You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Dark Shadow Watching Me Sleep

Real Ghost Stories

The Dark Shadow Watching Me Sleep

 

A few weeks ago my day had gone as normally as possible. Nothing extraordinary or unexplained, just the normal humdrum of daily family life. We went to bed just after midnight that night completely relaxed and in good spirits. If I recall correctly, I even fell asleep quite quickly compared to the usual laying there in bed for some time until I fell asleep. I cannot even recall dreaming before I suddenly woke up.

I am not sure what exactly woke me up. There was no odd or loud noise, no extreme weather, or anything else that might normally wake a person up from a sound sleep. But there I was, sitting upright suddenly like I had awaken from a horrible dream. I had a feeling that I can not quite explain that someone or something had made me wake up, right at that moment, for a reason. And what I saw terrified me. As soon as I woke and sat up, I saw a dark shadow standing right next to the bed where I was laying. I only saw him for a few moments, but even after that I could still FEEL him standing there. Yes, I say him and not it. Again I cannot explain how I know, I just seem to know deep down that the energy I was feeling was a male. And as I said, although I only physically saw the figure for a few moments, I could still sense the energy coming from that same spot.

I was instantly overwhelmed with fear. I did not get a feeling that the energy or spirit or whatever it was meant me any harm, just that he was standing there intently watching me. That was it, just watching me. Yet I was for some reason consumed with a very strong uncomfortable feeling. Most of us know that uncomfortable feeling of constantly being watched. Take that and magnify it many times, as I actually did see something right beside me when I woke up. That is what it felt like.

Now I have read many times that energy feeds off of energy. That a spirit or entity can 'feed' off of your fear. I will admit I really do not have the experience or knowledge to know much about it. But I do know that I was terrified and I was not willing to take any chances. I mustered up the sternest voice I could and said out loud "You are not welcome here. You have to leave. Now! Go! NOW!". By the end of saying that, I instantly felt stronger, like I was not so afraid anymore. And slowly... I felt like that energy I was feeling beside me was leaving. After a few minutes, I no longer felt it at all. I was no longer feeling afraid.

I will admit I had a very hard time falling back asleep that night. And ever since then I get that same uncomfortable feeling if I think about what happened that night. But I tell myself to be strong and not afraid, and that feeling goes away. And so far, I have not had a repeat visit from that black shadowed energy next to my bed.

I have had numerous experiences where I have seen a black shadow or almost transparent mist, each one having the shape of a full body yet no clearly defined features. Each time it was in a different place. We were the builders of our home. So I do know that the home itself has no past history. But as I stated, this is NOT the first time I have had a similar experience. Although each time I did, I only saw the shadow or mist figure for a few moments. And admittedly, I questioned whether or not I actually did see it. Yet each time, the experience was also accompanied by very strong emotions or weird feelings as well. Such as this one, how even though I could no longer physically see the shadow figure I could physically feel a presence still standing next to me.

I am trying to make sense of this. I have heard many many stories of people witnessing apparitions. But are they usually accompanied by sensing other things as well, such as the ones I felt here? Is there any explanation anyone could give as to why I feel like somehow I know deep down without a doubt that this presence was a male presence? Is there a difference between seeing a black shadowy figure and a white almost transparent mist figure? And is it possible that a person could be haunted, instead of a place? I ask this last question because as I stated before I have had numerous similar experiences, all in different locations. Yet they have all (but 2) been in places I have lived, present and in the past. Any opinions, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Other hauntings by EdenMarie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EdenMarie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

dzou (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
I was searching exactly for this kind of event, if anyone else experienced it. From the amount of answers, (un) luckily there are others.

My experience was bit more rough, it felt like an attack. There were few other unpleasant occasions, which did not involve the figure per se. I'm glad that your ones do not have such a nature.

If it should help anyone reading this, this is the information which I gathered so far. It is all biased by me being a Christian, but deal with it:

What does really work for me is a) prayer b) actively asking for protection by Jesus and God. The effect is rather instant. I never tried to actually "face" it myself, it felt dangerous subconciously.

There has been some research on sleep paralysis and they compared two groups (from Denmark and from Egypt). Conclusion was that people from Egypt suffered from longer periods of paralysis, stronger fear and it was more commonly connected with "supernatural" observations/feelings. Obviously cultural bias is involved, Egyptians are "believers" while Denmark is one of the most atheist countries. You can find it and read it yourself but one implication there is not excluded - the more you are involved with "supernatural" the more susceptible you can be. That is my personal belief.

That is to say, I assume (with little to 0 evidence) that getting yourself involved with whatever "supernatural" will make you probably experience more of it in future. There is an obvious explanation that you see what you "want" to see but people with personal experience will have their own thoughts on this;)

Therefore, and there is no guarantee that it is a good advice, I recommend to avoid contacting, looking for or communicating with any such entities of doubtful motivation and nature. You might end up pulling yourself into deeper problems. I assume, that whoever figured that doing "magic" is not a commendable idea thousands years ago, might have had some reason.

It is interesting that your immediate reaction was to cast it away. This seems to be a shared and spontaneous thing. Whatever dimensions/worlds/energies/terminological-rubbish it is connected to, it is not meant to be here and interacting with us and vice versa (=my belief on this topic).
harekrishnahareram (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-17)
This morning my girlfriend told me that she saw a shadowy figure standing over me watching me sleep last night. She said she didn't wake me up because she didn't feel threatened by it at all. When she told me, I didn't really feel anything. No chills or anything. Nothing. Just sharing. Unsure what to say.
scaryusernumber111 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Hi,I think you knew that this was a male because he wanted you to know. He might not want to hurt you but it might've wanted to communicate with you. Of all the stories I've heard about being watched by spirits, I find yours a bit more interesting. As you said he ONLY watched you... So it might wanted you to notice him... Or wanted you to communicate with him as I said before!

T.c and stay safe 😊
HassaniSabbah (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-10)
If their ever was a great time for an apparition to show up and scare you it would be while you were trying to sleep in the darkness of the night. This is where people feel very vunrable. Do not show fear towards this apparition or it will get worse, if it wanted to hurt you it would of done so already. You must try your hardest to not show any fear at all, none. Is it appearing in the hours of the day as well, if so try and shed some light on what this apparition is. Thanks and take care.
EdenMarie (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-09)
Miracles,
Thank you so much. I do keep a journal. I've never thought about writing down the phase of the moon though. Do some believe that makes a difference?

As per the difference between the black shadows and white like mists, I do feel there is a difference. I just don't know what. But feeling wise... With the white mists, they have all kind of 'felt' like a more happy presence per say. Like... They just wanted to be near someone. Like I'd said before in my comment one of those times I felt like it was a little boy that just wanted a friend to play games with. With the black shadows however, although this particular experience was different, mostly I got the feeling that these figures were more negative in emotions. Like sad, scared, confused or something.

I have been told before that I am "sensitive" to the presence of ghosts/spirits, because of my heightened senses and empathic abilities. And although I've been having experiences like these since I was a child, I'll admit I never REALLY tried to understand and learn more about it all until recently. I just wrote everything down in my journals, and tried to 'forget about it' in a way. I'm now wishing though I would have taken the time to learn more years ago.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-08)
EdenMarie - thank you for sharing your experience with us. As Isolde indicated, who knows what dwellings may have been on the land prior to your home being built, or what may have occurred on the land itself?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're just like the majority of us here. Kind of a simple way of saying it, but there it is. Some people call us "sensitive," others "gifted," some even consider being able to see ghosts a "curse." I guess it just depends upon the person and the situation.

What I believe is going on, and I could be wrong (have been known to be wrong upon occasion 😉), is because "they" know you have become aware of them, they are seeking you out. Maybe not for any reason other than because you can see them. Personally, I don't think all ghosts want something when they appear to us.

I've experienced both the black shadow and the white misty one. I believe there is a difference in them. You may get differing opinions on the black shadows. My experiences were very benign, so I can't say I think they are bad just because they are black.

As for "knowing" it's male energy, yes it's definitely possible to know the difference. Don't doubt your gut feeling. I think you may be more gifted than you know.

I've had experiences in almost every home I've lived in for the past 30 years (and that's a lot of homes LOL). It's something a lot of us have in common.

Now...suggestion 😆 If you don't keep a journal, I highly recommend keeping one. Even if it's just a line or two when something occurs. With the date, and time if you can, that it occurs, even phase of the moon because sometimes that makes a difference. I've been keeping mine for almost 11 years now. It's been a life-saver 😐

I really enjoyed your story. Welcome to YGS.
EdenMarie (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-08)
Thank you for reading and responding Isolde.
I actually did not know what sleep paralysis was, so I looked it up. I'm not sure that is what happened here. I WAS asleep prior to this experience. But I do not recall any dreams that night, and I nearly always remember my dreams... With very clear vivid detail I might add. And this was the only time I had an experience like this where I was asleep prior to it happening. BUT... I have had dreams involving a black shadow figure. In those dreams however, the figure had red eyes and was taunting me per say... Trying to induce fear. Whereas this experience, as well as the others, it was nothing more than a shadow. And this time a feeling that it was just watching me. I'm not exactly sure how to word it without sounding crazy, but my fear of it on this occassion was more like an extreme uncomfortable feeling of being watched so intensly. Like... I wanted to ask it why it was staring at me. It almost felt as if this shadow was invading my privacy... If that all makes sense. I do question whether this particular experience could be a result of those dreams I have had. Yet if that were the case, why would the 'feeling' I got from it in this experience be so different from that in my dreams?

About your question of feeling like these apparitions could be different ones... I do have a feeling that they are all different. Once the feeling was of a caring older woman who just wanted some company (appeared as a whiteish almost see through mist). Another time a child who was lost and scared. Another child (again as a white mist) who just wanted a friend to play games with. I admit, I have no idea how I would know this. It's just a feeling I get when these experiences have happened. Does that sound weird?

I agree about the home and land. I thought of that after I submitted this story.

Again, I would like to thank you.
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-08)
Hi,
Thank you for sharing your story.

Did you see these apparations always when just waking up? Have you read about sleep paralysis? These experiences can be very very scary, and maybe it could be explained by sleep paralysis, maybe not. And that the weird feelings are a aftermath to the horrible dream you were having. It's only you who can say it could be that, but in my humble opinion I would advise to be open to this kind of explanation as well.

In my view a person, an object or/and a place can be haunted. Or it could be that you're just sensitive. Do the apparations feel like they are the same or could be different ones each time?
About it being a male: well, it could be, the energy from male or female can be different.

About the home: from my own experience, it doesn't matter if your house was new, the land can be older and have other attachments.

Respectfully,
Isolde

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: