.

Suddenly a blood curdling scream pierced the night air. My mom described it as the most terrifying cry she has heard in her entire life. She says that it lasted for a full minute before finally dissipating. When the scream left, the fog lifted and the dogs returned to the way they were before. My mom asked her dad what the scream was but all he said was, "La Llorona" and told her to go to bed. Naturally she couldn't sleep and instead listened to her parents debate over whether or not to call the cops and report a murder or something.

In the morning, when it was light out, my grandfather went down to the canal but unsurprisingly found nothing. When he came back he told my mom the legend of the woman who drowned her own children and is now fated to cry out for them on the banks of the river where she killed them. And to this day, my mom is convinced that she heard La Llorona on that night so many years ago.

Another close associate of mine who has had a close encounter with La Llorona is my former karate instructor and confirmation class teacher. He is Irish, and a devout Catholic, but firmly believes in the existence of ghosts and the paranormal.

When he was a teenager, he lived in New Mexico, close to the borders with Texas and Mexico. Like any good teenager looking for a rush, he liked to ride around with his brothers after dark and watch for ghosts in the old graveyards. One night, he and his brothers managed to convince a couple of girls they were sweet on to come along. They were sitting in their car in the middle of the desert when a deep fog started setting in. They were unsettled and decided to leave but the car wouldn't start! Suddenly, he says that everything went completely and utterly pitched black "like someone had thrown a tarp over the car..." My friend flipped but his brothers were frozen in their seats unable to move a muscle. He yelled but they still didn't move. He reached over and managed to finally start the car. He was fifteen and didn't even have a license but he drove out of there like a bat out of hell!

When his heart finally stopped racing, he stopped the car. He turned to his brother and asked him what the hell happened back there. His brother, with his face still white asked him incredulously, "Jim, did you not see her?" He shook his head no and asked his brother what he was talking about. His brother told him that when everything had gone black, a strange translucent white woman appeared outside of the car. She looked like a wicked witch. She reached her hand into the car, through the closed window for Jim's neck but stopped and drew back when she touched it. She than disappeared and that was when the car started.

Jim reached up to his neck and fingered the St. Michael medal he always wore. He firmly believed that the archangel responsible for defeating Satan protected him on that night. Whether the spirit was a demon, La Llorona or some other frightful specter does not matter. Jim is firmly convinced that it was La Llorona and that she was stopped from whatever evil she intended. And he never stops praying to St. Michael.

***This two stories were personally related to me by the person's involved, the first by Norma McIntyre of Brunswick, Georgia and the second by Jim Keane of St. Simons Island, Georgia***

Other hauntings by exorcist81

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, exorcist81, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whisperingwoodspodcast (2 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-03-09)
Hi,

I came across your story and I'd love to use it in a book I'm writing. The story would be completely re-written in my own style, but the main elements would remain the same. The book will be published in March 2025 and it is a collection of folklore and scary stories.

The reason I am emailing is to request your permission. If this is something you are agreeable to, please let me know.

Many thanks and best wishes

Sarah
The Whispering Woods Podcast
thepharaohsdaughter (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-08)
wow that's very good
I really enjoyed these strange stories but I liked them so much 😊
maria_sz_1980 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-09)
wanted to add our experience after reading exorcist81's post,
(we also are descendants of Chihenne (Warm Springs Apache) leader Victorio)

of La Llorona, nothing could be more sorrowful or evil than a mother drowning her own helpless children, that is why it is so powerful and stays with all of us who grew up with these stories,
thank you for posting your story, had an experience one fall night in Arenas Valley, New Mexico of La Llorona,

We were all snuggled up in one bed after watching movie since dad was out of town.
it was very chilly that night, kind of felt strange the cold dampness of the night air when I went outside earlier to check on things, usually you can see a million stars in the wide expanse of beautiful New Mexico night sky, this night though it felt as if the whole sky had been blanketed with a suffocating blackness, the air was damp,thick, still gives chills thinking about it,
We had just fallen asleep when awakened by a piercing long scream, my sons 11 and 3 years old were very shaken by the cry, (or mournful squall-seems better description) that came from the arroyo about 20 feet from our bedroom window, trying to calm them I told the boys it must be the cry of a cougar, though knew it was not a cat or a human that caused that horrible sound, the paralyzing fear/impending doom that swept over us, have never felt before or since that night, still not sure why it happened, if we did anything to trigger it. The arroyo were it came from, though dry at that time had been a raging river just outside our door when the rains hit a few weeks before. Just recounting this experience gives goosebumps all the way up my arms and legs!
JuggaloSkittlez (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-28)
Hey, one of my friends told me this story based on this. He was sayin that this one girl was going to get married to this person who she loved, and the dude told her to kill her children if they want to get married. So she did by drowning them and after she did that she went to the dude and told him that she killed her children but then the dude said that she wouldn't marry him and went away. So then the girl got all depressed and commited suicide. So then she went heaven and god told her if she wants to stay in heaven she has to find her children that she drowned and bring them with her, but before that, he took her eyes so she had to search blind, so now she roams the streets searching for her children. I don't know if I told the story rite because this was a while ago that he told me about it
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
great an extreme story! I think she wants to hurt him keep us posting and so share still more posts
Scary boy
lovejvforsaken21 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-01)
I use to live in Juarez MX and when I was about six, I woke up one night because I heard my brothers talking and I saw them looking around outside the window. Suddenly, I heard this AHHHH (her cry, I guess) I don't know how to explain what it felt to hear that. My parents ran to get us, It was like an echo but we didn't see anything. The next day our neighborhood couldn't stop talking about it. Honestly until two weeks ago when my family was talking about it I thought it was all I dream. My dad was saying that God didn't want her until she would find her kids and that it's not just her it happens to who ever kills their kids. You can hear people like that all over the world because people made those kinds of mistakes and maybe that's why people hear it in other places besides Mexico... I don't know but goodness it was scary.
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-20)
It must be noted that the legend of La Llorona isn't exclusive to the borders between USA-Mexico.
It has been told for a very long time, when Mexico was known as "La Nueva España". And the woman appeared on the Lake of Xochimilco (Mexico City), wearing a white gown and crying for her children. Legend has it, she killed them because her husband had run off with another woman, it was a very sick form of revenge; after murdering the children, she killed herself.
The prehispanic Aztecs had their own version: the Goddess Cihuacoatl. A beautiful woman dressed in white that walked the waters of the Lake as she cried. She was considered as the first sign of the coming of the Spaniards, a sort of warning that no one heeded.
She138 (13 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
Speaking as a Mexican-American, I am fairly certain that Every single person that lives on the Rio Grande or within 15 miles has seen or heard her. I will agree that some weird shiat happens there, but I seriously doubt it's the same culprit every scream for hundreds of years in so many different locations.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Hi excorcits81 this was a very good story. I to am a little sceptic if we talk about urban legends. But these legends didn't come out of thin air. Maybe this wasn't La Lloruna but could have been a different spirit. I'm very glad that god is with you and your faith is so strong. With faith there is no evil to fear. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
So many people claim to have seen La Llorona, that it makes me wonder:what if there is something behind this urban legend?

Well, whatever the case, I find her story very disturbing as this story quite interesting.

Thanks
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
HI, it wasn't a demon because there aren't any demons. There not real. So if it was not La Llorona I don't know what it was. But besides that cool story. I was pretty 😨 because I have heard of the story of La Llorona. Still cool story exorcitst81.
GIRLIE
😁
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
These were some nice thrilling stories but I'm afraid that they are urban legends. Every area has their own legends that eveybody swears that they're true. Who knows maybe they are. I enjoyed them nevertheless, thanks for sharing. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
WOW. I like this story. I think she was reaching to hurt him, But I do think that in life she was horrible and now in death she still is. I hope you have more experiances and keep us updated
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-18)
Greetings and salutations,

Firstly I want to say it feels good having the first comment status! Secondly I liked the story, thrilling and scary go hand in hand. Did your mother ever do more research on the site? And was the woman tried for killing her children?

Thank you for posting and sharing your story. God bless you and deus vobiscum.

Sincerely,

Francois

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: