You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: USS Blue

Real Ghost Stories

USS Blue

 

While stationed at OXNARD, CA - on the Naval Station there, I had the opportunity to go aboard several ships that were being de-commissioned and taken to sea to be sunk by missile tests. Along with two other swabbies. We all headed over to the area where the Ships were tied. We went aboard the group there. The ship in the middle was an old WW2 Destroyer named BLUE. USS BLUE was tied up alongside several other TIN CANS waiting to be hauled out and sunk. Porterfield was another. Sort of sad. I was on them to "acquire" a few items. One was the Executive Officers Safe from his Stateroom. It was a very - very hot day. And down in the guts of a dead ship -- it can get very - very hot. Over 100 degrees...

We were all in the Officers Quarters area of the Ship (USS BLUE) when one of the guys picked up a Chinese coin from the deck after we had helped him move out the standing drawer unit there. Also, finding some WW2 Cigarettes and a "temporary" commission for an officer during the Vietnam Crapola...

We were all sweating - so darn hot. When all of a sudden - there was a movement of air. Then so cold we all got the goose bumps. Thinking something was strange - we moved into another part of the ship. HOT - HOT... One of the guys said let's go back in there! So - we all did. And again. VERY - VERY cold. And some strange sounds. Like a whisper. We left! Went over to another ship. And - HOT - HOT. No cold spots at all. One of the guys said he had felt something touch him shortly after picking up the Chinese coin. No doubt - Something was there, trying to get a point across. Since it was a WW2 Ship, I am thinking either someone was killed aboard her - or maybe it was the coin ? I'll never know - USS BLUE is at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean now.

Top

Other hauntings by top

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, top, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

morock48 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
Kecoughtan

Thank you for your information, which is absolutely correct. My father in law has passed and I'm sure he is reunited with some
Of his old shipmates. He was wounded when the ship was hit my 2 japanese torpedos while on patrol in the ironbottom sound. He was seriously wounded and transported to australia on Aug. 22 1942. I did find the coin
Story interesting though.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
You are both actually correct, top and morock48! As morock48 indicated USS Blue (DD-387) was launched in 1937 scuttled in 1942 after being torpedoed by a Japanese destroyer. BUT--as often happened--a second USS Blue (DD-744) was launched later that year. It reported to the Pacific Fleet in 1944. As top indicated, USS Blue also served in Korea and in Mary 1977 was sunk off the coast of California. So, that's the ship in his story. There's a lot of history on both USS Blues available on the internet. Check out

Http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/bunker/3872/

Morock48, have your father-in-law take a look. There are photos, history, and guys interested in reunions.
morock48 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
Are you confused. My father in-law served and was wounded on the USS Blue, DD-387 in WWII. That destroyer was torpedoed by a Japanese Ship the Kawakazes off Guadalcanal on 8-23-1942. It was scuttled by the US Navy one day later. It remains in the Iron Bottom Sound off Guadalcanal.

Fact not Fiction

Morock48
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-17)
Greetings,

Hello Top, I did some research on the USS Blue, as it turns out, it served both in the Second World War and also the Korean War. It participated at many battles Iwo Jima assault, conquest of Okinawa, Luzon raids, The Volcanos-Bonin-Yap raid and many more. That ship likely lost a lot of crew members and maybe that is why you felt a prescence.

As for the coin, I don't really know what to say. Thank you for posting the story and I would certainly like to read more about your ghostly experiences. God bless, deus vobiscum and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Top, thank you for sharing your story with us. You could always do a little research into the history of the USS Blue and see if she did in fact sustain any damage during her commission. From one salty dog to another thanks again for your story.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: