You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Lady From The Cupboard

Real Ghost Stories

The Lady From The Cupboard

 

I am new to this forum, so excuse me if I don't come across clearly all the time.

I have had "paranormal" experiences throughout most of my life and have kept it to myself as some people have said to me that I'm "gepla met die duiwel", South Africans will understand those words. To others I think that means that I have an active imagination (I think that's it).

My father was in the Army, so we moved around a lot. The first time I remember something strange happening to me was when I was in std 1 (grade 3), that should have been in 1982. We were living in Kroonstad, in the military base. It was a mobile home.

One day my mother and her neighbour thought it would be fun to play glassy glassy (a form of Ouija board). I was curious and watched them play. They pushed the glass around and laughed a lot. Can't remember what questions they asked or this "spirit's" name they communicated with. They were sitting on my bedroom floor playing this game. I don't remember being scared, just enjoyed watching them have fun. You know grown-ups are weird.

That night I woke up feeling scared. As I sat up I saw a lady climbing out of my cupboard. She made me think of my mom, but it wasn't her. She was looking at me and grinning (like those grins in the toothpaste ads). Her eyes weren't smiling. She had a long dress on and I could see her clearly even though the room was dark. She didn't glide it was like she stepped down from inside the cupboard. She looked real but somehow not real, I can't explain.

I just stared at her, lay down, closed my eyes tightly and pretended I didn't see her.

What is strange, sitting here and typing this I remember everything in such detail. This has haunted me all these years. I have never had the desire to play glassy glassy or other such spirit games, since that night.

What I would like to know, was it coincidence that she appeared the same night that my mom had played glassy glassy or wasn't it?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NessaJ, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

NessaJ (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Hi valkricry

I agree 100% with you about how people have this perception of people who experience supernatural incidences.

I also found it strange not remembering screaming. I think as a child you tend to remember the things that really impact you.

I do however remember fighting with her about it.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Nessa,
I think, at least it is so with me, that most of us on this site can identify with others thinking we're A) crazy, B) over imaginative, C) 'weird'. So, we tend to keep our experiances to ourselves. That's 'normal', and what make's a site like this so great. We can finally share these things with others, who don't just shrug it off. And no matter how 'strange' our experiance may have been, at least they'll try and understand it.
Isn't it odd, how you can remember it with such clarity, but either forgot or surpressed the screaming part? I'm different. I had an experience as a child, maybe 9 or 10 years old, and I really recall screaming my head off! I was so terrified that neighbors called the police, thinking something awful was happening. Hey, everyone is different, we all react different - and I bet if I dared to ask my siblings would say they either don't remember it, or add details that I don't recall either. 😊
NessaJ (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
I have just spoken to my mom. She says that she remembers that I did start screaming and came into the room. She didn't see anything, but the cupboard door was open and she always locked it so that it would not open by itself. I have always had this fear of open wardrobes since she can remember. I would not sleep if it was ajar, I still can't.

She laughed and said, I accused her the next morning when I said that she mustn't climb out of the cupboard anymore. She says that I was terrified out of my wits and believes it was real.

She hasn't experienced anything strange in that house at all. She will get back to me if she remembers any incidences from that house.
NessaJ (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
[at] harrypotterrules. That is the direct translation. What someone usually means when they say that, they are being sarcastic to you. They are saying that you believe everything that happens to you is from the devil/you just want attention or you have an overactive imagination.

I never believed my supernatural experiences were demonic except for one time. I didn't tell "ghost Stories" to get attention, I was and am a shy person. And for the overactive imagination, I did badly in English class when it cam to writing fiction.

I hope this explained it better. 😳
NessaJ (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
[at] JennZ, LOL I was frightened. I haven't seen the grudge, have always wanted to.
harrypotterrules (59 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
Note: For people who don't speak Afrikaans (the language of South Africa in addition to English), the words "gepla met die duiwel" mean "bothered with the devil (lit.) / haunted by a demonic entity." This is from Google Translate.
JennZ (72 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
If this is a relative, maybe they didn't have enough energy, until your Mom and Aunt played with the board. But, I would of screamed and probably p!ssed myself if I saw something like that! Your experience reminds me of that creepy movie the Grudge...
NessaJ (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
Hi ada-iram. I didn't know at the time what the game was about, I only understood much later what they were doing. I was only 8. But maybe it could have been that. It's a possibility that subconsciously it affected me. Thanks for your opinion, it's much appreciated.😊
ada-iram (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
Hi, nessaj
After reading your exprience I just felt, it's wasn't something spritul it's just your thinking.
Maybe b'coz of the game you played.
NessaJ (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
Thank you to all for welcoming me.

[at] SDS, I don't remember the time, just remember it was dark and that everyone was sleeping already.
I remember asking my mother about the lady and the resemblance. She made a joke and said she could be her brother's twin sister who died in infancy. All the sisters look a lot the same and she could have taken this form as not to scare me. I will phone her and ask if she had any other experiences. My brothers were too young to remember anything.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
Hi NessaJ, welcome to YGS. I do not think that it has got anything to do with your mother playing with Ouija Board. But, did you see it only once or did you ask your mother whether she had any such experiences. I feel that it could be residual haunting. But cannot be sure without any further sightings and timings. Exactly at what time did you see that entity? It might help. Try to ask other inmates of the house if they have seen any entity or ghosts or spirits or even neighbours. If you have made any research, please post it.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
NessaJ (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
I took your advice and did some research. There was a concentration camp in the area, at the beginning of the 20th century. This was during the Anglo Boer war. Lots of women and children were imprisoned there and died from the poor living conditions. It could be something like that.

I couldn't find anything about suspicious deaths as the army kept such stuff as secret. I will keep researching and get back to you.

Hopefully someone from Kroonstad might know of any possible "scandal" from that time.
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
ever find out who the woman in the cupboard was? Should do a bit of a history research... Might some wrid story attached or a legend
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
First of all, welcome to YGS. 😊

I'm not an expert on the paranormal, and after 30 years since you had this experience it would be difficult to say what exactly was; perhaps the ghost lady knew that you are sensitive to spirits and saw the glassy glassy session like an opportunity to try to communicate with someone, but since your mother and her friend were "playing" and, probably, are not sensitive, she waited until night time to get your attention. But I'm only guessing.

Thank you for sharing, I hope to read more of your experiences soon.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: