You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Smoker

Real Ghost Stories

The Smoker

 

Since I was five, I've seen this figure in the shadows when I try to sleep. It first appeared in November. It's non-distinguishable but for one trait. It's a man about six feet tall having a single cigarette. His presence is only outlined by the glowing ember at the end, but his face is still shrouded in the smoke given off by the cigarette.

Now I've never been scared by this figure, but I did not know what it was, so one night I called my mom into my room. Because that night I woke up and saw him standing directly above me. When she walked in and turned on the lights, I told her about the figure I saw. So, like a typical mom wanting to prove there were no monsters in the darkness, she asked where it was and I pointed to the far corner. All she said was, "There's nothing there. See?" I told her to look at it in the dark cause that's where he lived, in the dark.

She turned out the light and looked at the corner, I'm not sure if she saw the same thing as me but all she did was turn to me, meeting my eyes, and said very gently, "That is your father." He had died only a few months earlier on Halloween and had been estranged from us for years cause of his personal problems. She then continued this time looking at the figure instead of me. "Your father will protect you from any monsters in the dark and will never hurt you. He will watch over you, so don't ever be scared of him." Thinking back on it now, it almost seemed like she was telling him what to do rather than me.

As a child I never thought twice about this. That was until I went to stay with my aunt. Now her house had this rather nasty spirit in it for quite some time in until we had a medicine man bless her house and put up a barrier stopping dark spirits from entering but allowing good spirits to pass freely.

Due to circumstances I had to live with my aunt for a few months but not once did I see him in that time except when I went for a midnight walk or sometimes I'd see him standing on the outskirts of my path home from work after evening shifts but I never saw him inside my aunt's house. Now I'm wondering exactly what exactly is his spirit if it can't pass through the barrier but it protects me and why is he here exactly?

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, musqua_35, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-09)
Maybe when the barrier was put up to ward off the negative energy he felt it would be best if no energies entered and just stays outside to protect you. He might come back in if you invite him and let him know that only he is welcome. Hope to hear more from you Musqua_35.
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
Maybe the barrier was put up wrong and doesn't allow any spirits in? Or he might see the barrier and feel unwelcome even if he could go in?
musqua_35 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-08)
it started a few night after he died but I told my mom few months after he started appearing. He actually had a better relationship with my aunt then my mom when he died and I have seen him in my aunts house many times. Just never after the barrier was put up. He still appears in the shadows and I'm not scared cause he does protected me from negative spirits.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
If it was November the first time you saw your father's ghost and "he had died only a few months earlier on Halloween" that would be only a few weeks or days earlier, - do you mean he passed away a year prior to this experience?

Did your mother keep on seeing him or did he just show himself to you?

I'm glad your father got involved on your life, sadly he did it a little too late denying himself the chance to build a relationship with his child. 😢

Great story, thanks for sharing!
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
Musqua,
I think BJJ might be on to something. You said your father had been estranged from you and your mother for years because of his personal problems. Those same problems may have caused a rift between him and your aunt. Depending on YOUR relationship with your aunt, you might be able to ask her about it. Perhaps he had been told to never set foot in her home, and he still respects that wish.
You want to know why he is there, well no one can say for certain, but this is what I think:
When our children are small they need us very much, and as a parent we try very hard to protect them from any and all harm that might come their way. Sort of like holding their hand to cross the street 24/7. But there comes a day we have to let go of that hand, and let them cross on their own. Doesn't mean we stop worrying, watching, and ready to step in if needed. Maybe that doesn't stop with death. Maybe your dad is just giving you room to grow, but remaining ready just in case. And just near enough to let you know he hasn't left you.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
Musqua_35, I've heard about the evil spirits keeping good spirits at bay. That could be the reason he won't enter the home. Also though BadJuuJuu's explanation makes sense as well. If you see him again, tell him thank you for watching over you. Oh when you see him, do you ever get any peaceful feelings, or evil? That may help to figure out somethings.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
Well, do you know what his relationship was with this aunt? It could be that they weren't the best of friends and he doesn't want to go into the house. It's also very possible that due to the barrier against dark entities he feels you're safe there and don't need him hovering over you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: